Jump to topic:

From an Agnostic to a Christian

Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:34:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is a letter my friend's mom's boyfriend wrote this morning explaining why he want to participate in any Easter activities. My friend's family are very religious Christians and apparently the mom's boyfriend is not. ROFL!!

http://tinypic.com...
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:35:44 PM
At 4/4/2010 2:34:18 PM, Osiris wrote:
This is a letter my friend's mom's boyfriend wrote this morning explaining why he Didn't want to participate in any Easter activities. My friend's family are very religious Christians and apparently the mom's boyfriend is not. ROFL!!

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:37:00 PM
Haha. I could almost picture my sister doing something like that. Too bad my family isn't religious so she would have no reason to.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:37:14 PM
Well, that's a little rude.

I consider myself agnostic, but I don't try to, you know, make a big fuss over mere holidays; I make a fuss over the religious laws imposed on me. Hell, even I celebrate a secular version of Easter, going out to dinner with the family. Holidays are a good excuse to have fun and to have some good eatin'.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:43:47 PM
This is a letter my friend's mom's boyfriend wrote this morning explaining why he want to participate in any Easter activities

You mean doesn't want right?

In which case the obvious rebuttal is:

"Science tells us that the fats and sugars make eggs and candy delicious."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:47:01 PM
At 4/4/2010 2:43:47 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is a letter my friend's mom's boyfriend wrote this morning explaining why he want to participate in any Easter activities

You mean doesn't want right?

In which case the obvious rebuttal is:

"Science tells us that the fats and sugars make eggs and candy delicious."

Yeah, I meant doesn't. I corrected myself after.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:49:24 PM
At 4/4/2010 2:37:14 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

I consider myself agnostic, but I don't try to, you know, make a big fuss over mere holidays; I make a fuss over the religious laws imposed on me. Hell, even I celebrate a secular version of Easter, going out to dinner with the family. Holidays are a good excuse to have fun and to have some good eatin'.

Same here. We just use holidays like Easter to pig out. Not to mention there are some good sales going on during holidays. :D
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:49:35 PM
Ah.

My "Obvious rebuttal" that the fellow writing this should be informed of stands.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 2:53:35 PM
definately on the rude side (that letter). Those are the agnostics/atheists that I can't stand, they're just the same as the religous people that act the same way (they have to remind you of their religion and how they disagree with yours every chance they get). No one likes people like that.

Heck, I'm christian and I can't stand it when on a bus, some creepy lady taps me on the shoulder and asks me if I found the Lord savior Jesus and won't leave me alone. That's not about religion as it is about respect for others.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:01:00 PM

Yeah, but they weren't celebrating secular Easter. They truly believed in all the other stuff, hence why they attended mass.

Sometimes people need to hear that point of view, otherwise they'll go through the whole of their life believing passionately in that stuff without stopping to question and think about it.

Generally, if no one challenges them, they will continue to believe forever unchallenged.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
collegekitchen10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:04:05 PM
This is a letter my friend's mom's boyfriend wrote this morning explaining why he want to participate in any Easter activities. My friend's family are very religious Christians and apparently the mom's boyfriend is not. ROFL!!

Lol if he lasts 5 more days in that relationship I'll be surprised
In a PM

True2GaGa: "heeeeeeeey"

Me: "hello"

True2GaGa: "sup"

Me: Masturbating

True2GaGa: "..............."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:04:07 PM
At 4/4/2010 2:40:46 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol at self-refuting scientism.

Why is it self refuting to hold that the sciences are the key to understanding reality?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:09:46 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:04:07 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Why is it self refuting to hold that the sciences are the key to understanding reality?

Did he come to that position using science or using some other non-scientific method?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:14:57 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:09:46 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Did he come to that position using science or using some other non-scientific method?

Non-science. But he never claimed science was the only way to provide answers. You're attacking a strawman.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:17:39 PM

He, as an on-looker of science and religion, can decide which one has the key to understanding reality. The sciences probably have demonstrated and proved themselves to him to be able to understand reality, where as religion has not.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:18:50 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:14:57 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Non-science. But he never claimed science was the only way to provide answers. You're attacking a strawman.

Because saying science holds *the* answers to reality doesn't imply anything, right?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:20:21 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:17:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

He, as an on-looker of science and religion, can decide which one has the key to understanding reality. The sciences probably have demonstrated and proved themselves to him to be able to understand reality, where as religion has not.

Pop is trying to say that since he thinks science is the only way to understand reality his position is self-refuting because he used non-scientific means to get to that conclusion. But he never actually said that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:21:30 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:01:00 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Yeah, but they weren't celebrating secular Easter. They truly believed in all the other stuff, hence why they attended mass.

Sometimes people need to hear that point of view, otherwise they'll go through the whole of their life believing passionately in that stuff without stopping to question and think about it.

Generally, if no one challenges them, they will continue to believe forever unchallenged.

true, but the way one says that other point of view makes all the difference. You can't attack someone to bring them over to your point of view.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:23:45 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:18:50 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/4/2010 3:14:57 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Because saying science holds *the* answers to reality doesn't imply anything, right?

If he'd said *all of the* then you might have a case. As it is, you're just playing rather unconvincing semantics.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:30:56 PM
While I find the letter more than a little rude (quite a-holey, to be honest), I can understand the point of view. If I was stuck around people who believed in everything quite madly as these people apparently do, I'd want to speak up as well.

But, as I said, it was quite rude, and there really is no excuse for it. People can't be speakers for the cause 100% of the time unless they want to be alone in life. You have to be a little elastic sometimes. Be tolerant and respectful of other's opinions and ideals once in a while. Don't try and pick a fight with everyone and everything.

For example, while on vacation I entered this beautiful church in town, and when I went up to the altar, out of respect I crossed myself, even though I could be the farthest thing from a believer or religious. It's just about respect.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:33:40 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:23:45 PM, Kinesis wrote:

If he'd said *all of the* then you might have a case. As it is, you're just playing rather unconvincing semantics.

You're right. When Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life..." he didn't really mean that he was the ONLY way, truth and life.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:35:03 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:33:40 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

You're right. When Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life..." he didn't really mean that he was the ONLY way, truth and life.

Glad you agree. :D
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:38:14 PM

So if you say God is the route to knowledge about the universe, that automatically means you think all sciences are ruled out? No, it just means you think it's the primary route.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:38:27 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:35:03 PM, Kinesis wrote:

It's a miracle! :D

Anyways, I don't find the letter that rude at all. I find it a bit humorous, actually.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:39:14 PM
@Kinesis

I think popculturepooka is right. He did believe that only science holds the keys to understanding. That was a blatant implication by the letter.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:40:10 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:38:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/4/2010 3:35:03 PM, Kinesis wrote:

It's a miracle! :D

Anyways, I don't find the letter that rude at all. I find it a bit humorous, actually.

Yeah, this is fairly pointless bickering. :D
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:41:50 PM

I can assure you he did. "There is no salvation other than me", no ultimate truth other than me.

+ by truth I assume you mean, the truth.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 3:49:23 PM
At 4/4/2010 3:39:14 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@Kinesis

I think popculturepooka is right. He did believe that only science holds the keys to understanding. That was a blatant implication by the letter.

Okay, lets look at what he said: 'physics, chemistry etc. and other sciences hold the answers to reality'

Science is not reality, but the interpretation and organisation of knowledge about reality. At least, if we assume he's talking about reality as in the physical universe.