Jump to topic:

Argument from Good for the Existence of God

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 2:16:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Given that the PoE and related arguments get thrown around so much, surely if God existed, and was all-good, and the universe was consistent with what we would expect from am all-good God then the theists would be using something akin to the following argument.

P1) If God does not exist, then the universe would contain gratuitous suffering/evil/brutality
P2. The universe does not contain gratuitous suffering/evil/brutality
C. God exists

Something along those lines, both premises are things the theist needs to affirm anyway, as such if they really were true then the theist should reasonably expect to present them as evidence in favor of God, and the PoE wouldn't even exist.

Clearly this is not the case though, no apologist will dare defend such an argument. Surely if the universe was a result of an all good god, we would I expect it to be much more significantly likely to be as a result of one than say, a morally neutral god, or an evil god. No such case I have seen so far has even been attempted to be made,
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 5:15:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/11/2014 2:16:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
Given that the PoE and related arguments get thrown around so much, surely if God existed, and was all-good, and the universe was consistent with what we would expect from am all-good God then the theists would be using something akin to the following argument.

P1) If God does not exist, then the universe would contain gratuitous suffering/evil/brutality
P2. The universe does not contain gratuitous suffering/evil/brutality
C. God exists

Something along those lines, both premises are things the theist needs to affirm anyway, as such if they really were true then the theist should reasonably expect to present them as evidence in favor of God, and the PoE wouldn't even exist.

Clearly this is not the case though, no apologist will dare defend such an argument. Surely if the universe was a result of an all good god, we would I expect it to be much more significantly likely to be as a result of one than say, a morally neutral god, or an evil god. No such case I have seen so far has even been attempted to be made,

Actually Envy, that would prove God, but it would prove a capricious and Evil God. That would prove a God who would not gift us free will, who not give us the ability to make mistakes. Everything would be perfect. It would be, essentially, like we were in the presence of God himself - unable to do anything but what he wills.

Never fail a test - EVERYONE got 100% as usual. We'd all be prefect pilots, we'd all be selected to be astronauts, Harvard grads, all have perfect nuclear families ... and be gay? Whatever ...

It would be a world in which logical consequences completely broke down.

It would definitely prove that God existed, if that were the case. But it would prove and extraordinarily capricious and controlling God.