Who was Jesus moms husbands dad?

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:03:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Was his name Jacob, or was it Heli?

if you check the geneology recorded in mattew it will say his name was Jacob.
if you check the geneology recorded in luke it will say his name was Heli.

Matthew was trying to give focus the the kingship of Jesus and did an effective job of linking his geneology to through the kings of Judah.
Lukes focus was on the preisthood of Jesus and tries to do so by showing Mary and Elizabeth as Levites.

Because Matthew would have had access to speaking with mary herself I think its more reliable that his name was Jacob.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:45:02 AM
">>>>The only argument(s) I have to address are:
>>A Decent of Abraham
In ancient Israel the certainty of blood relations was rare(No blood tests or a grantee of faithfulness). What makes someone a son of another is who he was raised under and whose name he takes. This is s inconsistency Augustine of Hippo addressed:
i)That Joseph had two fathers—one natural and one legal—as a result of a levirate marriage involving uterine brothers.
ii)That Luke's genealogy is actually through Mary rather than her husband Joseph.
iii)That Matthew's genealogy is actually through Mary rather than her husband Joseph."

From my "Old Testament Prophecy does not predict Jesus Christ" debate. [http://www.debate.org...]

That's not the only inconsistency in bloodline. After the exile from Babylon they are very different but you only notice that Jesus' Granddad is different.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 1:01:20 PM
I noticed the rest being very different but I figured the principal concept worth discussing in this is covered fair enough with just Josephs dad. The genologys dont really line up until you reach David, Mathew giving a bloodline through Soloman to David and Luke giving a bloodline through Nathan.

My pasture said that one of those being through mary's bloodline is a bunk theory, the text is pretty clear its talking about Joseph in both cases. But I have little problem with theory one you gave.

I'm sure most of the names though could be of the same genoration if you just account for the fact that both Luke and Matthew skipped several generations and they both skipped different ones from each other but kept the same the important ones like David and back. We know this the case just looking at Matthew's geneology and compairing it the chronologies in 2Kings. He compleatly skipps over Joash! and Joash dad, son and grandson and I think a few more and dosnt pick up until again tell king Uzziah. Lukes names though that are no where in that book until you get to david. If someone found 'the book of the history of the kings of Isreal' and 'Judah' thats refered to in 1&2 Kings and Chronicles then we might see a longer list of names in it than is given in 1&2 Kings and Chronicles that would include the ones on Lukes list but sadly those books are lost as of the moment.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 1:16:54 PM
At 4/19/2010 1:09:59 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
+2 contradiction points to Christianity

the gosples were divinely inspired to be written, not people who were divinly posssesed and the divine wrote personally wrote them. It's okay if there are some discripencies. espesially since they have gone through translation into multiple languages. But all in all these books do pass more verification test than other books that are that old.

A Scout is Obedient.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 2:09:03 PM
At 4/19/2010 1:58:00 PM, Puck wrote:
Clearly he had two gay dads. ^^

*Kool-Aid Man voice*
Ooooh yeeeeah~
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?