Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Jesus myth deniers.

bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.

The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 6:54:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Assuming for a moment jesus did exist, what was his overall importance anyways? How could someone, firstly having to verify his existence, and secondly, possibly know that jesus was the son of god?
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 8:08:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 6:54:59 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Assuming for a moment jesus did exist, what was his overall importance anyways? How could someone, firstly having to verify his existence, and secondly, possibly know that jesus was the son of god?

Those questions have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, I'm sorry.
The thread is a challenge to the theists who claim that the historicity of Jesus is not questioned by any theologians or historians.

Though I agree with your point, it is up to the myth deniers to support their claim that no theologian or historian questions the historicity of a biblical Jesus.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 8:40:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 6:54:59 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Assuming for a moment jesus did exist, what was his overall importance anyways? How could someone, firstly having to verify his existence, and secondly, possibly know that jesus was the son of god?

Well, OF COURSE they knew he was the son of God, because he was also God himself? Aren't you your own father?

They knew this because the 4th century councils picked 4 - already popular - gospels, and one of those four claims that Jesus claimed to be God. And if Jesus was God, he wouldn't lie. So he was obviously telling the truth. (Christian "logic")

If I found an anonymous letter which named you as being a member of an alien race from another galaxy, and deemed that paper to be true, then quite obviously, you're a member of an alien race from another galaxy. It's part of the "if you write it down and someone else likes it, that makes it true" principle. It also makes you a "historical character" because someone wrote something about you. (More "Christian logic")

What I find so amusing is Christians who are perfectly happy to suggest that there is sufficient evidence to proclaim Jesus a historical character if you consider him to be only an a rather ordinary man, then turn right around and proclaim him to be God himself, in the flesh, performer of amazing miracles, feats of pure awe beyond anything anyone has ever done since, and the savior of all mankind. Of course, beyond that is the problem that there isn't even sufficient evidence to suggest that Jesus existed as an ordinary human being with enough influence over a small group to garner sufficient interest in himself to be crucified.

Bayes Theorem doesn't have an opinion or a bias. It's simply an equation. You plug in the appropriate numbers at one end, and on the other side of the equals sign, you find that the evidence is insufficient to proclaim Jesus to be in any way a historical character. And the Christian response to that is "a whole lot of really smart people (and Neutral) claim that he is". By comparison, I suppose if a "whole lot of really smart people" think the Earth is flat, then it's flat. If a "whole lot of really smart people" proclaim that 100 x 100 = 12.87 +f, then the objective, unbiased mathematical function showing that it equals 10,000 must be wrong.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 8:58:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.
Author of "The Pagan Christ", and several other books.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,
Holds a Ph D in New Testament
Holds a Ph D in Systematic Theology
Hods a BA & an MTS degree

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)
Also authored "The Jesus Puzzle"

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Thank you, Bulproof. But I suppose if you can believe in an all-powerful sky fairy that doesn't exist, it's no effort at all to disbelieve in physical men who do exist and even sign the books they write. (God wasn't intelligent enough to keep his authors documented. Believers had to make them up later.)

Additional publications on Jesus Mythicism (which must fall out of the sky since there aren't any scholarly Jesus Mythicists)
"Proving History" Bayes's Theorem and the Quest for the Historical Jesus" - Richard Carrier
"On the Historicity of Jesus Christ" - Richard Carrier
"Did Jesus Exist" - G A Wells (who has waffled to a degree since)
"Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All" - David Fitzgerald
"The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion" - David Fitzgerald
"Jesus: Mything in Action" - David Fitzgerald
"The Christ Conspiracy" - D. M. Murdock
"Suns of God" - D. M. Murdock
"Who Was Jesus?" - D. M. Murdock
"The Myth of Nazareth; The Invented Town of Jesus" - Rene Salm
"Deconstructing Jesus" - Robert M Price
"The Amazing Colossal Apostle" - Robert M Price
"The Jesus the Jews Never Knew" - Frank R Zindler
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 9:03:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So this is what we need - ANOTHER thread started by the Jesus Myth where the same characters rip stuff incited (plagiarism) of atheist web sites, pretending that the same authors whose works we have already visited - LOOK its WELLS yet again - There goes Price and Carrier - and we need to pretend that these extremists blindly pulling stuff of the internet have listened to anything anyone else has said ...

... as they continue to fail to reference the claims of a single NT Scholar whose support is unanimous. Those that disagree lose their credentials. And now we are supposed to pretend that the real problem is that Christians and ... everyone but these few conspiracy theorists ... is unaware that Carrier or Wells exists? THAT is the problem?

That is the Jesus Myth support now? We quoted the same people again, only now we are claiming you never acknowledged them!

While they continue to not site a SINGLE NTE scholar who supports the historicity of Christ - really - its us that is guilty of avoidance and cherry picking - really.

The entire argument is a cherry picks BS excuse for extremists to flame bait people. The same posters. You have heard nothing. And never will.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 9:39:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 9:03:39 AM, neutral wrote:
So this is what we need - ANOTHER thread started by the Jesus Myth where the same characters rip stuff incited (plagiarism) of atheist web sites, pretending that the same authors whose works we have already visited - LOOK its WELLS yet again - There goes Price and Carrier - and we need to pretend that these extremists blindly pulling stuff of the internet have listened to anything anyone else has said ...

... as they continue to fail to reference the claims of a single NT Scholar whose support is unanimous. Those that disagree lose their credentials. And now we are supposed to pretend that the real problem is that Christians and ... everyone but these few conspiracy theorists ... is unaware that Carrier or Wells exists? THAT is the problem?

That is the Jesus Myth support now? We quoted the same people again, only now we are claiming you never acknowledged them!

While they continue to not site a SINGLE NTE scholar who supports the historicity of Christ - really - its us that is guilty of avoidance and cherry picking - really.

The entire argument is a cherry picks BS excuse for extremists to flame bait people. The same posters. You have heard nothing. And never will.

This thread is all about the people who try desperately to deny any question of the historicity of the bible Jesus.

Of whom, on this forum you are the primary proponent. The fact that you have done and continue to do, given the evidence provided in this OP, proves conclusively that you either lie or are stupid.
Arasa
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 9:45:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

I am seeing very much ethos in this, but not a whole lot of substance. What is the point that you are trying to make here, exactly?

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 9:47:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 9:39:52 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/4/2014 9:03:39 AM, neutral wrote:
So this is what we need - ANOTHER thread started by the Jesus Myth where the same characters rip stuff incited (plagiarism) of atheist web sites, pretending that the same authors whose works we have already visited - LOOK its WELLS yet again - There goes Price and Carrier - and we need to pretend that these extremists blindly pulling stuff of the internet have listened to anything anyone else has said ...

... as they continue to fail to reference the claims of a single NT Scholar whose support is unanimous. Those that disagree lose their credentials. And now we are supposed to pretend that the real problem is that Christians and ... everyone but these few conspiracy theorists ... is unaware that Carrier or Wells exists? THAT is the problem?

That is the Jesus Myth support now? We quoted the same people again, only now we are claiming you never acknowledged them!

While they continue to not site a SINGLE NTE scholar who supports the historicity of Christ - really - its us that is guilty of avoidance and cherry picking - really.

The entire argument is a cherry picks BS excuse for extremists to flame bait people. The same posters. You have heard nothing. And never will.


This thread is all about the people who try desperately to deny any question of the historicity of the bible Jesus.

Of whom, on this forum you are the primary proponent. The fact that you have done and continue to do, given the evidence provided in this OP, proves conclusively that you either lie or are stupid.

If you acknowledge that the Christ myth exists and then spend months documenting the people and their arguments and debunking them ... what fantastically stupid process would drive someone to actually claim that people desperately deny that the Christ Myth exists?

We deny that there is anything valid, and indeed the ENTIRE COMMUNITY of NT scholars, with the possible exception of Price (who doesn't really disagree - its quite carefully crafted to make insinuations rather than statements), and the vast majority of the wider academic community supports us.

It has the same flavor as the 9-11 conspiracy.

http://911scholars.org...

They too have 'scholars' - but, being as I am clearly a member of the super secret military organization with no budget, equipment, or personnel, that murders its own citizens once every 200 years to start pointless wars that we subsequently have to deploy into ...

Yeah, the Christ Myth and the 9-11 Conspiracy are in the same intellectual category - bizarre.

So bizarre that the entire argument here is to list debunked scholars, and pretending that no one has acknowledged them or their claims ... ever though there are several rebuttals that have been published.

We have some cherry picked scholars and are not actually discussing what they said ... while refusing to acknowledge that there is a .... consensus on Christ.

Actually, I think this entire thing is about trolls trying to emotionalize the issue to get a rise out of people and pursue aggressive tactics to taunt religious people - nothing more.

And that will certainly play out. But that is the last post I will make in this rant of a thread.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 9:52:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 8:08:39 AM, bulproof wrote:


Though I agree with your point, it is up to the myth deniers to support their claim that no theologian or historian questions the historicity of a biblical Jesus.

Too bad no one ever claims that.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 10:04:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 9:47:24 AM, neutral wrote:
At 9/4/2014 9:39:52 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/4/2014 9:03:39 AM, neutral wrote:
So this is what we need - ANOTHER thread started by the Jesus Myth where the same characters rip stuff incited (plagiarism) of atheist web sites, pretending that the same authors whose works we have already visited - LOOK its WELLS yet again - There goes Price and Carrier - and we need to pretend that these extremists blindly pulling stuff of the internet have listened to anything anyone else has said ...

... as they continue to fail to reference the claims of a single NT Scholar whose support is unanimous. Those that disagree lose their credentials. And now we are supposed to pretend that the real problem is that Christians and ... everyone but these few conspiracy theorists ... is unaware that Carrier or Wells exists? THAT is the problem?

That is the Jesus Myth support now? We quoted the same people again, only now we are claiming you never acknowledged them!

While they continue to not site a SINGLE NTE scholar who supports the historicity of Christ - really - its us that is guilty of avoidance and cherry picking - really.

The entire argument is a cherry picks BS excuse for extremists to flame bait people. The same posters. You have heard nothing. And never will.


This thread is all about the people who try desperately to deny any question of the historicity of the bible Jesus.

Of whom, on this forum you are the primary proponent. The fact that you have done and continue to do, given the evidence provided in this OP, proves conclusively that you either lie or are stupid.

If you acknowledge that the Christ myth exists and then spend months documenting the people and their arguments and debunking them ... what fantastically stupid process would drive someone to actually claim that people desperately deny that the Christ Myth exists?
Nah newt, it's you who claims that no contemporary scholar question the historicity of the biblical Jesus and I have proven you wrong in this contention.
We deny that there is anything valid, and indeed the ENTIRE COMMUNITY of NT scholars, with the possible exception of Price (who doesn't really disagree - its quite carefully crafted to make insinuations rather than statements), and the vast majority of the wider academic community supports us.
Except for the eight SCHOLARS that I have quoted who do question the historicity of the biblical Jesus.
It has the same flavor as the 9-11 conspiracy.

http://911scholars.org...
Does this have any relevance?
They too have 'scholars' - but, being as I am clearly a member of the super secret military organization with no budget, equipment, or personnel, that murders its own citizens once every 200 years to start pointless wars that we subsequently have to deploy into ...
What the hell are you talking about? The rabbit hole you are chasing has no meaning to the discussion in hand.
Yeah, the Christ Myth and the 9-11 Conspiracy are in the same intellectual category - bizarre.
What are you talking about?
So bizarre that the entire argument here is to list debunked scholars, and pretending that no one has acknowledged them or their claims ... ever though there are several rebuttals that have been published.
I've provided more SCHOLARS questioning the historicity than you have supporting such.
We have some cherry picked scholars and are not actually discussing what they said ... while refusing to acknowledge that there is a .... consensus on Christ.
What we have are SCHOLARS who prove that your contention that NO scholars question the historicity of the bible Jesus. I only needed to supply ONE to prove your contention FALSE and a blatant lie.
Actually, I think this entire thing is about trolls trying to emotionalize the issue to get a rise out of people and pursue aggressive tactics to taunt religious people - nothing more.
What we do know from your history on here is that you accuse everybody who disagrees with you of being an abusive troll.
And that will certainly play out. But that is the last post I will make in this rant of a thread.
The response to this post will be interesting and fun to see the hatred and insults.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 10:13:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 10:04:36 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/4/2014 9:47:24 AM, neutral wrote:
At 9/4/2014 9:39:52 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/4/2014 9:03:39 AM, neutral wrote:
So this is what we need - ANOTHER thread started by the Jesus Myth where the same characters rip stuff incited (plagiarism) of atheist web sites, pretending that the same authors whose works we have already visited - LOOK its WELLS yet again - There goes Price and Carrier - and we need to pretend that these extremists blindly pulling stuff of the internet have listened to anything anyone else has said ...

... as they continue to fail to reference the claims of a single NT Scholar whose support is unanimous. Those that disagree lose their credentials. And now we are supposed to pretend that the real problem is that Christians and ... everyone but these few conspiracy theorists ... is unaware that Carrier or Wells exists? THAT is the problem?

That is the Jesus Myth support now? We quoted the same people again, only now we are claiming you never acknowledged them!

While they continue to not site a SINGLE NTE scholar who supports the historicity of Christ - really - its us that is guilty of avoidance and cherry picking - really.

The entire argument is a cherry picks BS excuse for extremists to flame bait people. The same posters. You have heard nothing. And never will.


This thread is all about the people who try desperately to deny any question of the historicity of the bible Jesus.

Of whom, on this forum you are the primary proponent. The fact that you have done and continue to do, given the evidence provided in this OP, proves conclusively that you either lie or are stupid.

If you acknowledge that the Christ myth exists and then spend months documenting the people and their arguments and debunking them ... what fantastically stupid process would drive someone to actually claim that people desperately deny that the Christ Myth exists?
Nah newt, it's you who claims that no contemporary scholar question the historicity of the biblical Jesus and I have proven you wrong in this contention.
We deny that there is anything valid, and indeed the ENTIRE COMMUNITY of NT scholars, with the possible exception of Price (who doesn't really disagree - its quite carefully crafted to make insinuations rather than statements), and the vast majority of the wider academic community supports us.
Except for the eight SCHOLARS that I have quoted who do question the historicity of the biblical Jesus.
It has the same flavor as the 9-11 conspiracy.

http://911scholars.org...
Does this have any relevance?
They too have 'scholars' - but, being as I am clearly a member of the super secret military organization with no budget, equipment, or personnel, that murders its own citizens once every 200 years to start pointless wars that we subsequently have to deploy into ...
What the hell are you talking about? The rabbit hole you are chasing has no meaning to the discussion in hand.
Yeah, the Christ Myth and the 9-11 Conspiracy are in the same intellectual category - bizarre.
What are you talking about?
So bizarre that the entire argument here is to list debunked scholars, and pretending that no one has acknowledged them or their claims ... ever though there are several rebuttals that have been published.
I've provided more SCHOLARS questioning the historicity than you have supporting such.
We have some cherry picked scholars and are not actually discussing what they said ... while refusing to acknowledge that there is a .... consensus on Christ.
What we have are SCHOLARS who prove that your contention that NO scholars question the historicity of the bible Jesus. I only needed to supply ONE to prove your contention FALSE and a blatant lie.
Actually, I think this entire thing is about trolls trying to emotionalize the issue to get a rise out of people and pursue aggressive tactics to taunt religious people - nothing more.
What we do know from your history on here is that you accuse everybody who disagrees with you of being an abusive troll.
And that will certainly play out. But that is the last post I will make in this rant of a thread.
The response to this post will be interesting and fun to see the hatred and insults.

Wait, are you serious?

If I said the scientific community rejects YEC I don't mean each and every member of the scientific community does. If one were charitable and being reasonable one would take to this mean that the broad consensus of the scientific community rejects YEC.

But that would require charity.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 10:43:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Here ya go little goo, provide the evidence that NO theologians nor historians contest the historicity of the biblical jesus.

It's a bit hard when I have supplied 7 theologians and or historians who dispute your ridiculous claim, but go ahead and prove your point.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:02:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:04:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello Mr. Bully boy you are a troll and you deserve to be locked up I dont care about your arguments because you ar eMISTER BULEY BOY!!!!!!!1
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:07:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 11:02:09 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.

Old earth "science" isn't based on science. Science doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports YEC.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:14:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 11:07:38 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/4/2014 11:02:09 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.

Old earth "science" isn't based on science. Science doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports YEC.

Multiple dating methods cross-confirm an old Earth. If you have more historical evidence for Jesus that the standard hearsay repeatedly discredited, then spit it up.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:27:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 9:52:57 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/4/2014 8:08:39 AM, bulproof wrote:


Though I agree with your point, it is up to the myth deniers to support their claim that no theologian or historian questions the historicity of a biblical Jesus.

Too bad no one ever claims that.
Have you not read many of the newt's posts?
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:29:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 11:04:28 AM, jh1234l wrote:
Hello Mr. Bully boy you are a troll and you deserve to be locked up I dont care about your arguments because you ar eMISTER BULEY BOY!!!!!!!1

Thank you. I don't care what you think. It's the thoughts of you, bye bye.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:38:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Isn't it amazing that not one of the newt supporters can bring an actual argument that NO theologians NOR historians actually question the historicity of the biblical jesus.

That's because there are such scholars who do question that historicity.
Anybody who claims differently is either lying are a fool.

Ya see if you want to make unfounded claims that are proven WRONG by actual evidence (something beyond religious beliefs), then you just continue to lie as the greatest warrior for god does or you tell the truth.
The_Immortal_Emris
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:52:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 9:03:39 AM, neutral wrote:
So this is what we need - ANOTHER thread started by the Jesus Myth where the same characters rip stuff incited (plagiarism) of atheist web sites, pretending that the same authors whose works we have already visited - LOOK its WELLS yet again - There goes Price and Carrier - and we need to pretend that these extremists blindly pulling stuff of the internet have listened to anything anyone else has said ...

... as they continue to fail to reference the claims of a single NT Scholar whose support is unanimous. Those that disagree lose their credentials. And now we are supposed to pretend that the real problem is that Christians and ... everyone but these few conspiracy theorists ... is unaware that Carrier or Wells exists? THAT is the problem?

That is the Jesus Myth support now? We quoted the same people again, only now we are claiming you never acknowledged them!

While they continue to not site a SINGLE NTE scholar who supports the historicity of Christ - really - its us that is guilty of avoidance and cherry picking - really.

The entire argument is a cherry picks BS excuse for extremists to flame bait people. The same posters. You have heard nothing. And never will.

So, once again, we can see you were lying about being an atheist in the South.

No one can trust anything you say.
The_Immortal_Emris
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 11:53:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 11:07:38 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/4/2014 11:02:09 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.

Old earth "science" isn't based on science. Science doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports YEC.

Nope. This is completely false. There is no science that supports the YEC Hypothesis. It's not a theory, because it is a fantasy.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 12:32:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 11:53:47 AM, The_Immortal_Emris wrote:
At 9/4/2014 11:07:38 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/4/2014 11:02:09 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.

Old earth "science" isn't based on science. Science doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports YEC.

Nope. This is completely false. There is no science that supports the YEC Hypothesis. It's not a theory, because it is a fantasy.

Exactly. Which is the same as Jesus mythicism.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 12:33:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 11:14:37 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/4/2014 11:07:38 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/4/2014 11:02:09 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.

Old earth "science" isn't based on science. Science doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports YEC.

Multiple dating methods cross-confirm an old Earth. If you have more historical evidence for Jesus that the standard hearsay repeatedly discredited, then spit it up.

"repeatedly discredited"? lol, by whom?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 12:42:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So because some historians believe something it must be true and totally isn't a fringe idea? Fascinating! Would you be convinced if I showed you some biologists who don't believe in evolution?
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 1:04:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 12:33:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/4/2014 11:14:37 AM, Beastt wrote:

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.

Old earth "science" isn't based on science. Science doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports YEC.

Multiple dating methods cross-confirm an old Earth. If you have more historical evidence for Jesus that the standard hearsay repeatedly discredited, then spit it up.

"repeatedly discredited"? lol, by whom?

By myself for one. If you want to dangle that hook in the water, prepare for a swim.

All five historical references are mere hearsay. No historian even pretends to have any first-hand or credible knowledge of Jesus. The greatest hope for Christians is in "Annals" from Tacitus but textual criticism reveals his source as simply hearsay from Christians of the day. Big whoop! We already know that Christians believed Jesus existed.

But had Tacitus utilized any form of credible record, he would likely have used the title for Pilate which provided Pilate with the power, under Roman government, to act in a judiciary fashion which was "Prefect". Instead, he calls him a "Procurator" which he was - he was both. But a Procurator did not have the authority to put anyone to death, and Tacitus - himself having the authority to endow senatorial powers - would certainly have been aware of this. It is common among Christians references to see Pilate called a "procurator", rather than a "prefect" despite holding both titles. But this tags the source of the hearsay in Annals as having come from Christian tradition, rather than confirmed documentation. And even that might be argued. However, he gives us another unmistakable clue regarding the source of his statement. He uses the name "Christus", and never refers to him by any other name. Had he obtained confirmation from some kind of official record, he would have used the name "Jesus" (or Yeshua), or the same followed by "Son of Joseph". In using "Christus" he shows us that his source is Christian tradition. The Romans would not have recorded that they executed "Christ".

The hearsay in the writings of Josephus are an obvious forgery; suggesting a life-long devout Jew proclaiming Jesus to have been the Messiah. Many Christians have switched to calling it an "interpolation" which simply means phrases and sentences in the paragraph were forged, rather than the entire paragraph. Either way, it's simply hearsay, and shows obvious tampering.

It's questionable as to whether or not Suetonius is even talking about Jesus, and the bottom line when all of the dust has settled, is that it's ALL just hearsay. There were more than 2-dozen known historians living in that region when Jesus is claimed to have been alive. Not a single one ever mentions him. In fact, one of those historians - Philo of Alexandria - was the uncle to Marcus who served as the true "King of the Jews" after the exile of Herod. And Philo had a second nephew who served as the Prefect of Egypt, and the Procurator of Judea. Philo wrote prolifically, and focused only upon the politics and religion of his day. And Philo was a highly devout believer in the Old Testament - writing commentaries on essentially every major character of the Pentateuch. He even wrote about the growing friction between Pilate and the Jews.

But nowhere in Philo's more than 850,000 extant words, do we find any mention of Jesus, or of any major event of the New Testament. It would be hard to imagine anyone in a better position to provide historical documentation were the New Testament true. And, of course, had Philo made even a passing reference to anyone who might possibly have been Jesus, Christians would pounce all over it declaring it as the one confirmed and verified historical record of Jesus. But he didn't, so instead they claim that the exclusion of mention is irrelevant. In actuality, it is arguably more relevant than every mention of Jesus, extra-biblical or not.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 1:08:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 11:02:09 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/4/2014 10:38:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Congratulations Bulshit, you found a few fringe people who disagree with the consensus built up from studying history! Give your retard helmet a big pat and tell your carer not to let you out in the road to celebrate!

Jesus historicity isn't based on history. History doesn't support it. The actual evidence (and lack of evidence) supports mythicism.

Shame virtually all biblical scholars and classicists disagree. "Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[4][6][7][18][51]."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org...
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 1:29:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2014 6:41:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
These are just some of the theologians and historians that myth deniers claim don't exist.

There exists in the world of historians and even theologians an argument that the Jesus of the bible is a myth.

These theologians and historians provide a mountain of evidence in support of their contentions, unfortunately the deniers continue to claim that these people simply don't exist.


The Reverend Thomas William "Tom" Harpur (born 1929) is a Canadian author, broadcaster, columnist and theologian. An ordained priest, he is a proponent of the Christ myth theory, the idea that Jesus did not exist but is a fictional or mythological figure.

Richard Cevantis Carrier (born December 1, 1969) is an atheist activist, author, frequent public speaker, and blogger. He is a trained historian and one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory.

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary,

Irish Dominican priest and theologian Thomas L. Brodie (born 1943) earned his PhD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988. He taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in the United States

Canadian writer Earl Doherty (B.A. in Ancient History and Classical Languages) argues in The Jesus Puzzle (2005) and Jesus: Neither God nor Man"The Case for a Mythical Jesus (2009)

Born in India, Alexander Jacob is an academic, author and translator who received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in History of Ideas, and later worked at York University and conducted research at the University of Toronto. Among other themes, he has written on Cambridge Platonism in works such as Henry More's Refutation of Spinoza (1991), Ātman: A Reconstruction of the Solar Cosmology of the Indo-Europeans (2005), and Nobilitas: A Study of European Aristocratic Philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Early Twentieth Century (2001). Today he is a leading scholar in the study of the ancient Indo-European religions and has found major similarities among them. He has documented many themes, especially in ancient Egyptian religion which appear later in Judaism and Christianity.

American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.American-born biblical scholar and theologian Thomas L. Thompson (born 1939) is Professor emeritus at the University of Copenhagen since 2009. He is now a Danish citizen associated with The Copenhagen School movement of biblical minimalism and the author of a number of books critical of the historicity of the Old Testament. While a student at University of T"bingen in the 1970s, his PhD dissertation on the quest for the historical Abraham was rejected by his examiner Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) since it went against Catholic theology.[191] He was invited to finish his degree at Temple University in Philadelphia where he received his PhD summa cum laude.

Some myth deniers claim no historians/theologians support the idea of Jesus being a myth. I accept the plausibility of an historical Jesus, yet I agree with you 100%. Only the ignorant or blatantly dishonest would implicitly state the Jesus mythers have no support.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten