Jump to topic:

Rate my case

brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 3:47:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Anyone with legal experience, feel free to weigh in.

So I was in a coma for two weeks. During this time, I was living with my parents. All of my personal property was at my parents' house -- my library, my writings (on my stepfather's pc), my journals, pictures, original artwork, etc.

During the coma, my stepfather died. He and my mother were and are Jehovah's Witnesses, respectively. I was raised as one until I left around the age of sixteen.

I have always had issues with the JWs for multiple reasons. As an "apostate," none of my friends or relatives who are "in the truth" are allowed to associate or even talk to me. Less idiots to talk to in one sense, but a life-changing phenomenon certainly. That is the least of my problems, though.

After my stepfather died, doctors told my mother that I would be a vegetable for the rest of my life. That she was emotionally distraught is an understatement.

So in comes my step-cousin, an "elder" (priest) in my mother's congregation. He proceeds, after asking my mother's permission to "clean the house," to throw away (or in some cases I suspect steal) whatever belonging of mine were not "godly" and might harm my mother. If you know me at all, you know that meant a lot of my belongings were either thrown away or stolen. Any and all books on science, sex, philosophy, or religion, personal pictures, journals, paintings... gone. And then any book with a title that wasn't "clean": Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World included, ostensibly because my cousin or one of his lemmings thought is was about how to conjure demons. There was a painting I had made of an Anarchist's "A" in circle; of course, the JWs thought it was a pentagram.

My first question when I limped into the house was "Where the f888 is my stuff?" I was told the whole sordid ordeal.

I want to sue the Jehovah's Witnesses. I want to sue them for mental and emotional abuse suffered while I was growing up, I want to sue for invasion of privacy, theft, destruction of private property, and slander.

Do I have a case?
Don't I take care of them all?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:00:49 PM
You can sue your mother and the doctors, but not the Jehovah's Witnesses. They're pretty much invulnerable.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:02:52 PM
At 4/13/2010 3:47:29 PM, brittwaller wrote:
I don't have any legal experience, just as a warning.

I want to sue for invasion of privacy, theft, destruction of private property.
You probably don't have a case here, but it really depends on some particulars that I can't be sure of. Here are the reasons you wouldn't have a case:
1. Living with mother, she was told you'd be vegetative for the rest of your life.
2. Mother allowed the JW's to take your stuff, presumably, so they cannot be held liable.

If your mother did not explicitly tell them they could, then you do have a case here. It would be hard to prove in court, though, if they claimed they received consent and that your mother just doesn't remember due to being distraught. Not sure how it would turn out.

and slander.
I don't think there's a case for this at all. I was in fact surprised when I saw it on the list of things.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:04:11 PM
If your mother gave your cousin permission, your mother is to blame. If your cousin stole your stuff without your mother's permission, your cousin is to blame. I don't see what fault the doctors are in, though. And suing the entire church would be suicide.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:04:17 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:00:49 PM, Kleptin wrote:
You can sue your mother and the doctors
I don't think he could sue mother, given that he was living with her and she'd been told he'd be in a vegetative state.

It would be difficult to sue doctor as well, if there was good documentation to back up the guy's diagnosis.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:05:41 PM
Ok, this makes me think of another interesting scenario. If a Jehovah's Witness dies during surgery because they refuse a blood transplant can the hospital be sued?
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:11:19 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:05:41 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Ok, this makes me think of another interesting scenario. If a Jehovah's Witness dies during surgery because they refuse a blood transplant can the hospital be sued?

No
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Tlhedglin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:12:53 PM

Nope.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:14:34 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:04:17 PM, omelet wrote:
I don't think he could sue mother, given that he was living with her and she'd been told he'd be in a vegetative state.

It would be difficult to sue doctor as well, if there was good documentation to back up the guy's diagnosis.

As of this point, those are the only two places where brit can hope to get any return. As for mom, it depends on who held the power of attorney while he was in the coma. If it's his mom, then game over.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:14:36 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:11:19 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

No

Ok, yea. that's what I thought. I suppose since it was the patient's personal choice the hospital isn't responsible.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:15:08 PM
I added slander because they told people that I was involved in spiritism -- a difficulty, since I do not believe in spirits.

There is enough history between the JWs and I that I think - no, I KNOW - that I was maliciously targeted.

I also realize that my mother is crucial in this, and liable. I told her when this happened that I wanted to sue. Her response was that she would not be able to talk to me again. I was not prepared for that then; I am now.

Her testimony could turn the entire case, but she is so far gone into the cult that I doubt her loyalty to me, and more than that her ability to speak truthfully about the JWs.

It is simply that the JWs are always touting all of the advances they have made in the area of civil rights. They are big on referencing the ACLU. Now I want the ACLU to skullfick them.

I realize the difficulty in suing the actual church ("the society" in cult-speak); but if one can sue the catholic church for physical abuse, why can I not sue for mental and emotional abuse (this is a different subject, going back to childhood)?

Thanks to all for responding.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:15:25 PM
That is really screwed up, britt. :/ You should call a lawyer and ask what rights you had to your possessions while under the coma.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:16:20 PM
This something like this happened with my friends grandmother, she was robbed of her money when JWs came for a house check up.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:18:59 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:14:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 4/13/2010 4:11:19 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

No

Ok, yea. that's what I thought. I suppose since it was the patient's personal choice the hospital isn't responsible.

I respect you, but this is the WRONG thread for questions like this. Please refrain.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:26:45 PM
This may be pertinent:

The coma was induced by the doctors. In fact, one week in I was awakened to be told that my stepdad had died, then put back under.

I had not really considered how that might change things until now actually.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:31:44 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:26:45 PM, brittwaller wrote:
This may be pertinent:

The coma was induced by the doctors. In fact, one week in I was awakened to be told that my stepdad had died, then put back under.

Disclaimer: Not a lawyer or versed in civil law.

It would seem to me that this fact would allow for a malpractice suit against the doctor if in fact he/she told your mother that you were going to be in a vegetative state.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:32:14 PM
This may be pertinent:

Wait, what? What was their reasoning for putting you back into a coma o.O
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:33:31 PM
I doubt your mother was legally responsible for housing any of your stuff.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:35:16 PM
This may be pertinent:

They induced the coma, and then they told your mom that you'd be in the coma indefinitely? Are we still missing something?

If it was your mother who had the rights to your stuff, and she didn't give consent for people to take your stuff, then you'll probably need her testimony or the testimony of another first-hand witness to stand any chance.

If she didn't, then it becomes difficult to pinpoint blame and you may not be able to muster enough evidence against either your mother OR the people who took your stuff [they claim she told them they could, she claims she didn't]. At least not in a criminal court - you might be able to get some reparations in a civil suit.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:36:09 PM
OK OK, hang on a sec.

Brit, we all support you, but you're going to have to give a nice, detailed account of what happened first so we don't miss out on big things :P

Start with how you came to be in a coma BEFORE your step dad died, and end with today.

brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:38:52 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:32:14 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
This may be pertinent:

Wait, what? What was their reasoning for putting you back into a coma o.O

From what I remember, it was thought that I would slip back into status epilepticus. I was only awake for a few minutes and had tubes here and there, could not speak or move (from muscular atrophy). Fun times.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:40:26 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:36:09 PM, Kleptin wrote:
OK OK, hang on a sec.

Brit, we all support you, but you're going to have to give a nice, detailed account of what happened first so we don't miss out on big things :P

Start with how you came to be in a coma BEFORE your step dad died, and end with today.

I understand. In the works.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:41:52 PM
Wow, this gives a whole new meaning to Christopher Hitchens book title.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 5:31:20 PM
At 4/13/2010 4:14:34 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 4/13/2010 4:04:17 PM, omelet wrote:

As of this point, those are the only two places where brit can hope to get any return. As for mom, it depends on who held the power of attorney while he was in the coma. If it's his mom, then game over.

this. as far as i know.

although telling your mom you will be in a vegetative state and then waking you up from the coma is a little o.O

still doctors have malpractice insurance up the wazoo, i doubt you will get anything from them. no doubt your mom or someone signed a release form somewhere absolving them...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 3:03:51 AM

So I was in a coma for two weeks. During this time, I was living with my parents. All of my personal property was at my parents' house -- my library, my writings (on my stepfather's pc), my journals, pictures, original artwork, etc.

During the coma, my stepfather died. He and my mother were and are Jehovah's Witnesses, respectively. I was raised as one until I left around the age of sixteen.

I have always had issues with the JWs for multiple reasons. As an "apostate," none of my friends or relatives who are "in the truth" are allowed to associate or even talk to me. Less idiots to talk to in one sense, but a life-changing phenomenon certainly. That is the least of my problems, though.

After my stepfather died, doctors told my mother that I would be a vegetable for the rest of my life. That she was emotionally distraught is an understatement.

So in comes my step-cousin, an "elder" (priest) in my mother's congregation. He proceeds, after asking my mother's permission to "clean the house," to throw away (or in some cases I suspect steal) whatever belonging of mine were not "godly" and might harm my mother. If you know me at all, you know that meant a lot of my belongings were either thrown away or stolen. Any and all books on science, sex, philosophy, or religion, personal pictures, journals, paintings... gone. And then any book with a title that wasn't "clean": Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World included, ostensibly because my cousin or one of his lemmings thought is was about how to conjure demons. There was a painting I had made of an Anarchist's "A" in circle; of course, the JWs thought it was a pentagram.

My first question when I limped into the house was "Where the f888 is my stuff?" I was told the whole sordid ordeal.

I want to sue the Jehovah's Witnesses. I want to sue them for mental and emotional abuse suffered while I was growing up, I want to sue for invasion of privacy, theft, destruction of private property, and slander.

Do I have a case?

We've heard this sob story before; it's only stuff, get over it. (as much as I desire to see someone 'stick' it to the JW's)
The Cross.. the Cross.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 5:31:41 AM
At 4/13/2010 4:15:08 PM, brittwaller wrote:
I added slander because they told people that I was involved in spiritism -- a difficulty, since I do not believe in spirits.

There is enough history between the JWs and I that I think - no, I KNOW - that I was maliciously targeted.

I also realize that my mother is crucial in this, and liable. I told her when this happened that I wanted to sue. Her response was that she would not be able to talk to me again. I was not prepared for that then; I am now.

Her testimony could turn the entire case, but she is so far gone into the cult that I doubt her loyalty to me, and more than that her ability to speak truthfully about the JWs.

It is simply that the JWs are always touting all of the advances they have made in the area of civil rights. They are big on referencing the ACLU. Now I want the ACLU to skullfick them.

I realize the difficulty in suing the actual church ("the society" in cult-speak); but if one can sue the catholic church for physical abuse, why can I not sue for mental and emotional abuse (this is a different subject, going back to childhood)?

Thanks to all for responding.

if your set on sueing them and recognize that case is difficult, drop the friviolous stuff like slander. its not realy worth the hassle to start with over them calling you a name.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 6:00:20 AM
At 4/15/2010 3:03:51 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Do I have a case?

We've heard this sob story before; it's only stuff, get over it. (as much as I desire to see someone 'stick' it to the JW's)

Maybe you missed the mental and emotional abuse charges I am wishing to bring?

Oh, right, you're a douche. Go suck jesus' balls or whatever it is you do.