Jump to topic:

My possibly bad attempt at reason.

Bonzomi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 5:15:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have written something out of what I read in some of the religious debates. I try to summarize things, but I'm probably missing out on a lot, I might be even saying wrong stuff, but I'd like some feedback.

https://docs.google.com...
1Credo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 5:24:21 PM
I disagree with what you say about the omnipotence of God. I do not believe that God can , for example, create a square circle. By your definition, this would disqualify Him from omnipotence. But I don't know anyone who believes that God can do (or not do, as it is an incoherence) something like this. I would say God is omnipotent in the sense that He is able to do anything and everything logically possible.

I would also suggest considering the relationship between the three concepts you mention (omnibenevolence, omnipotency, and omniscience) and free will. Perhaps it is in this relationship that the answers to the questions you posed might be found. Also, I would add that by no means is a Christian held to a literal interpretation of the story of the flood.
Bonzomi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 5:30:20 PM
At 9/17/2014 5:24:21 PM, 1Credo wrote:
I disagree with what you say about the omnipotence of God. I do not believe that God can , for example, create a square circle. By your definition, this would disqualify Him from omnipotence. But I don't know anyone who believes that God can do (or not do, as it is an incoherence) something like this. I would say God is omnipotent in the sense that He is able to do anything and everything logically possible.

I would also suggest considering the relationship between the three concepts you mention (omnibenevolence, omnipotency, and omniscience) and free will. Perhaps it is in this relationship that the answers to the questions you posed might be found. Also, I would add that by no means is a Christian held to a literal interpretation of the story of the flood.

I understand where you're going with the square circle, this seems similar with the God making a rock heavy enough that he can't lift, isn't it? But I was making an irrational assumption where God transcends 'everything'... or.. just... yeah I'm not really sure.