Jump to topic:

Can There Ever Be Serious Debate Here?

RulerOfNone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 10:29:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've noticed a sort of pattern during my visits to this forum. It would seem that serious, rational debate is almost impossible when religion is involved. On one end, we have a number of atheists; some make good, rational points, others are simply inflammatory. On the other, we seem to have a large number of Christians who use this forum as a pulpit rather than a podium. They don't try to argue positions, they just preach. This pattern repeats itself across the whole board, with only occasional exceptions. What's the point, anymore?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 10:44:04 AM
At 9/17/2014 10:29:52 AM, RulerOfNone wrote:
I've noticed a sort of pattern during my visits to this forum. It would seem that serious, rational debate is almost impossible when religion is involved. On one end, we have a number of atheists; some make good, rational points, others are simply inflammatory. On the other, we seem to have a large number of Christians who use this forum as a pulpit rather than a podium. They don't try to argue positions, they just preach. This pattern repeats itself across the whole board, with only occasional exceptions. What's the point, anymore?

Hence why I don't bother posting much here anymore....
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 10:45:11 AM

Debates are much more preferable since I can choose my opponent and there is something at stake! hence points actually need to be well reasoned and critiqued.
RulerOfNone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 10:56:00 AM
At 9/17/2014 10:45:11 AM, Envisage wrote:

Debates are much more preferable since I can choose my opponent and there is something at stake! hence points actually need to be well reasoned and critiqued.

There's preachers there, too. At least there's not as many there.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 12:32:46 PM
Good question!

I have come to the conclusion that honest debate is next to impossible when "programming" is involved. By programming I mean that one is not searching for truth anymore; one is merely seeking to reinforce his/her current dogma. That means that that person will likely never admit to being wrong.

That doesn't just involve religion; it involves politics as well. That is precisely why they aren't topics for polite discussion in real life, unless one is preaching to the choir.

Why try then? Well, I enjoy debating politics and religion, and I'd rather not be impolite in real life. It is a good outlet online. Also, I enjoy challenging my current worldview-- iron sharpens iron (when one can find good iron in an opponent). I keep hoping that I will learn something from both those I agree and disagree with.

Finally, I actually DID change my worldview re: religion, science, economics, and politics via online debate and online educational texts.

So, there is always SOME hope...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 12:35:53 PM
If you want sanity from the insane, you are looking in the wrong place. These people don"t care about the subject at hand, they are always making it about themselves. And the fruits of that are quite obvious.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 12:45:32 PM

It is simple. Many theists (not all) want to preach, they don't listen to what anyone else says, or they do not understand what others say. Many atheists (not all) troll, treat theists like idiots, or genuinely want to discuss this topic.

In order for there to be a serious debate, both sides have to want to discuss this topic.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 4:32:32 PM
I really suggest using this forum as a springboard for debate ideas, to be held as formal debates here... Granted type-2-trolls often refuse to accept debates to defend their stupidity.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 9:55:37 PM

I've never understood why people like to argue about religion in the first place.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 10:01:38 PM

Religious people don't have any knowledge of God to know the Truth so they have to defend their lies. This causes them to argue with each other and with anyone else who doesn't believe their lies.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 1:49:17 PM

It boils down to why you are here. A Christian will almost always have more logical reasons for being here. The forum is "Religion", are you surprised people want to "preach"?

I like people and enjoy discourse with them. I dislike trolls and people who only want a soapbox on which to rant. So what do I do?

I dismiss the idiots. Sometimes with silence, and sometimes with flippant posts. I concentrate on the better posters. I have had some enjoyable exchanges.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 11:15:09 AM
At 9/25/2014 1:49:17 PM, ethang5 wrote:

It boils down to why you are here. A Christian will almost always have more logical reasons for being here. The forum is "Religion", are you surprised people want to "preach"?

I like people and enjoy discourse with them. I dislike trolls and people who only want a soapbox on which to rant. So what do I do?

