Jump to topic:

What would you do?

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 12:48:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Person A is a decent human being. He has done some bad things in his life, he has done good things as well. He would never do anything horrible, like rape or kill someone, and is appalled when hearing about others who have. You don't know Person A all that well, so you are not quite sure what his beliefs are.

Think of someone you know who fits this description in your mind. Continue when you have done so...

You learn that Person A is an atheist, who has even managed to convince others to give up their faith due to a perceived lack of evidence. You then learn that Person A has died in an accident.

God appears before you and presents you with the following: The decision as to what happens to Person A will be entirely up to you (heaven, hell, annihilation, etc...). It will not affect anyone else's standing in God eyes, and for taking responsibility for this decision you and your immediate family will all go to heaven forever.

What is your verdict?
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 1:10:55 PM
At 9/21/2014 12:48:40 PM, Double_R wrote:
Person A is a decent human being. He has done some bad things in his life, he has done good things as well. He would never do anything horrible, like rape or kill someone, and is appalled when hearing about others who have. You don't know Person A all that well, so you are not quite sure what his beliefs are.

Think of someone you know who fits this description in your mind. Continue when you have done so...

You learn that Person A is an atheist, who has even managed to convince others to give up their faith due to a perceived lack of evidence. You then learn that Person A has died in an accident.

God appears before you and presents you with the following: The decision as to what happens to Person A will be entirely up to you (heaven, hell, annihilation, etc...). It will not affect anyone else's standing in God eyes, and for taking responsibility for this decision you and your immediate family will all go to heaven forever.

What is your verdict?

Heaven.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 1:30:03 PM

What is your verdict?

Hell.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 1:54:22 PM
At 9/21/2014 1:10:55 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

What is your verdict?

Heaven.

So do you disagree with God?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 1:55:05 PM
At 9/21/2014 1:30:03 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

What is your verdict?

Hell.

How do you justify your decision?
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 1:58:38 PM

What is your verdict?

As a fellow sinner, equal in wickedness to the atheist, I would say heaven. However, God is not equal in sin. Compared to Him, all of us are wicked and undeserving of Heaven. This is why He is the judge, not a sinner. Who among us has the right to condemn anyone to Hell? No one! But, God does, and so, unfortunately, my atheist friend would go to Hell.

I don't like the verdict, and I know that if I were given the power, I would send him to Heaven, but that is not the way it works.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:00:05 PM
One should ask for God"s Mercy for that person according to His Judgement because He is Righteous, therefore knows what is righteous.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:02:20 PM
At 9/21/2014 1:58:38 PM, Arasa wrote:
What is your verdict?

As a fellow sinner, equal in wickedness to the atheist, I would say heaven. However, God is not equal in sin. Compared to Him, all of us are wicked and undeserving of Heaven. This is why He is the judge, not a sinner. Who among us has the right to condemn anyone to Hell? No one! But, God does, and so, unfortunately, my atheist friend would go to Hell.

I don't like the verdict, and I know that if I were given the power, I would send him to Heaven, but that is not the way it works.

So the decision is morally wrong if you make it, but morally right if God makes it. Is that correct?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:03:13 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:00:05 PM, DPMartin wrote:
One should ask for God"s Mercy for that person according to His Judgement because He is Righteous, therefore knows what is righteous.

You don't need to ask for anything. God left the decision entirely up to you.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:03:47 PM

What is your verdict?

Burn.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:05:26 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:02:20 PM, Double_R wrote:
What is your verdict?

So the decision is morally wrong if you make it, but morally right if God makes it. Is that correct?

I would say that it is morally wrong for me to condemn someone to Hell, due to my position as being equally filled with sin. It would be vastly hypocritical as well.

It is not morally wrong or hypocritical for God to condemn someone to Hell, because he has not committed sin.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:11:15 PM
At 9/21/2014 1:55:05 PM, Double_R wrote:

What is your verdict?

Hell.

In Christian theology, all human beings deserve Hell. This includes myself and the person whose fate I determine. Presumably in this scenario it's the God of the Bible who exists.
Anyway, allowing this person whose sin has not been forgiven to go to Heaven would be an injustice.

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:20:25 PM
At 9/21/2014 1:54:22 PM, Double_R wrote:

What is your verdict?

Heaven.

No.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:49:27 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:05:26 PM, Arasa wrote:
At 9/21/2014 2:02:20 PM, Double_R wrote:
What is your verdict?

I would say that it is morally wrong for me to condemn someone to Hell, due to my position as being equally filled with sin. It would be vastly hypocritical as well.

It is not morally wrong or hypocritical for God to condemn someone to Hell, because he has not committed sin.

So that's a yes. So you're argument is that what makes a decision right or wrong is not based on the merits of the decision itself, but rather who is making it. Ok.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:53:14 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:11:15 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Hell.

In Christian theology, all human beings deserve Hell. This includes myself and the person whose fate I determine. Presumably in this scenario it's the God of the Bible who exists.
Anyway, allowing this person whose sin has not been forgiven to go to Heaven would be an injustice.

Christian theology is irrelevant. The decision is yours and yours alone, therefore whether the person's "sin" has been forgiven is left entirely up to you as well. And you chose hell. Do you want to change your mind, or would you care to explain why you still go with hell?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:54:11 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:20:25 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
What is your verdict?

Heaven.

No.

Then God would have chose heaven as well?
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:10:59 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:54:11 PM, Double_R wrote:
What is your verdict?

Heaven.

No.

As far as what I've read, yes. I can't say I have certainty. Just like a Christian can't have certainty over the fate of themselves and others. I remember the forgiveness sermon by Jesus where he said to be like God "merciful and loving and forgiving." And Jesus told us to do this to our enemies.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:27:40 PM

What is your verdict?

Do you believe people (souls) sin in Heaven? if not, what stops them? And if all sinners become instant non-sinners in Heaven, do they still have free-will? Perhaps more importantly, if a sinner becomes a non-sinner once they're in Heaven, why not send everyone to Heaven?
And if people continue to sin while in Heaven, then why are you talking about God not being equal in sin? If sinners stop sinning the moment they go to Heaven, then doesn't that make them equal to God as far as sin goes?

It seems that Christianity presents such an astounding array of contradictions, that the only way to believe it is to avoid thinking about it.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:31:01 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:10:59 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
What is your verdict?

Heaven.

No.

As far as what I've read, yes. I can't say I have certainty. Just like a Christian can't have certainty over the fate of themselves and others. I remember the forgiveness sermon by Jesus where he said to be like God "merciful and loving and forgiving." And Jesus told us to do this to our enemies.
If not for the sacrifice of Jesus, where would we all go?
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:33:10 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:53:14 PM, Double_R wrote:
Hell.

Christian theology is irrelevant. The decision is yours and yours alone, therefore whether the person's "sin" has been forgiven is left entirely up to you as well. And you chose hell. Do you want to change your mind, or would you care to explain why you still go with hell?

Heaven.
If a person's sin is irrelevant, then God is not just, and nothing matters. They might as well avoid suffering.

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:41:33 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:33:10 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Hell.

Heaven.
If a person's sin is irrelevant, then God is not just, and nothing matters. They might as well avoid suffering.

So suffering somehow rights the wrongs? It's certainly not about correcting behaviors since the punishment is eternal.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:44:20 PM

What is your verdict?

Heaven. Only a fool or fascist would punish an innocent man.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:45:23 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:41:33 PM, Beastt wrote:
Hell.

Heaven.

So suffering somehow rights the wrongs? It's certainly not about correcting behaviors since the punishment is eternal.

Does restitution right wrongs? Because humans cannot "pay God back" for their crimes against Him. Punishment is, as the name suggests, punishment. It's not behavioral correction.

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:47:17 PM
Hell.

Heaven.

When I said that Christian theology is irrelevant I was speaking in the context of the situation. By God granting you what he did, the decision you are left to make is completely isolated from God rules or anyone else's fate. So this is not an "if sin is irrelevant" question. What is or is not relevant to the decision is completely up to you.

So is heaven your final answer?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:53:03 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:45:23 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 9/21/2014 3:41:33 PM, Beastt wrote:
Hell.

Heaven.

Does restitution right wrongs? Because humans cannot "pay God back" for their crimes against Him. Punishment is, as the name suggests, punishment. It's not behavioral correction.

Yes, the whole point of restitution is to try to assure that the guilty party pays for the damage they caused. But as you say, one cannot "pay God back". At the same time, God is not the victim. But the idea of punishment is behavioral correction. That's why we don't sentence people to life for petty crimes. But God does. What purpose does this serve?
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:53:25 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:47:17 PM, Double_R wrote:
Hell.

Heaven.

When I said that Christian theology is irrelevant I was speaking in the context of the situation. By God granting you what he did, the decision you are left to make is completely isolated from God rules or anyone else's fate. So this is not an "if sin is irrelevant" question. What is or is not relevant to the decision is completely up to you.

Well, all questions of inherent sinfulness cast aside, I wouldn't want to send anyone to Hell.
Heaven would be my final answer in this case.

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:21:06 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:53:25 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Hell.

Heaven.

Well, all questions of inherent sinfulness cast aside, I wouldn't want to send anyone to Hell.

So you disagree with eternal torment for this person? Is that correct? I hope that's what you're saying because I would certainly disagree with eternal torment for such a person.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:27:30 PM

What is your verdict?

Heaven.

So, I take it you asked God this question and he was like, "that dude goes to Hell fer sher. Of course, I always get to make these decisions, but I see your point. In any case, it doesn't make sense, because if someone disagreed with me, I'd send his asss right to Hell, no questions."

Amirite?
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:30:21 PM
At 9/21/2014 4:21:06 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/21/2014 3:53:25 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Hell.

Heaven.

So you disagree with eternal torment for this person? Is that correct? I hope that's what you're saying because I would certainly disagree with eternal torment for such a person.

So, here's the thing. Do you accept that there are varying interpretations of Hell, but that the Bible depicts Hell as terminal (in that it will be destroyed following the Apocalypse), as thus, not eternal?
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:40:17 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:31:01 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 9/21/2014 3:10:59 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
What is your verdict?

Heaven.

No.

If not for the sacrifice of Jesus, where would we all go?

Not sure. Probably hell or darkness.