Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

How can faith make your life worthwhile?

WaterHat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 9:02:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why is there something rather than nothing?
A question that philosophers and physicists still struggle to answer. I, however, struggle with an iteration of this question. A question that most find easy to answer.
Would I rather exist than not exist at all? Is existence a bless, or is it a curse?

Right now, you're probably thinking I'm just another person struggling with my bad luck in life, but that is not true. As a matter of fact, I live a life most would envy me on. I have a loving family, wonderful friends, wealth, health, and I can keep going on forever. It's not a lack of anything life can offer that is bugging me, but rather a lack of purpose.

I look around, and see people moving through life with strive and motivation, as if they can see the purpose of their lives right in front of their eyes. Many claim they do, and I envy those. No, not because I wish I had a purpose as they do. I envy them for their ignorance. The ignorance which acted upon them not realizing that the purpose they live for is as worthless as living with no purpose at all. Live to work only to die, or live only to die. Is there any real difference there? Is there any purpose that would actually make anything worthwhile?

Going a couple of years back, when I begun to question my sense of purpose, what keeps me going, I realized that every purpose needs a purpose itself.
I keep studying for the purpose of passing. I keep passing for the purpose of graduating. I graduate for the purpose of getting a well paying job. I do so for the purpose of securing my life. But.. What is the purpose of my life to start with?

Let me try again. I keep studying to gain knowledge. I gain knowledge to find an influencial job. I'll find an influential job to change the world.
Yes, that definitely sounds better. That can keep me going. And it did, only for a couple of years that is. Because sooner or later I had to question the purpose of changing the world.

Why would I want to change the world? For what purpose? To change the lives of others to the better? Why? To realize my potential and reach self satisfaction? Why? To feel happy? Hmm. Yes, happiness is definitely a valid reason. What else would I ask for if I was happy?

But, if happiness was the ultimate purpose, why shouldn't I take a shortcut? Why bother go through changing the world, if I can become happy through spending my life with my significant other. Or rather spend it on certain drugs scientifically proven to result in happiness. No, this is all temporary. What I seek is a lasting happiness. Yes, one that does not end by the gradual disappearance of affection, or by the death of my loved ones, or by regaining councousness.
But then again, is the happiness acquired through changing the world truly permenant? It is not, and I say that based on my humble experience with happiness. It fades. Happiness will always fail as a purpose. Happiness is simply a side effect of progressing through life towards a purpose, a side effect of realizing a purpose. And it fades as the purpose fades.

Well then, how about working for a purpose that will never fade. But wouldn't that automatically make it a purpose that is impossible to realizize? Maybe. How about a purpose which the realization of is ever lasting? Err, I'm lost. What could be a purpose that can be realized, and will keep being realized for the rest of my life?

I can hear you. Yes, I can hear your screams, religious folks, claiming that the purpose I am searching for is God. Is that so? Maybe. But how? Convince me. How is having God as the purpose result in a worthwhile purposeful life?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 7:38:52 PM
At 9/15/2014 9:02:48 AM, WaterHat wrote:
Why is there something rather than nothing?
A question that philosophers and physicists still struggle to answer. I, however, struggle with an iteration of this question. A question that most find easy to answer.
Would I rather exist than not exist at all? Is existence a bless, or is it a curse?

Right now, you're probably thinking I'm just another person struggling with my bad luck in life, but that is not true. As a matter of fact, I live a life most would envy me on. I have a loving family, wonderful friends, wealth, health, and I can keep going on forever. It's not a lack of anything life can offer that is bugging me, but rather a lack of purpose.

I look around, and see people moving through life with strive and motivation, as if they can see the purpose of their lives right in front of their eyes. Many claim they do, and I envy those. No, not because I wish I had a purpose as they do. I envy them for their ignorance. The ignorance which acted upon them not realizing that the purpose they live for is as worthless as living with no purpose at all. Live to work only to die, or live only to die. Is there any real difference there? Is there any purpose that would actually make anything worthwhile?

Going a couple of years back, when I begun to question my sense of purpose, what keeps me going, I realized that every purpose needs a purpose itself.
I keep studying for the purpose of passing. I keep passing for the purpose of graduating. I graduate for the purpose of getting a well paying job. I do so for the purpose of securing my life. But.. What is the purpose of my life to start with?

Let me try again. I keep studying to gain knowledge. I gain knowledge to find an influencial job. I'll find an influential job to change the world.
Yes, that definitely sounds better. That can keep me going. And it did, only for a couple of years that is. Because sooner or later I had to question the purpose of changing the world.

Why would I want to change the world? For what purpose? To change the lives of others to the better? Why? To realize my potential and reach self satisfaction? Why? To feel happy? Hmm. Yes, happiness is definitely a valid reason. What else would I ask for if I was happy?

But, if happiness was the ultimate purpose, why shouldn't I take a shortcut? Why bother go through changing the world, if I can become happy through spending my life with my significant other. Or rather spend it on certain drugs scientifically proven to result in happiness. No, this is all temporary. What I seek is a lasting happiness. Yes, one that does not end by the gradual disappearance of affection, or by the death of my loved ones, or by regaining councousness.
But then again, is the happiness acquired through changing the world truly permenant? It is not, and I say that based on my humble experience with happiness. It fades. Happiness will always fail as a purpose. Happiness is simply a side effect of progressing through life towards a purpose, a side effect of realizing a purpose. And it fades as the purpose fades.

Well then, how about working for a purpose that will never fade. But wouldn't that automatically make it a purpose that is impossible to realizize? Maybe. How about a purpose which the realization of is ever lasting? Err, I'm lost. What could be a purpose that can be realized, and will keep being realized for the rest of my life?

I can hear you. Yes, I can hear your screams, religious folks, claiming that the purpose I am searching for is God. Is that so? Maybe. But how? Convince me. How is having God as the purpose result in a worthwhile purposeful life?

You're having an existential crisis at 21?

If you were older I'd tell you to buy a bright red sports car. It seems to work for some middle-aged men. :-)
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 8:01:46 PM
If you died and looked back on your life, what were the things that made your life meaningful?

Whatever you did that was good, probably.

But what is good? You can't take your money, achievements, glory, discoveries, or any other measure of success to the grave with you.

What was good, and what made your life meaningful, was selfless love. Selfless love of friends, family, and others. Love is what gives our life, and the lives around us, fulfillment, joy, and meaning.

Pursue a life of selfless love. If you could look back at your life after the grave, no other pursuit could be as good and as meaningful.

Imagine a world where everybody loved selflessly. Could you imagine a greater world than this?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 8:14:42 PM
In a universe of nothingness (no universe), it would be just as valid to ask..

Why is there nothing, rather than something?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 8:56:30 PM
At 9/15/2014 9:02:48 AM, WaterHat wrote:

Because God sees and thinks on a much higher level than you, God's wisdom is much deeper than ours so having God as the purpose or direction in our life results in purpose that is beyond ourselves, a purpose that has no end, a purpose that has more depth than we could have dreamed, a continual renewal and everlasting birth of knowledge that is beyond what we could perceive.

"Purpose" is that of a spiritual nature as a Christian (John 3: 3-7), when that begins to culminate it manifests outward into the physical as a result.

All physical things fade like you said but the spirit does not fade, happiness that is found within in our physical world inevitably fades but happiness that is found in spiritual things fades not likewise purpose in physical aspects fades while purpose found in spirit is continual, because God is "continual" ect.
And I can see your frustration and contemplation over temporal vs eternal things and the scriptures are with you. God fulfills that eternal purpose that you desire.

Romans 8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

2 Corinthians 5
1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

John 4
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

James 1
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Matthew 6
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

John 14
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

I'm only posting scriptures to present you with something to think on.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 9:03:53 PM
Some can't seem to fathom that writings with no basis for a claim of authority are essentially worthless in seeking meaning. Those who look to the Bible for direction are not greatly dissimilar that those who look to Star Trek to find inspirational teachings.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire