Jump to topic:

Atheists vs. Christians

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:48:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Which group do you think has more secret doubts about their own views, atheists or religious people?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:50:13 AM
Atheists. Simply by virtue of what they accept as the building block of their beliefs - science and scientific inquiry, which requires doubt and second guessing of every result and every question.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:52:29 AM
Christians, but impartial dumb ones who know nothing about their religion.

Anyway, so what? Doubt does mean your wrong.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:11:48 AM
At 4/1/2010 9:48:25 AM, Freeman wrote:
Which group do you think has more secret doubts about their own views, atheists or religious people?

I don't know honestly. If I had to take a a shot in the dark I'd say Christians just because more goes into believing but I think it probably might be even. I've heard prominent Christians talk about their doubts and faith struggles (I've had some of those too) and I've heard prominent atheists talk about worrying that they have everything wrong.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:34:00 AM

Interesting question, my atheism is founded on doubt, but I am secure with that. If some great piece of contrary evidence came along I'd embrace it. However the believers here mostly reject any form of criticism, discussion or rational thought. Any questioning, or counter-argument is not addressed but rather provokes anger, this to me suggests very much that they don't really believe at all. So in net terms on this site I would say religious people.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:35:19 AM
At 4/1/2010 10:11:48 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

I don't know honestly. If I had to take a a shot in the dark I'd say Christians just because more goes into believing but I think it probably might be even. I've heard prominent Christians talk about their doubts and faith struggles (I've had some of those too) and I've heard prominent atheists talk about worrying that they have everything wrong.

It's not a worry for me, I want to be wrong, I hope that I am wrong, I'd bloody love to be wrong. I worry that I am right!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:39:31 AM

guessing it depends more on the person than the group affiliation. i bet they would be about even if you limit your search to people who have actually thought about it in detail.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:41:58 AM
At 4/1/2010 10:11:48 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

About 2 years ago I was reading a version of the teleological argument and I thought to myself, "Good Scott... the teleological argument just might be valid!" That lasted for about 5 minutes.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 11:16:58 AM
I think this a is alot of BS. But for the sake of the argument...

"If you believe in God and the Argument from Evil doesn't keep you up at night, then you don't understand it. If you don't believe in God and the Argument from Design doesn't keep you up at night, then you don't understand it."

-- James F. Sennett
'sup DDO -- july 2013
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 11:30:07 AM
At 4/1/2010 11:16:58 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
I think this a is alot of BS. But for the sake of the argument...

"If you believe in God and the Argument from Evil doesn't keep you up at night, then you don't understand it. If you don't believe in God and the Argument from Design doesn't keep you up at night, then you don't understand it."

-- James F. Sennett

o.O

lol i always thought the teleological argument was one of the weaker ones...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 11:32:59 AM

It is. You can only convert people to Gnostism with Logic.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 11:46:07 AM
At 4/1/2010 11:32:59 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

........sometimes, Zetsubou, sometimes.........

lol
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:08:28 PM
Atheists are the ones who have the most doubt. Theists act as if they are pretty damn sure, and they have to be, because any sense of skepticism or doubt and they become an atheist. Its like the guys who claim the earth is flat. They have no doubt, because no amount of evidence would convince them otherwise.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:14:27 PM
Jews. It's always the jews.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:15:47 PM

So youre saying Gnosticism is the most logical religion? While I prefer Gnosticism over Orthodox Christianity, I wouldn't go so far as to say that.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:22:03 PM

Easy answer. Atheists, because doubt is what atheism is about. Religions hold absolute convictions.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:22:06 PM

athiest, because secretly you know there is a god, in the back of your mind it is like parnoia of being watched.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:23:34 PM
At 4/1/2010 12:22:06 PM, Marauder wrote:

athiest, because secretly you know there is a god, in the back of your mind it is like parnoia of being watched.

Win. Big Brother is watching us all... ;)
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:26:04 PM

*rolls eyes*
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:27:21 PM

Hahaha, I don't think any atheist is paranoid about a god watching them. Absurd!
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:28:20 PM
At 4/1/2010 12:27:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Hahaha, I don't think any atheist is paranoid about a god watching them. Absurd!

Yea, I think if they were they would have turned religious by now.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:34:33 PM

I remember a number of weird coincidences that happened to me at one point, and for some reason I started wondering if some kind of strange being had an influence on my life. Then I realised how weird and illogical I was being and stopped wondering. Other than that, I've never had any kind of experience Marauder describes.

I think that when non-believers to have a feeling like that, it can generally be chalked up to some kind of irrational behaviour. Like imagining design and purpose in things where there is none.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:36:48 PM
At 4/1/2010 12:34:33 PM, Kinesis wrote:

I remember a number of weird coincidences that happened to me at one point, and for some reason I started wondering if some kind of strange being had an influence on my life. Then I realised how weird and illogical I was being and stopped wondering. Other than that, I've never had any kind of experience Marauder describes.

I think that when non-believers to have a feeling like that, it can generally be chalked up to some kind of irrational behaviour. Like imagining design and purpose in things where there is none.

Yeah, but you're an Agnostic. :P
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 12:39:54 PM
At 4/1/2010 12:36:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/1/2010 12:34:33 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Yeah, but you're an Agnostic. :P

Meh, leaning towards atheism. I'd certainly consider myself atheistic towards most religions. Just less certain about theism and deism in general.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 1:10:53 PM
At 4/1/2010 12:08:28 PM, tkubok wrote:
Atheists are the ones who have the most doubt. Theists act as if they are pretty damn sure, and they have to be, because any sense of skepticism or doubt and they become an atheist. Its like the guys who claim the earth is flat. They have no doubt, because no amount of evidence would convince them otherwise.

Are you claiming that I've never really doubted my religion or otherwise I'd be an atheist? Epic fail.

That is exactly the same as theists who proclaim that atheists really believe in God they just suppressing the feeling.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 1:18:52 PM
At 4/1/2010 1:10:53 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Are you claiming that I've never really doubted my religion or otherwise I'd be an atheist? Epic fail.

If you've had doubts, then why still follow something that is deemed doubtful?

That is exactly the same as theists who proclaim that atheists really believe in God they just suppressing the feeling.

Not really, because doubt and skepticsm, if you're honest with yourself, will lead to most people away from their religion. In fact a lot of apathetic religious people probably have these doubts but still consider themselves religious because they are apathetic about it for theist part.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 5:08:51 PM
At 4/1/2010 1:18:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/1/2010 1:10:53 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

If you've had doubts, then why still follow something that is deemed doubtful?

Because I don't understand all aspects of something doesn't mean I don't regard it as most plausible.

Not really, because doubt and skepticsm, if you're honest with yourself, will lead to most people away from their religion.

So you're saying I'm not honest?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 5:20:11 PM
At 4/1/2010 11:46:07 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

........sometimes, Zetsubou, sometimes.........

lol

What cha mean?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:25:22 PM
"secret doubts"? Christians. Atheists mainly doubt in public, while Christians mainly doubt in secret, I think. The worrisome ones are those who never have a doubt.