Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Confirmation Bias, who really suffers from it

MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 11:03:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Confirmation Bias is often described as the act of ignoring evidence that points to the true outcome in favour of the outcome you wish to see.

Bulproof, frequency accuses me of that, whilst at the same time ignoring what is to me obvious evidence which casts a great deal of reasonable doubt on his belief, or lack of it. He does this in order to maintain his belief, or lack of it.

That truly is confirmation Bias.

But what about me do I really suffer from it?

Let's examine the facts.

Do I want Armageddon to come sooner or later.

From a personal viewpoint I have a number of reasons to wish it were further off than it may be if the signs I recognise are as real as they seem to me. What may those reasons be?

1) The more I realise just how rough life is going to be when the great Tribulation reaches it's peak, the more I wish I could die before it and get a free pass through for being faithful, into the peace that will be on the otehr side.

I have 3 sons who I love dearly, one of whom was a baptised JW but has turned his back on it, one who wanted to get baptised but got bitter when the Elders didn't believe he was ready, which when you think about it proved they were right, and one who was learning. None are now associated with God's people, and if Armageddon comes before they either die or turn to God then they will die, permanently. As loving father I do not want that. I want life for my children as well as myself, therefore the further away Armageddon is, the better for me.

The longer Armageddon takes to arrive, the more the chance improves of saving a larger number of people.

So no, the signs that I believe point to the growth of the Great Tribulation, and announce Satan's casting down to the earth, having great anger, to cause as much trouble as he can, are not welcome signs, but I cannot just ignore them to suit myself as bulproof can.

So in fact my recognising them is the precise opposite of Confirmation Bias, it is much more an acceptance of inevitable truth, or the possibility of.

Do you suffer from it? Dare you be truly honest with yourself about that? Or like me and those like me, do you guard against it?
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 11:09:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 11:03:34 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Confirmation Bias is often described as the act of ignoring evidence that points to the true outcome in favour of the outcome you wish to see.

Bulproof, frequency accuses me of that, whilst at the same time ignoring what is to me obvious evidence which casts a great deal of reasonable doubt on his belief, or lack of it. He does this in order to maintain his belief, or lack of it.

That truly is confirmation Bias.

But what about me do I really suffer from it?

Let's examine the facts.

Do I want Armageddon to come sooner or later.

From a personal viewpoint I have a number of reasons to wish it were further off than it may be if the signs I recognise are as real as they seem to me. What may those reasons be?

1) The more I realise just how rough life is going to be when the great Tribulation reaches it's peak, the more I wish I could die before it and get a free pass through for being faithful, into the peace that will be on the otehr side.

I have 3 sons who I love dearly, one of whom was a baptised JW but has turned his back on it, one who wanted to get baptised but got bitter when the Elders didn't believe he was ready, which when you think about it proved they were right, and one who was learning. None are now associated with God's people, and if Armageddon comes before they either die or turn to God then they will die, permanently. As loving father I do not want that. I want life for my children as well as myself, therefore the further away Armageddon is, the better for me.

The longer Armageddon takes to arrive, the more the chance improves of saving a larger number of people.

So no, the signs that I believe point to the growth of the Great Tribulation, and announce Satan's casting down to the earth, having great anger, to cause as much trouble as he can, are not welcome signs, but I cannot just ignore them to suit myself as bulproof can.

So in fact my recognising them is the precise opposite of Confirmation Bias, it is much more an acceptance of inevitable truth, or the possibility of.

Do you suffer from it? Dare you be truly honest with yourself about that? Or like me and those like me, do you guard against it?

Not ONE Christian understands the difference between the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that has kept God's people confused since waking up in this make-believe world.

Those who fear the good and evil in this world are totally deceived of the tree of life that we all were created in.

Genesis 3
23: therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken.
24: He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

Only us saints were taught the difference between the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. God's chosen believers who listen to us will learn, also.

Christians are looking for a physical war called Armageddon between good and evil people. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 11:30:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
MCB, you're a coward who can 't hear the voice of the Lord or obey His commandments. If you were a true saint, you would understand ALL God's prophecies and know that we were created in His invisible Christ before any visible world appeared from our individual created perspectives.
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 11:32:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
You are reframing the question, and you shouldn't do that. Confirmation bias is about beliefs, not personal desires. The question you should be asking yourself is: "Do I believe (not wish) that Armageddon will come sooner or later?"

At least, that would be a start...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 12:19:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 11:03:34 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Confirmation Bias is often described as the act of ignoring evidence that points to the true outcome in favour of the outcome you wish to see.

Bulproof, frequency accuses me of that, whilst at the same time ignoring what is to me obvious evidence which casts a great deal of reasonable doubt on his belief, or lack of it. He does this in order to maintain his belief, or lack of it.

That truly is confirmation Bias.

But what about me do I really suffer from it?

Let's examine the facts.

Do I want Armageddon to come sooner or later.

From a personal viewpoint I have a number of reasons to wish it were further off than it may be if the signs I recognise are as real as they seem to me. What may those reasons be?

1) The more I realise just how rough life is going to be when the great Tribulation reaches it's peak, the more I wish I could die before it and get a free pass through for being faithful, into the peace that will be on the otehr side.

I have 3 sons who I love dearly, one of whom was a baptised JW but has turned his back on it, one who wanted to get baptised but got bitter when the Elders didn't believe he was ready, which when you think about it proved they were right, and one who was learning. None are now associated with God's people, and if Armageddon comes before they either die or turn to God then they will die, permanently. As loving father I do not want that. I want life for my children as well as myself, therefore the further away Armageddon is, the better for me.

The longer Armageddon takes to arrive, the more the chance improves of saving a larger number of people.

So no, the signs that I believe point to the growth of the Great Tribulation, and announce Satan's casting down to the earth, having great anger, to cause as much trouble as he can, are not welcome signs, but I cannot just ignore them to suit myself as bulproof can.

So in fact my recognising them is the precise opposite of Confirmation Bias, it is much more an acceptance of inevitable truth, or the possibility of.

Do you suffer from it? Dare you be truly honest with yourself about that? Or like me and those like me, do you guard against it?

EVERYBODY suffers from it to some degree. Recognizing it and trying to combat it is the really the only thing we can do.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 5:08:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 11:32:37 AM, Fly wrote:
You are reframing the question, and you shouldn't do that. Confirmation bias is about beliefs, not personal desires. The question you should be asking yourself is: "Do I believe (not wish) that Armageddon will come sooner or later?"

At least, that would be a start...

"Confirmation bias, also called myside bias, is the tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses." http://en.wikipedia.org...

That is precisely what I referred to it as and is the whole point of my question

I already know the answer to that one, whether I like it or not. Basically the answer to whether Armageddon is coming sooner or later is, "sooner than I would ideally like it to, but neither sooner nor later than suits God for it to come.". God nows the bet tme to bring this wicked world to an end, and that is when he will act, or to be more precise, allow his son to act.

I do not interpret thing as I would like them to be, but as they are, because all I am interested in is truth whether I like it or not.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 5:09:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 12:19:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/18/2014 11:03:34 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Confirmation Bias is often described as the act of ignoring evidence that points to the true outcome in favour of the outcome you wish to see.

Bulproof, frequency accuses me of that, whilst at the same time ignoring what is to me obvious evidence which casts a great deal of reasonable doubt on his belief, or lack of it. He does this in order to maintain his belief, or lack of it.

That truly is confirmation Bias.

But what about me do I really suffer from it?

Let's examine the facts.

Do I want Armageddon to come sooner or later.

From a personal viewpoint I have a number of reasons to wish it were further off than it may be if the signs I recognise are as real as they seem to me. What may those reasons be?

1) The more I realise just how rough life is going to be when the great Tribulation reaches it's peak, the more I wish I could die before it and get a free pass through for being faithful, into the peace that will be on the otehr side.

I have 3 sons who I love dearly, one of whom was a baptised JW but has turned his back on it, one who wanted to get baptised but got bitter when the Elders didn't believe he was ready, which when you think about it proved they were right, and one who was learning. None are now associated with God's people, and if Armageddon comes before they either die or turn to God then they will die, permanently. As loving father I do not want that. I want life for my children as well as myself, therefore the further away Armageddon is, the better for me.

The longer Armageddon takes to arrive, the more the chance improves of saving a larger number of people.

So no, the signs that I believe point to the growth of the Great Tribulation, and announce Satan's casting down to the earth, having great anger, to cause as much trouble as he can, are not welcome signs, but I cannot just ignore them to suit myself as bulproof can.

So in fact my recognising them is the precise opposite of Confirmation Bias, it is much more an acceptance of inevitable truth, or the possibility of.

Do you suffer from it? Dare you be truly honest with yourself about that? Or like me and those like me, do you guard against it?

EVERYBODY suffers from it to some degree. Recognizing it and trying to combat it is the really the only thing we can do.

That is very true, and why I wok so hard to do just that.