Total Posts:331|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Does anyone believe in Noah's Ark still?

Natec
Posts: 84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?
Dude... stop...
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 10:27:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Well, given our concept of reality, omnipotence of the TresOmines would qualify as exactly that. Bushes that don't burn, rains of frogs and locusts, fire and brimstone pouring down from the heavens, definately some David Copperfield stuff going on there.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 10:47:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 10:27:44 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Well, given our concept of reality, omnipotence of the TresOmines would qualify as exactly that. Bushes that don't burn, rains of frogs and locusts, fire and brimstone pouring down from the heavens, definately some David Copperfield stuff going on there.

More like some Dr. Seuss stuff going on here. That's what's so ridiculous about a God who provides nothing more than the writings of men. People can claim anything in writing. Dr. Seuss can "create" a Grinch who steals Christmas, and the authors selected for the canon can claim a man built an impossible vessel and rescued all of the species of Earth. Frankly, the Dr. Seuss story is multitudes more believable.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:40:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 10:47:48 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/2/2014 10:27:44 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Well, given our concept of reality, omnipotence of the TresOmines would qualify as exactly that. Bushes that don't burn, rains of frogs and locusts, fire and brimstone pouring down from the heavens, definately some David Copperfield stuff going on there.

More like some Dr. Seuss stuff going on here. That's what's so ridiculous about a God who provides nothing more than the writings of men. People can claim anything in writing. Dr. Seuss can "create" a Grinch who steals Christmas, and the authors selected for the canon can claim a man built an impossible vessel and rescued all of the species of Earth. Frankly, the Dr. Seuss story is multitudes more believable.

Assuming you are wanting to follow that particular work, yes. My particular skew on it would not be that the man in the clouds would be all benevolent. For this particular creation we are in, it would appear to be more of a petri dish culture turned rats in a maze expiriment. Or a duck blind. We get various stimuli which defy our conventions, said stimuli is given time to work its way through the colony, and data is recorded. New stimuli is planned based on the subject's adaptivity. As time progresses further, the various colonies in the expiriment are introduced to eachother, or at least their introduction was planned on. Record the results.

Then either laugh, or learn something for a future colony/creation.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 11:53:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 11:40:12 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 10/2/2014 10:47:48 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/2/2014 10:27:44 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Well, given our concept of reality, omnipotence of the TresOmines would qualify as exactly that. Bushes that don't burn, rains of frogs and locusts, fire and brimstone pouring down from the heavens, definately some David Copperfield stuff going on there.

More like some Dr. Seuss stuff going on here. That's what's so ridiculous about a God who provides nothing more than the writings of men. People can claim anything in writing. Dr. Seuss can "create" a Grinch who steals Christmas, and the authors selected for the canon can claim a man built an impossible vessel and rescued all of the species of Earth. Frankly, the Dr. Seuss story is multitudes more believable.



Assuming you are wanting to follow that particular work, yes. My particular skew on it would not be that the man in the clouds would be all benevolent. For this particular creation we are in, it would appear to be more of a petri dish culture turned rats in a maze expiriment. Or a duck blind. We get various stimuli which defy our conventions, said stimuli is given time to work its way through the colony, and data is recorded. New stimuli is planned based on the subject's adaptivity. As time progresses further, the various colonies in the expiriment are introduced to eachother, or at least their introduction was planned on. Record the results.

Then either laugh, or learn something for a future colony/creation.

May I ask what leads you to this belief?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 12:02:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

The specific details on the Ark's construction which Noah needed to know could've been given to him by God. And it's quite possible that he hired many workers.
But, even if the whole thing was miraculous, that doesn't "disprove" it in any way, because just God speaking to a specific person inside of this Universe from outside it is miraculous. So with an event inspired by a miraculous incident why not strongly consider that much of the rest of it had supernatural overtones?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 12:37:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 11:53:17 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/2/2014 11:40:12 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 10/2/2014 10:47:48 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/2/2014 10:27:44 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Well, given our concept of reality, omnipotence of the TresOmines would qualify as exactly that. Bushes that don't burn, rains of frogs and locusts, fire and brimstone pouring down from the heavens, definately some David Copperfield stuff going on there.

More like some Dr. Seuss stuff going on here. That's what's so ridiculous about a God who provides nothing more than the writings of men. People can claim anything in writing. Dr. Seuss can "create" a Grinch who steals Christmas, and the authors selected for the canon can claim a man built an impossible vessel and rescued all of the species of Earth. Frankly, the Dr. Seuss story is multitudes more believable.



Assuming you are wanting to follow that particular work, yes. My particular skew on it would not be that the man in the clouds would be all benevolent. For this particular creation we are in, it would appear to be more of a petri dish culture turned rats in a maze expiriment. Or a duck blind. We get various stimuli which defy our conventions, said stimuli is given time to work its way through the colony, and data is recorded. New stimuli is planned based on the subject's adaptivity. As time progresses further, the various colonies in the expiriment are introduced to eachother, or at least their introduction was planned on. Record the results.

Then either laugh, or learn something for a future colony/creation.

May I ask what leads you to this belief?

Sure. However I think we would both be dissatisfied with the answer. ;)

In the beginning there was nothing. At least, as we currently understand it. Then, there was something, at least as we now look at it. The events to gather the components into planets occured over the course of a few billion years, and 'lo, we got the sludge that birthed life. That part right there raises a red flag. From there, things take a branching off to make all the specie we see. 8.7 millionish specie, not including extinct, either by man's interferrence or natural selection. How many billion years has the earth supported life for? There just seems to be a rather large disconnect there.

Anyhoo, my humble suggestion is that a creator had some variety of plan in which to understand himself, as such, set to work a some what guided system. Variables were introduced here, there, points near and far (across the cosmos) working under this basic blue print of biological life, and then helping out specie along the way to get to what would ultimately be a rational creature. Yeah, there is a LOT of time since the dawn of... well, time, but there was also a lot of life, and for all of it to trend to now as opposed to equal results (if not greater results) of failure seems more than coincidence. Each newly developed specie since the replicator (or whatever you would like to call that strand of amino acids that some how developed into us) was just as likely to wipe out life as it occured as it would have been to promote it further. The sheer amount of Chaos that was inherent to such a system some how developed into what is ordered now... at random? Thats would leads me to ... someTHING. Not specifically the God of the TresOmnies, or Allah, etc, but (again, to me) this strangely resembles something on rails.

-shrug- As always, it sounds silly when I say it out loud, but have you ever had that sense that something is off? Walk into a room to get your keys, pause for a moment and reflect that the scene is not exactly as it should be, and you aren't sure why? That nagging sensation is what I get when I look at -flails at the world in general- this.

Meh. Gut feelings make for poor arguments, which is why I have no real conviction to say I am definately right, just trying to put into words my personal observance of the world around me, and how (or why) it might have developed.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 12:42:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 12:02:49 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

The specific details on the Ark's construction which Noah needed to know could've been given to him by God. And it's quite possible that he hired many workers.
But, even if the whole thing was miraculous, that doesn't "disprove" it in any way, because just God speaking to a specific person inside of this Universe from outside it is miraculous. So with an event inspired by a miraculous incident why not strongly consider that much of the rest of it had supernatural overtones?

The vessel itself isn't possible. The U.S. military assigned some of it's most advanced ship builders to the task of attempting to build a wooden ship, a bit over 300-feet. They were allowed to use iron braces but the pressures against a wooden hull are simply to massive to prevent the long hull planks from bending and allowing water to flow between them. And no, tree sap isn't going to stop that kind of leak. So despite the fact that the military used iron bracing, their vessel was 200-feet shorter, and they had mechanical pumps to purge the water, the project was considered a complete failure.

Of course this is just one of the many insurmountable problems with the Noah's Ark story. And attempting to dismiss these problems by saying that God simply miracle'd the problems away makes little sense in light of the fact that the entire story rests on the concept of purely natural processes. God didn't zap the ark into existence. He enlisted a man to labor intensively to build it. God didn't poof the water into covering the Earth. The flood came about via rains and geysers. God didn't just miracle the evil away. Instead he drowned everything, women, children, infants, animals... everything except fish and marine mammals. Of course large marine mammals wouldn't have survived such a flood with the drastic climate change, millions of tons of sediments, the mixing of fresh and salt water, the destruction of their natural foods, etc. And Noah didn't have any whales, sharks, tuna, marlins, whale-sharks, etc., on the ark. So were the story true, we shouldn't have those animals now. And of course, the Bible doesn't claim that God waved his magic wand and caused the water to vanish, it claims the water "ran off" and "dried up". Of course Earth's hydrological cycle is isolated so there would be no way for the water to "run off" and "drying up" just means it would vaporize into the atmosphere, condense and fall again as rain. It would never relieve the flooding.

It's not only a fictional story but clearly plagiarized and altered to fit with the Christian theme. That we find this story in the Bible is telling of the Bible's overall credibility.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 12:48:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 12:42:46 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 12:02:49 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

The specific details on the Ark's construction which Noah needed to know could've been given to him by God. And it's quite possible that he hired many workers.
But, even if the whole thing was miraculous, that doesn't "disprove" it in any way, because just God speaking to a specific person inside of this Universe from outside it is miraculous. So with an event inspired by a miraculous incident why not strongly consider that much of the rest of it had supernatural overtones?

The vessel itself isn't possible. The U.S. military assigned some of it's most advanced ship builders to the task of attempting to build a wooden ship, a bit over 300-feet. They were allowed to use iron braces but the pressures against a wooden hull are simply to massive to prevent the long hull planks from bending and allowing water to flow between them. And no, tree sap isn't going to stop that kind of leak. So despite the fact that the military used iron bracing, their vessel was 200-feet shorter, and they had mechanical pumps to purge the water, the project was considered a complete failure.

So what you're saying is that if the U.S. army cannot build something...no one can?

Of course this is just one of the many insurmountable problems with the Noah's Ark story. And attempting to dismiss these problems by saying that God simply miracle'd the problems away makes little sense in light of the fact that the entire story rests on the concept of purely natural processes. God didn't zap the ark into existence. He enlisted a man to labor intensively to build it. God didn't poof the water into covering the Earth. The flood came about via rains and geysers. God didn't just miracle the evil away. Instead he drowned everything, women, children, infants, animals... everything except fish and marine mammals. Of course large marine mammals wouldn't have survived such a flood with the drastic climate change, millions of tons of sediments, the mixing of fresh and salt water, the destruction of their natural foods, etc. And Noah didn't have any whales, sharks, tuna, marlins, whale-sharks, etc., on the ark. So were the story true, we shouldn't have those animals now. And of course, the Bible doesn't claim that God waved his magic wand and caused the water to vanish, it claims the water "ran off" and "dried up". Of course Earth's hydrological cycle is isolated so there would be no way for the water to "run off" and "drying up" just means it would vaporize into the atmosphere, condense and fall again as rain. It would never relieve the flooding.

The Flood incident is a mixture of miracle and natural. The water already existed, but God had to make it flood the Earth. The water later receded back into the Earth, something that would probably require divine intervention. So, Noah built the Ark but he probably received divine help.

It's not only a fictional story but clearly plagiarized and altered to fit with the Christian theme. That we find this story in the Bible is telling of the Bible's overall credibility.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 1:06:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 12:48:17 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 10/3/2014 12:42:46 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 12:02:49 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

The specific details on the Ark's construction which Noah needed to know could've been given to him by God. And it's quite possible that he hired many workers.
But, even if the whole thing was miraculous, that doesn't "disprove" it in any way, because just God speaking to a specific person inside of this Universe from outside it is miraculous. So with an event inspired by a miraculous incident why not strongly consider that much of the rest of it had supernatural overtones?

The vessel itself isn't possible. The U.S. military assigned some of it's most advanced ship builders to the task of attempting to build a wooden ship, a bit over 300-feet. They were allowed to use iron braces but the pressures against a wooden hull are simply to massive to prevent the long hull planks from bending and allowing water to flow between them. And no, tree sap isn't going to stop that kind of leak. So despite the fact that the military used iron bracing, their vessel was 200-feet shorter, and they had mechanical pumps to purge the water, the project was considered a complete failure.

So what you're saying is that if the U.S. army cannot build something...no one can?
I'm saying that if the most technically savvy ship-builders of today couldn't build a sea-worthy wooden vessel, 300-feet in length, using iron bracing, mechanical pumps and computerized stress and force analysis, then it's really quite a practice of pure denial to assume that a man could have built one over 500-feet in length, without iron bracing or mechanical pumps which actually remained afloat and didn't take on water like a tea strainer. Every building material has its limits and wood simply isn't rigid enough - no matter how well the vessel is constructed - to produce a hull with the necessary rigidity. You can't construct a wooden hull more rigid than the wood used to build it.

Of course this is just one of the many insurmountable problems with the Noah's Ark story. And attempting to dismiss these problems by saying that God simply miracle'd the problems away makes little sense in light of the fact that the entire story rests on the concept of purely natural processes. God didn't zap the ark into existence. He enlisted a man to labor intensively to build it. God didn't poof the water into covering the Earth. The flood came about via rains and geysers. God didn't just miracle the evil away. Instead he drowned everything, women, children, infants, animals... everything except fish and marine mammals. Of course large marine mammals wouldn't have survived such a flood with the drastic climate change, millions of tons of sediments, the mixing of fresh and salt water, the destruction of their natural foods, etc. And Noah didn't have any whales, sharks, tuna, marlins, whale-sharks, etc., on the ark. So were the story true, we shouldn't have those animals now. And of course, the Bible doesn't claim that God waved his magic wand and caused the water to vanish, it claims the water "ran off" and "dried up". Of course Earth's hydrological cycle is isolated so there would be no way for the water to "run off" and "drying up" just means it would vaporize into the atmosphere, condense and fall again as rain. It would never relieve the flooding.

The Flood incident is a mixture of miracle and natural. The water already existed, but God had to make it flood the Earth.
Where do you propose this water was prior to the flood? If there were enough water in Earth's hydrological system to flood the Earth, Earth would be flooded. Earth isn't flooded because there isn't enough water in the hydrological system. Earth continually gains small quantities of water via comets which are mostly ice, which enter the atmosphere where the ice vaporizes. It loses only very small quantities of water at the polls. Earth has more water today than it has ever had in its history.

The water later receded back into the Earth, something that would probably require divine intervention. So, Noah built the Ark but he probably received divine help.
Here's the problem. If you dig a large underground cavern and fill it with water, then pump the water to the surface to flood the Earth, you now have a large empty underground cavern, and the water will immediately begin flowing back in to fill the void.

Try this. Get a small aquarium. Any size will work. Fill it with water. Now watch to see if the water "runs off". The aquarium is an isolated hydrological system. There's no place for the water to "run off" to. And evaporation only works until the atmosphere is saturated. So place a glass top on the aquarium which seals the tank. Now wait to see how long it takes for all of the water to "dry up". It will never happen because there isn't anyplace for the water to go. The water will condense on the glass top, collect, and drip back into the tank (precipitation). And Earth presents exactly the same problem.

It's not only a fictional story but clearly plagiarized and altered to fit with the Christian theme. That we find this story in the Bible is telling of the Bible's overall credibility.
There are over 200 different versions of the global flood story. One of them - "The Epic of Gilgamesh" - is one of the oldest writings known. Of course the "Epic of Gilgamesh" isn't a Christian work, and makes no appeals to the Christian God. It speaks of a different god, and a different hero character. But aside from that, it's a clear parallel to the Noah story in the Bible. So the Bible version is clearly taken from an older version, with certain changes included to make it favor the Christian God.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
MsIndependent
Posts: 383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...

http://www.pbs.org...

http://www.icr.org...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
MsIndependent
Posts: 383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 2:29:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.

The best person that broke this all down was John Woodmorappe. He's wrote several books and one specifically on the geology of the flood, animals, Noah's ark.
I'm trying to find a good peer reviewed article that will talk more in depth about it. Ill look and post.
http://www.icr.org...
MsIndependent
Posts: 383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 2:32:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.

This is an illustrated view/
http://njbiblescience.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 4:22:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 2:29:52 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.


The best person that broke this all down was John Woodmorappe. He's wrote several books and one specifically on the geology of the flood, animals, Noah's ark.
I'm trying to find a good peer reviewed article that will talk more in depth about it. Ill look and post.
http://www.icr.org...

from your link.
scientific creationism

say no more.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 4:49:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 2:29:52 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.


The best person that broke this all down was John Woodmorappe. He's wrote several books and one specifically on the geology of the flood, animals, Noah's ark.
I'm trying to find a good peer reviewed article that will talk more in depth about it. Ill look and post.
http://www.icr.org...

Well, you're not going to like this but when you research using a creationist site, there's something you need to know. And these sites do tend to admit their bias, but you often have to search for it. I'm assuming here that there is a legal requirement that they come clean that what they're doing is not really science.

if you'll check this link, you'll find where ICR admits that what they're doing isn't science.
http://www.icr.org...

- "Our research is conducted within a biblical worldview, since ICR is committed to the absolute authority of the inerrant Word of God. The real facts of science will always agree with biblical revelation because the God who made the world of God inspired the Word of God.
All origins research must begin with a premise.1 ICR holds that the biblical record of primeval history in Genesis 1"11 is factual, historical, and clearly understandable and, therefore, that all things were created and made in six literal days."


Look at the very same methodology, using a different book.
- "Our research is conducted within a Kryptonian worldview, since ICR is committed to the absolute authority of the inerrant Word of Jerry Siegel. The real facts of science will always agree with Superman revelation because the author who tells us of his word, inspired the Word of Jerry Siegel.
All origins research must begin with a premise.1 ICR holds that the comic book record of Kryptonian history in DC Comics is factual, historical, and clearly understandable and, therefore, that all things were revealed through this inspired word."


Now, using the slightly altered statement, is it possible to conduct research which shows that Superman isn't real? It's not possible because they've already stated that the comic book is true, and all research must point to that, or the research is dismissed.

In other words, they don't accept any evidence which shows anything in the Bible to be false. They don't accept any evidence showing a literal interpretation to be false. They start with their conclusion, and then seek only that evidence to support their preconceived conclusion. Rather than accepting that objective evidence - being reality itself - can tell us the truth in regard to discovery, they accept the Bible as the default. This is methodologically dishonest and rules out any claim that their research is in any way "science". It's simply not. What they do is ASSUME that the Bible is true, and then hold the conclusions of any and all research to that standard. It's testing the Bible with the foundational rule being that the Bible must be found to be true. It's absolute and complete dishonesty.

So rather than holding the Bible to a standard of credibility, they simply ASSIGN it full credibility, and then weigh reality against a man-made work of primitive superstition. It makes essentially every shred of work they do, utterly useless and fully dishonest.

This is no different than if I picked up a Superman comic and established a primary premise that all of my research MUST agree with the comic book, or that research must be deemed erroneous, false, tainted, etc. So they're already drawn their conclusion before they take the first step toward any research. And if their research disagrees with their pre-research conclusion, they simply reject it.

Using this methodology, one could select ANY of the Mother Goose stories and conclude that the story is fully true, because all of the research is based on the premise that the story must be true. It's like picking up an aspirin, insisting that it is actually a battleship, and then proceeding with research but basing all of that research on the primary premise that all valid research will show the aspirin to be a battleship, and any research not leading to that conclusion, is subjectively assumed to be false.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 5:38:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

The trouble is that the numbers people have looked at are wrong.

Why?

Well for one thing they look on the Ark as a boat, but if you read the description it really is an Ark, and chest, a rectangular box designed purely to float, not to travel.

For a second, where did they get their numbers from? Scripture gives us no indication of how many different types of animal there were then.

The creation account tells us God created animals "according to their kinds". Logically that does not mean every single species we see on earth now,and we don't even know a;ll that there are, but simply appears to mean simply the basic kinds which were then allowed to adapt as required.

Also, scripture tells us, before the flood there was very little environmental change so that would mean little need for the types to adapt meaning few new types emerging.

That cuts the probable number down a great deal.

Also God being an intensely logical being, is it not highly likely that he would only have gathered young of each type into the Ark?

However the simplest answer is that Christ believed it, and as God's son had, in his pre-human state, been there from the beginning, so he should know.

There is only one event in scripture that cannot be explained in terms of current knowledge, though it can be hypothesised, and that is on the plains of Aijalon where god made it appear like the sun was stationary in the sky for almost a whole day.

The hypothesis is simple.

A being with the power to create the whole universe and everything in it would certainly have sufficient to temporarily slow the rotation of the earth and compensate for the force of gravity on everything on the earth. That would certainly have the desired effect, and leave little or no trace behind it.

Also, if fully trained and published scientists can believe in scripture, 100%, then why should we not also do so. Though they may be in a minority, and in fact are, there are scientists who are Jehovah's witnesses and you cannot be a JW without 100% faith in scripture, Those include microbiologists, roboticists and at least one who has a role in NASA.

I can give you links to their stories if you wish to understand why they feel as they do.

The simplest answer when dealing with a being like God is that just because we don;t understand how he did it doesn't mean he didn't.
Demetriuscapone
Posts: 152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 7:32:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I noticed you got Darkmatter2525's god as an avatar. I absolutely love that guy, completely hilarious, awesome artist and points out logistical flaws with surgeonic precision. A real cool dude indeed, and I hope he makes a Noah's ark video.

The biggest flaw though, has to be the sloth. A genus of South American animals, unique to the continent who moves slower than snails. Are we supposed to believe that some species of sloth, walked across the Americas, crossing the bering's strait, across Siberia, down south through the caucasus and into the Middle East? The amount of flaws in that proposition is so absurd, not even the most insane abrahamitic, lunatic can believe that.

First of all: how would they survive that? Everything north of the Amazons is teeming with predators that would catch them in an instant. Not only that, it would be impossible for them to find food since they can't climb trees all the way to the north. They don't eat grass. Related to the question of their survival: it would take them over 500 years to walk that distance. So god must have made the sloths immortal and also sent them the message of this whole ark sh1t going down, 500-600 years before he sent the meassage to Noah.
Natec
Posts: 84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 7:51:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.

I started looking at them, but I think most of them are a waste of time to rebut. The first one I clicked claimed to have evidence of Noah's flood, but ended in saying that they really didn't find anything and that they think they never will...
Dude... stop...
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 7:55:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 7:51:20 AM, Natec wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.

I started looking at them, but I think most of them are a waste of time to rebut. The first one I clicked claimed to have evidence of Noah's flood, but ended in saying that they really didn't find anything and that they think they never will...

There actually is some evidence that there could have been a flood, but unfortunately none that there actually was.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 9:16:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Why do you think the Turkish Govt closed down all expeditions to Mt Ararat after the kind of wood described in the building of Noah's ark, with pitch on it as described in the sealing of the ark to protect the wood, was found on the Mountain, and overhead pictures showed what appeared to be the ark exactly as it was descibed in Geneiss, same size and shape, afer the snows melted back and exposed the object?
Natec
Posts: 84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 9:21:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 9:16:25 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Why do you think the Turkish Govt closed down all expeditions to Mt Ararat after the kind of wood described in the building of Noah's ark, with pitch on it as described in the sealing of the ark to protect the wood, was found on the Mountain, and overhead pictures showed what appeared to be the ark exactly as it was descibed in Geneiss, same size and shape, afer the snows melted back and exposed the object?

Show me the evidence.
Dude... stop...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:13:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 9:16:25 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

Why do you think the Turkish Govt closed down all expeditions to Mt Ararat after the kind of wood described in the building of Noah's ark, with pitch on it as described in the sealing of the ark to protect the wood, was found on the Mountain, and overhead pictures showed what appeared to be the ark exactly as it was descibed in Geneiss, same size and shape, afer the snows melted back and exposed the object?

The same kind of wood? That's interesting. Would that be squared timber as translated in the Greek Septuagint, or just smoothed wood as it says in the Latin Vulgate? Maybe it was cedar beams as suggested in the Jewish encyclopedia, or box wood as offered by the Syriac Peshitta. Other suggestions are cypress, pine, fir, teak, sandalwood, wicker, juniper, acacia and ebony. So I'm curious; how do they know it was the same kind of wood used in the biblical ark when no one knows what kind of wood that would be?

And can you link me to any of these overhead photos? Because the only ones I've seen show a dark spot where some snow has melted and something - possibly just the mountain - is showing through. So far, there are claims that the ark has been found in Turkey, Iran and Hong Kong, but no one ever has any actual evidence to show. One group claiming to find the ark did bring back a sample of wood carbon-dated to 4,800-years old but young Earth creationists claim (without supporting evidence), that carbon-14 dating should be recalibrated, making the wood far too young.

Reports of biblical artifacts are incredibly common. What isn't so common is evidence to support these claims.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:34:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
In answer to the OP.
Yes many people.
It is a sad indictment on those people, but so are the rest of their beliefs.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:38:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 7:55:49 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 10/3/2014 7:51:20 AM, Natec wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:49:07 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...
For starters, do you see the windows?

(Genesis 6:16) "A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Let's just start here. How many windows do you see in the "replica"? How many windows does Genesis claim the ark should have? Does the word "replica" really fit? Now, this might sound petty unless you remember that animal waste is loaded with ammonia. And a build-up of ammonia in the air can quickly lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems. Birds, in particular, are extremely susceptible to respiratory illness. But if you imagine individuals of every species on the planet, cooped up in a vessel such as described in the Bible, it becomes readily apparent that the amount of ammonia would leave the interior of the ark uninhabitable in a matter of days. And no matter how diligently 8-people worked, there is no way they could purge the waste, let alone clean enclosures, haul feed, and care for themselves.

So in building this "replica" they've added at least 34-windows on the lower decks. But this leaves a problem with the rough seas which would accompany a global flood. In fact, such seas would make tsunamis and tidal waves seem calm by comparison.

The next thing we see is people jumping to the idea that it may have been a local flood, and the men writing Genesis simply didn't realize that their region of the world wasn't the entire world. But for that to work, one has to throw away the idea that the Bible is inspired by God. Surely, if the flood weren't global, God would know. And yet, the Bible claims...

(Genesis 7:19) "And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

So the Bible clearly isn't talking about a local flood. It's very specific that the flood covered the entire planet.

I'll check your other links as time allows.

I started looking at them, but I think most of them are a waste of time to rebut. The first one I clicked claimed to have evidence of Noah's flood, but ended in saying that they really didn't find anything and that they think they never will...

There actually is some evidence that there could have been a flood, but unfortunately none that there actually was.

Do you understand that floods occur all over the world?
Do you understand that the worldwide flood claimed in your holy book of spells has been proven to have never occurred?
No!!
You aren't capable of understanding any of that.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:38:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

None of us happened to witness Noah's ark so to try prove that this actually happened is foolish. The flood was designed by our Creator to set up the end of this age to destroy the rest of His people and burn everything up with hot molten lava.

Since we're experiencing nothing but a dream, it doesn't really matter how the story goes. It's going to end soon, anyway.
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:54:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 12:02:49 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

The specific details on the Ark's construction which Noah needed to know could've been given to him by God.

"It could have ..." "It might have ..." "It's possible that ..." Except that it didn't. The story is pure fantasy and falsehood.

And it's quite possible that he hired many workers.

That's not what your biblical account states.

But, even if the whole thing was miraculous, that doesn't "disprove" it in any way, because just God speaking to a specific person inside of this Universe from outside it is miraculous.

No, it isn't "miraculous," it's ridiculous.

So with an event inspired by a miraculous incident why not strongly consider that much of the rest of it had supernatural overtones?

Because it is the very "supernatural" overtones that make such little sense.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:06:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Surely an omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent god would be capable of using his magic for good rather than evil
You know just use the magic that you claim he used to build an impossible boat, collect an impossible amount of creatures, have those creatures survive, provide the amount of water necessary to flood the earth, provide a living olive tree make it possible that this matchwood boat could survive 30 tons of water per hour falling on it, but he couldn't use his magic to make people the nice people he allegedly created them to be.

This god is not only intellectually challenged, he is the most incompetent being in existence.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:09:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 1:29:44 AM, MsIndependent wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

http://abcnews.go.com...

http://www.pbs.org...

http://www.icr.org...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

And not one of these links provides ANYTHING that can be used for anything more than speculative conjecture. The flood did not happen.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Natec
Posts: 84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 11:12:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/3/2014 10:38:33 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 10/2/2014 7:23:07 PM, Natec wrote:
Just wondering if anyone here believes that the event in the Bible known as Noah's Ark actually happened. People have looked at the numbers and proven that it's literally impossible:

http://ncse.com...

What response can anyone give other than "Magic!" to rebut this?

None of us happened to witness Noah's ark so to try prove that this actually happened is foolish. The flood was designed by our Creator to set up the end of this age to destroy the rest of His people and burn everything up with hot molten lava.

Just because no one saw something =/= it didn't happen........... It's stupid to say that it does. The second part of your sentence is just made up.
Since we're experiencing nothing but a dream, it doesn't really matter how the story goes. It's going to end soon, anyway.

Lol ok
Dude... stop...