Jump to topic:

How many of you have changed religions?

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:22:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
How many of you used to be an atheist and became a theist? Used to be a theist, and became an atheist? Used to follow one religion, now follow a different one?

Which one did you used to follow? Which one do you now? Why did you switch?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 6:29:14 PM
At 10/21/2014 6:22:54 PM, SNP1 wrote:
How many of you used to be an atheist and became a theist? Used to be a theist, and became an atheist? Used to follow one religion, now follow a different one?

Christian->Deist->Atheist->Humanist->Secular Nihilist

Reading up on Buddhist philosophy and been on a few outings, so maybe secular Buddhism at some point. I could care less about my religious/philosophical identity and believe what I think is true and nothing more,
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 7:04:04 PM

Baptist/Episcopalian/Anglican/atheist

Baptist was the family church and I had the joy of seeing my father preach when I was a child. When I became independent, I started visiting different churches because of my friends, and I wanted to see what differences there were between denominations. After visiting a few churches, I found an Episcopal church and enjoyed the liturgy, I liked that the priest was a navy chaplain, and I thought the symbolism of the church building itself was very cool. The nave in our church was built like the bow of a boat. Looking up would be like looking at the inside of a boat, so "you knew the church would take you through life". Maybe a little hokey, but it was very powerful symbolism to me at the time. (I understood this was common in episcopal churches) Our little Episcopal church became Anglican because of politics within the Episcopal church itself.

After all the politics within the church, I started looking at religion and god more critically and eventually became an atheist.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 8:27:32 PM

Lutheran>Atheist>Non-denominational Christian>non-religion>The last of God's saints.

This was God's plan for me to go through these switches until I became His voice and now I speak for Him.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 5:21:57 AM

I have sort of done so, because though I was not allied to any particular faith for much of my life I was completely put off religion by all the hypocrisy I found in my search, and for a awhile decided that eitehr God didn't exist or he had deserted us in my mid teens. I certainly wouldn't have blamed him if he had.

So I started trying to prove every faith I came across wrong, and found it all too easy because they didn't even really believe or understand their holy book as well as I did, and that wasn't all that well.

One day I had the shock of my life when I was challenged to read a list of their beliefs, along with the scriptures that formed the basis of them, of a group I had literally been trying to avoid, and I found that they rally did understand their bible far better than I, though we agreed totally on the basics.

It took me 4 years to get over the shock and test them out for myself but I did and I have never regretted, because if they don't have scriptural truth, no-one does, however I am now convinced that they have more than anyone else.

I continue to test their beliefs against scripture, as they, and scripture itself say we should.

I know now that, provided they continue to stand by scripture, I shall have no need to look anywhere else, though as scripture says, one must always stay awake and keep checking.

If you don't know who I am referring to by now, just ask, but I am sure most people do know. I make no secret of it.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 5:39:43 AM
At 10/22/2014 5:21:57 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I have sort of done so, because though I was not allied to any particular faith for much of my life I was completely put off religion by all the hypocrisy I found in my search, and for a awhile decided that eitehr God didn't exist or he had deserted us in my mid teens. I certainly wouldn't have blamed him if he had.

So I started trying to prove every faith I came across wrong, and found it all too easy because they didn't even really believe or understand their holy book as well as I did, and that wasn't all that well.

One day I had the shock of my life when I was challenged to read a list of their beliefs, along with the scriptures that formed the basis of them, of a group I had literally been trying to avoid, and I found that they rally did understand their bible far better than I, though we agreed totally on the basics.

It took me 4 years to get over the shock and test them out for myself but I did and I have never regretted, because if they don't have scriptural truth, no-one does, however I am now convinced that they have more than anyone else.

I continue to test their beliefs against scripture, as they, and scripture itself say we should.

I know now that, provided they continue to stand by scripture, I shall have no need to look anywhere else, though as scripture says, one must always stay awake and keep checking.

If you don't know who I am referring to by now, just ask, but I am sure most people do know. I make no secret of it.

Who is it?
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 6:41:36 AM
At 10/22/2014 5:39:43 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Who is it?

Jehovah's Witnesses.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 7:53:58 AM
At 10/22/2014 6:48:30 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Muslim> Buddhist> Atheist> Agnostic

I became agnostic as I realised just how miserable I was being an atheist so I became agnositic to lessen my pain.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:24:19 AM
Apathetic sort-of-Jainism --> gnostic atheism --> postmodernism/strong agnosticism --> flirtations with gnostic atheism and nihilism --> agnostic atheism

Quite a few changes for 13 years of life. I need to see conclusive evidence for or against God before I ever adopt gnosticism again now.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:07:29 AM
At 10/22/2014 8:24:19 AM, Material_Girl wrote:
Apathetic sort-of-Jainism --> gnostic atheism --> postmodernism/strong agnosticism --> flirtations with gnostic atheism and nihilism --> agnostic atheism

Quite a few changes for 13 years of life. I need to see conclusive evidence for or against God before I ever adopt gnosticism again now.

As I have said to many people, look in a mirror you are conclusive evidence of teh existence of God, as is everything in creation around you, and the deeper you dig into it, the more inevitable God becomes.

Tell me, where did the first particle ever to exist come from?
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:15:55 AM

Born into a christian home and dropped both the belief and the act. Now agnostic. There's not enough available knowledge to state emphatically that there IS NO deity, but there is enough knowledge to dismiss all deities that have ever been invented by humans to this point in human history.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:34:43 AM
At 10/22/2014 9:07:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

As I have said to many people, look in a mirror you are conclusive evidence of teh existence of God, as is everything in creation around you, and the deeper you dig into it, the more inevitable God becomes.

In a fairies fart.
You'd know what they taste like.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:36:34 AM

Quantum fluxuations.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:52:25 AM

Please stay on topic. If you have questions for people, then ask them elsewhere.

I will answer this one question, but then stay on topic or ask elsewhere.
Quantum Vacuum Fluctuations.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 10:02:30 AM
Catholic --> Born Again Christians --> Catholic/Born Again Christians (Don't ask me how, I don't know either) --> Gnostic Atheist --> Agnostic Atheist

I started out as a Catholic, then moved to Born Again Christians. Somehow being Catholic and Born Again at the same time was alright for some of my family and religious friends.
Puberty hit me. Became a Gnostic Atheist, then after much research, became an Agnostic Atheist.
Probably going to stay in Agnostic Atheism for quite a while.
Reading up on Nihilism.
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 10:37:54 AM

There is enough proof from the fossil record and multiple observations of microevolution for me to be fairly confident that humans came about through evolution. As for the creation of absolutely everything, there is zero proof, and the Universe could have been created by the flying spaghetti monster for all we know.

I'm only at pre-GCSE (eighth grade) level physics, so I'm perhaps not the best person to ask about particles, but I could ask the same question about God - where did God come from?
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:15:44 AM
At 10/22/2014 9:36:34 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:

Quantum fluxuations.

I have to assume that you are meaning quatum fluctuations sine there is no such thing as quantum fluxuation.

OK where did quantum come from to fluctuate?

What did it have to work on?

Where did the energy come from?

What caused it to fluctuate and why hadn't it done it before?

That is a very thin straw you are grasping at.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:22:09 AM
At 10/22/2014 10:37:54 AM, Material_Girl wrote:

There is enough proof from the fossil record and multiple observations of microevolution for me to be fairly confident that humans came about through evolution. As for the creation of absolutely everything, there is zero proof, and the Universe could have been created by the flying spaghetti monster for all we know.

I'm only at pre-GCSE (eighth grade) level physics, so I'm perhaps not the best person to ask about particles, but I could ask the same question about God - where did God come from?

God was there before time even existed, since he created time when he created the first particle

I have heard many people say what you do about evolution, but so far it remains an unprovable theory supported by evidence which fits creation better than evolution.

I await someone actually being able to prove it before I change my mind, since creation is the more reasonable theory at present, and actually answers all the questions there are, even if most people don't actually like the answers. But then popularity with humans is never something I base my acceptance of evidence on.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:37:44 AM

Quantum fluxuations.

According to Google there is no such thing as Quantum fluxuations, lol.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:41:46 AM
At 10/22/2014 9:34:43 AM, bulproof wrote:

In a fairies fart.
You'd know what they taste like.

Hardly, lol, I've never smelt nor tasted your farts.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:19:42 PM
At 10/22/2014 11:15:44 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Quantum fluxuations.

I have to assume that you are meaning quatum fluctuations sine there is no such thing as quantum fluxuation.

Madman's answer to everything.
.....................................................................................MAGIC.......................................................................................................
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:44:46 PM
Presbyterian > Assembly of God > Christian Universalist > agnostic theist > atheist

I went to Sunday School at a very large Presbyterian church from a young age and went there along with my mother and sister until the end of high school. In my second year of college, I decided it was time to find a home church in that area, and a friend got me interested in a local AG church with a really committed and talented pastor. I was very active in that church for about 12 years and was even "baptized in the spirit" and received the gift of tongues along the way.

When I moved out of that town, I went briefly to a church in my new city, but it didn't feel like home to me. I was also struggling to reconcile life, humanity, and the world at large with my fundamentalist beliefs. I was briefly a universalist Christian (Christ died so ALL could go to heaven), then a simple theist, and then finally realized that atheism was the only position I could rationally support.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:18:21 PM

Quantum fluxuations.

Nice catch on the typ-o. This is what happens when I fail to proofread. Shall we go back and start counting yours, now?

Invalid question, and source unknown (to me).

Not certain. Was not present.

How do you know it hadn't done it before? Are there no other universes?

It wasn't a straw... It was a off-the-cuff response to an inane question. Please do, however, feel free to insert your deity into any of the gaps still remaining, however dwindling few. Those little gaps are the only places left, per human understanding.

http://cafewitteveen.files.wordpress.com...
-----

-- Robert A Heinlein
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:25:42 PM

The religious Pharisees thought they interpreted the scriptures pretty well, too, until the first saint came around testifying to the invisible Word of God.

John 5
37: And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen;
38: and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent.
39: You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;
40: yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
41: I do not receive glory from men.
42: But I know that you have not the love of God within you.
43: I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
44: How can you believe, who receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?

Only us saints are used by God to testify to Eternal Life;

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Life doesn't come to us from reading words in a book.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 11:44:49 PM

Particles are only illusions that are observed by an observer but don't contain any physical hard matter. Think of particles as pixels in a computer program called Photoshop that when sized to the right dimensions, we can observe a picture in a computer screen that makes sense to us humans. One pixel doesn't give us a whole picture to understand and neither does a particle.

It takes trillions of particles ( illusions ) for an observer to sense one picture of information and understand it once He has been taught what that illusion is.

When Adam was used to go name the illusions that He observed, God put syllables on his tongue and taught him how to sound out the name of the illusion that God wanted him to understand. Everything has to be taught by God because He's the one who created us and formed illusions called flesh for us to experience life with in a make-believe world ( universe ).
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 2:57:08 AM
I was raised as a theist and - like most people - simply trusted that my parents had done the research and knew what was and wasn't true. I think a substantial percentage of theists have a similar story. It wasn't until I was 33-years old that I began realizing that so much of reality, simply didn't fit with the beliefs I'd been raised to hold. But the very idea of questioning those ideas carried fears that if it was wrong to question them, I might be damaging my eternity. I thought about that for weeks before I finally satisfied myself in the rationality that if God was caring, loving, and all-knowing, it wouldn't make sense that he would hold it against anyone simply for being curious - even doubtful - and asking some questions.

I spent the next year looking for objective evidence that a God... any god, actually existed. By the time that year had passed, I reluctantly admitted to myself that I no longer believed. And that's when the shocking part happened - so much of what never made sense before, suddenly made perfect sense. And it has continued and grown since then.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 6:59:51 AM
At 10/22/2014 11:18:21 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:

Quantum fluxuations.

Nice catch on the typ-o. This is what happens when I fail to proofread. Shall we go back and start counting yours, now?

Invalid question, and source unknown (to me).

How do you know it hadn't done it before? Are there no other universes?

It wasn't a straw... It was a off-the-cuff response to an inane question. Please do, however, feel free to insert your deity into any of the gaps still remaining, however dwindling few. Those little gaps are the only places left, per human understanding.

http://cafewitteveen.files.wordpress.com...

Nothing inane about the question. The response maybe, but it is still a very thin straw.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 7:02:17 AM
At 10/22/2014 9:19:42 PM, bulproof wrote:

Quantum fluxuations.

Madman's answer to everything.
.....................................................................................MAGIC.......................................................................................................

Nope there is nothing magical about God, it is you who continually evokes that word not me. But then what else can I expect from an ignorant superstitious fool such as you, lol.