Jump to topic:

Taking the Bible Literally

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 12:38:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anybody here actually take the bible Literally?

And if you do, would you have the stones to carry out the following orders of God upon your wife to be If you cannot find evidence of her virginity on her wedding night?

"But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)"
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 12:40:47 PM
And for those who don't take the Bible literally, I'd appreciate some explanation of the inclusion of such horrid instructions in a "Book of God" which is to be looked to for moral guidance.

http://www.evilbible.com...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 12:42:44 PM
Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him. (1 Kings 20:35-36 NLT)

(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing." (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

nice guy, that Moses

Metaphysics:
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 1:02:41 PM
It really depends on what part of the bible you are quoteing. not to say that we can just pick and choose what to take literaly so it suites our needs but sertain writing forms are not designed to be read in such a way in the first place. Like the psalms and song of solomon are more or less a form of poetry. Visions and parables are figuretive by there very nature.
Your primary complaint seems focused on leviticus though, in witch case I have to say I think It literaly the law God gave the Isrealites 3 thousand some years ago.

I would have the stones to defend the levetical laws in there time, but before doing so I would need to know; What do you get your moral system from that condems the morality of any punishment in leviticus? Your gut? 'Its just wrong man!'?

Its one thing to argue morality as objective at any instance of time, but its quite another to argue it as objective through out time, consistantly reflecting the same values. Like Commander Riker said 'when has it ever been so simple it could be written in a book?' although I think he may have been refering justice specifically that episode but close enough.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 1:08:01 PM
At 3/29/2010 1:02:41 PM, Marauder wrote:
Its one thing to argue morality as objective at any instance of time, but its quite another to argue it as objective through out time, consistantly reflecting the same values.

GOD exists beyond time... I would think the WORD OF GOD should be equally applicable to ALL times.

Incorruptible, immutable, PERFECT.
This should be how the Words of GOD are.

Metaphysics:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 1:17:00 PM
Taking it where?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 1:20:10 PM
At 3/29/2010 1:17:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Taking it where?

??

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 1:20:55 PM
At 3/29/2010 1:17:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
hahaha

I'm so funny...

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 1:26:25 PM
I would have the stones to defend the levetical laws in there time, but before doing so I would need to know; What do you get your moral system from that condems the morality of any punishment in leviticus? Your gut? 'Its just wrong man!'?

My nature. Yes.

Human Feeling + Reason = Morality

Metaphysics:
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:21:01 PM
At 3/29/2010 1:26:25 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
GOD exists beyond time... I would think the WORD OF GOD should be equally applicable to ALL times.

Of course, and I agree Gods words are perfect. But we can practically expect the perfect words on whats right to change through out time as situations drastically change through out time. At one time its not right to rebell against ones goverment, at another it is.
If all eras had the same social cercumstances in them then they would parralell in morality. But they simply do not.

My nature. Yes.

Your human felling represents how you feel in this era. But since you have never been alive during the 1800's, you can hardly say how you would have felt back then.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
collegekitchen8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:25:06 PM

Incorrect

Morality = A series of taboos and system of right and wrongs which best benefit humanity as a whole.
: At 3/30/2010 12:57:51 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
: The universe is simple, It all makes sense given laws like gravity and stuff.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:28:04 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:25:06 PM, collegekitchen8 wrote:

Oh, have trolled this forum section yet today, guess not well hear I am. You have now been trolled.

A Scout is Obedient.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:30:19 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:21:01 PM, Marauder wrote:

Of course, and I agree Gods words are perfect.

Then carry out his commands.

Don't equivocate limits onto his words, he said them, he meant them. THEY ARE IMMUTABLE AS IS HE.
--
My nature. Yes.

Your human felling represents how you feel in this era. But since you have never been alive during the 1800's, you can hardly say how you would have felt back then.

By human feeling I mean our capacities of feeling.

These most certainly haven't changed in such a short time.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:33:34 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:31:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
Matt, can you give me examples of what you think should not be followed literally?

lol, I don't think any of the bible should be followed literally.

I think it's one big silly book.

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:35:27 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:33:34 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

That's not the answer I'm looking for. I think you know that. If one follows the Bible, then what do you think should not be followed literally? Verses about creation? What is it?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:37:34 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:35:27 PM, Mirza wrote:

That's not the answer I'm looking for. I think you know that. If one follows the Bible, then what do you think should not be followed literally? Verses about creation? What is it?

I agree that following the bible at all (including not following it Literally) is rather silly.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:38:13 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:37:34 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/29/2010 2:35:27 PM, Mirza wrote:

I don't have any particular passages, I think they're all silly to believe/follow.

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:39:07 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:37:34 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I agree that following the bible at all (including not following it Literally) is rather silly.
The better question is: Does anybody follow it with perfect understanding? I say no. I don't know of any Christian who does.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:45:14 PM
Commandments and laws are NOT metaphors, so take that bs defense elsewhere.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:48:24 PM
In Deuteronomy 28:58, God explicitly states that "you shall obey every word of the law in this book, or you will fear my name, the Lord thy God.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:48:28 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:45:14 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Commandments and laws are NOT metaphors, so take that bs defense elsewhere.

I don't think ppl used it as a defense...

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:53:41 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:48:59 PM, Mirza wrote:
It also has some random, obvious, truisms dispersed throughout it.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:57:01 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:53:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/29/2010 2:48:59 PM, Mirza wrote:
much like the quran

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 2:57:33 PM
According to you no religious book is good. So why bother attacking the Bible? Or the Qur'an? Why not the Vedas? Have you heard of them?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 3:04:45 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:57:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
According to you no religious book is good. So why bother attacking the Bible? Or the Qur'an? Why not the Vedas? Have you heard of them?

umm... The quran b/c it encourages psychopaths...

The bible... somewhat the same what with Politics in US.

The Vedas... like HINDU...Kind of a world apart from where I'm at.

Metaphysics:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 3:05:27 PM
At 3/29/2010 2:57:33 PM, Mirza wrote:

Same reason I have always attacked Western religion. It is the largest and most widespread negative influence on man physically and mentally.

Eastern religion not so much (though the Hindu caste system, pantheon, and fire sacrifice are reprehensible.) When has anybody fought a war in the name of Taoism or Jainism? Most elements of Eastern philosophy is sound.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 3:06:56 PM
At 3/29/2010 3:05:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
When has anybody fought a war in the name of Taoism or Jainism? Most elements of Eastern philosophy is sound.

There's a difference between Philosophical Taoism and Religious Taoism.

I'd argue against religious taoism.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 3:10:23 PM
At 3/29/2010 3:06:56 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/29/2010 3:05:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
When has anybody fought a war in the name of Taoism or Jainism? Most elements of Eastern philosophy is sound.

There's a difference between Philosophical Taoism and Religious Taoism.

I'd argue against religious taoism.

As would Laozi and Zhuangzi

Laozi who's a "saint" in religious daoism.

Metaphysics: