Jump to topic:

Peace Be Upon Us All

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2014 10:51:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to start a series of posts in a form of apologetics dealing with morality, scientific topics that cross the boundaries over religion, and philosophy in general. Now just know I'm not going to try and convert people, but offer explanations of secular things to Christians. So I'm hoping for a Christian audience since I find the secular community to have a better understanding of certain issues, but I would appreciate the empathy if you can read the posts.

We are at a time like any other in history. Conflicts and disputes! It's occurred through every age of civilization where the struggle has been minor or as major as the battles today. Rather these be small arguments or big physical battles of warfare, the idea of violence and retaliation is being likened by Christian brothers and sisters. Why? I remember my dad who wanted me to be a good Christian, always told me to fight back if somebody touched me in a bullying way. Told me to stand up for myself or I would be grounded if I came home defeated. What would Jesus have said? I remember when he said if you got slapped, which was a big insult as well as a hit to the face, then turn the other cheek so that he could hit it as well. Now don't offer, but Jesus is saying to refuse the fight. He also talks about not fighting evil with evil.

Another scenario. How would you defend yourself if the stakes were raised. A thief comes in your house and tries to steal. You got a loaded gun at him or you beat him with a bat. Do you kill him? Now raise the stakes. If he was going to murder or rape your wife, would you kill him? One more time. If a man snuck into your home and was molesting your child, would you kill him if he was right there and now? My answer to this question is to not pay evil back with evil. I would probably knock him out with a bat or give him a threat with a gun (he won't know I'm not going to pull the trigger. a threat is just enough to scare people). If you are like me from the past who would've said yes, I'd kill those attack or rob me, then you become the thief you tried to rid of. You killed a man and stolen life when that is supposed to God's judgment, not yours. Remember in Romans that we are reminded that we should not seek revenge or go for revenge, for Vengeance is his. But now Christians like Ray Comfort say killing somebody in self defense is not murder and is a separate thing. I cannot find comfort in this, since it gives Christians an excuse to kill and give up trying to learn from their mistakes.

If every nation in the world followed this philosophy, we would be at peace. Unfortunately, the real world is a darker place. Theists argue with atheists and nations argue over each other. Can we ever achieve the peace we are looking for?Well, there's a verse I read today in Romans and it simply expresses my feelings on this subject. I hope you learned a little bit from this and I can only hope that religion, race and nationality will not mean a thing as long as we are recognized as humans. Good night.

Romans 12:18

If it be possible, as much as I leith in you, live peaceably with all men.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2014 11:12:59 PM
At 9/30/2014 10:51:36 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
I want to start a series of posts in a form of apologetics dealing with morality, scientific topics that cross the boundaries over religion, and philosophy in general. Now just know I'm not going to try and convert people, but offer explanations of secular things to Christians. So I'm hoping for a Christian audience since I find the secular community to have a better understanding of certain issues, but I would appreciate the empathy if you can read the posts.

We are at a time like any other in history. Conflicts and disputes! It's occurred through every age of civilization where the struggle has been minor or as major as the battles today. Rather these be small arguments or big physical battles of warfare, the idea of violence and retaliation is being likened by Christian brothers and sisters. Why? I remember my dad who wanted me to be a good Christian, always told me to fight back if somebody touched me in a bullying way. Told me to stand up for myself or I would be grounded if I came home defeated. What would Jesus have said? I remember when he said if you got slapped, which was a big insult as well as a hit to the face, then turn the other cheek so that he could hit it as well. Now don't offer, but Jesus is saying to refuse the fight. He also talks about not fighting evil with evil.

Another scenario. How would you defend yourself if the stakes were raised. A thief comes in your house and tries to steal. You got a loaded gun at him or you beat him with a bat. Do you kill him? Now raise the stakes. If he was going to murder or rape your wife, would you kill him? One more time. If a man snuck into your home and was molesting your child, would you kill him if he was right there and now? My answer to this question is to not pay evil back with evil. I would probably knock him out with a bat or give him a threat with a gun (he won't know I'm not going to pull the trigger. a threat is just enough to scare people). If you are like me from the past who would've said yes, I'd kill those attack or rob me, then you become the thief you tried to rid of. You killed a man and stolen life when that is supposed to God's judgment, not yours. Remember in Romans that we are reminded that we should not seek revenge or go for revenge, for Vengeance is his. But now Christians like Ray Comfort say killing somebody in self defense is not murder and is a separate thing. I cannot find comfort in this, since it gives Christians an excuse to kill and give up trying to learn from their mistakes.

If every nation in the world followed this philosophy, we would be at peace. Unfortunately, the real world is a darker place. Theists argue with atheists and nations argue over each other. Can we ever achieve the peace we are looking for?Well, there's a verse I read today in Romans and it simply expresses my feelings on this subject. I hope you learned a little bit from this and I can only hope that religion, race and nationality will not mean a thing as long as we are recognized as humans. Good night.

Romans 12:18

If it be possible, as much as I leith in you, live peaceably with all men.

ALL flesh of man will perish during this age, then we'll live in peace in the next age.

Galations 5:
19: Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness,
20: idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit,
21: envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

It's a good thing that our flesh is not our true reality in the spirit of God.
NotTodayWeSay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 5:55:44 PM
The sad fact is that there will always be conflict and harmony in the world as long as people agree and disagree, opinions will rub and grind and bring about a whole range of emotional levels.
Another sad fact is that people will sink to the criminal level through either desperation or enjoyment. The only thing you can do as a civil human being is prepare to defend yourself for when the time comes that you are attacked or mugged so you know how to handle the situation. I was taught by my Sensei at Martial Arts that usually a man who comes threatening with a knife at you is most likely after money, and that throwing them a note will keep them at bay. He always says "Money isn't worth your life and the loss of a tenner just insured your safety." and he is right.
What's funny is that I attribute nothing to a God, I'm not going to put my safety in the hands of faith, for I see faith as gullibility, I won't be standing there hoping a miracle will save me, I'll save myself. I'm in control of my life, not God, and if someone wants to threaten it I will fight back, and I advise... no insist anyone to do the same because no God will send down their angels to protect any of us.
"What do we say to the Grim Reaper?" "Not Today!"