Jump to topic:

Jesus and Buddhism

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 6:33:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I can't support this so it's more of a question than a statement.

I heard that their is evidence to support Jesus traveled to the far east sometime in his childhood and while staying there became heavily influenced by Buddhism. This would explain for a lot, no? I mean Jesus' ideas were not original, they have a lot in common with Buddhism which is a bit older than Christianity. Jesus had been told he was the son of God so it's not like he's going to let go of Judaism if this really happened. Christianity my possibly be a failed experiment in attempting to mix together two completely incompatible religions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 6:40:06 PM
At 4/18/2010 6:35:16 PM, Koopin wrote:
Ha ha ha... Funny

Yes, Christianity is quite funny isn't it. HAHAHA
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 6:43:12 PM
I've heard that later Daoist's said that Buddha was really just Laozi (who himself may not even have existed...who knows..) who had later traveled to India..

I doubt it, but there's similarities there too.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 6:44:18 PM
Yes, Jesus studied Buddhism, this is almost certain. Manly P Hall has confirmed this in his book, "The Secret Teachings of All Ages."

There are manuscripts in the Himalayas that document his travel to that region. Also, the Gnostic Gospels (the true teachings of Jesus) have blatant parallels with Buddhism.

No, Jesus did not try to merge Judaism and Buddhism nor did he intend on creating any religion.

He also didn't claim to be the son of God in the traditionally understood manner. He believed we are all Gods. He also said that people will not point to the kingdom of God and say "there it is" because the kingdom of God is within you.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 6:46:52 PM
At 4/18/2010 6:43:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I've heard that later Daoist's said that Buddha was really just Laozi (who himself may not even have existed...who knows..) who had later traveled to India..

No. Just no.

They were both wise and thus had similar Enlightened teachings, but they are not the same person.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 6:47:24 PM
At 4/18/2010 6:44:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Yes, Jesus studied Buddhism, this is almost certain. Manly P Hall has confirmed this in his book, "The Secret Teachings of All Ages."

There are manuscripts in the Himalayas that document his travel to that region. Also, the Gnostic Gospels (the true teachings of Jesus) have blatant parallels with Buddhism.

No, Jesus did not try to merge Judaism and Buddhism nor did he intend on creating any religion.

He also didn't claim to be the son of God in the traditionally understood manner. He believed we are all Gods. He also said that people will not point to the kingdom of God and say "there it is" because the kingdom of God is within you.

May I see some of these texts? And may you explain how they have been validated?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2010 6:48:39 PM
At 4/18/2010 6:43:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

It's all making sense now... The trinity is the super buddha/jesus/laozi godman who walked around the world between the years 500BC-60AD..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 12:44:29 AM
"Early Christian records are known to exist in Tibet, and the monks of a Buddhist monastery in Ceylon still preserve a record which indicates that Jesus sojourned with them and became conversant with their philosophy.

Although early Christianity shows every evidence of Oriental influence, this is a subject the modern church declines to discuss. If it is ever established beyond question that Jesus was an initiate of the pagan Greek or Asiatic Mysteries, the effect upon the more conservative members of the Christian faith is likely to be cataclysmic."

-- Manly P. Hall (33rd Degree Freemason, founder of the Philosophical Research Society)

[1] The Secret Teachings of All Ages, pg. 582; Manly P. Hall
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 12:49:50 AM
At 4/19/2010 12:44:29 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"Early Christian records are known to exist in Tibet, and the monks of a Buddhist monastery in Ceylon still preserve a record which indicates that Jesus sojourned with them and became conversant with their philosophy.

Although early Christianity shows every evidence of Oriental influence, this is a subject the modern church declines to discuss. If it is ever established beyond question that Jesus was an initiate of the pagan Greek or Asiatic Mysteries, the effect upon the more conservative members of the Christian faith is likely to be cataclysmic."

-- Manly P. Hall (33rd Degree Freemason, founder of the Philosophical Research Society)

[1] The Secret Teachings of All Ages, pg. 582; Manly P. Hall

It's funny how you showed he was a 33rd degree freemason, as if that gives him more credibility.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 1:00:40 AM
At 4/19/2010 12:49:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
It's funny how you showed he was a 33rd degree freemason, as if that gives him more credibility.

It does give him more credibility. He was initiated into the deep and ancient mysteries.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 1:28:48 AM
At 4/18/2010 6:40:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ha ha ha... Funny

1 Corinthians 1:18 (King James Version)

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God".
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 2:26:53 AM
At 4/19/2010 1:00:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2010 12:49:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:

It does give him more credibility. He was initiated into the deep and ancient mysteries.

Ooooh.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 2:32:44 AM
At 4/19/2010 1:28:48 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 4/18/2010 6:40:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ha ha ha... Funny

1 Corinthians 1:18 (King James Version)

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God".

'It is easier for lasagna to pass through the holes of a colander than it is for a rich person to enter Paradise." - Ishmali Camuwundra
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:49:36 AM
At 4/19/2010 8:07:54 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Sorry, how are the Gnostic gospels real?

A better question is, how is the Bible real. The Gnostic Gospels are the true teachings of Jesus that were cast out of the Bible and burned by the Catholic Church.

And as a sidenote, when discussing Jesus and the parallels with Buddhism, were talking about the real Jesus, not the Biblical Jesus.

Thomas' right?

There's more than that. Gospel of Mary was one as well, can't remember the others.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:57:31 AM
Didn't Jesus travel to Egypt to study? Egypt and India had good enough trade links that cleopatra considered the latter a suitable place to seek refuge.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 2:03:16 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:57:31 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Didn't Jesus travel to Egypt to study? Egypt and India had good enough trade links that cleopatra considered the latter a suitable place to seek refuge.

I'm not sure about Egypt but I know that he was also influenced by Greek thought as well, which coincidentally, the Greeks were influenced slightly by Eastern philosophy.

I know Pythagoras was a Buddhist surprisingly.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 2:05:26 PM
At 4/19/2010 2:03:16 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2010 11:57:31 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I'm not sure about Egypt but I know that he was also influenced by Greek thought as well, which coincidentally, the Greeks were influenced slightly by Eastern philosophy.

I know Pythagoras was a Buddhist surprisingly.

An actual Buddhist, or just coincidentally of the same opinions?!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 3:04:08 AM
At 4/18/2010 6:33:23 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I can't support this so it's more of a question than a statement.

I heard that their is evidence to support Jesus traveled to the far east sometime in his childhood and while staying there became heavily influenced by Buddhism. This would explain for a lot, no? I mean Jesus' ideas were not original, they have a lot in common with Buddhism which is a bit older than Christianity. Jesus had been told he was the son of God so it's not like he's going to let go of Judaism if this really happened. Christianity my possibly be a failed experiment in attempting to mix together two completely incompatible religions.

"I can't support this" so I'll ignore it..
The Cross.. the Cross.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 3:11:38 AM
At 4/20/2010 3:04:08 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
"I can't support this" so I'll ignore it..

He can't support it, but I can. Did you purposefully ignore my previous post?

GeoLaureate8 wrote:

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat