Jump to topic:

How do we fix this forum?

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 10:46:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This forum is dying. Look at all the trolls. Look at all the people here that just want to preach.

If anyone has an idea of how to fix it, I am all ears.

My only idea is to never respond to people that do troll/do not contribute, and then they might leave or start contributing.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 10:51:28 AM
At 10/1/2014 10:46:35 AM, SNP1 wrote:
This forum is dying. Look at all the trolls. Look at all the people here that just want to preach.

My only idea is to never respond to people that do troll/do not contribute, and then they might leave or start contributing.

Kick bulproof off.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 11:02:57 AM
At 10/1/2014 10:51:28 AM, neutral wrote:

Kick bulproof off.

Hahahaha. Tell mummy.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 11:18:15 AM

I suggest we stop feeding the trolls. As soon as you notice somebody is a troll or an arse hole, simply stop reading their posts altogether, and don't respond to them.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 11:28:46 AM
At 10/1/2014 11:18:15 AM, philochristos wrote:

I suggest we stop feeding the trolls. As soon as you notice somebody is a troll or an arse hole, simply stop reading their posts altogether, and don't respond to them.

So, an ignore feature would be helpful .... like they have on other forums?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 11:43:24 AM
At 10/1/2014 11:28:46 AM, neutral wrote:

What does the ignore feature do on other forums? I was suggesting just ignoring them by not reading their posts and not responding to them. Some trolls may be happy to go on monologuing to their hearts content, but surely some would eventually run out of steam if they had no interaction.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 11:45:29 AM

How many times do you need to be told by how many posters that if the forum had an ignore button as you so pathetically whine for, the absolute identical result would be if you just left.
Nobody would engage you.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 11:57:56 AM
At 10/1/2014 11:43:24 AM, philochristos wrote:

What does the ignore feature do on other forums? I was suggesting just ignoring them by not reading their posts and not responding to them. Some trolls may be happy to go on monologuing to their hearts content, but surely some would eventually run out of steam if they had no interaction.

If you place someone on ignore it prevents you from reading what they write. You can then literally ignore them. It doesn't prevent a determined troll from disrupting anyway, but its a tool that does not require absoutely perfect patience of the audience in the face of sustained trolling.

Its no substitute for moderation, but its does allow the 'personalities' to sort themselves out short of moderator intervention.

A determined troll will keep going no matter what - bulproof proves that.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 11:59:00 AM
At 10/1/2014 11:45:29 AM, bulproof wrote:

How many times do you need to be told by how many posters that if the forum had an ignore button as you so pathetically whine for, the absolute identical result would be if you just left.
Nobody would engage you.

As you can see troll boy, I do just fine without your stalking and abuse. If I left no one would notice, probably true. If you left? People would cheer.
Skikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 12:20:43 PM

Not feeding the trolls is , of course, necessary. The problem is that they feed each other. So they won't starve anytime soon.
All one can do is to not be scared off by them and to create actually intellectual threads and hope that somebody will be interested in discussing those.

Right now, the forum is like a ghost town, only inhabited by outlaws and lepers. And to change it back into a lively village, people have to start moving back in first.
Thus I think the best way to fix it is to act as if it was not broken. Just engage in intellectual dialog with those who are interested in such and maybe it will solve the problem.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:04:44 PM
At 10/1/2014 12:20:43 PM, Skikx wrote:

Not feeding the trolls is , of course, necessary. The problem is that they feed each other. So they won't starve anytime soon.
All one can do is to not be scared off by them and to create actually intellectual threads and hope that somebody will be interested in discussing those.

Right now, the forum is like a ghost town, only inhabited by outlaws and lepers. And to change it back into a lively village, people have to start moving back in first.
Thus I think the best way to fix it is to act as if it was not broken. Just engage in intellectual dialog with those who are interested in such and maybe it will solve the problem.

There must indeed be intelligent people capble of having dialoge and discussion.

I disagree that a forum is solely the result of good people making interetsing dialoge. There is a system of rules inb place specifically to KEEP that discussion going in a positive direction. Whne those rules are violated - it creates ... negative effects on the conseuqnces.

There must be moderation and acceptance of standards - for example: Do atheists like being tarred by Stalin? Do theists like having the Crusades shoved inour faces? And is that necessary when you are discussing .... Evolution and its effects on religion? Of course not.

There is however no consequence to be behaving in ... unintelligent ways. And when people can jump in (which is good) and act like total bat crap crazy idiots? Its one thing to see it ... its another to see it with zero conseuqnces over a period of months.

