Jump to topic:

What's the point of being GOOD?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:26:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
According to the "christians" all you need do is believe on jesus committing suicide, under order of his father/self, to pay for your sins and you are saved from the eternal torture he/them originally planned for you.

So why would you need to do good?

There's only one way to avoid god's original plan for all of mankind and that is BELIEVE that he will save you from himself. Works are meaningless, anybody who is saved can murder and rape to his hearts content cos works are not necessary, just be saved and you are.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:11:03 PM
At 9/7/2014 11:26:29 AM, bulproof wrote:
According to the "christians" all you need do is believe on jesus committing suicide, under order of his father/self, to pay for your sins and you are saved from the eternal torture he/them originally planned for you.

Jesus said that person must be righteous, to get eternal life as a gift.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20

I think righteous person does good, because he is faithful to God and wants to do freely God"s will, because he understands that it is good.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 2:31:33 PM

There's only one way to avoid god's original plan for all of mankind and that is BELIEVE that he will save you from himself. Works are meaningless, anybody who is saved can murder and rape to his hearts content cos works are not necessary, just be saved and you are.

This is one of the common controversies of Christianity; works verses belief. It's simply another example of different people writing different versions of the fictional Jesus. Sometimes we find their character portrayals of Jesus claiming that one is saved by belief alone. Elsewhere, we find other writers stuffing contradictory claims into the mouth of their fictional Jesus, wherein he proposes that works are the key to salvation.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 6:09:04 PM

Ok, three quick verses from the new testament to set things up for my response. Feel free to ignore them, I know that it can seem frustrating when someone does it.

Romans 13:
"Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

Matthew 22:37-40
"And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

1 John 4:8
"Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love."

So, knowing God is all that it takes to Get to heaven, but we see from just these three pieces that there are a few pieces that go into "Knowing" God. Acknowledging God's existence is obviously the first part. Loving your neighbor as yourself, which is comprised of many things including the ten commandments, and loving God are two others.

So, in short, "Know God" is a tad bit more difficult to achieve that one might think.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 6:56:04 PM

You have much more wisdom than any Christian my friend. They don't know that there is no hell and that Jesus is a false deity within their mind. They don't understand that God has already planned to save all His people from their flesh and the rest of this world as their flesh dies in this first age. In fact, Christians don't understand anything that was written by the original prophets and saints. But they surely believe their new testament that false prophets put together for them to deceive themselves with.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 6:57:42 PM
At 9/7/2014 2:11:03 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Jesus said that person must be righteous, to get eternal life as a gift.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20

I think righteous person does good, because he is faithful to God and wants to do freely God"s will, because he understands that it is good.

Not ONE Christian has ever understood what "righteous" means. They actually believe they can make themselves righteous by believing in their false god named Jesus.
Gump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:04:49 PM
If the realm of Hell is full of sin, wouldn't this mean that it's a non-stop party where the only bad thing is that there's too many bitches to slay. And heaven is just a bunch of child molesters praising a sicko.
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:27:00 PM

What do you mean by 'good'?

God's original plan?

What makes your works 'good'? Your works do not save you because you are judged on the evil you do in those works. You have no idea of what good is outside of God. Why is your subjective opinion 'good'?

Peter
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:31:36 PM
At 9/7/2014 11:27:00 PM, PGA wrote:

God's original plan?

What makes your works 'good'? Your works do not save you because you are judged on the evil you do in those works. You have no idea of what good is outside of God. Why is your subjective opinion 'good'?

Peter

Let's try to stay on topic, at least this early in the thread anyways.
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:57:43 PM
At 9/7/2014 11:31:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:27:00 PM, PGA wrote:

Jesus did not commit suicide. He was murdered.

God is good and He will not allow sin/evil/wrongful actions in His presence. Since He knows what is good and since you don't do it you are under the penalty He imposed for evil - death, spiritual separation from His fellowship/presence. But since He loved the world He sent His Son into the world to reconcile man to God. Man sinned, man pays the penalty for sin. God, as a righteous, pure, holy God and Judge, requires holy living and goodness in order to have fellowship/relationship with Him. Jesus, the Son incarnate, lived that life for those who would believe on their behalf. Either you believe and accept this and trust in His merit or you answer for your actions before a just Judge on your own accord. Bitch and complain all you want, it won't do you any good. When your life is complete on this earth, when you have lived your last day, then you will either find out how wrong you were or nothing will matter. You place all you bundle of goodies in the basket that says nothing will matter.

God's original plan?

Peter

Let's try to stay on topic, at least this early in the thread anyways.

Goodness is on topic. You want to make value judgments. Where does your notion of good come from? I'm challenging you to define why what you believe 'good' actually is. You use the term. You asked why 'you need to be good'? How do you even define good outside of God?

Peter
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 1:45:09 AM
At 9/7/2014 6:09:04 PM, Arasa wrote:
"And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
Then what is left for you to fulfill the second?
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 10:23:43 AM
At 9/7/2014 6:57:42 PM, bornofgod wrote:
Not ONE Christian has ever understood what "righteous" means. They actually believe they can make themselves righteous by believing in their false god named Jesus.

If that is true, it sad, but hopefully we get change to that.

I think Bible explains well what righteous means and how person can become righteous.

It is certain wisdom or understanding and attitude:

He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just [= righteous]; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
Luke 1:17

The attitude or understanding can be seen as in this example:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [= to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered] rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

Righteous is faithful (loyal) to God.

Behold, his soul is puffed up. It is not upright in him, but the righteous will live by his faith.
Habakkuk 2:4 (Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38)

And faithfulness can be seen in that person loves as God wants:

Little children, let no one lead you astray. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Person can become righteous by words that Jesus told.

He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They said to him, "No, we haven't even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." He said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John's baptism." Paul said, "John indeed baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe in the one who would come after him, that is, in Jesus." When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke with other languages and prophesied.
Acts 19:2-6

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.
ohn 6:63
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 11:17:25 AM
At 9/8/2014 1:45:09 AM, bulproof wrote:
"And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

This needs a bump.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 1:46:43 PM
At 9/8/2014 10:23:43 AM, 12_13 wrote:
At 9/7/2014 6:57:42 PM, bornofgod wrote:

If that is true, it sad, but hopefully we get change to that.

I think Bible explains well what righteous means and how person can become righteous.

It is certain wisdom or understanding and attitude:

He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just [= righteous]; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
Luke 1:17

The attitude or understanding can be seen as in this example:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [= to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered] rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

Righteous is faithful (loyal) to God.

Behold, his soul is puffed up. It is not upright in him, but the righteous will live by his faith.
Habakkuk 2:4 (Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38)

And faithfulness can be seen in that person loves as God wants:

Little children, let no one lead you astray. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Person can become righteous by words that Jesus told.

He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They said to him, "No, we haven't even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." He said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John's baptism." Paul said, "John indeed baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe in the one who would come after him, that is, in Jesus." When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke with other languages and prophesied.
Acts 19:2-6

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.
ohn 6:63

We were ALL created as God's righteous people within His mind but the flesh He made us believe in during this age has kept us from knowing our true existence in Him. Man has viewed the flesh as something good or evil but the flesh is only an illusion that isn't real. All flesh will perish during this age so we can wake up to learn that we were created as God's righteous people, but only as His thoughts within His mind. We will learn that life is God's dream for us and we're only characters in His dream.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 5:41:33 PM
At 9/8/2014 1:45:09 AM, bulproof wrote:

I am not certain on what you are specifically asking here. Could you spare me a second attempt with more detail?

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind