Is theism or atheism embarrassing?

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:28:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A general question to the members of DDO:

Are you ever embarrassed by your faith/ lack of faith when you're discussing religion with other people (in person)?

Of course, it's easy to envision a situation where having to admit to a lack of belief in God would be rather uncomfortable. Likewise, I'm sure there are many situations where admitting to a belief in God would be rather unpleasant.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:31:34 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:28:56 PM, Freeman wrote:

Are you ever embarrassed by your faith/ lack of faith when you're discussing religion with other people (in person)?

Of course, it's easy to envision a situation where having to admit to a lack of belief in God would be rather uncomfortable. Likewise, I'm sure there are many situations where admitting to a belief in God would be rather unpleasant.

Well considering most of my friends are Christians it's never really too much of a problem, until they realize I'm not Christian. I don't really discuss religion too much in person though considering most people I know are Islamophobes.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:33:59 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:31:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Well considering most of my friends are Christians it's never really too much of a problem, until they realize I'm not Christian. I don't really discuss religion too much in person though considering most people I know are Islamophobes.

lol, what are you afraid they're gonna do in person duck and cover???
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:36:30 PM
I think everyone here remembers our landlord story: Vi and I are renting right now from an extremely religious couple. When we first met them, we sat with them for like 6 hours and they kept talking about church, God, prayer, etc. They also said, "Well, our daughter's... not straight" lol so we didn't tell them that we were a couple, obviously. But Vi lied to them and told them that she was Orthodox Christian! Or something! Haha she's pretty much an atheist from a Muslim family so that was a lil funny. Me, I told them I went to Catholic school and the woman was like, "Oh, ha ha" sort of implying that Catholics were weird/dumb (I dunno what kinda Christian she is) which would have offended me if I were still Catholic lol. Anyway, yeah, we have a room that's like a library-ish and a whole shelf devoted to atheist literature which we keep right next to a copy of the Bible and I hope that my landlords see it sometime before we move out :P But they did make it incredibly awkward for us to reveal our beliefs because they heavily implied that they look down on non-believers or rather they heavily favor theists and we were trying to get them to rent to us at the time so we had to play along which kinda sucks.
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:38:07 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:33:59 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/18/2010 3:31:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

lol, what are you afraid they're gonna do in person duck and cover???

lol I don't know. I guess I'm just too socially awkward to be taking any risks of losing friends over my faith.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:39:56 PM
Not really. I just get strange looks sometimes as if people expected me to be an atheist/agnostic/"freethinker".
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:40:05 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:38:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

lol I don't know. I guess I'm just too socially awkward to be taking any risks of losing friends over my faith.

Then f-ck em. They're not your friends if they care.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:40:29 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:39:56 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Not really. I just get strange looks sometimes as if people expected me to be an atheist/agnostic/"freethinker".

That's because you come off intelligent ;)
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:41:54 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:40:05 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Yea I suppose. They always want me to do unislamic things anyway. Of course they get into alcohol and such after I have to stop.
infam0us
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:42:44 PM

religion is only a problem to me if it holds people down. if your religion starts determining things you can/cannot do, then i think you have issues. otherwise, i couldn't care less what someone believed.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:47:14 PM
My religion is a part of me. The way I dress, behave, and so forth, is Islamic. It is my personality. If people accept who I am, they have accepted my religion besides me.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:48:22 PM
No.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:52:57 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:48:22 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
No.

you don't like Mirza merging with The Collective??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:57:28 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:41:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Yea I suppose. They always want me to do unislamic things anyway. Of course they get into alcohol and such after I have to stop.

O... I'm sure God doesn't disapprove of alcohol. And besides, you're legal in Canada, right.

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:59:13 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:47:14 PM, Mirza wrote:
It is my personality.

You are islam

Metaphysics:
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 3:59:28 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:57:28 PM, Freeman wrote:

O... I'm sure God doesn't disapprove of alcohol. And besides, you're legal in Canada, right.

I am, yes. However, as a muslim I'm not really supposed to consume alcohol. My friends are all still underage and are insisting I buy for them. *sigh*
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:00:57 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:59:13 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
You are islam
I am always trying to be as much of a Muslim as possible. My personality in general is Islamic.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:06:44 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:59:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I am, yes. However, as a muslim I'm not really supposed to consume alcohol. My friends are all still underage and are insisting I buy for them. *sigh*

You adhere to an astonishing raft of progressive/liberal/enlightened views for a Muslim. Why not just make one more exception for yourself? After all, do all of the dietary rules in religion make any sense anyway?

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:11:28 PM
At 4/18/2010 4:06:44 PM, Freeman wrote:
You adhere to an astonishing raft of progressive/liberal/enlightened views for a Muslim. Why not just make one more exception for yourself? After all, do all of the dietary rules in religion make any sense anyway?
It is not one exception to drink alcohol. Morality/good behavior is important. How will she behave well if she is intoxicated? Islam wants people to be human beings all the time. An intoxicated person is more of a monkey than a human being. It is also harmful, and not healthy. There's no need to make exceptions. As a Muslim woman, she will live a perfect life with a Muslim man. Why? She would not not feel the threat of other women being around him all the time in parties etc., and whatever else people do/go to.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:11:56 PM

Yea, I don't know. Sure, I'm progressive for a muslim, but I still try to follow some rules such as the dietary rules. No pork or booze for me.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:23:21 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:52:57 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/18/2010 3:48:22 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
No.

you don't like Mirza merging with The Collective??

I was responding to OP.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:30:41 PM
At 4/18/2010 4:11:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Yea, I don't know. Sure, I'm progressive for a muslim, but I still try to follow some rules such as the dietary rules. No pork or booze for me.

What if the Koran said that you couldn't eat any foods that began with the letter E, would you follow that rule?

Religion - at its best - contributes to people's ability to experience compassion, empathy and love. Why would God care what type of food people eat?

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:35:59 PM
At 4/18/2010 4:30:41 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/18/2010 4:11:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

What if the Koran said that you couldn't eat any foods that began with the letter E, would you follow that rule?

Religion - at its best - contributes to people's ability to experience compassion, empathy and love. Why would God care what type of food people eat?

Yea, I don't know. Yet God does care what we eat. It's fine though. I don't really like pork much anyway(except for bacon, I actually miss that).
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:45:11 PM
Naw. Granted I live in a country where it's usually less of an openly outward aspect of everyday life and being outwardly religious is seen as just a little bit weird in a lot of ways.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 4:58:19 PM
Embarrassed? No. If you aren't comfortable with your beliefs then you shouldn't have them at all. If you know that what you believe is true or reasonable then you should stick up for it and express it with pride.

Not only that, but if people can't accept that you have disagreeable views then they are of no importance.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 5:01:52 PM
At 4/18/2010 3:40:29 PM, theLwerd wrote:

That's because you come off intelligent ;)

Thanks? lol :P
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
infam0us
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 5:38:39 PM
i wash my hands of this.

anyhow, i'll occasionally tell people i believe in god/am a christian just so i don't have to explain myself. it's irritating to argue with someone who "knows god is there."
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 7:54:32 PM

I've had a conversation with one of my more outspoken and intelligent Jewish classmates. She seemed rather shocked that I was expressing atheistic notions (we were talking about lifelong goals and the conversation turned to a sort of "there's nothing after this, enjoy life to the max" kind of thing) and I immediately turned around to say that later on, when I get older, I'll probably grow out of it, and turned the conversation on to how faith usually solidifies with maturity and how we all have phases of doubt during our younger days.

I wasn't embarrassed, but it was a shocker to me that atheism would be so ill-received among my fellow science majors. I'm just glad I managed to sidestep an awkward situation.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.