Jump to topic:

No God, just cause we dont want one

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 10:27:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Fellow christians, have you noticed that the apparent trend amoung athiest on this website is that whatever varying reasons in data that makes them disbelieve, they are all very consistant in the desire for there to no God(s).
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 10:29:50 AM
At 4/6/2010 10:27:33 AM, Marauder wrote:
Fellow christians, have you noticed that the apparent trend amoung athiest on this website is that whatever varying reasons in data that makes them disbelieve, they are all very consistant in the desire for there to no God(s).

I'd love for there to be a God, but I don't think the idea of one, at least any of the ones presented to me thus far, are consistent or logical to believe in.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 10:34:47 AM
At 4/6/2010 10:29:50 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I'd love for there to be a God, but I don't think the idea of one, at least any of the ones presented to me thus far, are consistent or logical to believe in.

really? what kind of god would you like panda?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 10:37:17 AM
At 4/6/2010 10:34:47 AM, Marauder wrote:

Lol, to be honest I really can't answer that, but something along the lines of Spinozas God.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 10:41:49 AM

I believe in a God so powerful that his greatness is not dependent upon his ability to exist in reality.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 10:53:58 AM
At 4/6/2010 10:41:49 AM, Freeman wrote:

I believe in a God so powerful that his greatness is not dependent upon his ability to exist in reality.

if he is that great his greatness would enivitable make exist in reality as that is a far greater place to be than non-reality.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 10:54:42 AM
At 4/6/2010 10:37:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Lol, to be honest I really can't answer that, but something along the lines of Spinozas God.

Your an agnostic in athiest clothing.

A Scout is Obedient.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:03:02 AM
At 4/6/2010 10:54:42 AM, Marauder wrote:

Your an agnostic in athiest clothing.

No, I don't know if God exists, but for the moment I don't think one exist.

Big diff. brah
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:08:13 AM

Good news for ya then. Spinoza's God exists. Look around you.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:11:19 AM

Actually I crave a deity like a heroin addict craves their fix, but hey anything for you lot to avoid an honest debate I guess.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:17:01 AM

I would love for there to be a God. The reason's pretty obvious: afterlife.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:18:49 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:17:01 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Not sure about the Christian God though. Seems like somewhat of a maniacal nut-case, going by the OT.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:20:32 AM

I know I'd like an omnibenevolent, all perfect, omniscient etc... god to exist...

but it's too bad there's no reason to think it exists :(
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:20:54 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:18:49 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Not sure about the Christian God though. Seems like somewhat of a maniacal nut-case, going by the OT.

Yea, I'd probably go the Gnostic/Satanist route.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:21:14 AM

Non-sequitur.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:24:01 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:21:14 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Non-sequitur.

Only partly, the belief in a God(s) is generally bound up in the belief in an afterlife. Of course in theory you can have Gods without an afterlife, or an afterlife without Gods... but there are rarer belief systems at least from a western point of view.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:27:16 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:11:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Actually I crave a deity like a heroin addict craves their fix, but hey anything for you lot to avoid an honest debate I guess.

I was simply noting a trend in attitude, I will avoid nothing.
PM me whatever paticual 'honest debate' you want to have. I'm not DACT. but try and pick something spacific. I am not good at being able to use an 8000 character limit to argue what needs said in simple debates, much less the full theological spectrum within christianity.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:28:00 AM

I would love for there to be a God......

and hence your profile says agnostic.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:30:43 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:27:16 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/6/2010 11:11:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I was simply noting a trend in attitude, I will avoid nothing.
PM me whatever paticual 'honest debate' you want to have. I'm not DACT. but try and pick something spacific. I am not good at being able to use an 8000 character limit to argue what needs said in simple debates, much less the full theological spectrum within christianity.

Feh... at any given time I have multiple positions on this board that could be used as the basis for a debate.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:30:58 AM
If wanting for an afterlifes sake, then the Mormon God is the one for you. they think in the afterlife you can become a God yourself, so if you dont like this earths god you can always overthrow him once you are a god. Thats a pretty sweet afterlife.

A Scout is Obedient.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:31:39 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:30:58 AM, Marauder wrote:
If wanting for an afterlifes sake, then the Mormon God is the one for you. they think in the afterlife you can become a God yourself, so if you dont like this earths god you can always overthrow him once you are a god. Thats a pretty sweet afterlife.

And the advantages of that vs 72 virgins is what?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:34:52 AM

I thought that you got to be a new God of a new world but only by being 100% loyal to this God and achieving a perfect state of grace.

My world would have dragons... it would be awesome.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:35:41 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:31:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I think if you were God you could still have 72 virgins.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:36:48 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:30:43 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Feh... at any given time I have multiple positions on this board that could be used as the basis for a debate.

and because there are so many, and that in most of those Dact baits you into evasive arguments I find it difficult to keep up with whatever your original position was. I dont have time to read each post in thread so I usally just cheack the last two and your positions I read end up being
'what is the point in restating my position you will only run away for a week or give more non-answers'
so even though you put a lot a positions I dont end up seeing them most of the time.

So I ask you if you desire an honest debate, what position have you posted that you want one for? Just ask and I will do my best to make sure you recieve.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:37:48 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:35:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 4/6/2010 11:31:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I think if you were God you could still have 72 virgins.

agreed

A Scout is Obedient.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:41:08 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:24:01 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Non-sequitur.

Only partly, the belief in a God(s) is generally bound up in the belief in an afterlife. Of course in theory you can have Gods without an afterlife, or an afterlife without Gods... but there are rarer belief systems at least from a western point of view.

Yeah, but if youre going to wish for something, why not wish for just an afterlife and forget about the celestial dictator ruining the fun of the afterlife?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:43:18 AM
I doubt most atheists don't want a god, they just don't see any reason to have one.

Life would be so much easier if we could just explain away everything on the part of a God, gods, or any deities. Really, we could all lead simple lives, and just pray and sacrifice for our God, knowing that He/they/it exists. That kind of confidence is just so darn empowering, you know?

But life isn't that simple. When people pray over the sick, nothing happens. When we research medicine and learn about viruses and vaccines and pharmaceuticals, God doesn't seem needed. When we can explain thunder as a process of electrical currents shifting through charged clouds, instead of a supernatural deity's anger at his creation, God seems to be less and less of a needed concept.

I mean, really, what do we need God for?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:43:26 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:41:08 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/6/2010 11:24:01 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Non-sequitur.

Yeah, but if youre going to wish for something, why not wish for just an afterlife and forget about the celestial dictator ruining the fun of the afterlife?

I can see your Panarchy beliefs affecting you religous views. your all 'no chiefs, only indians'
There has to be a chief.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:43:50 AM
At 4/6/2010 11:36:48 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/6/2010 11:30:43 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

and because there are so many, and that in most of those Dact baits you into evasive arguments I find it difficult to keep up with whatever your original position was.

What evasive arguments and how can you not keep track of a position that does not change?

I'd appreciate a response, tied in with a quote or link to substantiate your acusation, otherwise I'll just assume that you are another faux-christian who can't speak the truth.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 11:46:43 AM
Nah, I was against celestial dictators before I turned Panarchist.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat