Jump to topic:

Christianity ruined my life

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 5:54:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd like to start and end this by saying: screw you Jesus, go to hell.

I remember how Jesus said that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. The message was clear, a camel can't pass through the eye of a needle so wealth was a death sentence.

I refused to go to college in fear that it would take me over the poverty level and would accept only fast food jobs. Since I'm bright and have a good work ethic I would always get promoted quickly and that's when I knew it was time to quit. Every promotion lead to me quitting so I could start at the bottom again.

At one point I almost got promoted to General manager. This really freaked me out, so I stopped working and became professionally homeless for like a year.

For what does it benefit a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul in the process?

Let's not forget that besides having an extremely unhealthy fear of not living in poverty I also adhered to Jesus teaching to turn the other cheek, which can only be interpreted as "Be a doormat".

People would walk all over me and I would let them, even encourage them. You could walk up and kick me in the nuts and I would smile and say thank you.

These unhealthy philosophies destroyed me, so Fvck you Jesus. There is nothing wrong with success or defending yourself from punches to the face.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:57:16 AM
At 10/21/2014 5:54:31 AM, Wylted wrote:

I remember how Jesus said that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. The message was clear, a camel can't pass through the eye of a needle so wealth was a death sentence.

I refused to go to college in fear that it would take me over the poverty level and would accept only fast food jobs. Since I'm bright and have a good work ethic I would always get promoted quickly and that's when I knew it was time to quit. Every promotion lead to me quitting so I could start at the bottom again.

At one point I almost got promoted to General manager. This really freaked me out, so I stopped working and became professionally homeless for like a year.

For what does it benefit a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul in the process?

Let's not forget that besides having an extremely unhealthy fear of not living in poverty I also adhered to Jesus teaching to turn the other cheek, which can only be interpreted as "Be a doormat".

People would walk all over me and I would let them, even encourage them. You could walk up and kick me in the nuts and I would smile and say thank you.

These unhealthy philosophies destroyed me, so Fvck you Jesus. There is nothing wrong with success or defending yourself from punches to the face.
Story book jebus is a historical MYTH!

It only literally exists in the imaginations of those that conceived it and those that preach their propaganda.

As usual, religion is the tool unscrupulous people manufactured to maintain their positions of power & authority by controlling dupes who fell for their BS propaganda!

Congratulations of escaping their evil clutches!

Don't blame Story book jebus, it is these unscrupulous people that tricked you at fault!

Get your own back by helping prevent others from being conned by their BS!

The best way, is to study their propaganda and then destroy them with it!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:12:12 AM

Jesus is only a false deity in the minds of Christians. Not one Christian has ever been used by our invisible Creator to speak for Him. Only us saints and prophets are used by God to testify to who we are in HIm, which is invisible energy that doesn't take up any space nor contains any matter. Time is only an illusion as we observe the illusions of this universe that appear to be moving.

We saints didn't come to the earth to start a religion called Christianity. We come to tell God's people that we're nothing but thoughts of God within His dream. What we perceived from our individual created being are only illusions. We're not even real and that's the reason God compares us to grass and sand on the beach.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:45:54 AM

Perhaps I can add something here since I share that philosophy that you stated from that bible verse.

I believe money is corrupt, but the person doesn't have to be. Promotions or big jobs is something Jesus isn't entirely against. He was against the rich people who refused to share their wealth or offer a lending hand. It was about greedy people who see a homeless person on the street and refuse to help them because they are either stingy about their money or make up excuses. You said you were homeless. Did you see people who looked down upon you and said they couldn't help, but they looked like they had the money. It's basically saying don't let money turn you into some scum bag.

I am planning on getting a job as an author or a scientist. Maybe just a teacher. And I plan on living in a mobile home near my job, riding a bike instead of a car to work, buy best choice brand stuff so it's cheap, but occasionally treat myself to salads and stuff. I just don't let the money control me. I'll have tons of money, but i'm going to give it to people, invest to charity and if I have a family, save the money and buy them what they need. Education, health and possibly a better home.

So I don't think it was necessarily Christianity that ruined your life, but rather whoever told you that the bible verse said that. Cuz the ones who have said what you said, even they built anarchist communes on farm houses where they grew their own food and shared their stuff with everybody.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:43:41 AM

No, your reaction to Christianity ruined your life.

No-one, and nothing can ruin our lives, only we can do that for ourselves by our reactions to them or it.

True Christianity can only improve your life, though that is only true of the real thing, not the face versions that most people know about. It certainly improved my life beyond all recognition, at least in the important areas. Hope, peace of mind, purpose in life. It gave me all of them and more.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:09:57 AM
At 10/21/2014 8:12:12 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Jesus is only a false deity in the minds of Christians. Not one Christian has ever been used by our invisible Creator to speak for Him. Only us saints and prophets are used by God to testify to who we are in HIm, which is invisible energy that doesn't take up any space nor contains any matter. Time is only an illusion as we observe the illusions of this universe that appear to be moving.

We saints didn't come to the earth to start a religion called Christianity. We come to tell God's people that we're nothing but thoughts of God within His dream. What we perceived from our individual created being are only illusions. We're not even real and that's the reason God compares us to grass and sand on the beach.

This is the most intelligent response from any theist on the forum. Thank you, I wish the had as much sense as you do.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:15:19 AM
At 10/21/2014 8:45:54 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Perhaps I can add something here since I share that philosophy that you stated from that bible verse.

I believe money is corrupt, but the person doesn't have to be. Promotions or big jobs is something Jesus isn't entirely against. He was against the rich people who refused to share their wealth or offer a lending hand. It was about greedy people who see a homeless person on the street and refuse to help them because they are either stingy about their money or make up excuses. You said you were homeless. Did you see people who looked down upon you and said they couldn't help, but they looked like they had the money. It's basically saying don't let money turn you into some scum bag.

That's not what the verse said. It said it was impossible to be rich and go to heaven. When I was homeless I didn't beg, and I still look down on people who do. I found ways to eat everyday, without begging. The people you see begging are all drug addicts or con men, with zero exceptions to that rule.

I am planning on getting a job as an author or a scientist. Maybe just a teacher. And I plan on living in a mobile home near my job, riding a bike instead of a car to work, buy best choice brand stuff so it's cheap, but occasionally treat myself to salads and stuff. I just don't let the money control me. I'll have tons of money, but i'm going to give it to people, invest to charity and if I have a family, save the money and buy them what they need. Education, health and possibly a better home.

So I don't think it was necessarily Christianity that ruined your life, but rather whoever told you that the bible verse said that. Cuz the ones who have said what you said, even they built anarchist communes on farm houses where they grew their own food and shared their stuff with everybody.

Actually I read the bible directly and saw the verse. I didn't go to church, I just shoved my head in the bible and picked through it with a fine tooth comb, but I did have the habit of honing into certain verses. I honed in on the ones that carried the most fearful messages.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:18:20 AM
At 10/21/2014 9:43:41 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

No-one, and nothing can ruin our lives, only we can do that for ourselves by our reactions to them or it.

I can agree with that.

True Christianity can only improve your life, though that is only true of the real thing, not the face versions that most people know about. It certainly improved my life beyond all recognition, at least in the important areas. Hope, peace of mind, purpose in life. It gave me all of them and more.

I'm sure you can interpret it in a way that is healthy, but I took the bible extremely literally, so when Jesus said no rich people go to heaven and commanded me to be a doormat, than I obeyed.

I'm glad you found a way to interpret it that's healthy, though.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:21:29 AM
At 10/21/2014 10:09:57 AM, Wylted wrote:

This is the most intelligent response from any theist on the forum. Thank you, I wish the had as much sense as you do.

You shouldn't mix satire/troll with serious posts in the same thread. It's rather annoying not knowing when you are being serious or not, I presume the OP was serious but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 10:24:19 AM
At 10/21/2014 10:21:29 AM, Envisage wrote:
This is the most intelligent response from any theist on the forum. Thank you, I wish they had as much sense as you do.

You shouldn't mix satire/troll with serious posts in the same thread. It's rather annoying not knowing when you are being serious or not, I presume the OP was serious but I wouldn't stake my life on it.

It was. I just can't help myself sometimes. I'll keep that in mind for the future.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:04:54 AM
At 10/21/2014 9:43:41 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

None of God's people can choose to make their lives better. God is the Creator of everything and it's Him alone who gives His people life experiences, not His created people. They are nothing but illusions within His mind so it's impossible that man chooses His own path.

Those who don't listen to the voice of the Lord or obey His commandments will remain confused about who we are within His mind and be cursed by the world they perceive as being our reality.

The voice of the Lord is NOT a Bible.

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:14:30 AM
At 10/21/2014 10:09:57 AM, Wylted wrote:

That's because it's been at least 1700 years since the last saint was used by God to testify to His invisible Word. Christians had all the saints killed because they are antichrists who don't believe the spoken Word. They only believe their own interpretations of their new testament that the Vatican had approved for them to read and believe. The new testament was NOT produced by us saints who were taught directly from our Creator about the past, present and future and how we were created. The new testament consists of writings by antichrists who stole the spoken and written words of the saints and added their religious pagan dogma to it such as the Jewish water baptism tradition, triune gods, hell belief, Catholic Eucharist, bodily resurrections, Babylonian Easter story, gifts of the spirit such as speaking in tongues, church hierarchy with bishops, cardinals and popes who are nothing but antichrists and false prophets.

The Bible will never lead anyone to the Truth of who God is or who we are in Him.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:18:07 AM
At 10/21/2014 11:14:30 AM, bornofgod wrote:

That's because it's been at least 1700 years since the last saint was used by God to testify to His invisible Word. Christians had all the saints killed because they are antichrists who don't believe the spoken Word. They only believe their own interpretations of their new testament that the Vatican had approved for them to read and believe. The new testament was NOT produced by us saints who were taught directly from our Creator about the past, present and future and how we were created. The new testament consists of writings by antichrists who stole the spoken and written words of the saints and added their religious pagan dogma to it such as the Jewish water baptism tradition, triune gods, hell belief, Catholic Eucharist, bodily resurrections, Babylonian Easter story, gifts of the spirit such as speaking in tongues, church hierarchy with bishops, cardinals and popes who are nothing but antichrists and false prophets.

The Bible will never lead anyone to the Truth of who God is or who we are in Him.

I'm aware of the truth of this from my own readings. Why do you call yourself a saint, anyway?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:24:22 AM

I can only hope you are kidding... Sometimes it is difficult to tell with you because you are all over the place.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:34:59 AM
At 10/21/2014 11:24:22 AM, Geogeer wrote:

I can only hope you are kidding... Sometimes it is difficult to tell with you because you are all over the place.

Sadly I am not. Christianity has hurt me in numerous ways, and I never really believed in it but attempted to force myself to believe from a young age.

At 9 years old, other kids would be outside playing but I'd be studying my bible. Even at that age, I had an unhealthy fear of death. I always took a very literal interpretation of the bible as well, which is what did the most damage.

My fear of death made me try to force myself to believe and at one point I decided to take a leap of faith and just believe. I always knew the bible was BS but it's that small chance that it wasn't that refused to let me walk away. I finally decided to take a hard look at the bible one day and instead of trying to force myself to believe, I looked at what it really said.

It's my study of the bible and not anything outside the bible that made me realize it was silly to believe. It was silly to torture myself thinking I was being condemned to hell for stumbling upon success over and over and blaspheming the holy spirit (some definitions of blasphemy include doubt as a form of it).

The bible contains all the evidence you need that it isn't true.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 12:56:54 PM
At 10/21/2014 11:18:07 AM, Wylted wrote:

I'm aware of the truth of this from my own readings. Why do you call yourself a saint, anyway?

I didn't call myself a saint. Our invisible Creator, who I've known personally for 35 years, is the one who named me one of His saints and forced me to write and speak for Him this past six years to learn the past, present and future. He also taught me exactly how He created us within His mind.

The saints of the Roman Catholic Church were not aware that men would call them saints after they had died. This is because the laws of the Vatican had a group of men study the life of certain men who they deemed "holy" and performed some kind of miracle to consider them as saints, which took around 100 years after they died.

In the first official writing God had me write for Him, I learned that I was a chosen saint comparing me to saints like Jesus, Peter, Timothy, Paul, etc. who lived and spoke for Him 2,000 years ago.

A saint has to be chosen by God because He's the one who planned everything. God also planned to use Christianity to teach His people how to build things, which comes from His plan called the beast. This plan can be read about in the books of Daniel and Revelation, although Christians have no idea that the "beast" is God's plan to teach men how to build things for the purpose to use them as analogies to help us saints learn how God planned to end this age and how He created us.

Through the modern technology that God's people have built because of His beast, we have the computer, cinema, photography, microscopes, telescopes, mathematical languages, etc. to use as analogies to help us understand that we're nothing but information that has to be processed into illusions to make up a visible world that we call the universe. These visible objects are not real at all. In fact, we're living in a dream of our Creator's but each of His created beings are like computer processors with computer peripherals ( brains and body parts ) that process this information into illusions that we observe as our reality.

It has taken God about six years to teach me who we are in Him by using all my written and spoken testimonies, including all the visible objects He used as analogies to teach me the invisible world we came from, which is nothing but His thoughts ( His mind ).

If you believe anything I'm sharing with you, then you were chosen as one of His believers who would listen to His voice ( the gospel ) and learn everything I know about us. This is what is meant by receiving Eternal Life if you believe. Eternal Life is nothing but God's programmed information that we created beings get to observe one picture of information at a time but at a rate that gives us the illusion of motion and time.

I have lots of information that I've shared in this forum this past year so if you look back at some of my OP's you can learn some new things that can't be found anywhere in this world. I can also teach you these things one on one if you prefer.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 1:06:09 PM
At 10/21/2014 12:56:54 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:18:07 AM, Wylted wrote:

I didn't call myself a saint. Our invisible Creator, who I've known personally for 35 years, is the one who named me one of His saints and forced me to write and speak for Him this past six years to learn the past, present and future. He also taught me exactly how He created us within His mind.

The saints of the Roman Catholic Church were not aware that men would call them saints after they had died. This is because the laws of the Vatican had a group of men study the life of certain men who they deemed "holy" and performed some kind of miracle to consider them as saints, which took around 100 years after they died.

In the first official writing God had me write for Him, I learned that I was a chosen saint comparing me to saints like Jesus, Peter, Timothy, Paul, etc. who lived and spoke for Him 2,000 years ago.

A saint has to be chosen by God because He's the one who planned everything. God also planned to use Christianity to teach His people how to build things, which comes from His plan called the beast. This plan can be read about in the books of Daniel and Revelation, although Christians have no idea that the "beast" is God's plan to teach men how to build things for the purpose to use them as analogies to help us saints learn how God planned to end this age and how He created us.

Through the modern technology that God's people have built because of His beast, we have the computer, cinema, photography, microscopes, telescopes, mathematical languages, etc. to use as analogies to help us understand that we're nothing but information that has to be processed into illusions to make up a visible world that we call the universe. These visible objects are not real at all. In fact, we're living in a dream of our Creator's but each of His created beings are like computer processors with computer peripherals ( brains and body parts ) that process this information into illusions that we observe as our reality.

It has taken God about six years to teach me who we are in Him by using all my written and spoken testimonies, including all the visible objects He used as analogies to teach me the invisible world we came from, which is nothing but His thoughts ( His mind ).

If you believe anything I'm sharing with you, then you were chosen as one of His believers who would listen to His voice ( the gospel ) and learn everything I know about us. This is what is meant by receiving Eternal Life if you believe. Eternal Life is nothing but God's programmed information that we created beings get to observe one picture of information at a time but at a rate that gives us the illusion of motion and time.

I have lots of information that I've shared in this forum this past year so if you look back at some of my OP's you can learn some new things that can't be found anywhere in this world. I can also teach you these things one on one if you prefer.

Yes, PMing me or sending me a link to the ops would be helpful. I pretty much believe everything you said, but the personal encounters and what not aren't something that is easy to digest. If the Gospels are tainted by pagan (baptisms and such), than how can any of it be believed. Also, how could I have a personal encounter like you have. It would be silly to believe a man even if he is a saint when I could just go to the source.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 2:34:46 PM
I'm tore between laughing and crying about this post.

If you're being funny I will laugh with you, you did a good job of coming up with some of the most misguided interpretations I've seen. If your serious I apologize that someone somewhere let you suffer due to these self interpretations.

I like to refer back to experience with interpretations other than what is defined by the Church magistrate.

But before that let me just preach a minute.......context.....context and more context is the general rule when attempting to understand holy scripture. Jesus was had just answered a question He was asked by a rich person when He made that statement. If Scriptures are taken as truth than Jesus knew the one thing the rich man could never give up in order to follow Him.

Let me ask you this. If every person in the Church was dirt floor poor than who would feed the poor? Clothe the naked? Shelter the homeless? It has always been said that the Church will be hated till it's all over, did Jesus expect the wicked to tend to the poor in the Church?

I take my Parish Priest as a good example of what Jesus meant.

He was a doctor and lay Catholic for nearly 50 years when his wife died of cancer. He spent his whole life building his practice to give his wife a children the life he thought they needed. When she died he told me he nearly lost his Faith. With fear and trembling he worked out his salvation through verses like these.

He decided to sell his medical practice......everything. He gave all the profits to charity. He gave his home to the Church which still uses it to this day to shelter abused women and their families. He went into the Priesthood and spent the rest of his life serving God and His Church. He retired when he could no longer stand or walk to a monastery of sorts near Cullman AL. He died with absolutely zero worldly possessions, true property.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 2:45:24 PM

Forgive me if this comes across as rude, but...
1. As this life is temporary, then would it really be a loss to live your whole life in utter poverty and misery and then spend eternity in Heaven?
2. Are you positive that when Jesus said this He meant it literally? If not, then can you honestly blame God for your faulty interpretation of scripture? If so, then see number 1.
3. If God does not exist, then when it's time to die does it really matter whether you had much in your life or whether you had little? When the moment is over, the pleasure you felt in that moment benefits you none, and the pain you felt then costs you none, for what you felt in that moment is over.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 2:55:36 PM
At 10/21/2014 2:34:46 PM, jharry wrote:

If you're being funny I will laugh with you, you did a good job of coming up with some of the most misguided interpretations I've seen. If your serious I apologize that someone somewhere let you suffer due to these self interpretations.

This is how I interpreted the bible at the time and there is no other way to interpret that verse than Jesus telling the rich guy that wealth was bad. Jesus literally commanded the man to give up all his worldly possessions to get to heaven. I know there are verses that contradict this, but biblical contradictions are all over the place, so I went with what had scarier consequences. Going to hell for being wealthy had scarier consequences than the consequences mentioned for not being wealthy. Wealth was a death sentence, according to Jesus.

I like to refer back to experience with interpretations other than what is defined by the Church magistrate.

But before that let me just preach a minute.......context.....context and more context is the general rule when attempting to understand holy scripture. Jesus was had just answered a question He was asked by a rich person when He made that statement. If Scriptures are taken as truth than Jesus knew the one thing the rich man could never give up in order to follow Him.

Let me ask you this. If every person in the Church was dirt floor poor than who would feed the poor? Clothe the naked? Shelter the homeless? It has always been said that the Church will be hated till it's all over, did Jesus expect the wicked to tend to the poor in the Church?

Jesus said that God will take care of his people, so if You're dirt poor. Just like the Jews received manna from heaven the poor would just somehow come across food before perishing from starvation.

I take my Parish Priest as a good example of what Jesus meant.

He was a doctor and lay Catholic for nearly 50 years when his wife died of cancer. He spent his whole life building his practice to give his wife a children the life he thought they needed. When she died he told me he nearly lost his Faith. With fear and trembling he worked out his salvation through verses like these.

He decided to sell his medical practice......everything. He gave all the profits to charity. He gave his home to the Church which still uses it to this day to shelter abused women and their families. He went into the Priesthood and spent the rest of his life serving God and His Church. He retired when he could no longer stand or walk to a monastery of sorts near Cullman AL. He died with absolutely zero worldly possessions, true property.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 2:56:57 PM

Inasmuch as I share your loathing of religion, I cannot bring myself to blame religion for the adverse effects it had on my life. Ultimately, the responsibility was mine. It was mine because it was my decision to accept this philosophy. It was mine because it was my choice to espouse such an irrational philosophy. It was mine because only I am in control of what I choose to follow. Once I let go of the belief that the bible contained any measure of truth, I stopped accepting all the other baggage that came with it. Until I stop accepting something, I will continue to receive it.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:00:07 PM
At 10/21/2014 2:45:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

1. As this life is temporary, then would it really be a loss to live your whole life in utter poverty and misery and then spend eternity in Heaven?

My belief at the time as well.

2. Are you positive that when Jesus said this He meant it literally? If not, then can you honestly blame God for your faulty interpretation of scripture? If so, then see number 1.

I don't believe in trying to interpret God's word. God wouldn't be ignorant to wrap his commandments in mystery. He'd tell you plain as day people who are interpreting are more than likely projecting their beliefs into the bible. There is no reason not to take the bible literally.
3. If God does not exist, then when it's time to die does it really matter whether you had much in your life or whether you had little? When the moment is over, the pleasure you felt in that moment benefits you none, and the pain you felt then costs you none, for what you felt in that moment is over.

I understand Pascal's wager and now realize it's a horrible wager to make.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:02:53 PM
At 10/21/2014 2:56:57 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:

Inasmuch as I share your loathing of religion, I cannot bring myself to blame religion for the adverse effects it had on my life. Ultimately, the responsibility was mine. It was mine because it was my decision to accept this philosophy. It was mine because it was my choice to espouse such an irrational philosophy. It was mine because only I am in control of what I choose to follow. Once I let go of the belief that the bible contained any measure of truth, I stopped accepting all the other baggage that came with it. Until I stop accepting something, I will continue to receive it.

I was just an innocent baby when indoctrinated into this poisonous belief system, but it is still to a large extent my fault, but the damage is done, and clawing my way up from the turmoil religion has brought me seems impossible.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:06:28 PM
At 10/21/2014 3:00:07 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/21/2014 2:45:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

My belief at the time as well.

Why'd you stop believing?

I don't believe in trying to interpret God's word. God wouldn't be ignorant to wrap his commandments in mystery. He'd tell you plain as day people who are interpreting are more than likely projecting their beliefs into the bible. There is no reason not to take the bible literally.

If His commandments are wrapped in mystery, then one has to try harder to seek God's will.
Anyhow, it's not likely that Jesus was talking literally when He said to rip your eye out if it costs you to sign. He may not have been talking literally in this instance either.

I understand Pascal's wager and now realize it's a horrible wager to make.

Why? In any case, it's undeniably true that both pleasure and pain are temporary. The next time you eat ice cream, tell me how good it feels an hour after you ate it. Once that hour has passed, are you any better off from having eaten that ice cream?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:12:25 PM
At 10/21/2014 2:55:36 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/21/2014 2:34:46 PM, jharry wrote:

This is how I interpreted the bible at the time and there is no other way to interpret that verse than Jesus telling the rich guy that wealth was bad. Jesus literally commanded the man to give up all his worldly possessions to get to heaven. I know there are verses that contradict this, but biblical contradictions are all over the place, so I went with what had scarier consequences. Going to hell for being wealthy had scarier consequences than the consequences mentioned for not being wealthy. Wealth was a death sentence, according to Jesus.

And as I said, I apologize that you were left to your personal interpretations. I don't know if I could blame Christianity though. But personal interpretations have led many away from the Church before and have had disastrous consequences.

Makes me think of when I learned my trade. Yes a trained tech could take any manual and be able to diagnose, repair and operate pieces of equipment or systems. But giving an untrained unguided person the same manuals could cause injury, equipment damage or even death.

Jesus said that God will take care of his people, so if You're dirt poor. Just like the Jews received manna from heaven the poor would just somehow come across food before perishing from starvation.

Yes God does take care of His Church, He poured out the Holy Spirit and gifts were given. We see this when Church first began and the faithful would bring wealth to feed and clothe the poor within the Church. Even the the Apostles had to write letters to certain churches to not forget the poor or treat them differently among the members that were not.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:27:42 PM
At 10/21/2014 10:15:19 AM, Wylted wrote:

That's not what the verse said. It said it was impossible to be rich and go to heaven. When I was homeless I didn't beg, and I still look down on people who do. I found ways to eat everyday, without begging. The people you see begging are all drug addicts or con men, with zero exceptions to that rule.

Actually I read the bible directly and saw the verse. I didn't go to church, I just shoved my head in the bible and picked through it with a fine tooth comb, but I did have the habit of honing into certain verses. I honed in on the ones that carried the most fearful messages.

And you didn't look into the ones where all sin and all are saved by grace and faith, not works or status?
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:31:42 PM
At 10/21/2014 3:02:53 PM, Wylted wrote:

I was just an innocent baby when indoctrinated into this poisonous belief system, but it is still to a large extent my fault, but the damage is done, and clawing my way up from the turmoil religion has brought me seems impossible.

If I can provide you with only one positive, it will be this: It is not impossible! I, too, was brainwashed from infancy. The bible was the first book ever placed in my hands. At 47, I can tell you that whatever bleakness you may have allowed to swallow you, before, it can be overcome. Imagine the bleakness that had to be overcome during the dark ages... Rule by religion must have seemed an insurmountable burden. It was done. Just keep fighting. You don't lose until you give up.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:36:04 PM
At 10/21/2014 3:27:42 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/21/2014 10:15:19 AM, Wylted wrote:

And you didn't look into the ones where all sin and all are saved by grace and faith, not works or status?

According to jesus all the grace and faith in the world ain't going to save you if you're rich.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 3:37:46 PM
At 10/21/2014 3:31:42 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 10/21/2014 3:02:53 PM, Wylted wrote:

If I can provide you with only one positive, it will be this: It is not impossible! I, too, was brainwashed from infancy. The bible was the first book ever placed in my hands. At 47, I can tell you that whatever bleakness you may have allowed to swallow you, before, it can be overcome. Imagine the bleakness that had to be overcome during the dark ages... Rule by religion must have seemed an insurmountable burden. It was done. Just keep fighting. You don't lose until you give up.

Thanks, very inspirational. I'll respond to everyon else's posts later. They take more effort and I'm busy.