Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 5:34:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Archbishop of Canterbury:

http://www.smh.com.au...

With some long overdue honesty:

"I mean there are moments, sure, where you think 'is there a God?', 'Where is God?' "

"The other day I was praying over something as I was running and I ended up saying to God 'Look this is all very well but isn't it about time you did something " if you're there' " which is probably not what the Archbishop of Canterbury should say."

"We know about Jesus, we can't explain all the questions in the world, we can't explain about suffering, we can't explain loads of things but we know about Jesus.
"We can talk about Jesus " I always do that because most of the other questions I can't answer."
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 5:41:28 AM
At 9/19/2014 5:34:51 AM, dee-em wrote:

"I mean there are moments, sure, where you think 'is there a God?', 'Where is God?' "

"The other day I was praying over something as I was running and I ended up saying to God 'Look this is all very well but isn't it about time you did something " if you're there' " which is probably not what the Archbishop of Canterbury should say."

"We know about Jesus, we can't explain all the questions in the world, we can't explain about suffering, we can't explain loads of things but we know about Jesus.
"We can talk about Jesus " I always do that because most of the other questions I can't answer."

Doubt has to be there to a degree,

Hence why it's called faith in God.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 5:52:41 AM
At 9/19/2014 5:41:28 AM, johnlubba wrote:

You wouldn't know it from some people in this forum.

Faith is having doubt about what you believe? I thought faith was casting everything aside (including doubt) and just believing.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 9:00:36 AM
Pope Benedict resigned his post as Pope, one of the reasons he stated is that he prayed for guidance from Jesus and he didn't receive any.

Pope Benedict is no longer pope because he can no longer believe that Jesus will answer his prayers.

If Jesus will not answer the Popes prayers what hope do you people have?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 9:54:24 AM
Ok? You know that there is something called the dark night of the soul in Christian tradition (and in other religious traditions, too) , right?

Mother Theresa doubted, too. That's part of being religious.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 9:55:07 AM
At 9/19/2014 5:52:41 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/19/2014 5:41:28 AM, johnlubba wrote:

You wouldn't know it from some people in this forum.

Faith is having doubt about what you believe? I thought faith was casting everything aside (including doubt) and just believing.

You thought wrong.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:02:32 AM
The Israeli authorities of the day didn"t believe Jesus was the Christ, and that didn"t prove anything one way or the other either. Canterbury, (Church of England) like when the Catholic church started is a church of the state. The king of England is the vicar and when there where roman emperors the Pope if there was one, answered to the emperor. Such churches in their hay day had much power and influence and those who received authority in such church weren"t always true believers. Most successful people (not all) seek fulfillment of their own desires in this life, not fulfillment in the life of Christ.

As far as "honesty", it doesn"t matter, most true followers of Jesus Christ pickup on whether some else that is a church authority is a true follower or not. It doesn"t change anything. No more than you saying you don"t believe something, and no one else changes what they believe.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:11:02 AM
I respect people who express doubt... it's the certainty that's an issue.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:34:16 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 12:38:39 PM
At 9/19/2014 9:54:24 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Ok? You know that there is something called the dark night of the soul in Christian tradition (and in other religious traditions, too) , right?

It's a common part of being wrong... or should be.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 12:52:49 PM
At 9/19/2014 10:02:32 AM, DPMartin wrote:

As far as "honesty", it doesn"t matter, most true followers of Jesus Christ pickup on whether some else that is a church authority is a true follower or not. It doesn"t change anything. No more than you saying you don"t believe something, and no one else changes what they believe.

What the heck do you mean when you say " true followers of Jesus Christ"?
- Do you mean people who have themselves nailed to a cross in celebration like in the Philippines?
- Do you mean people who have given away all of their worldly possessions and live by begging?
- Do you mean people who hate their immediate families and have remained estranged from them?
- Do you mean people who read the Bible and insist it doesn't say what it says because the church teaches something else?
- Is it just more meaningless religious gibberish?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 1:21:17 PM
At 9/19/2014 12:38:39 PM, Beastt wrote:

It's a common part of being human.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 1:36:42 AM
At 9/19/2014 1:21:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Apparently not, if you are a TRUE kristiun.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 2:54:40 AM

And the key to avoiding the frailties of human cognition is to understand them, accept them, and then attempt to avoid them. Religion teaches one to embrace these human frailties by pleading that we "listen with the heart", "open our hearts", and various other figurative language referring to the "heart" which suggests making emotional, rather than rational decisions.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 3:00:09 AM

Leave to sectarian extremists to continue the sectarian BS.

