Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Can Christians be prochoice?

Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:33:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Quite easily, just like they can be pro death penalty.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
ethang5
Posts: 4,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.
Thanksfornotraping
Posts: 238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:23:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.

Umm, why were you "wrong" when you were pro-choice? Why don't you want people to have control over their own bodies?
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:31:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 2:23:49 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.

Umm, why were you "wrong" when you were pro-choice? Why don't you want people to have control over their own bodies?

I was wrong to support the murder of unborn children. I am all for bodily control before conception, but once the baby is conceived, it has rights. If people do not want a baby, they need to use contraception or not have sex.
Fly
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:34:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
When I was a "fake Christian," I was certainly pro-life, but I can certainly see how a Christian could be pro-choice politically. One could argue that one's privacy with their doctor is a good thing; that self-determination over one's body is a good thing.

Also, it is possible for a pro-choice, planned family environment to result in less actual abortions occurring. It is a bit tricky to fully explain, but many pro-life advocates tend to be against open access to birth control, comprehensive sex education, and empirical evidence-- namely, that abstinence only education has shown to be less effective than more comprehensive sex education.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Thanksfornotraping
Posts: 238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:35:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 2:31:12 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:23:49 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.

Umm, why were you "wrong" when you were pro-choice? Why don't you want people to have control over their own bodies?

I was wrong to support the murder of unborn children. I am all for bodily control before conception, but once the baby is conceived, it has rights. If people do not want a baby, they need to use contraception or not have sex.

You DO know there is no such thing as an "unborn child", right? Why should we let a clump of parasitic cells have more rights than ourselves?
SitaraMusica
Posts: 1,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:38:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 2:35:30 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:31:12 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:23:49 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.

Umm, why were you "wrong" when you were pro-choice? Why don't you want people to have control over their own bodies?

I was wrong to support the murder of unborn children. I am all for bodily control before conception, but once the baby is conceived, it has rights. If people do not want a baby, they need to use contraception or not have sex.

You DO know there is no such thing as an "unborn child", right? Why should we let a clump of parasitic cells have more rights than ourselves?
You are wrong. The unborn child is the same at fertilization as it is at birth. Therefore, it is a baby.
Thanksfornotraping
Posts: 238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 2:40:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 2:38:22 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:35:30 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:31:12 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:23:49 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
At 10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.

Umm, why were you "wrong" when you were pro-choice? Why don't you want people to have control over their own bodies?

I was wrong to support the murder of unborn children. I am all for bodily control before conception, but once the baby is conceived, it has rights. If people do not want a baby, they need to use contraception or not have sex.

You DO know there is no such thing as an "unborn child", right? Why should we let a clump of parasitic cells have more rights than ourselves?
You are wrong. The unborn child is the same at fertilization as it is at birth. Therefore, it is a baby.

You are, of course, 100% wrong. A clump of cells =/= a self-sustaining human being that can breath on its own. Go ask a medical doctor about that if you don't believe me.
FMAlchemist
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 5:42:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

I'm my country there is a evangelical church leader that is pro-choice called Edir Macedo,he is the creator of the IURD(Acronym for Universal Church of the Kingdom of God) church.It is one of the biggest churches here.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 8:21:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.

No Christian has ever listened to the voice of God and obeyed ALL His commandments so it makes no difference what you believe.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2014 10:59:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

Yes. You can be a pro choice christian if you focus on the situation and what trimester the baby is in.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 3:44:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not about anything. Being a Christian means believing what you're told to believe. You're not supposed to think, not supposed to arrive at you're own conclusions, and not allowed to pay attention to the importance of evidence. If you want to know what to think, the Bible or your clergy will tell you what to think, believe, do, and not do.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 3:55:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 3:44:54 AM, Beastt wrote:
Not about anything. Being a Christian means believing what you're told to believe. You're not supposed to think, not supposed to arrive at you're own conclusions, and not allowed to pay attention to the importance of evidence. If you want to know what to think, the Bible or your clergy will tell you what to think, believe, do, and not do.

That's ridiculous. A decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers of the last 500 years were Christians. Certainly regarding some matters the Bible speaks to us as Christians, but there is a much broader area of expedients with which the Bible is not concerned at all.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:24:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 3:55:14 AM, annanicole wrote:

That's ridiculous. A decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers of the last 500 years were Christians.

This is what we call Euro centrism. You only think this because you only pay attention to the achievements of Europe. Not that I blame you, but you simply don't know enough about the achievements of other cultures/peoples to say that Christians are responsible for the majority of great minds.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:29:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

God actually supports abortion. Numbers: "may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

https://www.biblegateway.com...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 5:33:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 4:29:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

God actually supports abortion. Numbers: "may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

https://www.biblegateway.com...

If I assembled a council of poetry aficionados and they combed through poetry from a 1,500-year period, picked out what they liked best, and then came to a general - but not unanimous - agreement to claim it was the "word of Rumpelstiltskin", would it then become the words of Rumpelstiltskin? Would it be accurate to look to the claims in the poetry and say "Rumpelstiltskin actually supports... "?

Nothing in the Bible came from anyone but men. And the men who selected it - hundreds to thousands of years after much of it was written, didn't even agree on what was supposedly "divinely inspired" and what wasn't. How does one even suggest that these writings are - IN ANY WAY - the words of God, when we know for a fact that they're the words of men, selected by men, altered by men, and dubbed "the word of God", only by men?

God has never said a single thing about abortion.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 5:53:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 5:33:16 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:29:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

God actually supports abortion. Numbers: "may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

https://www.biblegateway.com...

If I assembled a council of poetry aficionados and they combed through poetry from a 1,500-year period, picked out what they liked best, and then came to a general - but not unanimous - agreement to claim it was the "word of Rumpelstiltskin", would it then become the words of Rumpelstiltskin? Would it be accurate to look to the claims in the poetry and say "Rumpelstiltskin actually supports... "?

Yes.

Nothing in the Bible came from anyone but men. And the men who selected it - hundreds to thousands of years after much of it was written, didn't even agree on what was supposedly "divinely inspired" and what wasn't. How does one even suggest that these writings are - IN ANY WAY - the words of God, when we know for a fact that they're the words of men, selected by men, altered by men, and dubbed "the word of God", only by men?

But the Bible said that God wrote the Bible through men. Would God lie? The Bible says God doesn't lie. Therefore the Bible is truth, check and mate, atheist scum.

God has never said a single thing about abortion.

The link above gives a formula for performing abortions. If God didn't want abortions to happen why would he put it in his book? The video will help better explain to you the true nature of God and abortion, you sinful hell bound heathen.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 7:06:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

It is absolutely impossible for Christians to be pro choice, assuming we are talking abortion here, because God despises it, as does his son, therefore Christians are compelled to do so also.

Any who say otherwise are betraying the faith they profess to follow.

It really is as simple as that.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 10:31:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 5:53:30 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 5:33:16 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:29:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

God actually supports abortion. Numbers: "may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

https://www.biblegateway.com...
by
If I assembled a council of poetry aficionados and they combed through poetry from a 1,500-year period, picked out what they liked best, and then came to a general - but not unanimous - agreement to claim it was the "word of Rumpelstiltskin", would it then become the words of Rumpelstiltskin? Would it be accurate to look to the claims in the poetry and say "Rumpelstiltskin actually supports... "?

Yes.

Nothing in the Bible came from anyone but men. And the men who selected it - hundreds to thousands of years after much of it was written, didn't even agree on what was supposedly "divinely inspired" and what wasn't. How does one even suggest that these writings are - IN ANY WAY - the words of God, when we know for a fact that they're the words of men, selected by men, altered by men, and dubbed "the word of God", only by men?

But the Bible said that God wrote the Bible through men. Would God lie? The Bible says God doesn't lie. Therefore the Bible is truth, check and mate, atheist scum.

God has never said a single thing about abortion.

The link above gives a formula for performing abortions. If God didn't want abortions to happen why would he put it in his book? The video will help better explain to you the true nature of God and abortion, you sinful hell bound heathen.



And you somehow think you're being logical to say that if men attribute the writings of men to God, then it's the words of God? This explains why you can't tell the difference between a ridiculous fairytale and reality.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:45:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 4:24:41 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 3:55:14 AM, annanicole wrote:

That's ridiculous. A decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers of the last 500 years were Christians.

This is what we call Euro centrism. You only think this because you only pay attention to the achievements of Europe. Not that I blame you, but you simply don't know enough about the achievements of other cultures/peoples to say that Christians are responsible for the majority of great minds.

I believe I covered that by saying "a decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers".
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 12:12:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 11:45:45 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:24:41 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 3:55:14 AM, annanicole wrote:

That's ridiculous. A decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers of the last 500 years were Christians.

This is what we call Euro centrism. You only think this because you only pay attention to the achievements of Europe. Not that I blame you, but you simply don't know enough about the achievements of other cultures/peoples to say that Christians are responsible for the majority of great minds.

I believe I covered that by saying "a decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers".

Except they were not Christians, they were Apostates. This is where you get it so wrong in your admiration of men.

How did they fit into 1 Corinthians 1:26-29, for instance.

1 Corinthians 1:26-29
ASV(i) 26 For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; 28 and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, yea and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are: 29 that no flesh should glory before God.

God cannot use people like that because, like you, they are too full of themselves, which is why he chooses morons like me as the scripture says.

Like you, they are full of the wisdom of this world, which is foolishness with God.

Like you they rely on themselves not on God.

No, they were about as far from Christian as any could be, and God will count them as more reprehensible than Atheists or adherents of false religions because thy had the bible in their hands, as the Pharisees did, and like the Pharisees they twisted it, and abused it, just like you do.

No Anna they were not Christian. Could not possibly be Christian because they broke almost every rule of Christianity.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 12:15:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 10:31:58 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/23/2014 5:53:30 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 5:33:16 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:29:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

God actually supports abortion. Numbers: "may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

https://www.biblegateway.com...
by
If I assembled a council of poetry aficionados and they combed through poetry from a 1,500-year period, picked out what they liked best, and then came to a general - but not unanimous - agreement to claim it was the "word of Rumpelstiltskin", would it then become the words of Rumpelstiltskin? Would it be accurate to look to the claims in the poetry and say "Rumpelstiltskin actually supports... "?

Yes.

Nothing in the Bible came from anyone but men. And the men who selected it - hundreds to thousands of years after much of it was written, didn't even agree on what was supposedly "divinely inspired" and what wasn't. How does one even suggest that these writings are - IN ANY WAY - the words of God, when we know for a fact that they're the words of men, selected by men, altered by men, and dubbed "the word of God", only by men?

But the Bible said that God wrote the Bible through men. Would God lie? The Bible says God doesn't lie. Therefore the Bible is truth, check and mate, atheist scum.

God has never said a single thing about abortion.

The link above gives a formula for performing abortions. If God didn't want abortions to happen why would he put it in his book? The video will help better explain to you the true nature of God and abortion, you sinful hell bound heathen.



And you somehow think you're being logical to say that if men attribute the writings of men to God, then it's the words of God? This explains why you can't tell the difference between a ridiculous fairytale and reality.

However scripture is the words of God not of men, and it has proven it's credentials to be classed as such over and again to those not too blind to see.

The trouble is that it is you who lives in a fantasy world which chooses to discount the evidence and say "what evidence" when it is literally self-evident.

And the biggest fantasy of all is that there is no evidence.
Karmanator
Posts: 142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 12:16:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 2:18:29 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
At 10/19/2014 11:37:22 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean can a Christian believe the choice, (whether he believes it is good or bad) should be left up to the woman, then yes, a Christian can be prochoice.

Did you think your prochoice position contradicted your Christian beliefs?

Yes. I was wrong when I was prochoice, but God forgave me.

So you answered your own question. Christians are allowed to sin and shouldn't really affect their status. Of course we should aim to avoid hypocrisy at the very least.
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 12:18:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 12:12:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 10/23/2014 11:45:45 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:24:41 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 3:55:14 AM, annanicole wrote:

That's ridiculous. A decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers of the last 500 years were Christians.

This is what we call Euro centrism. You only think this because you only pay attention to the achievements of Europe. Not that I blame you, but you simply don't know enough about the achievements of other cultures/peoples to say that Christians are responsible for the majority of great minds.

I believe I covered that by saying "a decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers".

Except they were not Christians, they were Apostates. This is where you get it so wrong in your admiration of men.

You mean they claimed thus and such happened in 1874? No, wait, 1878. Oops, got that wrong. It was 1914. No, 1915, No, 1918. Oh, to heck with the teens. We'll go for 1925. No, 1926, No, 1935. So much for that. "Don't marry or get an education: you won't need it." Maybe it was 1975.

Talk about APOSTATE, then talk about "forgive us: we haven't gotten anything right, and we redefine every word or phrase that gets in our way, then we issue a perversion of the scriptures to teach our nonsense."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 12:45:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 12:15:28 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 10/23/2014 10:31:58 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/23/2014 5:53:30 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 5:33:16 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:29:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

God actually supports abortion. Numbers: "may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

https://www.biblegateway.com...
by
If I assembled a council of poetry aficionados and they combed through poetry from a 1,500-year period, picked out what they liked best, and then came to a general - but not unanimous - agreement to claim it was the "word of Rumpelstiltskin", would it then become the words of Rumpelstiltskin? Would it be accurate to look to the claims in the poetry and say "Rumpelstiltskin actually supports... "?

Yes.

Nothing in the Bible came from anyone but men. And the men who selected it - hundreds to thousands of years after much of it was written, didn't even agree on what was supposedly "divinely inspired" and what wasn't. How does one even suggest that these writings are - IN ANY WAY - the words of God, when we know for a fact that they're the words of men, selected by men, altered by men, and dubbed "the word of God", only by men?

But the Bible said that God wrote the Bible through men. Would God lie? The Bible says God doesn't lie. Therefore the Bible is truth, check and mate, atheist scum.

God has never said a single thing about abortion.

The link above gives a formula for performing abortions. If God didn't want abortions to happen why would he put it in his book? The video will help better explain to you the true nature of God and abortion, you sinful hell bound heathen.



And you somehow think you're being logical to say that if men attribute the writings of men to God, then it's the words of God? This explains why you can't tell the difference between a ridiculous fairytale and reality.

However scripture is the words of God not of men, and it has proven it's credentials to be classed as such over and again to those not too blind to see.
This is not only incorrect, but borders on an out-right lie! We know enough about the history of scripture to be certain that every word was written by men. The ONLY claim any of them have to being the "words of God", are the claims of the men who wrote them, and/or, the claims of the men who selected them. And it doesn't take a genius to understand the extreme bias and lack of credibility in both cases.

The trouble is that it is you who lives in a fantasy world which chooses to discount the evidence and say "what evidence" when it is literally self-evident.
People who proclaim a book which speaks of witches, zombies, unicorns, wizards, giants, sea monsters and dragons to be true, really have no credibility in suggesting that anyone who doubts the veracity of such a book, is living in a "fantasy world".

And the biggest fantasy of all is that there is no evidence.
Which is why I continue to call upon theists to provide the evidence. Don't claim it exists if you can't provide it. Why is that such an issue for you?

If you make a claim, expect to be asked to substantiate that claim.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 1:22:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 12:45:40 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/23/2014 12:15:28 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:


However scripture is the words of God not of men, and it has proven it's credentials to be classed as such over and again to those not too blind to see.
This is not only incorrect, but borders on an out-right lie! We know enough about the history of scripture to be certain that every word was written by men. The ONLY claim any of them have to being the "words of God", are the claims of the men who wrote them, and/or, the claims of the men who selected them. And it doesn't take a genius to understand the extreme bias and lack of credibility in both cases.

Written by men, but not authroed by tehm.

The fact that men have tried to discre3dit it mens nothign because they cannot succeed.

The fact is that it has proven accurate in it's historicity, it's prophecy and even in areas where it touches on science.

It is a book written down by about 40 different men over thousands of years and yet it remains completely harmonious from Genesis to Revelation with not one genuine contradiction anywhere in it.

Sufficient ancient copies of the Hebrew scriptures have been found to guarantee that none of its'e wording has been substantially changed (unless of course you count the removal of God's holy name from many places).

Though there are a number of things which have not been proven either way, there is not one scriptural statement which has been reliably proven wrong, and more are being proven right almost every day by Archaeological finds. OK, a touch of hyperbole there, but none the less basically true. I believe the last one was finding evidence of King David's Palace where many had tried to claim that David didn't even exist.


The trouble is that it is you who lives in a fantasy world which chooses to discount the evidence and say "what evidence" when it is literally self-evident.
People who proclaim a book which speaks of witches, zombies, unicorns, wizards, giants, sea monsters and dragons to be true, really have no credibility in suggesting that anyone who doubts the veracity of such a book, is living in a "fantasy world".

Witches exist even today

I don't recall any mention of zombies anywhere in scripture, maybe you can show me where they are, so that I can show you what you are misunderstanding.

As for unicorns, some manuscripts translate that as Rhinoceros which are a form of one horned, or unicorn beats, just not the mythical variety.

What do you call a giant? I am sure Richard Osmon 6' 7" would have been called a giant in many societies. Goliath was reckoned to be about 7 or 8 feet, and came from a race of tall people considered giants by those around them. We find similarly tall people even now.

Again, wizards, also called Warlocks are found even now, and are usually priests in Wicca, though they do not practice magic, but I am not entirely sure to what you are referring, the nearest thing I can come to is that some people think of the Magi as wizards, though in fact they were Astrologers.

Sea monsters? well how do you think some would have described a whale, or an octopus? Just because we no longer call them that doesn't mean that no-one else ever did.

Dragons are used in scripture to illustrate Satan, who appeared to Eve as a snake, or using a snake as a ventriloquists dummy, but again we find dragons nowadays, for instance the Komodo Dragon. What makes you think that the writers were not referring to something similar?

No, you are simply looking for excuses not to believe, and couldn't care less about the truth, or otherwise, of what you say.

Above all you are not asking "what is meant by.......?"

As such your argumentation is always so easy to counter.


And the biggest fantasy of all is that there is no evidence.
Which is why I continue to call upon theists to provide the evidence. Don't claim it exists if you can't provide it. Why is that such an issue for you?

If you make a claim, expect to be asked to substantiate that claim.

I have substantiated it, you simply run scared of accepting it. You see it every time you look out of your window, every time you look in a mirror.

If you are too lazy, or too scared of being proved wrong to investigate it properly yourself that is your problem because it is you who will be asked to account for why you didn't.

It is, after all, he responsibility of each one of us to make sure of the truth or otherwise of what we believe.

I don't expect you to take my word for it. I do expect you to do your own careful research to see why I have arrived at what I believe and know.

However, as with everything it is your choice and yours alone.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 1:27:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 12:18:43 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/23/2014 12:12:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 10/23/2014 11:45:45 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:24:41 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/23/2014 3:55:14 AM, annanicole wrote:

That's ridiculous. A decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers of the last 500 years were Christians.

This is what we call Euro centrism. You only think this because you only pay attention to the achievements of Europe. Not that I blame you, but you simply don't know enough about the achievements of other cultures/peoples to say that Christians are responsible for the majority of great minds.

I believe I covered that by saying "a decent percentage, possibly even the majority, of the greatest thinkers".

Except they were not Christians, they were Apostates. This is where you get it so wrong in your admiration of men.

You mean they claimed thus and such happened in 1874? No, wait, 1878. Oops, got that wrong. It was 1914. No, 1915, No, 1918. Oh, to heck with the teens. We'll go for 1925. No, 1926, No, 1935. So much for that. "Don't marry or get an education: you won't need it." Maybe it was 1975.

Talk about APOSTATE, then talk about "forgive us: we haven't gotten anything right, and we redefine every word or phrase that gets in our way, then we issue a perversion of the scriptures to teach our nonsense."

Again yuou fall back on the only weapon that you have in reality, a very blunt implement indeed.

Yes they made mistakes, so have you. They admitted theirs and moved on. You have not.

Who is the most reprehensible?

The one who makes mistakes, admits them and then moves on.

Or the one who even though she ash been proven wrong by scripture and history still insists on sticking to the same old completely false story?

Again we have the anti JW rants, lol, it really is all you have isn't it, lol.

Absolutely pathetic, especially when you ruin other people's threads with it all the time. After all it is you who insists on dragging them in when all I want is to discuss scripture.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,276
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 3:03:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/19/2014 4:35:37 AM, SitaraMusica wrote:
I used to be a prochoice Christian, and now I am prolife.

If you mean that certain denominations that believe in Christ accept a Pro Choice stance, yes.

If you mean that to be in accord with what Christianity has preached from the earliest years, no.

And abortion and death penalty are distinctly different issues.