Does omniscience contradict free will?

jh1234lnew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 8:43:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

Let's just say that there was a hypothetical wise man living in a ninja dojo who knew everything.

One day, the wise man is forced to make a decision: whether or not he should move to San Vancelona and leave the ninja dojo.

Because he knew everything, he decided within a split second. However, because he knew everything, he knew the answer beforehand ever since he was born. This means that the answer was already chosen, meaning that omniscience contradicted and prevented free will.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 9:34:35 PM
At 10/9/2014 8:43:31 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:

Let's just say that there was a hypothetical wise man living in a ninja dojo who knew everything.

One day, the wise man is forced to make a decision: whether or not he should move to San Vancelona and leave the ninja dojo.

Because he knew everything, he decided within a split second. However, because he knew everything, he knew the answer beforehand ever since he was born. This means that the answer was already chosen, meaning that omniscience contradicted and prevented free will.

We're all living according to God's plan called Eternal Life. He even planned what He wanted you to look at.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 10:23:23 PM

I am not confident 'all knowing' specifically infers having foresight. Omiscient is defined as having total understanding, knowledge, or awareness. To me, this means there is nothing objective the entity would not know, and it would know the -ramifications- of a choice, it would know the benefits of each, and your odds of potentially choosing one choice or another, but not specifically what you would choose.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 12:48:36 AM
At 10/9/2014 10:23:23 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I am not confident 'all knowing' specifically infers having foresight. Omiscient is defined as having total understanding, knowledge, or awareness. To me, this means there is nothing objective the entity would not know, and it would know the -ramifications- of a choice, it would know the benefits of each, and your odds of potentially choosing one choice or another, but not specifically what you would choose.

If speaking of the Christian God, the claim of accurate prophecy would certainly suggest that God knows the future, including that which he will not himself, do.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 12:55:06 AM
At 10/10/2014 12:48:36 AM, Beastt wrote:

If speaking of the Christian God, the claim of accurate prophecy would certainly suggest that God knows the future, including that which he will not himself, do.

Considering that particular deity's penchant for... well, odd stuff in general, were I It, I too would want to give that impression. ;) He sees you when your sleeping, he knows when you're awake... -hums the rest-
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 12:58:28 AM
At 10/10/2014 12:55:06 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Considering that particular deity's penchant for... well, odd stuff in general, were I It, I too would want to give that impression. ;) He sees you when your sleeping, he knows when you're awake... -hums the rest-

And yet, somehow Christians just don't see it. It couldn't be more obvious if he had a red-setter named "Rudolph".
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 1:07:23 AM
At 10/10/2014 12:58:28 AM, Beastt wrote:

And yet, somehow Christians just don't see it. It couldn't be more obvious if he had a red-setter named "Rudolph".

Though, speaking out of the box, were I an entity of superior intellect, potency (technology if it suits), and expirience, and I were attempting to guide an inferior specie... what better way to do it?

For purposes, I am not stating such an entity is an omnicreator, just some variety of ... thing that possesed the ability to be Oz the Great and Powerful, and the foresight to recognize what happens to rational and thinking specie.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 1:16:30 AM
At 10/10/2014 1:07:23 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Though, speaking out of the box, were I an entity of superior intellect, potency (technology if it suits), and expirience, and I were attempting to guide an inferior specie... what better way to do it?

For purposes, I am not stating such an entity is an omnicreator, just some variety of ... thing that possesed the ability to be Oz the Great and Powerful, and the foresight to recognize what happens to rational and thinking specie.

Well, if you were omnipotent, just about any system would be better. How about showing yourself for starters, and not copying the age-old system of having men write things, and then claim you told them to?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 1:22:57 AM
At 10/10/2014 1:16:30 AM, Beastt wrote:

Well, if you were omnipotent, just about any system would be better. How about showing yourself for starters, and not copying the age-old system of having men write things, and then claim you told them to?

Superior doesn't mean 'omni' in terms of potency.

Repitition is the quickest way to learning, so of course, they should keep copying, BUT should I keep hanging out with these subordinate creatures, they might in some way begin to think I am a deit... aw crap. Welp, time to go/watch from afar.

But, this all is more of a philosophical discussion rather than religious, considering God takes more the role of alien father figure.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 3:35:58 AM
At 10/10/2014 1:22:57 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Repitition is the quickest way to learning, so of course, they should keep copying, BUT should I keep hanging out with these subordinate creatures, they might in some way begin to think I am a deit... aw crap. Welp, time to go/watch from afar.

But, this all is more of a philosophical discussion rather than religious, considering God takes more the role of alien father figure.

Then let's approach it from this angle. When you're passionate and serious about a message, do you show yourself and deliver the message yourself, or contact someone unknown to the recipient, tell them to write it down in their own hand-writing, and claim that it came from you?

As an example; would you propose to the woman of your dreams via a written message from a stranger, claiming it to be from you?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 3:38:36 AM
At 10/10/2014 3:35:58 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/10/2014 1:22:57 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Then let's approach it from this angle. When you're passionate and serious about a message, do you show yourself and deliver the message yourself, or contact someone unknown to the recipient, tell them to write it down in their own hand-writing, and claim that it came from you?

As an example; would you propose to the woman of your dreams via a written message from a stranger, claiming it to be from you?

Great example! Marriage, probably not. But... I did that a lot in grade school. I was a bit shy as a kid. Does God as written sound like a child to you? Well.. at least one with the Universe as his credit card?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 3:40:57 AM
At 10/10/2014 3:38:36 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 10/10/2014 3:35:58 AM, Beastt wrote:

Great example! Marriage, probably not. But... I did that a lot in grade school. I was a bit shy as a kid. Does God as written sound like a child to you? Well.. at least one with the Universe as his credit card?

Yes... an emotional child with some very serious behavioral issues. Who but a child, believes that an insult should be rewarded with eternal torment?
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 3:51:54 AM

Your question assumes that the man's omniscience forced his hand. If the man already knows everything, then he already knows why he made those choices. Because memory recollection is an active process, and the man remembers what he knows from omniscience when confronted with a problem, he is in fact making choices. It's like playing a video game from the walkthrough instead of bumming around for an hour figuring out which door to open.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 12:27:04 PM

Because he knew everything, he decided within a split second.

However, because he knew everything, he knew the answer beforehand ever since he was born.

You are fine up to here. Next, you suddenly jump off the logic ship. Why?

This means that the answer was already chosen, meaning that omniscience contradicted and prevented free will.

Why was the answer chosen? Was it chosen freely?

Every time someone brings up this illogical clunker, they cannot say by what mechanism omniscience prevents free will. They make the claim, but cannot show how free will is violated by omniscience.

They also cannot say what is it which prompted the first decision. If I know I will decide to move from the dojo, I know so because I DID decide to move! That IS, in fact, free will!

jh1234lnew - But you can't now decide to not to move!

Why not? But if I decide now not to move, I would have already known that. After setting up omniscience, you can't later nullify omniscience to drum up a paradox.

The trick of this clunker is to use omniscience as a "time machine" to "go back" in time and "make" the decision so that the decision is than "locked" in the present. They then claim that the decision being "locked" is a violation of free will because it cannot be changed. But up till the time the decision was made, it could be changed. Exactly like every other decision. Every decision of the past is locked in the present.

It is a temporal trick that confounds the weak of mind. Oh, and the hopelessly biased.