Excluded from dee-um's typically cheery picked quotes from his own article.

"But he added: "It is not about feelings, it is about the fact that God is faithful and the extraordinary thing about being a Christian is that God is faithful when we are not."

As has been quickly pointed out, and runs through Christian theology.

"Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and editor at large of America magazine, suggested that the archbishop"s doubts are a natural part of being in a relationship with God.

"Even the disciples doubted Jesus's power -- and that was after Jesus performed miracles in front of them," Martin told the Huffington Post. "But, ultimately, faith invites us to trust and, more importantly, to look back over our lives and see God's activity throughout."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

So, once again, thanks for the sectarian terrorism supported by cherry picking quotes from the LEAST explanative articles, and the general ignorance of Christian theology - I mean the parable of 'Doubting' Thomas ... unknown from so well versed on the Bible and Christian History?

Leave to an atheist to once again carry the football in a message that is totally missed - sure I doubt, but I know God does not!

If ONLY he had actually read that critically excluded line from his own article.

Of course the problem here is that I am ONCE AGAIN, pointing out these exclusions ... not the deiberate exclusion ... again.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 3:03:27 AM
At 9/20/2014 2:54:40 AM, Beastt wrote:

And the key to avoiding the frailties of human cognition is to understand them, accept them, and then attempt to avoid them. Religion teaches one to embrace these human frailties by pleading that we "listen with the heart", "open our hearts", and various other figurative language referring to the "heart" which suggests making emotional, rather than rational decisions.

Cognition actually facilitates doubt. Its an acknowledgement of the lack of certainty.

For example, when we have NO DUOBTS that everyone else is wrong, despite not being able to prove it, and despite not being bale to support you position, despite your attempts repeatedly being thrashed, and you still hold the same position that its the 'cognition' problem of EVERYONE else ...

That might be a cognition problem.

Please note how the same atheists are again, DELIBERATELY missing the point of what the Archbishop said.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 3:34:08 AM
At 9/20/2014 3:03:27 AM, neutral wrote:

Cognition actually facilitates doubt. Its an acknowledgement of the lack of certainty.

For example, when we have NO DUOBTS that everyone else is wrong, despite not being able to prove it, and despite not being bale to support you position, despite your attempts repeatedly being thrashed, and you still hold the same position that its the 'cognition' problem of EVERYONE else ...

Please note how the same atheists are again, DELIBERATELY missing the point of what the Archbishop said.

Cognition is the act of mentally processing data and applying reason. If we have greater access to confirming information, then cognition leads to acceptance. If we are exposed to more contradicting information, then (rational) cognition facilitates doubt.

The problem is that human cognition takes place in two primary centers of the brain; the seat of rational cognition (the prefrontal cortex), and the center of emotional cognition (the amygdala and dopamine neurons). And we have a pattern matching process which is highly prone to false positives, leading to frequent superstitions. If one is familiar with the propensity for false positives, it becomes a common practice to objectively analyze what might seem like a positive match, which exposes the error. Religion expounds that we should not exercise such caution and simply believe in faith, and appeal to our confirmation-bias.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 3:53:06 AM
At 9/20/2014 3:34:08 AM, Beastt wrote:

Cognition is the act of mentally processing data and applying reason.

Right, and when people are misquoting others, fallaciously cherry picking data, and dumping out emotional actions to poison the well ... that indicates a cognition problem.

Its especially notable when the people employing obvious cognitive failures insist on accusing everyone but themselves of having cognition problems.

Really, it would be nice for teh extremists in this section to just quite the silly propaganda and actually discuss a topic for a change.

I mean COGNITION should allow you to actually discuss the issue - the MEANING of the Archbishops statements - which don;t seem to confuse or surprise the Christians, but seem to have the extremist atheists is an uproar. Not that this takes much for emotionally driven people with cognition problems mind you.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 5:14:40 AM
At 9/20/2014 3:53:06 AM, neutral wrote:
At 9/20/2014 3:34:08 AM, Beastt wrote:

Cognition is the act of mentally processing data and applying reason.

Right, and when people are misquoting others, fallaciously cherry picking data, and dumping out emotional actions to poison the well ... that indicates a cognition problem.

Its especially notable when the people employing obvious cognitive failures insist on accusing everyone but themselves of having cognition problems.

Really, it would be nice for teh extremists in this section to just quite the silly propaganda and actually discuss a topic for a change.

I mean COGNITION should allow you to actually discuss the issue - the MEANING of the Archbishops statements - which don;t seem to confuse or surprise the Christians, but seem to have the extremist atheists is an uproar. Not that this takes much for emotionally driven people with cognition problems mind you.
Read the thread and cognitively determine, who it is in an uproar.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 7:25:57 AM
At 9/20/2014 5:14:40 AM, bulproof wrote:

MY STALKER!!!! YEAH!!!!!

That would be the atheist who starte dthe thread ... by cherry picking data and totally missing the point.

Did you acknowledge the correction? Of course not!

Are you strill stalking and being generally pointless while skipping gobs of relevant information to be a total douche? Yep.

I suppose in your case stalking isn't an 'uproar' its a permenant status. One so predictable we can assure oursleves that there will be blithe comments aimed AT posters with no bearing on the subject.

I mean you coud address doubt? You could have addressed dee-um skipping the relevant comment in a short article explaining God's faithfulness? you COULD have addressed the subsequent links providing even greater context? You COULD have addressed doubting Thomas?

Instead you, like beasty, chose to skip it all to call other people stupid.

Being both to stupid to intelligently comment and a mean spirited stalker? No worries, send your sock after me.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 8:26:03 AM
At 9/20/2014 7:25:57 AM, neutral wrote:

MY STALKER!!!! YEAH!!!!!

That would be the atheist who starte dthe thread ... by cherry picking data and totally missing the point.

Are you strill stalking and being generally pointless while skipping gobs of relevant information to be a total douche? Yep.

I suppose in your case stalking isn't an 'uproar' its a permenant status. One so predictable we can assure oursleves that there will be blithe comments aimed AT posters with no bearing on the subject.

I mean you coud address doubt? You could have addressed dee-um skipping the relevant comment in a short article explaining God's faithfulness? you COULD have addressed the subsequent links providing even greater context? You COULD have addressed doubting Thomas?

Being both to stupid to intelligently comment and a mean spirited stalker? No worries, send your sock after me.

Hmmm..... I think I just figured it out. You are actually what bulproof's alter ego would be, in direct opposition, sans education, after a lobotomy and a three-day bender.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 8:29:56 AM

Only God's chosen believers will hear the Truth spoken to them by God's last saint. Not ONE Christian has known our invisible Creator like us saints do.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 8:32:56 AM
At 9/20/2014 7:25:57 AM, neutral wrote:

MY STALKER!!!! YEAH!!!!!

There have been 21posts (including this one) and only one poster has demonstrated any level of uproar.

That one poster is you newt.

That is why I suggested you review the thread. Instead you just continued with your uproar and insults and personal attacks on posters not even involved in our "discussion" (misnomer in extremus).

Your hatred and vitriol is all you have. You don't even know the teachings of the religion you claim to follow and you have proven beyond doubt that you are as far from a chistian as the rock you live under.

And here is your REALLY BIG CHANCE.

QUOTE where I called anyone a LIAR.

Are you actually capable of thought?

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 8:35:00 AM

What? You mean he's critical about his beliefs, like everyone? To the gallows with him, my skeptic friends!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 8:38:13 AM
At 9/20/2014 8:35:00 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

What? You mean he's critical about his beliefs, like everyone? To the gallows with him, my skeptic friends!

Every religious person will die without knowing God during this age.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 9:06:16 AM
At 9/20/2014 8:35:00 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

I might expect it from the laity, but the head bishop of a region? It's like the chief surgeon of a hospital expressing doubts about the life saving aspects of surgical procedures.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 9:10:32 AM
At 9/20/2014 3:00:09 AM, neutral wrote:

Leave to sectarian extremists to continue the sectarian BS.
<snip>

Spittle, spittle, vitriol and dribble.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 9:38:57 AM
At 9/19/2014 9:00:36 AM, bulproof wrote:
Pope Benedict resigned his post as Pope, one of the reasons he stated is that he prayed for guidance from Jesus and he didn't receive any.

Pope Benedict is no longer pope because he can no longer believe that Jesus will answer his prayers.

If Jesus will not answer the Popes prayers what hope do you people have?

There's no spiritual advantage to being Pope.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 9:55:01 AM

Not really. Seems like you're reading too much into it.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 10:25:13 AM
At 9/20/2014 9:10:32 AM, dee-em wrote:

Spittle, spittle, vitriol and dribble.

EAXACTLY!

the typical atheist response to being called out on deliberately skipping relevanty information and mispresenting an entire religion!

Its not HIM ... its all the rleigious people who notice!

Spittle spttle spittle .. hate! Agh, atheism.