Total Posts:99|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Noah's Ark

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:27:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I just got finished watching 2012. Though it didn't get me thinking so much about the end of the world it did remind me of the complete lunacy of the Noah's ark myth.

A ship with the dimensions mentioned in the bible---MADE OF WOOD, MIND YOU!---could not have possibly withstood the immense force of a worldwide flood.

Whoever made up and/or over-exaggerated this story clearing didn't understand the implications of what they were saying.

Also, ever notice that they completely forget to mention how exactly all these animals were being fed?

But I suppose with God everything is possible. :P
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Anarcho
Posts: 887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:38:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:28:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Bleh, 2012. Don't remind me... That movie sucked.

Thank you! Everybody I know loves that movie. And I couldn't shake the feeling that they were trying to get me to buy Russian things.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:42:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:27:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I just got finished watching 2012. Though it didn't get me thinking so much about the end of the world it did remind me of the complete lunacy of the Noah's ark myth.

A ship with the dimensions mentioned in the bible---MADE OF WOOD, MIND YOU!---could not have possibly withstood the immense force of a worldwide flood.

Whoever made up and/or over-exaggerated this story clearing didn't understand the implications of what they were saying.

Also, ever notice that they completely forget to mention how exactly all these animals were being fed?

But I suppose with God everything is possible. :P

please explain
kfc
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:42:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:38:42 PM, Anarcho wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:28:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Bleh, 2012. Don't remind me... That movie sucked.

Thank you! Everybody I know loves that movie. And I couldn't shake the feeling that they were trying to get me to buy Russian things.

Only good thing was the spectacular special effects. Other than that I was greatly relieved I got in to it for free with my friend who works at the movie theatre.
Anarcho
Posts: 887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:46:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:42:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:38:42 PM, Anarcho wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:28:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Bleh, 2012. Don't remind me... That movie sucked.

Thank you! Everybody I know loves that movie. And I couldn't shake the feeling that they were trying to get me to buy Russian things.

Only good thing was the spectacular special effects. Other than that I was greatly relieved I got in to it for free with my friend who works at the movie theatre.
Thats Roland Emmerich movies for ya, just like "The Day After Tomorrow".
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:47:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:42:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:27:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I just got finished watching 2012. Though it didn't get me thinking so much about the end of the world it did remind me of the complete lunacy of the Noah's ark myth.

A ship with the dimensions mentioned in the bible---MADE OF WOOD, MIND YOU!---could not have possibly withstood the immense force of a worldwide flood.

Whoever made up and/or over-exaggerated this story clearing didn't understand the implications of what they were saying.

Also, ever notice that they completely forget to mention how exactly all these animals were being fed?

But I suppose with God everything is possible. :P

please explain

Seriously? Ya don't need a calculator to figure it out. Imagine enough water "Breaking out from the deep" which is enough to cover the Earth to it's highest peaks. The force is unlike anything any man-kind instrument could survive.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:48:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:46:26 PM, Anarcho wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:42:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:38:42 PM, Anarcho wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:28:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Bleh, 2012. Don't remind me... That movie sucked.

Thank you! Everybody I know loves that movie. And I couldn't shake the feeling that they were trying to get me to buy Russian things.

Only good thing was the spectacular special effects. Other than that I was greatly relieved I got in to it for free with my friend who works at the movie theatre.
Thats Roland Emmerich movies for ya, just like "The Day After Tomorrow".

I kinda liked Day After Tomorrow though. It wasn't the greatest still, but it was decent.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:53:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:47:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:42:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:27:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I just got finished watching 2012. Though it didn't get me thinking so much about the end of the world it did remind me of the complete lunacy of the Noah's ark myth.

A ship with the dimensions mentioned in the bible---MADE OF WOOD, MIND YOU!---could not have possibly withstood the immense force of a worldwide flood.

Whoever made up and/or over-exaggerated this story clearing didn't understand the implications of what they were saying.

Also, ever notice that they completely forget to mention how exactly all these animals were being fed?

But I suppose with God everything is possible. :P

please explain

Seriously?
yes....
Ya don't need a calculator to figure it out.
Us Christians tend to, we apparently are not as 'smart' as you atheist. Please give me the the G force and everything, since you are clearly the expert.

Imagine enough water "Breaking out from the deep" which is enough to cover the :Earth to it's highest peaks. The force is unlike anything any man-kind instrument :could survive.

I again ask you to explain.
Something to keep in mind, it took Noah and his sons over 120 years to build this thing. It was so big and heavy. With all that wood, nails, animals, and food (if they even had food) it would be super heavy.
kfc
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:55:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Also, the water rose for 40 days. It is not like a huge wave came and smashed down on the boat. It could have gradually rose up.
kfc
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:55:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:54:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:
*facepalm*

If you are impressed for making a statement you can not defend, thats fine.
kfc
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:56:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:55:45 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:54:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:
*facepalm*

If you are embarrassed for making a statement you can not defend, thats fine.

Fixed
kfc
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 8:58:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:53:23 PM, Koopin wrote:

Something to keep in mind, it took Noah and his sons over 120 years to build this thing. It was so big and heavy.

LOL Not a good thing to mention if you're trying to show it to be possible.

People don't live that long.

BUT as Freedo said...

With God things don't actually have to make sense.. so why are you even trying?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:01:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:55:05 PM, Koopin wrote:
Also, the water rose for 40 days. It is not like a huge wave came and smashed down on the boat. It could have gradually rose up.

That would leave quite the mark on the Earth, one that no one has ever noted anywhere. Also, if it rained continuously for 40 days, at such a rate that the seas were swelled up over 2000 metres above sea level (going off of the height of Mount Judi, the supposed resting place of the Ark), the rivers that would have formed would have cut huge swaths the size of some of the largest canyons across the land, and especially in fertile and the easily-displaced soil in Judea.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:02:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 8:58:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:53:23 PM, Koopin wrote:

Something to keep in mind, it took Noah and his sons over 120 years to build this thing. It was so big and heavy.

LOL Not a good thing to mention if you're trying to show it to be possible.

People don't live that long.

BUT as Freedo said...

With God things don't actually have to make sense.. so why are you even trying?

HA HA HA HA. Have you ever read Genesis? People lived much longer than we do now. a man in there lived up to 900 years old!

No they do not have to make sense to me, I have faith in God because I trust him. But, this is a debate site, so I am trying to debate with Freedo.
kfc
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:06:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:01:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:55:05 PM, Koopin wrote:
Also, the water rose for 40 days. It is not like a huge wave came and smashed down on the boat. It could have gradually rose up.

That would leave quite the mark on the Earth, one that no one has ever noted anywhere. Also, if it rained continuously for 40 days, at such a rate that the seas were swelled up over 2000 metres above sea level (going off of the height of Mount Judi, the supposed resting place of the Ark), the rivers that would have formed would have cut huge swaths the size of some of the largest canyons across the land, and especially in fertile and the easily-displaced soil in Judea.

Yea, lots of Atheist play that card. "If I can not see it, it must not have happened.
I am not going to try to answer all of this because the truth is I was not there to see how everything worked out. But there are lots of valleys i the earth, there are lots of canyons.
kfc
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:08:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:02:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:58:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/25/2010 8:53:23 PM, Koopin wrote:

Something to keep in mind, it took Noah and his sons over 120 years to build this thing. It was so big and heavy.

LOL Not a good thing to mention if you're trying to show it to be possible.

People don't live that long.

BUT as Freedo said...

With God things don't actually have to make sense.. so why are you even trying?

HA HA HA HA. Have you ever read Genesis? People lived much longer than we do now. a man in there lived up to 900 years old!

No they do not have to make sense to me, I have faith in God because I trust him. But, this is a debate site, so I am trying to debate with Freedo.

Oh, playing devils advocate... ok.

B/c you realize that there's no good to reason claim people ever lived to 900 unless you for some reason believe in the hokus pokus God stuff... Ok. gotcha.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:11:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:06:04 PM, Koopin wrote:
Yea, lots of Atheist play that card. "If I can not see it, it must not have happened.

Well, no, that's not the card at all... the fact is, if we can't find the evidence for it, if even Christian geologists looking for it can't find the evidence for it, evidence that would have surely been left after a worldwide flood that rose up above 2000 metres above sea level, well, there is no reason to believe that it has happened.

There is evidence that a very large flood occurred a long time ago, but within human memory. That flood was the flooding of the Mediterranean basin, which were plains before then, plains that have been shown to have been populated. The likely source of the flood story is of that.

I am not going to try to answer all of this because the truth is I was not there to see how everything worked out. But there are lots of valleys i the earth, there are lots of canyons.

None that were created by flash floods which rose 2000 metres above sea level.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:13:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:11:46 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/25/2010 9:06:04 PM, Koopin wrote:
Yea, lots of Atheist play that card. "If I can not see it, it must not have happened.

Well, no, that's not the card at all... the fact is, if we can't find the evidence for it,

What makes you think Koopin's beliefs have anything to do with evidence?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:32:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:13:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
What makes you think Koopin's beliefs have anything to do with evidence?

I always hold out a ray of hope that sensibility exists even amongst hardened evangelicals.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:34:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:32:17 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/25/2010 9:13:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
What makes you think Koopin's beliefs have anything to do with evidence?

I always hold out a ray of hope that sensibility exists even amongst hardened evangelicals.

Evangelicals always try to convert me. Next time I should just come out and say that I'm muslim. xD
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:44:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:34:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/25/2010 9:32:17 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/25/2010 9:13:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
What makes you think Koopin's beliefs have anything to do with evidence?

I always hold out a ray of hope that sensibility exists even amongst hardened evangelicals.

Evangelicals always try to convert me. Next time I should just come out and say that I'm muslim. xD

Not so much Evangelicals in ny, just the jehovah's witnesses I usually just nod and go on my way.

If they really wanna talk I do, and explain why all their "arguments" so utterly fail to convince me.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:44:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:34:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Evangelicals always try to convert me. Next time I should just come out and say that I'm muslim. xD

Do you have a death wish?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 9:50:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 9:02:49 PM, Koopin wrote:

No they do not have to make sense to me, I have faith in God because I trust him. But, this is a debate site, so I am trying to debate with Freedo.

its difficult to have a real debate with someone who's ultimate source is completely unsupported trust in an ancient document if the person you're debating with doesn't share that assumption
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 10:01:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You want math Koopin?! Here it is.

Highest peak:

8, 848 Meters

Surface area of Earth:

510, 072, 000, 000 Meters

Minimal area needed for flood waters to cover in bible story:

8, 848 x 510, 072, 000, 000 = 4, 513, 117, 056, 000, 000 Meters

Increase in meters of water per day:

4, 513, 117, 056, 000, 000 divided by 40 days = 112, 827, 926, 400, 000 Meters

Increase in meters of water per hour:

112, 827, 926, 400, 000 divided by 24 = 4, 701, 163, 600, 000 Meters

Increase in Meters of water per minute:

4, 701, 163, 600, 000 divided by 60 = 78, 352, 726, 666.6667 Meters

Increase in Meters of water per second:

78, 352, 726, 666.6667 divided by 60 = 1, 305, 878, 777.77778 Meters

Meters to feet:

1, 305, 878, 777.77778 = 2, 551.76 ft.

Feet per second to Miles per hour:

2, 551.76 fps = 1, 739.8363636359 mph

The flood waters would have to be increasing by over 1, 739 mph in order to cover all the mountains within 40 days.

Which is 2.26432291666667 times the speed of sound(768 mph).

So much for your "gradual" idea.

I've already double checked my numbers but feel free to do so yourself.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 10:04:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/25/2010 10:01:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You want math Koopin?! Here it is.
**STUFF**
I've already double checked my numbers but feel free to do so yourself.

yeah but magic could do all that stuff....

oh, oops I meant God.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2010 10:27:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Now you tell me if an Arch made of wood could survive--LET ALONE KEEP EVERYTHING IN IT ALIVE!--while being repeatedly hit by unimaginably large walls of water traveling faster than most Air-force jets.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord