Jump to topic:

What Should Be Done About Religion?

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 10:37:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
For those who think religion is a world problem, what do you think the solution to this problem would be?

Because references to problems religion causes that I read at various times are so vague, I have a hard time viewing them as legitimate concerns because any type of problem should be dealt with. I'm inclined to view such statements as mere hyperbole. For instance, I admit, I don't like rap music. Forgive me for those that do, but yes, I might have at some point made the exaggerated claim "rap is not music". I can't really claim that it's not actually music (I also don't want to argue the point), but what I'm really saying by that hyperbolic comment is it's a type of music I really dislike.

That's kind of how I view this whole religion is the, or a big contributor to the problems of the world.
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 10:41:37 AM
Religion isn't a problem- people are. People like to force other people to behave a certain way and using the fear of eternal torture is an easy way to do it.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 10:46:10 AM
At 10/19/2014 10:41:37 AM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
Religion isn't a problem- people are. People like to force other people to behave a certain way and using the fear of eternal torture is an easy way to do it.
Then maintaining that there is eternal torture would be a religious problem, right? If there was no doctrine relating to eternal torture, that element of religion couldn't be used to control....correct?
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 10:54:22 AM
At 10/19/2014 10:46:10 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 10/19/2014 10:41:37 AM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
Then maintaining that there is eternal torture would be a religious problem, right? If there was no doctrine relating to eternal torture, that element of religion couldn't be used to control....correct?

When a person quotes a book to force someone to do something, you don't blame the book, you blame the person using the book as a weapon...
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:08:58 AM
I am a believer in freedom of religion as well as freedom from religion. I believe in secular government, which is what modern, developed countries have. Politicians who attempt to legislate based upon unsupported beliefs need to be exposed for what they are. Education is key.

Take a look at Japan-- very religious (Shintoism) up until 1945, and when they came to realize their emporor was not a god, they focused on education and became secular.

So, be religious all you want-- until it affects my freedom and well being.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 11:24:21 AM
Eliminate it and teach people to think for themselves within the timeframe that they have.

We aren't as special as cavemen hoped we were, they created their afterlife out of desperation and love.

Amazing that such a brain was capable of that, isn't it?

Your brain is so much more advanced than that and more importantly the knowledge available to you completely denies their poor understanding of Life, The Universe and Everything.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin