Total Posts:157|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

We Can't Take The Bible Literally

ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.
Arasa
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:04:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing every time I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

If the bible is to be taken literally at every single aspect, every single word, then it is as many atheists describe, "A fairy tale".

There are too many instances where one must interpret the author's intent in a sentence or paragraph. Many of the minor prophets, as well as two of the major prophets, would be placed into categories of ludicrousness beyond any understanding.

"The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness."

Infer from that what you will. I see it as the creation of time, as darkness is the absence of light, and so would need no division if both existed already. Rather, it would be that God created morning and evening. Separating them by... time...

But that's just me,
August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 1:07:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

It is disturbing given our present knowledge to take the Bible literally. However, in the creation story, it seems clear to me the original author intended a literal creation week.

Genesis 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, etc. clearly states an evening and a morning for each "day".
Exodus 20:8-11 States the "day" of sabbath should be holy (because god rested on the 7th day)

Basically, I have never heard an explanation of how the creation week should not be literal and the sabbath should be when the same word for day is used for both passages in Exodus and Genesis. Also, the verse referring to the sabbath clearly alludes to a literal creation week. So what gives?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:17:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

In other words, you don't think the Bible means what it says, but was intended to be interpreted which has lead to more than 38,000 diverse Christian denominations, persecution of Christians by Christians, and - according to some interpretations of the doctrine - the eternal condemnation of some people who consider themselves Christians.

So when the Bible says that every prayer will be answered, it doesn't mean "every" prayer. In fact, based on dozens of objective studies on prayer, it means that no prayers will ever be answered. When Genesis talks of "days" it doesn't mean a literal "day", despite the fact that it defines a "day" as the period between evening and morning SIX TIMES (Gen 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, 1:19, 1:23 and 1:31).

But, when the Bible talks about "Satan" it means a literal demon. When it talks about Jesus being on Earth, it means that God gave himself a human body, and actually walked around on Earth, despite the fact that no authoritative documentation of the time ever mentions him. When it talks about being "saved" by the sacrifice of Jesus, it literally means being saved from Hell, to which Jesus would otherwise have sentenced you. So you're saved by Jesus, from Jesus... which literally amounts to extortion.

And it doesn't matter if you disagree with what I've written. It just means you're reading what I wrote literally. And no self-respecting "Biblist" would ever allow himself to understand the text in a book, rather than re-writing it as he lets his eyes drift across the words.

Only those who literally recognize the literal ignorance, idiocy and fallacies of the Bible are so afraid of the ridiculous beliefs it exposes that they become angry with other professed believers for reading what it actually says.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:30:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 2:17:17 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

In other words, you don't think the Bible means what it says, but was intended to be interpreted which has lead to more than 38,000 diverse Christian denominations, persecution of Christians by Christians, and - according to some interpretations of the doctrine - the eternal condemnation of some people who consider themselves Christians.

So when the Bible says that every prayer will be answered, it doesn't mean "every" prayer. In fact, based on dozens of objective studies on prayer, it means that no prayers will ever be answered. When Genesis talks of "days" it doesn't mean a literal "day", despite the fact that it defines a "day" as the period between evening and morning SIX TIMES (Gen 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, 1:19, 1:23 and 1:31).

But, when the Bible talks about "Satan" it means a literal demon. When it talks about Jesus being on Earth, it means that God gave himself a human body, and actually walked around on Earth, despite the fact that no authoritative documentation of the time ever mentions him. When it talks about being "saved" by the sacrifice of Jesus, it literally means being saved from Hell, to which Jesus would otherwise have sentenced you. So you're saved by Jesus, from Jesus... which literally amounts to extortion.

Beastt, ....extortion? You're just not right man. lol

And it doesn't matter if you disagree with what I've written. It just means you're reading what I wrote literally. And no self-respecting "Biblist" would ever allow himself to understand the text in a book, rather than re-writing it as he lets his eyes drift across the words.

Only those who literally recognize the literal ignorance, idiocy and fallacies of the Bible are so afraid of the ridiculous beliefs it exposes that they become angry with other professed believers for reading what it actually says.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 8:25:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
People who hate God deny that He is God. They deserve to burn in Hell the same as me. We have all acted or spoke against God and we all deserve to be cast away from God forever in the burning garbage pile of Hell.
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:36:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 8:25:03 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
People who hate God deny that He is God. They deserve to burn in Hell the same as me. We have all acted or spoke against God and we all deserve to be cast away from God forever in the burning garbage pile of Hell.

People who reject your claim of a god cannot possibly hate your imaginary god.

Why, oh why, do believers continue to make this ridiculous claim?

You don't believe in santa.

Do you hate him?
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:43:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 1:07:59 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

It is disturbing given our present knowledge to take the Bible literally. However, in the creation story, it seems clear to me the original author intended a literal creation week.

Genesis 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, etc. clearly states an evening and a morning for each "day".
Exodus 20:8-11 States the "day" of sabbath should be holy (because god rested on the 7th day)

Basically, I have never heard an explanation of how the creation week should not be literal and the sabbath should be when the same word for day is used for both passages in Exodus and Genesis. Also, the verse referring to the sabbath clearly alludes to a literal creation week. So what gives?

Well the Hebrew word for day has at least 4 different meanings. So we can't be clear in the context or if Day and Evening are used as metaphors.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:48:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 9:36:15 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:25:03 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
People who hate God deny that He is God. They deserve to burn in Hell the same as me. We have all acted or spoke against God and we all deserve to be cast away from God forever in the burning garbage pile of Hell.

People who reject your claim of a god cannot possibly hate your imaginary god.

Why, oh why, do believers continue to make this ridiculous claim?

You don't believe in santa.

Do you hate him?

You hate God, that is why you continually insult His children. You ahow your hatred against God by the way you treat His children and by the way you insult Him. Yes I hate Santa. Santa is a lie from the devil. I hate lies. I love God. You are a liar when you say you do not hate God. I can prove there is no Santa Clause. You cannot prove there is no God. The best you can do is pat yourself on your back and tell yourself how wise, brave, and proud of yourself you are and then finalize your death and then you will have your proof. Untill then, you can believe whatever you want to. Your bare assertion that God is not there is nothing more than your hope of avoiding His judgement agaisnt you. Thus saith the LORD: The soul that sins shall surely die, be sure your sins will find you out. You can deny that God is trying to reach you. You can't prove He is not there. The fact that you will not believe He is there proves nothing except that you don't believe He is there. Go give yourself a pat on the back for being so brave that you are ready to try to prove Hell is not your home.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:48:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 2:17:17 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

In other words, you don't think the Bible means what it says, but was intended to be interpreted which has lead to more than 38,000 diverse Christian denominations, persecution of Christians by Christians, and - according to some interpretations of the doctrine - the eternal condemnation of some people who consider themselves Christians.

So when the Bible says that every prayer will be answered, it doesn't mean "every" prayer. In fact, based on dozens of objective studies on prayer, it means that no prayers will ever be answered. When Genesis talks of "days" it doesn't mean a literal "day", despite the fact that it defines a "day" as the period between evening and morning SIX TIMES (Gen 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, 1:19, 1:23 and 1:31).

But, when the Bible talks about "Satan" it means a literal demon. When it talks about Jesus being on Earth, it means that God gave himself a human body, and actually walked around on Earth, despite the fact that no authoritative documentation of the time ever mentions him. When it talks about being "saved" by the sacrifice of Jesus, it literally means being saved from Hell, to which Jesus would otherwise have sentenced you. So you're saved by Jesus, from Jesus... which literally amounts to extortion.

And it doesn't matter if you disagree with what I've written. It just means you're reading what I wrote literally. And no self-respecting "Biblist" would ever allow himself to understand the text in a book, rather than re-writing it as he lets his eyes drift across the words.

Only those who literally recognize the literal ignorance, idiocy and fallacies of the Bible are so afraid of the ridiculous beliefs it exposes that they become angry with other professed believers for reading what it actually says.

When Jesus said he came not to bring peace but a sword, did jesus come to bring a literal sword? When Jesus said If you do not hate hate your family and friends, then you can not be my disciple, was Jesus being literal about hate here? Were all of the parables of Jesus literal events?
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:01:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 10:48:34 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 9:36:15 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:25:03 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
People who hate God deny that He is God. They deserve to burn in Hell the same as me. We have all acted or spoke against God and we all deserve to be cast away from God forever in the burning garbage pile of Hell.

People who reject your claim of a god cannot possibly hate your imaginary god.

Why, oh why, do believers continue to make this ridiculous claim?

You don't believe in santa.

Do you hate him?

You hate God, that is why you continually insult His children. You ahow your hatred against God by the way you treat His children and by the way you insult Him. Yes I hate Santa. Santa is a lie from the devil. I hate lies. I love God. You are a liar when you say you do not hate God. I can prove there is no Santa Clause. You cannot prove there is no God. The best you can do is pat yourself on your back and tell yourself how wise, brave, and proud of yourself you are and then finalize your death and then you will have your proof. Untill then, you can believe whatever you want to. Your bare assertion that God is not there is nothing more than your hope of avoiding His judgement agaisnt you. Thus saith the LORD: The soul that sins shall surely die, be sure your sins will find you out. You can deny that God is trying to reach you. You can't prove He is not there. The fact that you will not believe He is there proves nothing except that you don't believe He is there. Go give yourself a pat on the back for being so brave that you are ready to try to prove Hell is not your home.

Just because you can't prove God's nonexistence, doesn't mean it's proof for existence. It's like Santa or the Easter Bunny. We can't prove they exist nor prove they don't. We can't prove the same results when it comes to the unicorns, dragons etc.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:08:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 10:48:50 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 2:17:17 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

In other words, you don't think the Bible means what it says, but was intended to be interpreted which has lead to more than 38,000 diverse Christian denominations, persecution of Christians by Christians, and - according to some interpretations of the doctrine - the eternal condemnation of some people who consider themselves Christians.

So when the Bible says that every prayer will be answered, it doesn't mean "every" prayer. In fact, based on dozens of objective studies on prayer, it means that no prayers will ever be answered. When Genesis talks of "days" it doesn't mean a literal "day", despite the fact that it defines a "day" as the period between evening and morning SIX TIMES (Gen 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, 1:19, 1:23 and 1:31).

But, when the Bible talks about "Satan" it means a literal demon. When it talks about Jesus being on Earth, it means that God gave himself a human body, and actually walked around on Earth, despite the fact that no authoritative documentation of the time ever mentions him. When it talks about being "saved" by the sacrifice of Jesus, it literally means being saved from Hell, to which Jesus would otherwise have sentenced you. So you're saved by Jesus, from Jesus... which literally amounts to extortion.

And it doesn't matter if you disagree with what I've written. It just means you're reading what I wrote literally. And no self-respecting "Biblist" would ever allow himself to understand the text in a book, rather than re-writing it as he lets his eyes drift across the words.

Only those who literally recognize the literal ignorance, idiocy and fallacies of the Bible are so afraid of the ridiculous beliefs it exposes that they become angry with other professed believers for reading what it actually says.

When Jesus said he came not to bring peace but a sword, did jesus come to bring a literal sword? When Jesus said If you do not hate hate your family and friends, then you can not be my disciple, was Jesus being literal about hate here? Were all of the parables of Jesus literal events?

It requires contextual understanding. If your Father attempts to beat you senseless because you adopt a new faith, are you supposed to reject said father in a literal sense? Yep.

Will the new faith cause rifts in families, particularly in Roman times? Where families rise and fall based on their political affiliations? And suddenly you have a Christian in the mix? Might that cause issues? Yep. Literal ones.

There are also parts of the Bible that are clearly symbolic, or make little sense without understanding the context. Its difficult, especially for Westerner educated people, because the issues of the Old Testament were written for the Jewish community that was relatively tight knit and reasonably coherent - things like Yeshiva also ensured that there was a steady stream of clerics out there ensuring that the lessons were properly understood.

As anyone who has studied history knows, piecing together the correct chain of reasoning is no easy task. And the further removed from the events the harder it can be.

It should come as no shock that largely uneducated people ice up a book with obscure references to ancient Jewish history, not taught inout schools, and are befuddled by it. It would be no different than picking up a manuscript on ancient Chinese history and being confused by the intricate references to places and people that were unfamiliar. Is the Chinese Dragon literal? If not, what does it mean?

To some extent, we have countered this issue with our own Yeshiva - Seminaries, and there is a concerted effort by religious people to learn from the theological institutions and discern the 'correct' message. To do so takes a great deal of effort, and one is left, to the uninitiated, trying to explain the 'literalism' of a symbol - for example.

Are there some people who excuse that by just adopting a plain English literal translation? Yep. And they have congregations that follow this flawed interpretation.

There is also the opposite, the, "lets call the whole thing off!," and they to form their groups and are often equally verbose in their misinterpretation.

Real wisdom takes effort.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:09:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 10:43:26 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 1:07:59 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

It is disturbing given our present knowledge to take the Bible literally. However, in the creation story, it seems clear to me the original author intended a literal creation week.

Genesis 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, etc. clearly states an evening and a morning for each "day".
Exodus 20:8-11 States the "day" of sabbath should be holy (because god rested on the 7th day)

Basically, I have never heard an explanation of how the creation week should not be literal and the sabbath should be when the same word for day is used for both passages in Exodus and Genesis. Also, the verse referring to the sabbath clearly alludes to a literal creation week. So what gives?

Well the Hebrew word for day has at least 4 different meanings. So we can't be clear in the context or if Day and Evening are used as metaphors.

Yes, I am aware of the different meanings possible, but you are overlooking the fact that the author of Exodus interprets a literal creation week in his reason for keeping the sabbath holy.

"therefore the lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy"

Unless you are suggesting the sabbath should not actually be a day, I really don't follow your argument.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:25:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:09:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:43:26 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 1:07:59 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

It is disturbing given our present knowledge to take the Bible literally. However, in the creation story, it seems clear to me the original author intended a literal creation week.

Genesis 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, etc. clearly states an evening and a morning for each "day".
Exodus 20:8-11 States the "day" of sabbath should be holy (because god rested on the 7th day)

Basically, I have never heard an explanation of how the creation week should not be literal and the sabbath should be when the same word for day is used for both passages in Exodus and Genesis. Also, the verse referring to the sabbath clearly alludes to a literal creation week. So what gives?

Well the Hebrew word for day has at least 4 different meanings. So we can't be clear in the context or if Day and Evening are used as metaphors.

Yes, I am aware of the different meanings possible, but you are overlooking the fact that the author of Exodus interprets a literal creation week in his reason for keeping the sabbath holy.

"therefore the lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy"

Unless you are suggesting the sabbath should not actually be a day, I really don't follow your argument.
Then you'll notice if we are to take it literal, then we are still living the 7th day. Cuz the bible never said the 7th day had an evening.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:26:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.

So your implying Jesus can't save people from Hell? Your implying he died for our sins, but most of us will burn in hell. So in other words, your saying Jesus died for nothing.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:27:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:01:11 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:48:34 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 9:36:15 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:25:03 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
People who hate God deny that He is God. They deserve to burn in Hell the same as me. We have all acted or spoke against God and we all deserve to be cast away from God forever in the burning garbage pile of Hell.

People who reject your claim of a god cannot possibly hate your imaginary god.

Why, oh why, do believers continue to make this ridiculous claim?

You don't believe in santa.

Do you hate him?

You hate God, that is why you continually insult His children. You ahow your hatred against God by the way you treat His children and by the way you insult Him. Yes I hate Santa. Santa is a lie from the devil. I hate lies. I love God. You are a liar when you say you do not hate God. I can prove there is no Santa Clause. You cannot prove there is no God. The best you can do is pat yourself on your back and tell yourself how wise, brave, and proud of yourself you are and then finalize your death and then you will have your proof. Untill then, you can believe whatever you want to. Your bare assertion that God is not there is nothing more than your hope of avoiding His judgement agaisnt you. Thus saith the LORD: The soul that sins shall surely die, be sure your sins will find you out. You can deny that God is trying to reach you. You can't prove He is not there. The fact that you will not believe He is there proves nothing except that you don't believe He is there. Go give yourself a pat on the back for being so brave that you are ready to try to prove Hell is not your home.

Just because you can't prove God's nonexistence, doesn't mean it's proof for existence. It's like Santa or the Easter Bunny. We can't prove they exist nor prove they don't. We can't prove the same results when it comes to the unicorns, dragons etc.

I did not say that your inabilty to prove God is not there proves that He is there. You believe He is not there. You can believe that if you want to. You cannot prove it. That's all I said. If you think Santa and the Easter Bunny cannot be proven to be lies, I think your parents forgot to set you straight after they lied to you about where the presents under the Christmas tree came from and who put the stuff in your Easter Basket. I hate to tell you that your mommy and daddy lied to you repeatedly, but they did. I'm sorry. I'm sure they meant well and they had fun, but they lied. I don't know about unicorns. There may have been a one horned horselike creature that became extinct. There may have been fire breathing dragons, actual animals that breathed fire. Science has shown this is possible from the way air would move through the massive animals, and I dont think even you would say Pterodactyls did not fly. But Santa and the Easter Bunny? I'm really sorry that your parents did not admit they lied to you.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:35:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:26:58 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.

So your implying Jesus can't save people from Hell? Your implying he died for our sins, but most of us will burn in hell. So in other words, your saying Jesus died for nothing.

People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

I don't know about you. It sounds to me like you are not saved. It sounds like you think you will go to Hell and then get saved out of it. If you are not saved from it before you go there, you will never get out of it. Where are you getting your doctrine? Are you a seventh day adventist? mormon? what is it?
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:40:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:35:36 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:26:58 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.

So your implying Jesus can't save people from Hell? Your implying he died for our sins, but most of us will burn in hell. So in other words, your saying Jesus died for nothing.

People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

I don't know about you. It sounds to me like you are not saved. It sounds like you think you will go to Hell and then get saved out of it. If you are not saved from it before you go there, you will never get out of it. Where are you getting your doctrine? Are you a seventh day adventist? mormon? what is it?

I am a Christian. I believe that when Christ's last words were "It is finished." I believe he meant it. He died for our sins. It's what the apostles preached. I'm not saying i'll go to hell. I'm going to heaven because two years ago is when I was saved. I read the bible. I believe in God and that Jesus is my savior. Your claiming i'm ridiculous, yet your saying your bound to heaven, which means not going to hell. So your so perfect. When we sin every day.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:45:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:40:49 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:35:36 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:26:58 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.

So your implying Jesus can't save people from Hell? Your implying he died for our sins, but most of us will burn in hell. So in other words, your saying Jesus died for nothing.

People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

I don't know about you. It sounds to me like you are not saved. It sounds like you think you will go to Hell and then get saved out of it. If you are not saved from it before you go there, you will never get out of it. Where are you getting your doctrine? Are you a seventh day adventist? mormon? what is it?

I am a Christian. I believe that when Christ's last words were "It is finished." I believe he meant it. He died for our sins. It's what the apostles preached. I'm not saying i'll go to hell. I'm going to heaven because two years ago is when I was saved. I read the bible. I believe in God and that Jesus is my savior. Your claiming i'm ridiculous, yet your saying your bound to heaven, which means not going to hell. So your so perfect. When we sin every day.

I don't know what you are saying. You say some things that don't make sense. Yes we sin every day because we are sinners. If you are saved, you are saved from Hell and you are not going to ever be there even for a moment.
People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

Christians are not punks. They are saints. What are you? Where are you getting your doctrine? Who taught you stufll like you are talking? Catholic? mormon? Seventh day adventist? You can tell me, comeon.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:51:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
We can't take Spiderman comic books literally either... and for the same reason.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:53:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:35:36 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

You may need to convince the "christians" that don't believe that hell is an eternal torture.
Now they believe that because their all loving god couldn't be all loving and sentence the vast majority of his most loved creations to such a fate and still be ALL loving.

It's the "that's not what the words mean defense". You'll find it in almost every defense of the god you love. You know.................apologetics.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:54:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 2:30:09 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Beastt, ....extortion? You're just not right man. lol

If someone creates a peril and threatens to subject you to that peril unless you provide them with something they want, that's extortion.

It doesn't matter whether it's a mugger...
... threatening you with a gun
... unless you give him your wallet.

Or whether it's God...
... threatening you with Hell
... unless you give him your belief.

Either way, it's still extortion. Salvation is when you remove someone from a peril you didn't intentionally subject them to.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:59:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:45:42 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:40:49 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:35:36 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:26:58 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.

So your implying Jesus can't save people from Hell? Your implying he died for our sins, but most of us will burn in hell. So in other words, your saying Jesus died for nothing.

People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

I don't know about you. It sounds to me like you are not saved. It sounds like you think you will go to Hell and then get saved out of it. If you are not saved from it before you go there, you will never get out of it. Where are you getting your doctrine? Are you a seventh day adventist? mormon? what is it?

I am a Christian. I believe that when Christ's last words were "It is finished." I believe he meant it. He died for our sins. It's what the apostles preached. I'm not saying i'll go to hell. I'm going to heaven because two years ago is when I was saved. I read the bible. I believe in God and that Jesus is my savior. Your claiming i'm ridiculous, yet your saying your bound to heaven, which means not going to hell. So your so perfect. When we sin every day.

I don't know what you are saying. You say some things that don't make sense. Yes we sin every day because we are sinners. If you are saved, you are saved from Hell and you are not going to ever be there even for a moment.
People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

Christians are not punks. They are saints. What are you? Where are you getting your doctrine? Who taught you stufll like you are talking? Catholic? mormon? Seventh day adventist? You can tell me, comeon.

God told me. The bible did anyways. I dislike churches since they are instruments of corrupt power and greed. They don't make it about God, but about themselves. Churches didn't exist with the apostles. We are the church and God is our pastor.

Christians, if they follow Romans, are punks. Paul said do not conform to the ways of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your OWN mind. He is saying if your going to accept God, do it of your own will, not to fit in with Christian America, not because mom and dad said it, and not because your pastor demands it. It's about coming to terms and being honest with God. Jesus was a non conformist. The Pharisees were conforming.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:00:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:45:42 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:40:49 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:35:36 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:26:58 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.

So your implying Jesus can't save people from Hell? Your implying he died for our sins, but most of us will burn in hell. So in other words, your saying Jesus died for nothing.

People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

I don't know about you. It sounds to me like you are not saved. It sounds like you think you will go to Hell and then get saved out of it. If you are not saved from it before you go there, you will never get out of it. Where are you getting your doctrine? Are you a seventh day adventist? mormon? what is it?

I am a Christian. I believe that when Christ's last words were "It is finished." I believe he meant it. He died for our sins. It's what the apostles preached. I'm not saying i'll go to hell. I'm going to heaven because two years ago is when I was saved. I read the bible. I believe in God and that Jesus is my savior. Your claiming i'm ridiculous, yet your saying your bound to heaven, which means not going to hell. So your so perfect. When we sin every day.

I don't know what you are saying. You say some things that don't make sense. Yes we sin every day because we are sinners. If you are saved, you are saved from Hell and you are not going to ever be there even for a moment.
People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

Christians are not punks. They are saints. What are you? Where are you getting your doctrine? Who taught you stufll like you are talking? Catholic? mormon? Seventh day adventist? You can tell me, comeon.

Yeah. And we are all saved. So why the debate? Jesus died for us all didn't he?
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:02:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 12:00:03 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:45:42 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:40:49 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:35:36 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:26:58 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:17:38 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:58:02 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 9/7/2014 8:20:53 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 9/6/2014 11:54:00 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thoughts or comments on this subject? Because I find it disturbing everytime I find a biblical literalist who takes the bible literally.

So I assume that you find the idea of a literal Hell as described by Jesus very disturbing. That's good. If you get disturbed by it enough, maybe you will see your need to be saved from it and maybe you will believe God gave Himself in the form of the Son of God to pay for your sin so you can be forgiven . Maybe you will receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour and not have to burn in Hell. I hope literal interpretations of the Bible continue to disturb you untill you call on God in the name of Jesus Christ to save you from the death in Hell which you deserve and are sold into by your sin.

I do believe in the literal Hell. I believe that when Jesus died for all our sins, he rested in Hell for 3 days until he rose on the third. He then locked the gates of Hell so Satan would no longer steal children of God. We were dead already because of Sin. Even the child who was born was dead. But because of the Grace of Christ, we have been saved and given a new life. We will be washed repeatedly whenever we fail and ask for forgiveness. God will not turn his back anymore. He will want anybody as described in Psalms 139. Don't believe me, listen to 1 Peter 3:18-20 where Jesus preached unto the "spirits in prison" in Hell. Why is he preaching to them? As he once said, one day he will drag people to the kingdom with him. Which means he's going to be rescuing them so the devil will be lonely and defeated. This shows how powerful Jesus is.

Most people in the world will be lost to the fire of Hell. I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you are saying that people in Hell get rescued from it, you are nuts. If you are not saying that, you need to clarify what you are saying.

So your implying Jesus can't save people from Hell? Your implying he died for our sins, but most of us will burn in hell. So in other words, your saying Jesus died for nothing.

People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

I don't know about you. It sounds to me like you are not saved. It sounds like you think you will go to Hell and then get saved out of it. If you are not saved from it before you go there, you will never get out of it. Where are you getting your doctrine? Are you a seventh day adventist? mormon? what is it?

I am a Christian. I believe that when Christ's last words were "It is finished." I believe he meant it. He died for our sins. It's what the apostles preached. I'm not saying i'll go to hell. I'm going to heaven because two years ago is when I was saved. I read the bible. I believe in God and that Jesus is my savior. Your claiming i'm ridiculous, yet your saying your bound to heaven, which means not going to hell. So your so perfect. When we sin every day.

I don't know what you are saying. You say some things that don't make sense. Yes we sin every day because we are sinners. If you are saved, you are saved from Hell and you are not going to ever be there even for a moment.
People who are in Hell are condemned to the Lake of Fire forever from wihich the smoke of their torments will rise forever. People who are lost but not in Hell yet are condemned to Hell and the Lake of Fire if they don't get saved from it. People like me who are saved are saved from Hell and forgiven of their sins and bound for heaven.

Christians are not punks. They are saints. What are you? Where are you getting your doctrine? Who taught you stufll like you are talking? Catholic? mormon? Seventh day adventist? You can tell me, comeon.

Yeah. And we are all saved. So why the debate? Jesus died for us all didn't he?

Of course not. Not only is the very concept of "dying for someone" utterly bankrupt and meaningless, but historians, scholars and theists have yet to show that Jesus was even an historical likelihood.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:08:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 11:59:13 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:


God told me. The bible did anyways.
Where, and how, do you make a connection between a collection of ancient writings, selected by a council of men in the 4th century, who couldn't even agree on the books they chose... and God?

I dislike churches since they are instruments of corrupt power and greed. They don't make it about God, but about themselves. Churches didn't exist with the apostles. We are the church and God is our pastor.
You are the church and God is a superstition. There is no evidence that God exists, and mountains of evidence that the Bible is just a biased collection of imaginative stories and fiction.

Christians, if they follow Romans, are punks.
Because... YOU have spoken?

Paul said do not conform to the ways of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your OWN mind.
And even if Paul said that, what makes him an authority?

He is saying if your going to accept God, do it of your own will, not to fit in with Christian America, not because mom and dad said it, and not because your pastor demands it. It's about coming to terms and being honest with God.
Before you can be honest with God, you have to be honest with yourself. And being honest with yourself, means recognizing that there is no reason to believe in God.

Jesus was a non conformist. The Pharisees were conforming.
And I certainly agree that the character of Jesus in the Bible was a conformist, who insisted that everyone must conform with him.
The word to describe that is, "hypocrite".
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 12:12:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 12:08:20 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:59:13 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:


God told me. The bible did anyways.
Where, and how, do you make a connection between a collection of ancient writings, selected by a council of men in the 4th century, who couldn't even agree on the books they chose... and God?

I dislike churches since they are instruments of corrupt power and greed. They don't make it about God, but about themselves. Churches didn't exist with the apostles. We are the church and God is our pastor.
You are the church and God is a superstition. There is no evidence that God exists, and mountains of evidence that the Bible is just a biased collection of imaginative stories and fiction.

Christians, if they follow Romans, are punks.
Because... YOU have spoken?

Paul said do not conform to the ways of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your OWN mind.
And even if Paul said that, what makes him an authority?

He is saying if your going to accept God, do it of your own will, not to fit in with Christian America, not because mom and dad said it, and not because your pastor demands it. It's about coming to terms and being honest with God.
Before you can be honest with God, you have to be honest with yourself. And being honest with yourself, means recognizing that there is no reason to believe in God.

Jesus was a non conformist. The Pharisees were conforming.
And I certainly agree that the character of Jesus in the Bible was a conformist, who insisted that everyone must conform with him.
The word to describe that is, "hypocrite".

I can't prove God, Jesus or any of them existed. But it's just a belief. Let people believe what they want unless they are harming people physically or lying to them about science.