Jump to topic:

Universalism?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 4:24:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This idea has been bothering me. This guy I follow has mentioned quotes about early church leaders believing in the idea of Christian Universalism, the belief that everyone will enter heaven. I looked at some of these people and the ones I've heard were trained in a school that was supposedly started by St. Mark from the bible. Check his website called Tentmaker.org if you wanna find these quotes and see if they are legit. I am gonna play a video where he goes on about the church fathers as well. Anybody care to share some thoughts or comments?
ChrisL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2014 9:11:18 PM
At 9/11/2014 4:24:22 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
This idea has been bothering me. This guy I follow has mentioned quotes about early church leaders believing in the idea of Christian Universalism, the belief that everyone will enter heaven. I looked at some of these people and the ones I've heard were trained in a school that was supposedly started by St. Mark from the bible. Check his website called Tentmaker.org if you wanna find these quotes and see if they are legit. I am gonna play a video where he goes on about the church fathers as well. Anybody care to share some thoughts or comments?

Most of those quotes are taken out of context. For instance, the one by Jerome. Jerome was taking about Christians in those passages, not all mankind. Some of them however, such as clement of Alexandria were actually universalist. Intestingly enough, the ones who espoused Universalism did so, primarily on the basis of the allegorical hermeneutic. Nevertheless, wether universalism is true or not does not depend on the early church fathers. It is to be based upon the testimony of scripture exegated properly.

I did a debate on universalism. My opening statement in that debate lays out a pretty solid scriptural argument that, I believe no universalit can surmount. I'm trying to get another universalist on the site to debate me on it as well. Hope to hear from him soon. Check it out. Hope it helps. God bless.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 5:04:14 PM
At 9/11/2014 10:33:21 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Just after a little over 2 minutes, I find a flaw in that he states that Hell is not mentioned in the Old Testament, in the teachings of Jesus, and the teachings of the Apostles (Which is essentially the entire bible, save James, Jude, Titus, and possibly Acts). This can easily be refuted with a search in one's concordance or website (StepBible.org is a fantastic resource by the way) to enter either "Hades", "Unquenchable fire", "Hell" or even a quick jaunt over to Matthew in which a man cries out from Hell to Lazarus.

I have not listened to the rest as of yet, but that is an immediate error that I am sure his argument is based off of.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind