Jump to topic:

If you had to choose...

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:42:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Would you rather have a Catholic priest or an atheist scientist babysit your child?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:52:13 PM
Just because one Catholic priest did something doesn't mean they all do it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:54:12 PM
I'd pick the Catholic priest I know back home over someone, like say, Richard Dawkins.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:58:10 PM
At 4/1/2010 9:54:12 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'd pick the Catholic priest I know back home over someone, like say, Richard Dawkins.

The question presupposes that you don't know who the priest or the atheist scientists is.

To use a rawlsian term, put yourself behind a veil of ignorance.

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 9:58:12 PM
If I had to choose and this was all I knew about the two, I'd choose the Catholic on account that there is a slightly higher chance of him not being a threat to my child.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:00:18 PM
At 4/1/2010 9:57:55 PM, badger wrote:
I'd choose my neighbour's sexy little daughter who I could have sex with after.

........lol
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:02:28 PM

Explain...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:05:04 PM
At 4/1/2010 10:02:28 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Explain...

Why? I actually know the priest back home - he's a good guy - I don't know Dawkins personally.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:06:17 PM
Of course, no one should allow anyone to babysit without a whole lot of references and checking ... but that ducks the question. I'd go with the priest. After all the scandals, the priest has probably been heavily scrutinized by the Church. The atheist scientist probably hasn't been scrutinized by anyone.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:07:31 PM
At 4/1/2010 10:06:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Of course, no one should allow anyone to babysit without a whole lot of references and checking ... but that ducks the question. I'd go with the priest. After all the scandals, the priest has probably been heavily scrutinized by the Church. The atheist scientist probably hasn't been scrutinized by anyone.

Scrutinized by the church, then left do what he wanted regardless of what they found.
signature
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:07:43 PM
At 4/1/2010 9:58:10 PM, Freeman wrote:

The question presupposes that you don't know who the priest or the atheist scientists is.

To use a rawlsian term, put yourself behind a veil of ignorance.

I'd still go with the priest if I had to absolutely choose between the two.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:20:46 PM
At 4/1/2010 10:15:55 PM, True2GaGa wrote:
At 4/1/2010 10:07:55 PM, badger wrote:
Michael Jackson or a priest?

MJ. Fo Realz.

He's dead. He probably isn't decomposing since he's made of plastic, but that'd fvck your kid up for sure.
signature
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:25:53 PM
At 4/1/2010 10:06:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

The Catholic Church could catch a priest raping three boys at once and they would just move him to another parish. And if things got too out of hand, the priest would just take refuge in the Vatican. This has happened before. In fact, there is a known child molester taking refuge in the Vatican as we speak.

True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:29:00 PM
At 4/1/2010 10:20:46 PM, badger wrote:

MJ. Fo Realz.

He's dead. He probably isn't decomposing since he's made of plastic, but that'd fvck your kid up for sure.

He's not dead. He is on an island. You silly goose!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 12:15:21 AM
At 4/1/2010 9:42:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
Would you rather have a Catholic priest or an atheist scientist babysit your child?

The latter.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 12:24:20 AM
At 4/1/2010 9:58:12 PM, wjmelements wrote:
If I had to choose and this was all I knew about the two, I'd choose the Catholic on account that there is a slightly higher chance of him not being a threat to my child.

LoL somehow I highly doubt that.

Anyway I'd pick the scientist for sure. I wouldn't want my kid being brainwashed about Catholicism or Christianity in general, and I think having a priest would obviously bring up some issues/questions whereas an atheist probably wouldn't mention God at all so I wouldn't have to worry about ideas being put into my kid's head. Note that I'm not saying the atheist should teach the kid about atheism, but rather it's an issue (religion) that just probably wouldn't come up at all which is what I want.

As a parent, I'd like to be the one who introduces them to the concept of religion. And if religion DID come up, I would obviously want my child to recognize the legitimacy and rationality in valuing science, facts and evidence over faith. This priest would probably not be an apologetic after all (and even they can be lol sometimes). Plus, Catholic priests are so sexually repressed that it just seems like a bad idea to have them around vulnerable kids of any gender in general. Also, maybe the scientist could teach them cool and educational stuff! Win.
President of DDO
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 8:40:25 AM
At 4/1/2010 10:29:00 PM, True2GaGa wrote:
At 4/1/2010 10:20:46 PM, badger wrote:

MJ. Fo Realz.

He's not dead. He is on an island. You silly goose!

He cant be on an Island, I know this cause that guy in the ally with all the romex watches in his jacket sold me a set of legos and assured me they were made out of MJ melted down plastic body, he had a certificate for and everything!
Naturally I had to take the offer, It was such a good buy and my nieces are coming to lego building age very soon.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 9:16:05 AM
At 4/1/2010 9:42:54 PM, Freeman wrote:

Depends on the person you know.
kfc
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 10:28:20 AM
At 4/2/2010 10:21:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Priest
They're not all child molesters.

No, but there is a marked increase in the likelihood that they will and a powerful global organisation happy to shield them if they are.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 10:54:01 AM
At 4/2/2010 10:28:20 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 4/2/2010 10:21:13 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Priest
They're not all child molesters.

No, but there is a marked increase in the likelihood that they will and a powerful global organisation happy to shield them if they are.

Seriously?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Procrastarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 12:41:03 PM

Source?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2010 7:51:13 AM
At 4/2/2010 12:41:03 PM, Procrastarian wrote:

Source?

To clarify you are asking me for a source to show that the rate of Paedophilia in the Roman Catholic Priesthood is higher than for the rest of the population, and that the Catholic Church shields such paedophiles.

What would you want next, a link that shows chocalate is sometimes brown?
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2010 10:39:00 PM
At 4/3/2010 7:51:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 4/2/2010 12:41:03 PM, Procrastarian wrote:

Source?

To clarify you are asking me for a source to show that the rate of Paedophilia in the Roman Catholic Priesthood is higher than for the rest of the population, and that the Catholic Church shields such paedophiles.

What would you want next, a link that shows chocalate is sometimes brown?

Were they comparing the Roman Catholic Priesthood to the rest of the population or a very specific segment of that population? If the latter, than yes, a source would not only be nice, it would be necessary.