Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Tip For Forum Posters/Debaters

Envisage
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 3:56:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Argument ad verbosium - A type of argument which obscures/obfuscates (intentionally or unintentionally) the points within it.

I would recommend people who get accused of writing overly verbose posts to literally write the minimal humanly possible amount, with just the bare bones, when making their posts. It will help you get used to making concise posts and cut the fat off of them.

Something like -

Point
Substantiation for point

Point 2
Substantiation for point 2

Logical progression from point 1 to point 2 to your conclusion.

Try to keep your posts under 1,000 characters, trust me it will help a LOT.
Skepticalone
Posts: 7,376
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 4:01:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/7/2014 3:56:19 PM, Envisage wrote:
Argument ad verbosium - A type of argument which obscures/obfuscates (intentionally or unintentionally) the points within it.

I would recommend people who get accused of writing overly verbose posts to literally write the minimal humanly possible amount, with just the bare bones, when making their posts. It will help you get used to making concise posts and cut the fat off of them.

Something like -

Point
Substantiation for point

Point 2
Substantiation for point 2

Logical progression from point 1 to point 2 to your conclusion.

Try to keep your posts under 1,000 characters, trust me it will help a LOT.

Preach it, Brotha.
Science has taught us that, because we have a talent for deceiving ourselves, subjectivity may not freely reign. - Carl Sagan

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 8:58:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/8/2014 7:15:01 PM, Wylted wrote:
Bump.

Good call... bump.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Wylted
Posts: 24,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 9:04:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/8/2014 8:58:41 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/8/2014 7:15:01 PM, Wylted wrote:
Bump.

Good call... bump.

I know you're like a militant atheist and I'm just a regular atheist but I really feel like we made a connection there.

I love you.
dee-em
Posts: 8,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 9:04:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
And no copy-pasta of large slabs of scripture for no apparent purpose.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 9:07:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/8/2014 9:04:24 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/8/2014 8:58:41 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/8/2014 7:15:01 PM, Wylted wrote:
Bump.

Good call... bump.

I know you're like a militant atheist and I'm just a regular atheist but I really feel like we made a connection there.

I love you.

I love you too.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 9:08:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/8/2014 9:04:31 PM, dee-em wrote:
And no copy-pasta of large slabs of scripture for no apparent purpose.

Lol! That too!
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Wylted
Posts: 24,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 9:13:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/8/2014 9:04:31 PM, dee-em wrote:
And no copy-pasta of large slabs of scripture for no apparent purpose.

You're right. Despite the fact that the militant atheists commit just as many logical fallacies around here, this one is mainly a problem for the theists.

Typically those with supernatural beliefs Are more likely to go off on several tangents. (Not that they all do it)