I dismiss the idiots. Sometimes with silence, and sometimes with flippant posts. I concentrate on the better posters. I have had some enjoyable exchanges.

So apparently the soapbox is out but the pulpit is in?
This is your view?
You can rant from the pulpit but don't you dare rant from the soapbox.
Well I have to admit it's a very christian sentiment at least.
Good for you.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 12:21:47 PM
At 9/26/2014 11:15:09 AM, bulproof wrote:

This is your view?
Good for you.

Case in point.

Dismissed.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 12:26:18 PM
At 9/26/2014 12:21:47 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/26/2014 11:15:09 AM, bulproof wrote:

This is your view?
Good for you.

Case in point.

Dismissed.

Case in point proven and vindicated conclusively.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 12:26:22 PM

Yes there can, I have had one or two serious discussions but unfortunately they do seem to be few and far between.

All too often it is eitehr ones trying to mock, as you say, or ones simply trying to prove how much cleverer they are than everyone who doesn't agree with them.

From a human point of view there probably is little point much of the time, but I have to admit I always bear in mind that what I post may just as easily be "overheard" by someone who is simply dipping their toes in the water.

God and Christ must see a point in my being here because much as I think at times that I have had a enough of hitting my head against the prick wall of the egos of some on here, they keep me coming back.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 12:27:44 PM

So if a Christian rants from a soapbox, it's just "preaching" and should be expected. But if an atheist mounts a soapbox approach, then it's just trolling and ranting? Interesting perspective, but just a prejudice, not a reality.

Sometimes we learn the most from some of the least pleasant exchanges. But that's when they are exchanges of ideas, and not just childish exchanges of insults. People should understand that if you believe elves dirty your dishes at night, you'll be opening yourself to deserved ridicule. And if you believe an unevidenced sky-fairy listens to your pleas and responds, that ridicule is just as deserved and even appropriate.

One of the major problems has already been mentioned by Fly in Post #6. He mentions religion and politics, as well as "programming" and he nailed the problem. In fact, a study conducted at Stoneybrook University under the direction of Charles Tabor, demonstrated that when it comes to politics and religion, people don't arrive at their conclusions via dispassionate reason. Instead they hold to emotional responses, and then try to justify their emotional decisions.
http://www.scientificamerican.com...

This should come as no surprise to anyone who has ever tried to reason with a theist about their religious beliefs. Those beliefs have nothing to do with reason or logic. It's all about what makes them feel emotionally comforted. Psychologically speaking, religion is the adult form of a security blanket. So one has to understand that no matter how salient and compelling a given point of argument, someone holding an opposing view on emotional grounds will remain unmoved. As for formal debates, they're pointless; theists vote with theists, and atheists vote with atheists. There is little, if any, crossing of fences.

When dealing with emotional "programming", it's not the veracity of the argument that is effective, as much as the frequency. The only way to get someone to apply actual cognition to an emotionally held belief, is to keep placing the logical reality in their face. Eventually, a very small few of them will begin to notice that their beliefs simply don't fit with reality. Even then it will take a long time for them to begin to admit this at a fully conscious level. Anyone who expects a theist to admit they're wrong over the course of a few days or a few weeks will be sadly disappointed. Such changes - even for the most honest and most intelligent - require many months to a few years.

It's a matter of continually planting the seed. Eventually, a few will take root. The more honest and intelligent the person in question, the faster they will be able to admit that their beliefs are unsupportable. Most will never admit it, both as a shield for their psyche, and out of the belief that pure stubbornness in holding an irrational belief (faith), is some form of virtue, and valued by God.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 2:07:10 PM
At 9/26/2014 12:27:44 PM, Beastt wrote:

So if a Christian rants from a soapbox, it's just "preaching" and should be expected. But if an atheist mounts a soapbox approach, then it's just trolling and ranting? Interesting perspective, but just a prejudice, not a reality.

Yet another case in point.

Sometimes we learn the most from some of the least pleasant exchanges. But that's when they are exchanges of ideas, and not just childish exchanges of insults. People should understand that if you believe elves dirty your dishes at night, you'll be opening yourself to deserved ridicule. And if you believe an unevidenced sky-fairy listens to your pleas and responds, that ridicule is just as deserved and even appropriate.

Then why do you respond so negatively to ridicule?

This should come as no surprise to anyone who has ever tried to reason with a theist about their religious beliefs. Those beliefs have nothing to do with reason or logic. It's all about what makes them feel emotionally comforted. Psychologically speaking, religion is the adult form of a security blanket. So one has to understand that no matter how salient and compelling a given point of argument, someone holding an opposing view on emotional grounds will remain unmoved. As for formal debates, they're pointless; theists vote with theists, and atheists vote with atheists. There is little, if any, crossing of fences.

When dealing with emotional "programming", it's not the veracity of the argument that is effective, as much as the frequency. The only way to get someone to apply actual cognition to an emotionally held belief, is to keep placing the logical reality in their face. Eventually, a very small few of them will begin to notice that their beliefs simply don't fit with reality. Even then it will take a long time for them to begin to admit this at a fully conscious level. Anyone who expects a theist to admit they're wrong over the course of a few days or a few weeks will be sadly disappointed. Such changes - even for the most honest and most intelligent - require many months to a few years.

It's a matter of continually planting the seed. Eventually, a few will take root. The more honest and intelligent the person in question, the faster they will be able to admit that their beliefs are unsupportable. Most will never admit it, both as a shield for their psyche, and out of the belief that pure stubbornness in holding an irrational belief (faith), is some form of virtue, and valued by God.

Sigh. Yet another rant.

Dismissed.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:20:22 PM

Hello, August Rasa here. I see that you are somewhat new to this platform, so... Welcome to Debate.Org

While I personally hope that this image of the religious feeds will change, I certainly do not deny that there are some advertisers here, you would be surprised how many on both sides there are that have some very profound things to say. However, I think that many of them are finding their schedules somewhat loaded, and so it may be days or weeks between their remarks. I myself have been limited to my private messaging conversations lately, but every now and then I will try to jump back into the fray.

If you would like to hear interesting conversation for Atheism vs Christianity, try following these people...
1. bulproof (although he has many parthian shots- little snippits of insults at the very ends of his remarks)
2. Bornofgod (he is not an atheist, but he certainly provides openings for atheists to insert interesting points)
3. Annanicole (She is not an atheist, but her conversations will quickly lead into historical backgrounds and plenty of other extra-biblical information that makes for some interesting responses)
4. Myself (I am not an atheist, but I certainly don't allow free shots here), though I am somewhat of a recluse lately.
5. Christianpunk (Some decent work, and asks very good questions that lead to very good conversations)

I am certain that there are more, but no other names come to mind as of yet.
Beware of the following:
1. Logicallunatic
2. CelestialTorahteacher
3. Bornofgod (Yep, he's on both lists)
4. POPOO and then a bunch of numbers after that.
5. Madcornishbiker
6. Fatihah (although it is probably unfair for him to be on this list. He's got some good stuff, but he gets distracted too easily)

Those six will say very interesting things, but to engage with them does not make for very good conversation and will go south rather abruptly

Hope to see you on the forums, or private message me if you have questions

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:26:51 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:20:22 PM, Arasa wrote:

Hello, August Rasa here. I see that you are somewhat new to this platform, so... Welcome to Debate.Org

While I personally hope that this image of the religious feeds will change, I certainly do not deny that there are some advertisers here, you would be surprised how many on both sides there are that have some very profound things to say. However, I think that many of them are finding their schedules somewhat loaded, and so it may be days or weeks between their remarks. I myself have been limited to my private messaging conversations lately, but every now and then I will try to jump back into the fray.

If you would like to hear interesting conversation for Atheism vs Christianity, try following these people...
1. bulproof (although he has many parthian shots- little snippits of insults at the very ends of his remarks)
2. Bornofgod (he is not an atheist, but he certainly provides openings for atheists to insert interesting points)
3. Annanicole (She is not an atheist, but her conversations will quickly lead into historical backgrounds and plenty of other extra-biblical information that makes for some interesting responses)
4. Myself (I am not an atheist, but I certainly don't allow free shots here), though I am somewhat of a recluse lately.
5. Christianpunk (Some decent work, and asks very good questions that lead to very good conversations)

Beware of the following:
1. Logicallunatic
2. CelestialTorahteacher
5. Madcornishbiker
6. Fatihah (although it is probably unfair for him to be on this list. He's got some good stuff, but he gets distracted too easily)

Those six will say very interesting things, but to engage with them does not make for very good conversation and will go south rather abruptly

See Post #18.

Add ethang5 to your second list.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 4:20:47 AM

Beware of the following:
1. Logicallunatic
2. CelestialTorahteacher
5. Madcornishbiker

Yes by all means beware of me, because, as with my leader and King who I do all I can to imitate, Christ I will:

1) Always speak truth whether or not you like it, or it offends.

2) Always treat you with as much, or as little, respect as you treat me.

3) I don't insult people. If I say something you take as an insult that is your choice, but if I say it, then it is the impression your posts give me.

4) Like Christ I don't tolerate fools all that gladly.

5) I don't care whether or not you like the answer. If you ask the question you will get the truthful answer.

As some of those on here who have asked to be added to my friends list will tell you, I am every bit as capable of reasonable discussion as you are, because I am reactive not proactive, however, with me what you see in print is what you get. No apologies, just blunt no holds barred truth.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 8:58:33 AM

I think you missed the point of the OP.

This is specifically what the OP complained about! And you recommend him! lol

Beware of the following:
1. Logicallunatic
2. CelestialTorahteacher

How in the world can you recommend that he both follow and stay clear of, the same person??

Anyway, at least now the standard you used to make your choices are more clear to me.

5. Madcornishbiker

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 10:45:12 AM
At 9/29/2014 8:58:33 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Now that looks like butt hurt.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 10:56:54 AM
At 9/29/2014 10:45:12 AM, bulproof wrote:

You don't have the power or ability to hurt anyone, no-one takes you seriously enough, lol.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 11:09:08 AM
At 9/29/2014 10:56:54 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You don't have the power or ability to hurt anyone, no-one takes you seriously enough, lol.

Will you just look at the insightful wisdom displayed here by the mad.
Oh wait, I never claimed to.

Scratch that mad is as mad as ever and doesn't understand the written word.
Of course he doesn't need to, he has everything he needs rattling around in his empty bonce.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 11:12:11 AM
At 9/29/2014 11:09:08 AM, bulproof wrote:

Of course he doesn't need to, he has everything he needs rattling around in his empty bonce.

As we see, there is no conversation possible once this terd floats in ...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 11:16:14 AM
At 9/29/2014 11:12:11 AM, neutral wrote:

hahahahaha
How funny is that?
You do realise that this>Check Your Spelling< exists on this very forum?
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 11:19:39 AM
At 9/29/2014 11:16:14 AM, bulproof wrote:

hahahahaha
How funny is that?

You seem to retain the illusion that I care enough about you to waste time checking my spelling in the delusional hope of an intelligent response from you.

I have long since stopped believing you are capable of such a reply ... as this and every other thread you touch demonstrates.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 11:21:53 AM
At 9/29/2014 11:19:39 AM, neutral wrote:

hahahahaha
How funny is that?

You seem to retain the illusion that I care enough about you to waste time checking my spelling in the delusional hope of an intelligent response from you.

I have long since stopped believing you are capable of such a reply ... as this and every other thread you touch demonstrates.

Cop Out.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 11:22:43 AM
At 9/29/2014 11:21:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/29/2014 11:19:39 AM, neutral wrote:

hahahahaha
How funny is that?

Cop Out.

Floating terd.