Jump to topic:

What is atheism? I'm being serious...

jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 4:39:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Alright, you guys have got me. What exactly is atheism? Is this a religion? I'm not ignorant to the definition. I've just been reading over some of these discussions and it's about as clear as mud at this point. I thought I knew. I just want to understand. No childish comments please. I'm asking a serious question.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 6:41:09 AM
I thınk, atheism is not accept any religional teachings, as a result, the idea of god.
They are pozitivists and as a result, they believe definitely experiment-observation as a first principle.

But according to me,it is wrong, because today, science may say wrong what was true yesterday.

And in addition, according to me, nobody knows everything, human has not only five senses, but also uses his intuations.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 6:46:38 AM
At 10/2/2014 4:39:06 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, you guys have got me. What exactly is atheism? Is this a religion? I'm not ignorant to the definition. I've just been reading over some of these discussions and it's about as clear as mud at this point. I thought I knew. I just want to understand. No childish comments please. I'm asking a serious question.

Atheism is a disbelief in gods.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 7:08:48 AM

The definition seems straightforward, what are you having trouble with? It's not a religion.
Springheeledjack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 8:33:46 AM
Atheism is not believing in the existence of god/gods.

Of course, atheists will commit logical fallacies by going into definitional retreat on what is meant by atheism, like defining it as meaning "lacking belief in god" and claiming they hold no belief.

Like all faith-based positions they have to.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 8:39:05 AM
At 10/2/2014 8:33:46 AM, Springheeledjack wrote:

Of course, atheists will commit logical fallacies by going into definitional retreat on what is meant by atheism, like defining it as meaning "lacking belief in god" and claiming they hold no belief.

WOW.
Look just up ahead, it's your arse.
Do you get dizzy?
Have you been here? http://www.debate.org...
Natec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:04:44 AM

The rejection of theistic claims.
Dude... stop...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:12:36 AM

Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god. There is also strong and weak atheism. Strong atheism is the position of certainty that there are no gods. Weak atheism is the position of uncertainty about if a god exists, but does not believe there are gods (for whatever reason).
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:15:23 AM

Correct.

You do realize that lacking a belief means that you do not believe, correct? Lacking belief is synonymous with no believing. Also, having no belief is the same as not believing, it is also synonymous.

How is atheism a faith-based position?
#WarOnDDO
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:25:35 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:04:44 AM, Natec wrote:

YEP
Theism is a man made claim.
Atheism is the rejection of such a claim.

They don't get it at all.

They think that theism is a claim made by god. Of course there are many gods who would need to make that claim and yet all believers in god "A" deny that believers in all the other gods are not believing in a claim made by another god.

So what is it folks?
Is the claim that gods exist, a claim made by gods?
Or is the claim that gods exist a claim made by man?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:29:52 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:25:35 AM, bulproof wrote:

YEP

They think that theism is a claim made by god.

That makes no sense. No one thinks that "theism" is a claim made by god. Theism, by definiton, is belief in the existence of God(s). In this case it's pertaining to belief by humans in the existenc eof God(s). It's not a claim purportedly MADE by God9s).

Of course there are many gods who would need to make that claim and yet all believers in god "A" deny that believers in all the other gods are not believing in a claim made by another god.

So what is it folks?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:37:12 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:29:52 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

YEP

That makes no sense. No one thinks that "theism" is a claim made by god. Theism, by definiton, is belief in the existence of God(s). In this case it's pertaining to belief by humans in the existenc eof God(s). It's not a claim purportedly MADE by God9s).

Of course there are many gods who would need to make that claim and yet all believers in god "A" deny that believers in all the other gods are not believing in a claim made by another god.

So what is it folks?

I notice that you avoid the rest.

If theism, the belief in gods, is a claim made by men what credibility does it have?
Who are the trustworthy men who make this claim and what makes their claim credible?
Springheeledjack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:38:18 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:15:23 AM, SNP1 wrote:

"The atheist must know God does not exist. Atheists have to know much more of the universe than I do."

--Carl Sagan
Natec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:39:41 AM

YEP

So what is it folks?

I was about to say the same thing.
Dude... stop...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:43:12 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:38:18 AM, Springheeledjack wrote:

"The atheist must know God does not exist. Atheists have to know much more of the universe than I do."

--Carl Sagan

If you actually listen to what Carl Sagan says, he was talking about Strong Atheism (which is what the common view of what atheism is, but not the common form of atheism).

Carl Sagan, by definition, was a weak atheist. He did not believe in god(s), but he never claimed that they did not exist. This is the same position of the majority of atheists today.

But how is ATHEISM, not strong atheism, atheism a faith-based position?
#WarOnDDO
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:46:11 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:39:41 AM, Natec wrote:

YEP

So what is it folks?

I was about to say the same thing.

Be very careful dude.
I am the most hated troll on this forum.
You will be tarred with the same brush.
But thanks, anyway.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:46:36 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:37:12 AM, bulproof wrote:

YEP

So what is it folks?

Because it wasn't important.

If theism, the belief in gods, is a claim made by men what credibility does it have?
Who are the trustworthy men who make this claim and what makes their claim credible?

Evidence.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:48:03 AM

Atheist means "without God". Atheists do not believe Gods exist, for whatever reason. As an atheists, I take the God issue scientificaly and thus I don't believe in God because there's no empirical evidence of Gods' existence. Other atheists have other reasons for not believing in Gods, but all atheists agree that Gods do not exist.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:51:13 AM

YEP

So what is it folks?

I don't agree. God's existence is a claim atributed to God himself. If it were to be atributed to men (like Santa Claus), no one would believe it.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:57:38 AM
I would regard myself as a strong atheist, as I would make the positive claim that no God exists. Theists are by definition people who accept theistic claims, atheists are by definition everyone else.

You have many subsets of atheists:

Agnostic Atheists: Doesn't make the positive claim God does not exist, and just disbelieves theistic claims
Gnostic Atheists: Or so called 'strong atheists', ones who will make the positive claim God does not exist, and will claim to know such
Ignostic Atheists: People who don't think God is a well-defined concept, and hence belief/talking of such is nonsensical and a waste of time.

Among others.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 9:57:56 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:43:12 AM, SNP1 wrote:

--Carl Sagan

If you actually listen to what Carl Sagan says, he was talking about Strong Atheism (which is what the common view of what atheism is, but not the common form of atheism).

Carl Sagan, by definition, was a weak atheist. He did not believe in god(s), but he never claimed that they did not exist. This is the same position of the majority of atheists today.

It's OK!!
Because they get all of their information from dead "prophets" they can't understand how anybody else could possibly not have prophets that control a persons thinking.

The extremists on here are always quoting Hitchens, Dawkins and now Sagan et al as if the atheist must accept what they say just like the christian accepts what some long dead goatherd claimed to be truth.

They don't understand that the only thing atheists have in common is a disbelief in gods.

It is such a complicated concept, to christians, that it is beyond their comprehension.
If they NEED prophets then everybody MUST need prophets.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 10:15:12 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:51:13 AM, Otokage wrote:

YEP

So what is it folks?

I don't agree. God's existence is a claim atributed to God himself. If it were to be atributed to men (like Santa Claus), no one would believe it.

You disagree with the definition of theism? Ok....

You are confusing multiple issues.

1. Theism is the belief in Gods' existence.
2. The question of if the belief is justified or not (i.e. maybe one way the beleif is justified is because God revealed his existence to us) is an entirely independent issue.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 10:27:34 AM
At 10/2/2014 10:15:12 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/2/2014 9:51:13 AM, Otokage wrote:

YEP

So what is it folks?

You disagree with the definition of theism? Ok....

You are confusing multiple issues.

1. Theism is the belief in Gods' existence.
Theism is the CLAIM that gods exist.
2. The question of if the belief is justified or not (i.e. maybe one way the beleif is justified is because God revealed his existence to us) is an entirely independent issue.
To reject a CLAIM that has no evidence, is the natural position for a human being with the capacity for independent thought.

The ISSUE is incredibly simple.
Cavemen created gods that you no longer believe in.
Cavemen created gods that you do, in fact, believe in.
They're just different gods, still created by cavemen.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 10:37:30 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:46:36 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/2/2014 9:37:12 AM, bulproof wrote:

YEP

So what is it folks?

Because it wasn't important.

Evidence.
If a claim is made that gods exist, who would make such a claim?
Gods or man.
There is no evidence that gods exist, hence no evidence that gods claimed the existence of gods.
Men have claimed for as long as men have made claims, that gods exist.
Do men claim that gods exist?
Please answer truthfully.
Do gods claim that gods exist?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:22:56 AM
At 10/2/2014 9:57:56 AM, bulproof wrote:

--Carl Sagan

It's OK!!
Because they get all of their information from dead "prophets" they can't understand how anybody else could possibly not have prophets that control a persons thinking.

The extremists on here are always quoting Hitchens, Dawkins and now Sagan et al as if the atheist must accept what they say just like the christian accepts what some long dead goatherd claimed to be truth.

They don't understand that the only thing atheists have in common is a disbelief in gods.

It is such a complicated concept, to christians, that it is beyond their comprehension.

Bulproof, you don't really help much. How about making intelligent contributions?
#WarOnDDO
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:29:02 AM
At 10/2/2014 11:22:56 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 10/2/2014 9:57:56 AM, bulproof wrote:

--Carl Sagan

It's OK!!

Bulproof, you don't really help much. How about making intelligent contributions?
So tell me oh enlightened one.
What do I as an atheist believe?
Simple question for one as conceited as you, tell me.

You see I won't let the ignorant masses tell me what I know or believe, if your happy for them to do that then p*ssy up.

My contributions are so far above the intellect of 99.99999999% of the poor deluded theists on here that they need someone like you to come to their rescue.
It's perfectly OK sweety I can swim better than you can.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:32:11 AM
At 10/2/2014 11:29:02 AM, bulproof wrote:

I do not know why you specifically take the position of atheism, but quite simply, you are a troll on this forum. I used to think it was funny (when there were not many trolls and delusional idiots), but now it is just annoying.

You see I won't let the ignorant masses tell me what I know or believe, if your happy for them to do that then p*ssy up.

I do not agree with putting words into people's mouths, but that does not mean that you should troll people.

My contributions are so far above the intellect of 99.99999999% of the poor deluded theists on here that they need someone like you to come to their rescue.

I am telling you to stfu only because you have become a problem. I want there to be intellectual discussion on this forum. YOU DO NOT PROVIDE THAT!
#WarOnDDO
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:42:49 AM
Men have claimed for as long as men have made claims, that gods exist.
Do men claim that gods exist?
Do gods claim that gods exist?
Please answer...

Well, I guess this is really only half of my curiosity here. You speak the truth when you say man has always claimed that a god or gods exist. On the flip side man has always claimed that gods don't exist. So who is right? Can it be proven without a shadow of a doubt that theists ate correct or that atheists are correct?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:44:32 AM
At 10/2/2014 11:32:11 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 10/2/2014 11:29:02 AM, bulproof wrote:

I do not know why you specifically take the position of atheism, but quite simply, you are a troll on this forum. I used to think it was funny (when there were not many trolls and delusional idiots), but now it is just annoying.

I do not agree with putting words into people's mouths, but that does not mean that you should troll people.

I am telling you to stfu only because you have become a problem. I want there to be intellectual discussion on this forum. YOU DO NOT PROVIDE THAT!

You don't want an intelluctual discussion.
You like the godbotherers want the godbotherers claims to be given credibility and respect.
Well I'm sorry, but all they are are fantasies created by long dead cavemen in an attempt to explain what they found unexplainable.
Volcano=Volcano god who needs appeasement by human sacrifice.
Christian/Jewish god = God who needs to rescind his punishment of all humanity through human sacrifice.

It's fuking crap and anyone who believes it is seriously deluded.
Or do you want to have an intelligent conversation with a worshiper of Vulcan?

You are aware that yahweh sits on a throne just above the DOME that covers the earth and that NASA hasn't found either him or the fukin' dome.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:53:35 AM
At 10/2/2014 11:44:32 AM, bulproof wrote:
You don't want an intelluctual discussion.

Really now? And why do you think that?

You like the godbotherers want the godbotherers claims to be given credibility and respect.

I think that the ones that try and engage in discussion should be given respect and enter into a discussion with them.

I do not think that theism is even close to credible, but that does not mean I do not want to discuss the question of "is there a god?"

Well I'm sorry, but all they are are fantasies created by long dead cavemen in an attempt to explain what they found unexplainable.

I also take that position, but that does not mean that there cannot be discussion. Why not troll the history forum, because it was all made by long dead people.

Volcano=Volcano god who needs appeasement by human sacrifice.
Christian/Jewish god = God who needs to rescind his punishment of all humanity through human sacrifice.

It's fuking crap and anyone who believes it is seriously deluded.

I am an atheist, and I do not believe that they are real either. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY DISRESPECT PEOPLE.

Look at philosophy. There are MANY different philisophical ideas that contradict. I think that the A-theory of time is crap. That does not mean there cannot be an intellectual discussion about it.

Or do you want to have an intelligent conversation with a worshiper of Vulcan?

If they can have one, then why not?

You are aware that yahweh sits on a throne just above the DOME that covers the earth and that NASA hasn't found either him or the fukin' dome.

You are aware that you can simply ignore theists, right? But you decide to simply jump to disrespecting them. Beastt might be deciding to agree with you, but I, personally, am sick of all the trolling on this forum. You do not help anyone here. You do not make this a better place for discussion.
#WarOnDDO