There simply has to be conseuqnces to misbehavior. Without it? Best to just close the forum.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:09:43 PM
At 10/1/2014 1:04:44 PM, neutral wrote:
There must indeed be intelligent people capble of having dialoge and discussion.
That rules you out, numbnuts.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:25:00 PM

Try going away, that might help. If you ignore this forum, it won't bother you.
God loves you. I'm sorry if this fact bothers you. Too bad for you if it bothers you that God loves you.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:26:38 PM

This forum is not alive. You are dying. The forum is inanimate. You might want to go see a doctor if you think the forum is alive. I'm sure he can give you something to calm your nerves.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:27:38 PM

you are just jealous because the thread you made in a feeble attempt to imitate me fell flat while my threads are still going strong
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:31:01 PM

Kick bulproof off.

Leave bulproof alone. He does not use vulgarities. Get rid of the people who use vulgarities, profanity.......direct and far too often overlooked violations of DDO's code of conduct or terms of service or whatever they call their rules......and using the word Hell as a proper noun, the name of a specific place, is proper English and not profane. People who use "hell" or God's name as profanities should be banned, that would help a lot.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:32:09 PM

Yes, all of the atheist should stop responding against God, that would fix the forum.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:33:31 PM

I'm sorry, could you repeat this? maybe you can start a new thread on this topic somewhere else and be more clear about what you are trying to say.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:35:40 PM
At 10/1/2014 12:20:43 PM, Skikx wrote:

Yes, put your tinking cap on
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:38:26 PM
At 10/1/2014 1:33:31 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

I'm sorry, could you repeat this?

Sure.

LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 1:52:29 PM
At 10/1/2014 1:38:26 PM, philochristos wrote:

Sure.

That's too long. do you think I'm going to read all that? Can you edit it down to one or two sentences interesting enough to keep my attention?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 2:02:00 PM
At 10/1/2014 1:52:29 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/1/2014 1:38:26 PM, philochristos wrote:

Sure.

That's too long. do you think I'm going to read all that? Can you edit it down to one or two sentences interesting enough to keep my attention?

No, I'm okay if you don't read it.

neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 2:26:56 PM
At 10/1/2014 1:31:01 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

Kick bulproof off.

Leave bulproof alone. He does not use vulgarities. Get rid of the people who use vulgarities, profanity.......direct and far too often overlooked violations of DDO's code of conduct or terms of service or whatever they call their rules......and using the word Hell as a proper noun, the name of a specific place, is proper English and not profane. People who use "hell" or God's name as profanities should be banned, that would help a lot.

Yes, he does.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 2:44:17 PM

You can't.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 2:46:23 PM

Intellectual honesty. If a Christian sees another Christian claiming that plants can grow in temperatures colder than 400 degrees below zero, don't applaud them. Don't support them. Explain to them that their stupidity helps to make all of Christianity look stupid.

When someone presents conclusive evidence showing that you're wrong, then admit that you're wrong. Continuing to pretend you were right only continues to destroy your credibility.

Of course this works both ways. If you see an atheist saying that some guy wrote the Bible, correct him and explain who assembled the Bible, how they did it, and what they had to work with.

If people used honesty instead of "team pride", the forum would be more productive. But there simply isn't any way for theists to present strong arguments using intellectual honesty. So I'm afraid there's little hope of fixing anything here.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 3:02:38 PM
At 10/1/2014 2:46:23 PM, Beastt wrote:

Intellectual honesty. If a Christian sees another Christian claiming that plants can grow in temperatures colder than 400 degrees below zero, don't applaud them. Don't support them. Explain to them that their stupidity helps to make all of Christianity look stupid.

When someone presents conclusive evidence showing that you're wrong, then admit that you're wrong. Continuing to pretend you were right only continues to destroy your credibility.

Of course this works both ways. If you see an atheist saying that some guy wrote the Bible, correct him and explain who assembled the Bible, how they did it, and what they had to work with.

If people used honesty instead of "team pride", the forum would be more productive. But there simply isn't any way for theists to present strong arguments using intellectual honesty. So I'm afraid there's little hope of fixing anything here.

Give lecture on the evils of "team pride".

Is shamelessly partisan.

Lok ok bro.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 3:21:14 PM
At 10/1/2014 2:26:56 PM, neutral wrote:

Kick bulproof off.

Yes, he does.

I'll take your word for it, but I haven't noticed.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 3:22:30 PM
At 10/1/2014 2:26:56 PM, neutral wrote:

Kick bulproof off.

Yes, he does.

I don't pay much attention to him or anybody else who makes no sense
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 3:41:08 PM
At 10/1/2014 2:46:23 PM, Beastt wrote:

Jesus will fix everything forever soon. There is no hope without Him.....except for hope in death which is hopeless