*The Religion Forum 1*

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:15:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Howdy, folks.

This is a message specifically for folks in the religion section. As I mentioned in this week's Presidential Update (http://www.debate.org...), it's time to try something new in the religion section.

We're going to fix this place.

It's a tall order--possibly Sisyphean. But I'm hopeful it can be done.

I've been speaking the mods (well, in this case specifically airmax) about this project o' mine for some time. He's approved my plan moving forward. I'm hoping we, as a community, are capable of getting the religion section in better shape without the heavy hand of Official Mod Action. This is the first thread I'm making about this--I'll either bump this one, or make a series (hence the 1).

The goal is to coordinate with users who, like me, are interested in a religion section that's worth going to. If you're interested, this is the thread where I'm going to outline the plan moving forward.

For right now, I'm starting with this:

I'm looking for users who are willing to help me. The users who are willing will need to pledge to be particularly nice and polite--despite their own frustration (something that can, of course, be difficult). And, by agreeing to work with me and agreeing to the onerous burden of ensuring particularly good behavior on their part, they will also be given a bit more latitude in terms of working with moderation to get users who can't, or won't, be productive to mend their ways.

The tentative name for these members who are willing to help out is "Religion Forum Marshal".

If you're one of these interested and willing members, please PM me with your interest. DO NOT post here. In some cases, I won't be able to accept some folks for the position, and THAT conversation will NOT be public. At the risk of belaboring the point: DO NOT post your interest here. Doing so is will, honestly, show a bit of reading issue on your part (no offense intended) and is going to make me think this it's not a good idea to have you be part of this initiative.

This position is going to have responsibility--but hopefully, it'll be worth it and in short order, we can turn things around here.

This is not going to be any kind of secret cabal--all people involved in this will be known. They will not have any additional authority and, indeed, will be held to a higher standard in order to be involved in the program.

I hope I haven't scared everyone who wants to help off. Please feel free to ask anything about this project here, and, as I said, PM me if you're interested.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:49:02 AM
At 10/13/2014 12:15:06 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Howdy, folks.

This is a message specifically for folks in the religion section. As I mentioned in this week's Presidential Update (http://www.debate.org...), it's time to try something new in the religion section.

I've been speaking the mods (well, in this case specifically airmax) about this project o' mine for some time. He's approved my plan moving forward. I'm hoping we, as a community, are capable of getting the religion section in better shape without the heavy hand of Official Mod Action. This is the first thread I'm making about this--I'll either bump this one, or make a series (hence the 1).

The goal is to coordinate with users who, like me, are interested in a religion section that's worth going to. If you're interested, this is the thread where I'm going to outline the plan moving forward.

I'm looking for users who are willing to help me. The users who are willing will need to pledge to be particularly nice and polite--despite their own frustration (something that can, of course, be difficult). And, by agreeing to work with me and agreeing to the onerous burden of ensuring particularly good behavior on their part, they will also be given a bit more latitude in terms of working with moderation to get users who can't, or won't, be productive to mend their ways.

The tentative name for these members who are willing to help out is "Religion Forum Marshal".

If you're one of these interested and willing members, please PM me with your interest. DO NOT post here. In some cases, I won't be able to accept some folks for the position, and THAT conversation will NOT be public. At the risk of belaboring the point: DO NOT post your interest here. Doing so is will, honestly, show a bit of reading issue on your part (no offense intended) and is going to make me think this it's not a good idea to have you be part of this initiative.

This position is going to have responsibility--but hopefully, it'll be worth it and in short order, we can turn things around here.

This is not going to be any kind of secret cabal--all people involved in this will be known. They will not have any additional authority and, indeed, will be held to a higher standard in order to be involved in the program.

I hope I haven't scared everyone who wants to help off. Please feel free to ask anything about this project here, and, as I said, PM me if you're interested.

Im offering.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:18:01 AM
At 10/13/2014 12:49:02 AM, Ajabi wrote:

Im offering.

Lol.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 2:04:14 AM
Howdy, folks.

Im offering.

I think literacy is a requirement. Please note the following: "If you're one of these interested and willing members, please PM me with your interest. DO NOT post here."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:58:13 AM
At 10/13/2014 2:04:14 AM, annanicole wrote:
Howdy, folks.

Im offering.

I think literacy is a requirement. Please note the following: "If you're one of these interested and willing members, please PM me with your interest. DO NOT post here."

My bad, had not read it fully. You could however have been the least bit more polite, or is that above your level?!?
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 5:36:05 AM
At 10/13/2014 3:58:13 AM, Ajabi wrote:
Howdy, folks.

Im offering.

My bad, had not read it fully. You could however have been the least bit more polite, or is that above your level?!?

My observation has been that she absolutely loves condescending to people.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 6:06:39 AM
Howdy, folks.

I think this is an excellent idea.

The biggest problem with the religion forum is the failure to follow nominal standards of civility. Things will get emotional, as for both sides, not only is it diameterically opposed, but deeply felt. Unfortuantely, when the discussion becomes critical, the ease with which people resort to personal attacks is ... overt and obvious.

Unfortunately, it does and will take some people with some authority to look into the situation and enforce standards. Right now, part of teh problem is the sectarian nature of the forum, where one side feel empowered to brand others trolls and insult them at will, but takes great offense when the same is sent in reverse - see th eimmediately preceeding post as an example.

Those types of comments do not help. I will also state openly, there are some posters here that simply have no intent on discussion. If the forum wants to be successful, it MUST remove those posters. Poor behavior must have consequences. And the 'heavy hand of the moderation team' is needed in cases of egregious and continuous violations.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 7:38:19 AM
Howdy, folks.

I don't know whether or not this will be a good idea. Only time will tell. I would, however, like to make two requests.

1 - Whenever the complaints start rolling in to this "Marshall," it would be only fair to equally investigate the tattle tale. The tattle tale that has bragged to me about what he has gotten done through the mods. I have a hard time believing it, but the person doing the reporting, in this case, is the biggest flame war monger on this site, and never has ANYTHING to contribute.Of course, he will think this is a good idea, and will likely volunteer to be "fair" and "polite."

2 - I would only ask that you have an equal representation of theistic and non-theistic individuals. Checks and balances would be nice, when one is tempted to put fairness aside, and "think" with their heart...
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:20:09 AM
Howdy, folks.

In other words, you're starting a new secret religion with rules for the members to conform to. Sounds just like another Christian denomination start-up.
VelCrow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:26:04 AM
At 10/13/2014 9:20:09 AM, bornofgod wrote:
Howdy, folks.

In other words, you're starting a new secret religion with rules for the members to conform to. Sounds just like another Christian denomination start-up.

Not sure what you are trying to imply, but I think the idea behind this is to reduce flame wars from over taking otherwise fairly good debate topics.
"Ah....So when god "Taught you" online, did he have a user name like "Darthmaulrules1337", and did he talk in all caps?" ~ Axonly

http://www.debate.org...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:55:19 AM
Howdy, folks.

Can you please say how it is anything like a religion?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:24:51 AM
At 10/13/2014 9:26:04 AM, VelCrow wrote:
Howdy, folks.

Not sure what you are trying to imply, but I think the idea behind this is to reduce flame wars from over taking otherwise fairly good debate topics.

I like the idea and have seen it tried before. My experience is that the marshal service usually gets weighted down with either too much atheism or theism. (Note I did not say too many atheists or theists) Some theists are what Christians call lukewarm and care too much about pleasing atheists, and some atheists are simply closet theists trying to be politically correct and will revert to being theists at the first sign of tragedy in their lives.

My only suggestions would be, bar the theists whose primary intention has obviously been to evangelize, bar the atheists who are anti-theists because their stated goal is to oppose and eradicate theism, and any poster who has previously used (in reference to another poster) any of the 7 vulgar words in English. And of course, any poster who thinks he's god, the voice of god, the liver of God, or dines with god every Tuesday night at the local IHOP.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:11:23 AM
Howdy, folks.

People who try control the world around them are totally deceived of the strong delusion we've been living in since man was put into this world. Your idea to control something that's impossible to control will wither away. Our invisible Creator is the one who planned and created everything in this age to confuse His people so this means He foils man's plans.

Psalm 33
8: Let all the earth fear the LORD, let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!
9: For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood forth.
10: The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nought; he frustrates the plans of the peoples.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:21:07 AM
At 10/13/2014 9:55:19 AM, SNP1 wrote:
Howdy, folks.

Can you please say how it is anything like a religion?

Religion starts with an idea to control others. This is where all governments of the world got their start. God's plan called the beast is how God teaches His people how to build illusions so that He can use them as analogies to teach us saints about the future and how He created us. So the beast is responsible for putting people into groups to force them to be more civil and learn how to build things together.

These people do NOT know they're being totally controlled by our invisible Creator through His plan called the beast. The leaders are usually arrogant people who believe they are creating these ideas to control people and make them more peaceful when our Creator planned to make this world unpeaceful through confusion. The confusion comes from not listening to His voice or obeying His commandments to learn about who they are in Him and how He created us within His thoughts.

What I'm telling you is that you're doing exactly what God planned for you to do but you believe it's your idea. I know that it's not your idea at all because the Lord gave you this idea through His beast. This is why I'm not against your post. I'm only giving you information that you're starting a new religion based on what the beast has given you to do.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:46:13 PM
I'm bumping this thread.

And small note:

In order to help clarify the idea of the positions, "Marshal" isn't really as accurate as I'd like, and I don't want people getting the wrong idea.

Ambassadors is the NEW tentative title.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 9:05:34 PM
At 10/13/2014 7:33:28 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/13/2014 7:30:26 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
bump
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:08:28 PM
maybe you should outline your plan before seeking recruits

Could be some aren't on the same page :o)
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:10:48 PM
At 10/13/2014 10:08:28 PM, mortsdor wrote:

just going to complain and try to get people that are annoying banned?..

I take it this gets done already, no?
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:12:43 PM
Howdy, folks.

Im offering.

You just broke a land speed record on being a d**k on a well meaning post. Good for you.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:45:44 PM
At 10/13/2014 10:06:13 PM, mortsdor wrote:
thought-police

bump

How did you get "thought police" out of what bladerunner typed?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 11:25:44 PM
religion forum Marshalls = religion forum Police.

and, while the idea may be to police simple etiquette, supposed infractions here can easily reflect, or be based in, real differences in belief.

for example if a, lets say none-too-bright, person is very concerned about a particular topic.
http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 1:23:22 AM
At 10/13/2014 7:38:19 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:
Howdy, folks.

I don't know whether or not this will be a good idea. Only time will tell.

I agree. This effort is an attempt to improve things, but only time will tell if it actually does. I'm very thankful to Bladerunner for helping lead this effort, but it's impossible to predict how much of an improvement this particular approach will have.

I would, however, like to make two requests.

1 - Whenever the complaints start rolling in to this "Marshall," it would be only fair to equally investigate the tattle tale. The tattle tale that has bragged to me about what he has gotten done through the mods. I have a hard time believing it, but the person doing the reporting, in this case, is the biggest flame war monger on this site, and never has ANYTHING to contribute.Of course, he will think this is a good idea, and will likely volunteer to be "fair" and "polite."

I'm pretty cautious about taking any actions without first knowing the entire story and every aspect surrounding it. Certainly, information about an incident, who it involves and who is reporting it would have to be made known to me for any final action to be taken. I have a very good grasp on exactly who is who, what their contributions are, their reputations etc, so I'm keen on exactly the types of issues you are referring to even without knowing specifically what/who you are referring to.

It's important to realize that the ambassadors (As Bladerunner renamed them, and how I'd rather refer to them) are delegates of Blade who is overseeing this effort at my request. While some details will still need to be worked out and likely adjusted as things move forward, their role is mainly to be observers and analysts (among potentially some other things). I'm hoping they can objectively identify problematic situations and in a succinct manner bring those issues to Bladeunner who, if necessary, will bring those issues to me. I'll likely still be aware of all the issues going on, but this sort of delegation, I'm hoping, will make it easier to deal with the many issues being brought up on a regular basis, allow us to more effectively deal with them, and better communicate standards and solutions to them.

2 - I would only ask that you have an equal representation of theistic and non-theistic individuals. Checks and balances would be nice, when one is tempted to put fairness aside, and "think" with their heart...

This is a given, due to the nature of the effort being attempted here. Bladerunner and I want the most diverse group we can possibly have. I have no horse in this forum, but I know Blade's only motivation is to be as objective and fair as possible to try and improve things. Blade and I have the same agenda here, to improve this forum. Neither of us gains anything by leaning to one side over the other when it comes to who is to blame for whatever and how we resolve things. I think it's wise to have several opinions from both sides when considering especially controversial things to maintain as much objectivity as possible.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 1:38:58 AM
Howdy, folks.

This is certainly a more accurate framing of it. To this point, I've been fairly lax on my approach to this forum especially, but lately problems have been greater and in larger numbers. I don't want moderation to become over-bearing, but I do require some help with this forum section and I think the approach Blade has designed may potentially improve some things.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 1:47:03 AM
At 10/13/2014 10:24:51 AM, ethang5 wrote:
Howdy, folks.

I like the idea and have seen it tried before. My experience is that the marshal service usually gets weighted down with either too much atheism or theism. (Note I did not say too many atheists or theists) Some theists are what Christians call lukewarm and care too much about pleasing atheists, and some atheists are simply closet theists trying to be politically correct and will revert to being theists at the first sign of tragedy in their lives.

My only suggestions would be, bar the theists whose primary intention has obviously been to evangelize, bar the atheists who are anti-theists because their stated goal is to oppose and eradicate theism, and any poster who has previously used (in reference to another poster) any of the 7 vulgar words in English. And of course, any poster who thinks he's god, the voice of god, the liver of God, or dines with god every Tuesday night at the local IHOP.

There are some very good points here which will naturally be addressed over time. I'm probably going to be impatient with things brought to my attention that seem to have a factional agenda attached to them. I trust that Bladerunner will weed these out and ambassadors that tend to do this will be as well.

As for the particular standards, and other things brought up, those are certainly worthy of a discussion in their own right in the appropriate place and time.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 1:51:18 AM
At 10/13/2014 10:10:48 PM, mortsdor wrote:
At 10/13/2014 10:08:28 PM, mortsdor wrote:

just going to complain and try to get people that are annoying banned?..

Those interested in helping will have the parameters and responsibilities well-defined as this moves forward. It will also be better explained in this (or another) thread when it begins more formally.

I'm sure there will be some that might try to push a particular agenda like you have described, but that wont get very far.

I take it this gets done already, no?

It does.
Debate.org Moderator
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 8:07:48 AM
At 10/14/2014 1:23:22 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I don't know whether or not this will be a good idea. Only time will tell.

I agree. This effort is an attempt to improve things, but only time will tell if it actually does. I'm very thankful to Bladerunner for helping lead this effort, but it's impossible to predict how much of an improvement this particular approach will have.

The phrase, "We're going to fix this place," hinges entirely upon the definition of "fix." No matter what is ever done, religion will be a HOTLY debated topic. Many people come to the forum and expect "debate." Unfortunately, many do not recognize the difference between "debate" and "discussion. It's unreasonable to believe that you or any other mod could monitor how people address one another on a regular basis (I've engaged in less-than-adult communication, myself).

I would, however, like to make two requests.

I'm pretty cautious about taking any actions without first knowing the entire story and every aspect surrounding it. Certainly, information about an incident, who it involves and who is reporting it would have to be made known to me for any final action to be taken. I have a very good grasp on exactly who is who, what their contributions are, their reputations etc, so I'm keen on exactly the types of issues you are referring to even without knowing specifically what/who you are referring to.

This makes me hopeful. Though I am not without my own guilt, to remove the provocations will certainly help.

It's important to realize that the ambassadors (As Bladerunner renamed them, and how I'd rather refer to them) are delegates of Blade who is overseeing this effort at my request. While some details will still need to be worked out and likely adjusted as things move forward, their role is mainly to be observers and analysts (among potentially some other things). I'm hoping they can objectively identify problematic situations and in a succinct manner bring those issues to Bladeunner who, if necessary, will bring those issues to me. I'll likely still be aware of all the issues going on, but this sort of delegation, I'm hoping, will make it easier to deal with the many issues being brought up on a regular basis, allow us to more effectively deal with them, and better communicate standards and solutions to them.

Hopefully, it will work out but, as I stated, only time will tell.

This is a given, due to the nature of the effort being attempted here. Bladerunner and I want the most diverse group we can possibly have. I have no horse in this forum, but I know Blade's only motivation is to be as objective and fair as possible to try and improve things. Blade and I have the same agenda here, to improve this forum. Neither of us gains anything by leaning to one side over the other when it comes to who is to blame for whatever and how we resolve things. I think it's wise to have several opinions from both sides when considering especially controversial things to maintain as much objectivity as possible.

While I would have neither the interest nor the time to indulge in such a role, I do have a couple of recommendations. I'll send those to you, privately. Unfortunately, when one is discussing a topic such as religion, objectivity is rarely, if ever, achieved. "Best effort" is as high as one can hope...
-----

-- Robert A Heinlein
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 8:22:26 AM
At 10/13/2014 10:24:51 AM, ethang5 wrote:
Howdy, folks.

As soon as this forum starts making up new rules to protect a few people who can't handle the Truth, there will be a controlling group left who will be dictating what everyone else thinks. If you want a dictatorship in this forum to make you conform to their rules, then I suggest you follow the future dictators who are organizing these changes.