Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dawkins: 'I will arrest the Pope'

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 5:38:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Richard Dawkins: I will arrest Pope Benedict XVI

My dream has come true. :)

"RICHARD DAWKINS, the atheist campaigner, is planning a legal ambush to have the Pope a"rrested during his state visit to Britain "for crimes against humanity".

Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author, have asked human rights lawyers to produce a case for charging Pope Benedict XVI over his alleged cover-up of sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

The pair believe they can exploit the same legal principle used to arrest Augusto Pinochet, the late Chilean dictator, when he visited Britain in 1998.

The Pope was embroiled in new controversy this weekend over a letter he signed arguing that the "good of the universal church" should be considered against the defrocking of an American priest who committed sex offences against two boys. It was dated 1985, when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 5:45:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 5:43:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
This is incredible!! I just hope Dawkins isn't assassinated or something.

By who? The Vatican secret societies (Knights of Malta and Opus Dei)?

Anyways, this will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 5:47:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 5:45:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/11/2010 5:43:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
This is incredible!! I just hope Dawkins isn't assassinated or something.

By who? The Vatican secret societies (Knights of Malta and Opus Dei)?

Anyways, this will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

No, by some crazy Catholic.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 5:57:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have to give kudos to Dawkins and the initiative, because its truly needed, but I doubt it will actually come of anything. Seems more gimmicky than real. But, it'll make some friend, that's for sure - especially since Dawkin's can't make many more enemies!
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 5:59:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Have the priests already been arrested? If not than this definitely is more about show than justice.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 6:04:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 5:59:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Have the priests already been arrested? If not than this definitely is more about show than justice.

Dawkins can't simply arrest any old Catholic priest - only the ones who actually committed the crime, or ones who have responsibility in covering it up, like the Pope has.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 6:12:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 6:08:47 PM, Puck wrote:
I think we are missing the point that Dawkins is in no way scarier than Hitchens.

he's a lot less drunk though, which prolly adds credibility...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 6:38:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 6:04:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Publicity stunt and a bit strange for a moral relativist. :P

@ popculturepooka and Belle

Are you both ignorant of the what the pope is being accused of? It sounds like it to me.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 6:42:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 6:04:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Publicity stunt and a bit strange for a moral relativist. :P

http://www.debate.org...

Get informed and then tell me this is a publicity stunt.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 6:55:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 6:38:43 PM, Freeman wrote:
Are you both ignorant of the what the pope is being accused of? It sounds like it to me.

i'm well aware. it just strikes me as an absurdly bold statement to make with absolutely no authority to back it up. only apparently he never made it, so its a publicity stunt manufactured by someone else :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 7:01:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 6:38:43 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:04:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Publicity stunt and a bit strange for a moral relativist. :P

@ popculturepooka and Belle

Are you both ignorant of the what the pope is being accused of? It sounds like it to me.

Of course not. It's a heinous crime. That doesn't stop his from being a publicity stunt.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 7:15:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 6:49:23 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Richard Dawkins is not going to arrest the Pope:
http://timcooley.wordpress.com...

Well duh...
He's not going to do it personally. He has hired lawyers to build a case against the pope.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 7:24:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lol, good luck trying to arrest the pope. I doubt it'll happen. It looks to me like the guy just wants to be famous.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 8:00:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 6:42:27 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:04:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Publicity stunt and a bit strange for a moral relativist. :P

http://www.debate.org...

Get informed and then tell me this is a publicity stunt.

maybe if the "crime" happened in britian, then he could, but even then, he has limits to being able to make a citizens arrest.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Tlhedglin
Posts: 119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 8:02:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 7:24:34 PM, Koopin wrote:
Lol, good luck trying to arrest the pope. I doubt it'll happen. It looks to me like the guy just wants to be famous.

He is already famous, he need not do anything but sit on his hands to remain so. Perhaps he just feels that the pope should be arrested for aiding the molesters in avoiding prosecution?
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 8:06:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 8:00:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:42:27 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:04:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Publicity stunt and a bit strange for a moral relativist. :P

http://www.debate.org...

Get informed and then tell me this is a publicity stunt.

maybe if the "crime" happened in britian, then he could, but even then, he has limits to being able to make a citizens arrest.

It wont be a citizens arrest- although that would be pretty ****in awesome. Richard Dawkins, like Christopher Hitchens, has friends in high places.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 8:07:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
the major problem with this is the precedence that it sends about what is a "crime against humanity."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 8:09:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 8:06:43 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/11/2010 8:00:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:42:27 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:04:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Publicity stunt and a bit strange for a moral relativist. :P

http://www.debate.org...

Get informed and then tell me this is a publicity stunt.

maybe if the "crime" happened in britian, then he could, but even then, he has limits to being able to make a citizens arrest.

It wont be a citizens arrest- although that would be pretty ****in awesome. Richard Dawkins, like Christopher Hitchens, has friends in high places.

Oh, I guess when the phrase "legal ambush" came out, I pictured him hiding behind a bush, just waiting to the pope to get close enough.

But really, the odds of this happening are even less then the people saying they were going to arrest Bush after he left office.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Tlhedglin
Posts: 119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 8:28:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 8:07:30 PM, OreEle wrote:
the major problem with this is the precedence that it sends about what is a "crime against humanity."

I think helping multiple child molesters avoid prosecution by shuffling them around a world wide network could qualify, though perhaps you feel differently...
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 11:37:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/11/2010 8:09:35 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/11/2010 8:06:43 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/11/2010 8:00:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:42:27 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/11/2010 6:04:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Publicity stunt and a bit strange for a moral relativist. :P

http://www.debate.org...

Get informed and then tell me this is a publicity stunt.

maybe if the "crime" happened in britian, then he could, but even then, he has limits to being able to make a citizens arrest.

It wont be a citizens arrest- although that would be pretty ****in awesome. Richard Dawkins, like Christopher Hitchens, has friends in high places.

Oh, I guess when the phrase "legal ambush" came out, I pictured him hiding behind a bush, just waiting to the pope to get close enough.

LMFAO

Yeah, that would be great. Just imagine it. The pope walks up to meet with the prime minister of Britain and just as he is almost half-way there, Richard Dawkins repels from the ceiling of Buckingham Palace to go in for the arrest. Ratzinger- who is now frightened and confused- begins running frantically trying to find an exit. Then, as the pope tries to escape through the nearest exit, Christopher Hitchens pops out of the trash can near the door and delivers a right cross to Ratzinger's jaw. Shortly after, as the pope tries to get oriented, Sam Harrris breaks through the window near the door and proceeds to get Ratzinger in a headlock. Daniel Dennet, not wanting to feel left out, walks up to the captured pope and proceeds to put a pair of handcuffs on him. In the meanwhile, the world looks on at this series of events in complete and utter disbelief.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 4:39:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It won't sadly be possible to arrest the Pope like it was with Pinochet because Pinochet was no longer preisident state when he visited whereas the Pope is - he is the Vatican City's head of state.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...