Total Posts:60|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Creating Evil

Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Fly
Posts: 2,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 12:43:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
When I was a Christian, I saw evil as merely a perversion of good. I think I got the idea from CS Lewis, actually. Assuming existence is good, pure evil cannot exist-- it is self defeating in that sense. So, I just saw evil as the name we give to distorted/perverted/misguided good.

I always had a problem with the "all or nothing" theology of Hell, though. That is probably why the Catholic Church added the purgatory doctrine.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 1:02:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:43:05 AM, Fly wrote:
When I was a Christian, I saw evil as merely a perversion of good. I think I got the idea from CS Lewis, actually. Assuming existence is good, pure evil cannot exist-- it is self defeating in that sense. So, I just saw evil as the name we give to distorted/perverted/misguided good.

I always had a problem with the "all or nothing" theology of Hell, though. That is probably why the Catholic Church added the purgatory doctrine.

From where does one derive the premise that existence contraindicates evil?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
debateuser
Posts: 1,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 1:52:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

One important point here. Why didn't God just kill Satan. I mean there are stories in the Bible where some human nations were destroyed when God was angry with them. So in other words the alleged God wants evil to survive.
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 10:30:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Christians hate to read scriptures like this because they have to lie in order to interpret them in support of their loving deity ( imaginary god named Jesus ).
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 10:54:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
According to the Bible, who does more immoral actions: god or satan?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 2:59:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 10:54:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
According to the Bible, who does more immoral actions: god or satan?

God does more evil; no contest.
Satan kills 10 people after being goaded to do so by God. God kills millions, instigates wars, promotes slavery, rape, infanticide, genocide, etc.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Fly
Posts: 2,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 3:12:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 1:02:22 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:43:05 AM, Fly wrote:
When I was a Christian, I saw evil as merely a perversion of good. I think I got the idea from CS Lewis, actually. Assuming existence is good, pure evil cannot exist-- it is self defeating in that sense. So, I just saw evil as the name we give to distorted/perverted/misguided good.

I always had a problem with the "all or nothing" theology of Hell, though. That is probably why the Catholic Church added the purgatory doctrine.

From where does one derive the premise that existence contraindicates evil?

Good question. My examination of it, and I would think Lewis' as well, did not go that deep. It is merely an assumption based upon God existing-- which is good-- and Him bringing the universe and all else into existence-- also good?

But Lewis spent his whole life making the claims of the Bible more palatable to otherwise rational people. That forced him to talk around and massage various Biblical passages. That made him a very popular apologist among Christians with a tendency toward intellectualism.

But even his efforts couldn't hold back the tidal wave of intellectual dishonesty that I saw coming from religious apologetics... Actually, his efforts were a part of it, as I came to realize...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 3:16:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Thing is Beastt, what is really evil? Could it be, no Presence of God? When God made Heaven and earth was He Present or within the creation He made?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 3:20:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

God created Lucifer who was perfect and innocent untill he defied God. Lucifer means "the shining one", Satan means "adversary". Evil is what by choice is turned away from or against God. You are evil. How do you like it?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 3:28:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

God created Lucifer who was perfect and innocent untill he defied God. Lucifer means "the shining one", Satan means "adversary". Evil is what by choice is turned away from or against God. You are evil. How do you like it?

You resemble Satan rather than God because you are adversarial to God. You think you are smarter than the devil? You sure seem to think you are smarter than God. The truth is you are the same as me, just about as dumb as a rock, if there is no God.

God created Lucifer. Lucifer became Satan by his own choice. God is evil to you because you are agaisnt God and that is the only way you can see God, you can only see Him as evil. Denying He is there is evil. You are blind in the evil of your own heart.
You are evil. How do you like it? I suppose you will say you are good. I say if you were good, how come you die like a stinking dog and can't get yoursefl out of it any more than you can get anybody else out of it? You are wonderful, you are good, you are great.......yeah, right. Uh huh. Sure. I believe you.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 3:35:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:43:05 AM, Fly wrote:
When I was a Christian, I saw evil as merely a perversion of good. I think I got the idea from CS Lewis, actually. Assuming existence is good, pure evil cannot exist-- it is self defeating in that sense. So, I just saw evil as the name we give to distorted/perverted/misguided good.

I always had a problem with the "all or nothing" theology of Hell, though. That is probably why the Catholic Church added the purgatory doctrine.

CS Lewis was a heretic and if you are not saved, you never were a christian no matter what you said. You may have been a fake Christian. You may have fooled yourself into thinking you were a Christian. You were no more a christian then than you are now. I was a big CS Lewis fan untill I realized how un-biblical his stuff is. He is skillfull at weaving a long line of thinking so you don't realize you are wandering away from the truth.
Fly
Posts: 2,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 3:50:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 3:35:38 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:43:05 AM, Fly wrote:
When I was a Christian, I saw evil as merely a perversion of good. I think I got the idea from CS Lewis, actually. Assuming existence is good, pure evil cannot exist-- it is self defeating in that sense. So, I just saw evil as the name we give to distorted/perverted/misguided good.

I always had a problem with the "all or nothing" theology of Hell, though. That is probably why the Catholic Church added the purgatory doctrine.

CS Lewis was a heretic and if you are not saved, you never were a christian no matter what you said. You may have been a fake Christian. You may have fooled yourself into thinking you were a Christian. You were no more a christian then than you are now. I was a big CS Lewis fan untill I realized how un-biblical his stuff is. He is skillfull at weaving a long line of thinking so you don't realize you are wandering away from the truth.

You have a tendency to answer questions no one is asking, and you are crass to boot. That is uncalled for. If your desire is to be as lonely as possible, in this world and the next (theoretically), just keep doing what it is you do...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 5:08:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 3:20:19 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

God created Lucifer who was perfect and innocent untill he defied God. Lucifer means "the shining one", Satan means "adversary". Evil is what by choice is turned away from or against God. You are evil. How do you like it?

Turning away from that which creates evil, promotes evil, and commits evil is only being contrary to evil. So I'm contrary to evil.

And don't forget that the Bible claims that God is omniscient - he knows everything that will ever happen, and always has. Yet he created Lucifer full-well knowing that he would turn against God. God created evil full-well knowing that it will be his supposed battle against evil which would lead him to create Hell, to destroy all live on Earth - save the Ark - and to send two-thirds of the entire human population to eternal torment. Christians love the idea that God created everything. But that means both good and bad/ beneficial and evil. So God is responsible for all evil, or he didn't create everything. Take your pick.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 5:12:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 2:59:41 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/15/2014 10:54:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
According to the Bible, who does more immoral actions: god or satan?

God does more evil; no contest.
Satan kills 10 people after being goaded to do so by God. God kills millions, instigates wars, promotes slavery, rape, infanticide, genocide, etc.

Was creating Satan really evil? :-)

It's a weak devil's advocate, I know..
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 5:13:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 3:28:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

God created Lucifer who was perfect and innocent untill he defied God. Lucifer means "the shining one", Satan means "adversary". Evil is what by choice is turned away from or against God. You are evil. How do you like it?

You resemble Satan rather than God because you are adversarial to God. You think you are smarter than the devil? You sure seem to think you are smarter than God. The truth is you are the same as me, just about as dumb as a rock, if there is no God.

God created Lucifer. Lucifer became Satan by his own choice. God is evil to you because you are agaisnt God and that is the only way you can see God, you can only see Him as evil. Denying He is there is evil. You are blind in the evil of your own heart.
You are evil. How do you like it? I suppose you will say you are good. I say if you were good, how come you die like a stinking dog and can't get yoursefl out of it any more than you can get anybody else out of it? You are wonderful, you are good, you are great.......yeah, right. Uh huh. Sure. I believe you.

I've heard the story. I've read it, I've seem various interpretations, and I understand it. What you don't seem to understand is that by the very claims of the Bible, Satan is far less evil than God. Turning away from evil is not an evil act. So you can call me "evil" all you like as you proclaim your love for the most malevolent and evil entity yet to emerge from the warped mind of primitive barbaric men.

You read that God is loving and assume that to be true. You ignore his anger, his vengeance, his barbarity, his misogyny, his bigotry, his misdirected disappointment toward his own "design". And you ignore reality which shows all of the silly fairytales to which you subscribe to be hilariously blatant fiction.

And while you call me "evil", I live a better, cleaner and more rational life than the vast majority of Christians - you included.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2014 5:17:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 5:12:58 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/15/2014 2:59:41 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/15/2014 10:54:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
According to the Bible, who does more immoral actions: god or satan?

God does more evil; no contest.
Satan kills 10 people after being goaded to do so by God. God kills millions, instigates wars, promotes slavery, rape, infanticide, genocide, etc.

Was creating Satan really evil? :-)

It's a weak devil's advocate, I know..

By the stories of the Bible alone, it was perhaps the least evil act of God. He at least produced a voice of caution against following the barbaric standards of a tyrannical, power-crazed dictator.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:03:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 3:50:25 PM, Fly wrote:
At 10/15/2014 3:35:38 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:43:05 AM, Fly wrote:
When I was a Christian, I saw evil as merely a perversion of good. I think I got the idea from CS Lewis, actually. Assuming existence is good, pure evil cannot exist-- it is self defeating in that sense. So, I just saw evil as the name we give to distorted/perverted/misguided good.

I always had a problem with the "all or nothing" theology of Hell, though. That is probably why the Catholic Church added the purgatory doctrine.

CS Lewis was a heretic and if you are not saved, you never were a christian no matter what you said. You may have been a fake Christian. You may have fooled yourself into thinking you were a Christian. You were no more a christian then than you are now. I was a big CS Lewis fan untill I realized how un-biblical his stuff is. He is skillfull at weaving a long line of thinking so you don't realize you are wandering away from the truth.

You have a tendency to answer questions no one is asking, and you are crass to boot. That is uncalled for. If your desire is to be as lonely as possible, in this world and the next (theoretically), just keep doing what it is you do.

You insult my Saviour when you say you were a Christian. You made a public statment open to reponse. Of course you find my response "crass", because you are crass in your belief and crass in saying you were a christian as if you are better than a christian now. You never were a christian no matter what you said or did. I'm not concerned about the favor of your company, if you do not like me and you do not respond or talk to me, I will not be lonely. I'm never alone and I am content. If you desire to find yourself in the fire of Hell (which really, I doubt you desire it but that's where you are heading) just keep doing what you do. You are not a christian because you never were a christian. Catholic, maybe, but catholics are no more christian than you are now.

You have a grudge against God and that is why you made this self-promoting thread start trying to fool yourself and others into believing you are better than a christian.
Go on with your crass.
Fly
Posts: 2,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:46:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The joy of Christ's salvation is apparent in your writing.

Have a nice day!
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:53:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Christians have to reject the scriptures that I point out to them because it makes them all liars.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 10:56:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 10:54:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
According to the Bible, who does more immoral actions: god or satan?

Jeremiah 32
23: and they entered and took possession of it. But they did not obey thy voice or walk in thy law; they did nothing of all thou didst command them to do. Therefore thou hast made all this evil come upon them.

Jeremiah 44
23: It is because you burned incense, and because you sinned against the LORD and did not obey the voice of the LORD or walk in his law and in his statutes and in his testimonies, that this evil has befallen you, as at this day."

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 11:33:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/16/2014 10:56:49 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 10/15/2014 10:54:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
According to the Bible, who does more immoral actions: god or satan?

Jeremiah 32
23: and they entered and took possession of it. But they did not obey thy voice or walk in thy law; they did nothing of all thou didst command them to do. Therefore thou hast made all this evil come upon them.

Jeremiah 44
23: It is because you burned incense, and because you sinned against the LORD and did not obey the voice of the LORD or walk in his law and in his statutes and in his testimonies, that this evil has befallen you, as at this day."

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

Yea? I could have looked these up on my own, but for what purpose? Maybe you could explain your thought process behind posting these verses.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 11:53:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/16/2014 11:33:01 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/16/2014 10:56:49 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 10/15/2014 10:54:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
According to the Bible, who does more immoral actions: god or satan?

Jeremiah 32
23: and they entered and took possession of it. But they did not obey thy voice or walk in thy law; they did nothing of all thou didst command them to do. Therefore thou hast made all this evil come upon them.

Jeremiah 44
23: It is because you burned incense, and because you sinned against the LORD and did not obey the voice of the LORD or walk in his law and in his statutes and in his testimonies, that this evil has befallen you, as at this day."

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

Yea? I could have looked these up on my own, but for what purpose? Maybe you could explain your thought process behind posting these verses.

Just to show you that our Creator already has confessed through His prophets that He's the author of all evil in the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil", which was His plan to keep His people deceived while using His prophets and saints to teach us who we are in Him and let us know what's going on.

There's nothing to worry about my friend.
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 2:20:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Evil is nothing. It is like darkness or emptiness. It is what remains when good is not present. People want to reject God (=good, truth and love) therefore we have this godless world full of evil. Luckily this is just short lesson so that we could learn what evil means and get out of godless reality. Unfortunately it seems to me that most people love more evil than good and I think that is why they get the place where they can be eternally separated from God (from good, truth and love).
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 3:37:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/16/2014 2:20:36 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Evil is nothing. It is like darkness or emptiness. It is what remains when good is not present. People want to reject God (=good, truth and love) therefore we have this godless world full of evil. Luckily this is just short lesson so that we could learn what evil means and get out of godless reality. Unfortunately it seems to me that most people love more evil than good and I think that is why they get the place where they can be eternally separated from God (from good, truth and love).

Open your Bible. Read.
God is not equal to good, truth and love... not at all. In fact, if you read about Lot and his family, it's obvious that the God of the Bible toys with people the way a sadistic child might treat insects. God promotes rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities. And NO, that is NOT a problem of context. Here is the challenge that Christians can never answer when they try to play the "context card"; show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to kill infants. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to engage in slavery, and beat slaves to death. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to rape women.

I've presented dozens of Christians with that challenge and they don't answer because they can't answer. And they can't answer because there is no such context. The God of the Bible is a barbaric sadist, not "good, truth and love".

Secondly, evil is not the absence of good. That's just silly. Find an isolated region of space without any life. Without life, there can be no good or evil because there are no behaviors at all. By your definition, it would make this region evil. Yet it is not evil, as evil requires intention and no such intention exists.

Good and evil are simply perspectives. The very same act one sees as good from one perspective, can be seen as evil with nothing more than a change of perspective. The act is exactly the same. You can see this in the stories of the Bible, where God expresses his anger at those who enslave "his people", yet tells "his people", that they may take slaves. The only difference is the perspective. We see this in wars, and specifically, in movies about wars. In fact, let's take a look at the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Americans are prone to promoting "the troops" and glorifying "our veterans". And yet, the wars themselves were deemed to be illegal by the U.N. before the first sorties were even launched. So these troops - while they are following the orders they are sworn to follow - are engaging in an illegal military attack of a people who have done nothing to warrant that attack. So from the average American perspective, our troops are brave, honest, courageous, good representatives of American freedoms. But from a more objective perspective, they are hired killers, engaging in illegal activities, leading to the deaths of innocent people ("murder"), and the only difference between one characterization of their behaviors and the other, is the perspective.

Would you feel the same way if the U.N. told China that a military attack on the U.S. was unwarranted, and therefore illegal, and yet, China proceeded and launched bombing raids on multiple large U.S. cities, destroyed key governmental buildings in and around Washington D.C., occupied American cities and streets, and inserted politicians they selected to run our country? It's all just a matter of perspective.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 5:48:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/16/2014 3:37:50 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/16/2014 2:20:36 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Evil is nothing. It is like darkness or emptiness. It is what remains when good is not present. People want to reject God (=good, truth and love) therefore we have this godless world full of evil. Luckily this is just short lesson so that we could learn what evil means and get out of godless reality. Unfortunately it seems to me that most people love more evil than good and I think that is why they get the place where they can be eternally separated from God (from good, truth and love).

Open your Bible. Read.
God is not equal to good, truth and love... not at all. In fact, if you read about Lot and his family, it's obvious that the God of the Bible toys with people the way a sadistic child might treat insects. God promotes rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities. And NO, that is NOT a problem of context. Here is the challenge that Christians can never answer when they try to play the "context card"; show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to kill infants. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to engage in slavery, and beat slaves to death. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to rape women.

I've presented dozens of Christians with that challenge and they don't answer because they can't answer.

To the contrary, it has been answered plenty of times. You've been asked a dozen times to find us some examples of this "rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities" in the entire NT. Land's sakes, you have 27 books from which to choose. You haven't done it yet.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 6:09:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/16/2014 5:48:11 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/16/2014 3:37:50 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/16/2014 2:20:36 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Evil is nothing. It is like darkness or emptiness. It is what remains when good is not present. People want to reject God (=good, truth and love) therefore we have this godless world full of evil. Luckily this is just short lesson so that we could learn what evil means and get out of godless reality. Unfortunately it seems to me that most people love more evil than good and I think that is why they get the place where they can be eternally separated from God (from good, truth and love).

Open your Bible. Read.
God is not equal to good, truth and love... not at all. In fact, if you read about Lot and his family, it's obvious that the God of the Bible toys with people the way a sadistic child might treat insects. God promotes rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities. And NO, that is NOT a problem of context. Here is the challenge that Christians can never answer when they try to play the "context card"; show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to kill infants. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to engage in slavery, and beat slaves to death. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to rape women.

I've presented dozens of Christians with that challenge and they don't answer because they can't answer.

To the contrary, it has been answered plenty of times. You've been asked a dozen times to find us some examples of this "rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities" in the entire NT. Land's sakes, you have 27 books from which to choose. You haven't done it yet.

I am beginning to believe beastt isn"t that stupid, and really doesn"t believe a thing it says. Beastt is starting to sound like a broken record.
Fly
Posts: 2,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 6:45:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/16/2014 5:48:11 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/16/2014 3:37:50 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/16/2014 2:20:36 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Evil is nothing. It is like darkness or emptiness. It is what remains when good is not present. People want to reject God (=good, truth and love) therefore we have this godless world full of evil. Luckily this is just short lesson so that we could learn what evil means and get out of godless reality. Unfortunately it seems to me that most people love more evil than good and I think that is why they get the place where they can be eternally separated from God (from good, truth and love).

Open your Bible. Read.
God is not equal to good, truth and love... not at all. In fact, if you read about Lot and his family, it's obvious that the God of the Bible toys with people the way a sadistic child might treat insects. God promotes rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities. And NO, that is NOT a problem of context. Here is the challenge that Christians can never answer when they try to play the "context card"; show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to kill infants. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to engage in slavery, and beat slaves to death. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to rape women.

I've presented dozens of Christians with that challenge and they don't answer because they can't answer.

To the contrary, it has been answered plenty of times. You've been asked a dozen times to find us some examples of this "rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities" in the entire NT. Land's sakes, you have 27 books from which to choose. You haven't done it yet.

Right-- the Old Testament is, like, sooo unhip now. So Beastt must limit himself to just the New Testament according to you? Anything else you'd prefer, like avoiding certain page numbers? Or staying away from a certain book in the NT?

Are you familiar with the Book of Revelation? It's ah... pretty "dramatic."
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2014 7:10:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/16/2014 6:45:34 PM, Fly wrote:
At 10/16/2014 5:48:11 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/16/2014 3:37:50 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/16/2014 2:20:36 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 10/15/2014 12:17:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
Many Christians insist there God can do no evil and also claim that the Bible is the "word of God". The Bible claims that God created Satan, Hell and Evil. So is it not evil to create that which is evil... and to create evil itself?

Evil is nothing. It is like darkness or emptiness. It is what remains when good is not present. People want to reject God (=good, truth and love) therefore we have this godless world full of evil. Luckily this is just short lesson so that we could learn what evil means and get out of godless reality. Unfortunately it seems to me that most people love more evil than good and I think that is why they get the place where they can be eternally separated from God (from good, truth and love).

Open your Bible. Read.
God is not equal to good, truth and love... not at all. In fact, if you read about Lot and his family, it's obvious that the God of the Bible toys with people the way a sadistic child might treat insects. God promotes rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities. And NO, that is NOT a problem of context. Here is the challenge that Christians can never answer when they try to play the "context card"; show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to kill infants. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to engage in slavery, and beat slaves to death. Show me the context in which it is moral, loving and kind to rape women.

I've presented dozens of Christians with that challenge and they don't answer because they can't answer.

To the contrary, it has been answered plenty of times. You've been asked a dozen times to find us some examples of this "rape, slavery, genocide, honor killings, and dozens of other atrocities" in the entire NT. Land's sakes, you have 27 books from which to choose. You haven't done it yet.

Right-- the Old Testament is, like, sooo unhip now. So Beastt must limit himself to just the New Testament according to you? Anything else you'd prefer, like avoiding certain page numbers? Or staying away from a certain book in the NT?

Are you familiar with the Book of Revelation? It's ah... pretty "dramatic."

I didn't say the OT was "unhip". In fact, I've never heard anyone say such a thing (at least no intelligent person).
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."