Jump to topic:

are there fat people in heaven?

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:12:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
i overheard this argument on the bus.. unfortunately only one half of it because the woman was on the phone...

if you're fat on earth you won't be fat in heaven because you can't get sick in heaven and fat people get sick. if you have heart disease on earth will you have heart disease in heaven? i think not!

i can't imagine what the other person was saying... but i am sure it was compelling because the argument went on for some time...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:18:40 AM
How about you will neither be too fat nor too thin in Paradise? Since both the former and the latter are unhealthy, it is something in between those.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:19:40 AM
Lol!

Deuterocanonlogicaly, all people in heaven enter at age 33, Jesus' death age. As for fat people no, being fat isn't really an illness because it's not pathological just a bad state of physical heath. You'll be fat in heaven too.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:23:44 AM
I didn't know we take our bodies with us to heaven? I thought Jesus was the only one who got to take his body with him.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:30:17 AM
At 4/8/2010 10:23:44 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I didn't know we take our bodies with us to heaven? I thought Jesus was the only one who got to take his body with him.

And Elijah.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:40:37 AM
At 4/8/2010 10:30:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

And Elijah.

And Mohammed... and his hoarse....
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:41:41 AM
At 4/8/2010 10:40:37 AM, Freeman wrote:

whoa whoa whoa... now you can have strep throat in heaven too!?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:45:11 AM
Well, I can't answer that question.
We will find out once we reach heaven.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 10:49:49 AM

And Elijah.

No that was a dream.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 11:16:21 AM

And Elijah.

And Mohammad... and his hoarse....

I wonder if there are fat people in Muslim heaven?

I think there are because Mohammad promises Islamic martyrs 72 virgins when they arrive in heaven - but obviously neglects to mention that the reason they are virgins is that they all are hideously overweight!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
marcusbrutus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 11:18:48 AM
At 4/8/2010 11:16:21 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I think there are because Mohammad promises Islamic martyrs 72 virgins when they arrive in heaven - but obviously neglects to mention that the reason they are virgins is that they all are hideously overweight!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 11:24:14 AM
At 4/8/2010 11:18:48 AM, marcusbrutus wrote:

Hahahaha. I was just going to post that. Too funny. xD
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 11:24:22 AM
Yeah...

I never got the Heaven and virgins thing in Islam. Sex is bad always, humans die because we are conserved in sin. The Sins of the father. So why would you get 72 Virgins?

Another question, are these women created virgins or do dead virgin woman get assigned to a guy?

I'd it look it up but searching "Islam virgin woman martyr" don't feel right.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 11:26:54 AM
At 4/8/2010 11:24:22 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Yeah...

I never got the Heaven and virgins thing in Islam. Sex is bad always, humans die because we are Conceived in sin. The Sins of the father. So why would you get 72 Virgins?

Another question, are these women created virgins or do dead virgin woman get assigned to a guy?

I'd it look it up but searching "Islam virgin woman martyr" don't feel right.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 11:28:41 AM
I wonder if there are fat people in Muslim heaven?
People of normal looks. Nothing that is dangerous to you, neither tin nor thick.

I think there are because Mohammad promises Islamic martyrs 72 virgins when they arrive in heaven
No.

- but obviously neglects to mention that the reason they are virgins is that they all are hideously overweight!
The Qur'an speaks about 'Houris', who are companions in Paradise of those who have entered it, and not only martyrs. There is no specific number. Also, they are 'servants', and there are also males, not only females.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 12:56:47 PM
At 4/8/2010 10:12:28 AM, belle wrote:
i overheard this argument on the bus.. unfortunately only one half of it because the woman was on the phone...

if you're fat on earth you won't be fat in heaven because you can't get sick in heaven and fat people get sick. if you have heart disease on earth will you have heart disease in heaven? i think not!

i can't imagine what the other person was saying... but i am sure it was compelling because the argument went on for some time...

(given: god and heaven)

Either Fat people can't go... (b/c God wouldn't lie and give'em healthy bodies that are not their own)

or, you don't have a body at all... Souls only.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:09:16 PM
How hard is it to understand?

Let's say you have cancer. Do you go to heaven with cancer? You do not do that because it is harmful, and no harm will take place in Paradise. You will go to heaven being healthy Similarly, if anybody is harmfully overweight or underweight, then he will not suffer from that in Paradise.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:09:56 PM
At 4/8/2010 1:09:16 PM, Mirza wrote:

Let's say you have cancer. Do you go to heaven with cancer? You do not do that because it is harmful, and no harm will take place in Paradise. You will go to heaven being healthy[.] Similarly, if anybody is harmfully overweight or underweight, then he will not suffer from that in Paradise.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:12:36 PM
At 4/8/2010 1:09:16 PM, Mirza wrote:

Let's say you have cancer. Do you go to heaven with cancer? You do not do that because it is harmful, and no harm will take place in Paradise. You will go to heaven being healthy Similarly, if anybody is harmfully overweight or underweight, then he will not suffer from that in Paradise.

is paradise a physical place according to the quran mirza?

What if the person's just hideously ugly?

What if the person's always been a fatty? Like REALLY fat. Then if when you got to heaven, you were different, you wouldn't really be in 'your' body but one that Never existed at all.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:18:58 PM
At 4/8/2010 1:12:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
is paradise a physical place according to the quran mirza?
It is something no human has imagined, as the Qur'an says. Humans will be 100% natural, meaning that we will have flesh etc.

In Paradise, anything that is being wished for will come true, but nothing bad will ever happen there, not even crossing anyone's mind, so nobody will wish for anything bad.

What if the person's just hideously ugly?
We will all look extremely beautiful. Nobody will feel any bad thing about himself.

What if the person's always been a fatty? Like REALLY fat. Then if when you got to heaven, you were different, you wouldn't really be in 'your' body but one that Never existed at all.
A person is never the same. Are you, being 90 years old, the same as when you were five years old? A person may be too fat here, and that may be dangerous to him. It is said that we will be 33 years old.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:22:01 PM
So the body is eternal and there is no separate soul?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:26:31 PM
Being fat isn't pathological, it's an illness. Being fat make's you prone to illnesses not actually the being fat. Being fat is a state of living, usually unbeneficial but sometimes is.

If I'm not still slim in heaven then I won't be in heaven.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:27:06 PM
At 4/8/2010 1:22:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
We have a soul to keep us alive. Our body is something that functions due to a soul. When we die, our bodies die, but our souls don't. They taste either punishment or reward in the grave until the Day of Judgement, where our bodies will be resurrected. This means that the soul is always there, but the flesh expires after we die until the Hour (Day of Judgement).
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:28:53 PM
At 4/8/2010 1:27:06 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 4/8/2010 1:22:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
We have a soul to keep us alive. Our body is something that functions due to a soul. When we die, our bodies die, but our souls don't. They taste either punishment or reward in the grave until the Day of Judgement, where our bodies will be resurrected. This means that the soul is always there, but the flesh expires after we die until the Hour (Day of Judgement).
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 1:31:29 PM
I pressed on a wrong link. Ignore the quoted post above.

The Qur'an describes resurrection by giving an example of how something dead is brought to life again.

[Qur'an 22:5-6] "O mankind! If you are in doubt concerning the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you of dust, then of semen, then of a fertilized ovum suspended on the wall of the womb, then of a lump of flesh shaped and unshaped, so that We demonstrate to you Our power. And We keep in the wombs what We please to an appointed term, and afterwards We bring you forth as infants, then We cause you to grow up, that you reach your prime. Among you some die (young) and some are sent back to the feeblest phase of age so that they know nothing after they had knowledge. You sometimes see the earth dry and barren. But when We pour down rain on it, it trembles, and swells, and grows of every pleasant pair. That is so because God is the Truth, and He it is Who gives life to the dead, and He is powerful over all things."

This is a perfect example of how God is easily able to restore dead bodies, like dead earth.
homework
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2010 2:43:09 PM
It is inconceivable that we would have a body in heaven, or at least a "body" a we conventionally see it. As a previous poster said, in heaven there can be absolutely nothing wrong with anyone. But a body is an imperfect material form of that person, and there are inevitably flaws with that imperfect form. Even the healthiest, most beautiful or handsome body that has ever existed on earth must have at least 1 flaw, no matter how small, and that flaw is not perfection. Say, the body had 1 cell out of millions that turned cancerous in that person's entire life, but was immediately killed by the immune system. This is still a flaw. The only way to remedy this contradiction is if the "body" we take to heaven is not a body as we conventionally conceive of it, but a totally different kind of body the likes of which we cannot imagine. Or, we have no body at all in heaven. Only this can account for the perfection that is necessary if where we go after death can be considered "heaven" or "paradise".
Psychologists think they're experimental psychologists
Experimental psychologists think they're biologists
Biologists think they're biochemists
Biochemists think they're chemists
Chemists think they're physical chemists
Physical chemists think they're physicists
Physicists think they're theoretical physicists
Theoretical physicists think they're mathematicians
Mathematicians think they're metamathematicians
Metamathematicians think they're philosophers
Philosophers think they're Gods