Jump to topic:

A Letter to God

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:34:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If God was real and took any any notice of you, what would you say to him?

Write your letter to God below. If He is loving and kind he might actually reply since apparently according to the bible stories, He can do miracles. Writing on a forum ought not be too hard for God to do since nothing is impossible for God.

Let's see what happens.

Can God prove that he exists?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:48:49 PM
I would probably keep it simple. I can think of, atm, just three questions I'd want answered and one request I'd want fulfilled. Here's what I'd write:

Dear God,

1. Why does evil exists?
2. Does free will exist?
3. Why do I exist--what is my importance and purpose?
4. Could you please ensure that YYW and I get married and have live happy, long, fulfilling, and love-filled lives together?

Thanks,
Brian.

(Sure, the "Dear God" bit sounds like I'm five and writing to Santa...but it seems rude to leave it out...)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:30:38 AM
Dear God,

I'm so pissed. Today my dog, Hunny ran into the woods by my house. She didn't come back for 3 hours! Then I had to give her a bath because she stank of rancid pond water. I decided to bathe my 2 other dogs as well. I had a headache after all that and wanted to relax. While I was resting my 6 year old let Hunny and one of the other dogs out and left them there. They disappeared and didn't come back for several hours. When they got back my husband put them in their crate and one of them threw up a grotesque mountainous pile of... something. BTW, they stink again.

Then I had to go to Walmart to buy a new filter for my hvac intake and more Keurig cups because I have a caffeine addiction and allergies. I really don't like Walmart but where else can I get K-cups and an air conditioner filter in one stop? Walmart gives me ADHD so it isn't surprising that I forgot my coffee. Yep, and I live on a mountain 30 minutes away from the nearest store. Tomorrow morning is going to be rough.

When I got home my mom called. I love talking to my mother, but she wanted to talk about Farmville for 30 minutes! Need I say more?

Finally, I have a moment to myself and so I'm writing you to let you know I'm in a bad mood. I knew you would understand.

-Jody

PS- I think I said the F word about 4 times today. I'm so sorry.

PPS- It might be too much to ask, but do you think maybe you could put a good word in for me with my sister, Sam? She's been mad at me for about two months now and is ignoring me.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:32:47 AM
Dear God,

Please tell these silly misguided people that you didn't write the Bible, didn't write the Qur'an, and have nothing to do with these silly works of men. Explain to them that it's okay to accept that slavery, rape, infanticide and genocide are detrimental to living together in groups, and therefore, can't really be considered moral within a human society. Explain that anyone with the character, emotional problems, lack of control and sadistic barbarity of the God of the Bible isn't a "compassionate, loving, benevolent" entity and is instead, much worse than Hitler, Stalin or Mao.

Explain to them that the claims of the Bible are so childish and obviously false, that they should be purely ashamed of having access to an organ as remarkable as the human brain, since it's painfully obvious that they're not using anything distal to the anterior spinal cord.

And if you don't exist, confirm that for us by not responding directly to this letter, in this thread. We all know you're omnipotent, so we'll be expecting your response in as little time as it takes for these words to be recorded on the hard drive at the site of the servers. So if you haven't responded within 2 or 3 seconds, it will be obvious that you don't exist and we can all get down to the task of using our brains to improve conditions for all species on the planet, instead of urging each other back into the Dark Ages in pursuit of Dark Ages mentalities and ridiculous superstitions.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:52:04 AM
At 10/22/2014 2:32:47 AM, Beastt wrote:
Dear God,

Please tell these silly misguided people that you didn't write the Bible, didn't write the Qur'an, and have nothing to do with these silly works of men. Explain to them that it's okay to accept that slavery, rape, infanticide and genocide are detrimental to living together in groups, and therefore, can't really be considered moral within a human society. Explain that anyone with the character, emotional problems, lack of control and sadistic barbarity of the God of the Bible isn't a "compassionate, loving, benevolent" entity and is instead, much worse than Hitler, Stalin or Mao.

Explain to them that the claims of the Bible are so childish and obviously false, that they should be purely ashamed of having access to an organ as remarkable as the human brain, since it's painfully obvious that they're not using anything distal to the anterior spinal cord.

And if you don't exist, confirm that for us by not responding directly to this letter, in this thread. We all know you're omnipotent, so we'll be expecting your response in as little time as it takes for these words to be recorded on the hard drive at the site of the servers. So if you haven't responded within 2 or 3 seconds, it will be obvious that you don't exist and we can all get down to the task of using our brains to improve conditions for all species on the planet, instead of urging each other back into the Dark Ages in pursuit of Dark Ages mentalities and ridiculous superstitions.

Dear Beastt,

This is nuts but God just sent me an IM and asked me to tell you to stop being so serious. He said you really need to focus on positive things and that even without him there will still be slavery, rape, infanticide and genocide. He said to tell you people did all those things and to stop fantasizing that religion is the only problem that humanity is facing.

Yours truly,
Jodybirdy
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:55:39 AM
At 10/22/2014 2:52:04 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Dear God,

Dear Beastt,

This is nuts but God just sent me an IM and asked me to tell you to stop being so serious. He said you really need to focus on positive things and that even without him there will still be slavery, rape, infanticide and genocide. He said to tell you people did all those things and to stop fantasizing that religion is the only problem that humanity is facing.

Yours truly,
Jodybirdy

The real God would have realized instantly that to be credible, he would have to respond directly to me in this thread as I asked. You must have been contacted by a false prophet.

There are likely more important things in the world, though the damage done by religion is hard to fully quantify. Anyway, I do recall having a life at one time and when that was the case, this did seem somewhat less important.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:59:50 AM
At 10/22/2014 2:55:39 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/22/2014 2:52:04 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Dear God,

Dear Beastt,

Yours truly,
Jodybirdy

The real God would have realized instantly that to be credible, he would have to respond directly to me in this thread as I asked. You must have been contacted by a false prophet.

There are likely more important things in the world, though the damage done by religion is hard to fully quantify. Anyway, I do recall having a life at one time and when that was the case, this did seem somewhat less important.

Darn those false profits.
FMAlchemist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 4:28:00 AM
Dear Yahweh,in case you are real i would like to ask you some questions.If you are omnipotent why communicate through a humans with books knowing they would be interpreted in many different ways or even modified instead of doing something else and why not leave a single trace that you do exist,and blame us for not believing in your existence by saying we didn't have faith? How are we supposed to distinguish which was the real god if there are many people claiming to know who is god and to also have their own divine revelation books? Also,why would you create everyone in the first place? If you are omniscient you would knew everything would go downhill and know that you would need to do incredible cruel things to save humanity even when you knew they weren't going to work,like when you flooded the entire world without leaving a single trace that it ever happened,burning two cities or sending your own son is also you to die painfully,and why create Satan if you knew he was going to betray you and why create him so dumb making he think he would be able to win against and omnipotent being? Also,about Jesus,why sacrifice him if you could just forgive everyone and make sin disappear and why would his limited sacrifice pay for eternal torture,or why would it even count as a sacrifice if he resurrected? I guess that's it for today,i have some other questions but you already know what are them because you are supposedly omniscient. Send the answers to my email,it is...oh wait,you already know what my email is,nevermind. Bye and God bless you...wait,nevermind again.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:25:36 AM
At 10/22/2014 5:19:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
Dear God,

Who really killed JFK?

God here, The FBI killed JFK

And where is Jimmy Hoffa buried?

Richard Kuklinski killed him and put him in an oil drum and it ended up in a scrap yard where the scrap went to Japan to make Toyotas.

Thanks.

You're welcome
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:28:01 AM
Dear God,

And if you don't exist, confirm that for us by not responding directly to this letter.

You are mentally retarded.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:32:48 PM
At 10/22/2014 9:28:01 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Dear God,

And if you don't exist, confirm that for us by not responding directly to this letter.

Do you think it's beyond the capability of the non-existent to not respond?
Don't take jabs you can't stand behind, or those which illustrate your lack of intellectual input.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 2:58:50 PM
Dear God,

Let us not insult one another here. This is a forum of intellectual discussion. If you have an issue with someones logic, then explain the issue with the logic and refrain from personal attacks.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 4:23:38 PM
At 10/21/2014 11:34:34 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Write your letter to God below. If He is loving and kind he might actually reply since apparently according to the bible stories, He can do miracles. Writing on a forum ought not be too hard for God to do since nothing is impossible for God.

Let's see what happens.

I've been in this forum for the past year and you still don't know Me.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 8:56:24 PM
What's this week's winning lotto numbers?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 9:18:34 PM
At 10/22/2014 9:25:36 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Dear God,

Who really killed JFK?

Richard Kuklinski killed him and put him in an oil drum and it ended up in a scrap yard where the scrap went to Japan to make Toyotas.

Thanks.

You're welcome

That was very helpful, God. Whilst you're in a good mood, could I trouble you for the Powerball numbers in next week's draw. Ta.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:13:54 AM
At 10/22/2014 2:32:48 PM, Beastt wrote:
Dear God,

Don't take jabs you can't stand behind, or those which illustrate your lack of intellectual input.

I'm not the one speaking to A being I don't believe exists,

Futhermore, I would question my own intellectual in-put by asking if I am an atheist why do I still have doubts about the existence of God, and why would I expect God to respond to my ridculous immature demands.

Especially if he don't exist.

Think about it, it may hurt and it may take a while.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:17:17 AM
At 10/22/2014 2:58:50 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Dear God,

Let us not insult one another here. This is a forum of intellectual discussion. If you have an issue with someones logic, then explain the issue with the logic and refrain from personal attacks.

Are you policing the forums, good. Becuase if you are, I think you will find it hard not to notice that beast does his own fair share of insults usualy drawing first blood.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:28:14 AM
At 10/22/2014 9:18:34 PM, dee-em wrote:
Dear God,

Who really killed JFK?

Thanks.

You're welcome

That was very helpful, God. Whilst you're in a good mood, could I trouble you for the Powerball numbers in next week's draw. Ta.

Oh dear one, I had bigger plans for you, if only you asked for the Euro millions.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 4:51:58 AM
At 10/23/2014 4:13:54 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 10/22/2014 2:32:48 PM, Beastt wrote:
Dear God,

I'm not the one speaking to A being I don't believe exists,

Futhermore, I would question my own intellectual in-put by asking if I am an atheist why do I still have doubts about the existence of God, and why would I expect God to respond to my ridculous immature demands.

Especially if he don't exist.

Think about it, it may hurt and it may take a while.

The point, John, is that you and people like you do believe that God exists. And you believe that regardless of the fact that there is absolutely no reason to believe it. And if God did exist, why shouldn't he respond? Why are you so quick to accept the idea of an all-powerful supreme entity that hides from his creation like a frightened child under the bed?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 5:58:14 AM
At 10/23/2014 4:28:14 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Dear God,

Who really killed JFK?

Thanks.

You're welcome

Oh dear one, I had bigger plans for you, if only you asked for the Euro millions.

Dear God,

As you are infallible, I'll take the Euro millions instead so that your plans are fulfilled.
Awaiting the details from you with great excitement.

Thx.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 7:10:59 AM

Let's see what happens.

The proof that hod exists is all around you, and in fact you are a part of that proof. His creation tells us all we need to know, though scripture does in fact expand on our knowledge of him.

What would I say to God?

What else can anyone say that it is reasonable to say?

Thank you for the life you have given me and all the opportunities that life puts in front of me for me to enjoy forever should I choose to.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 8:30:05 AM
At 10/23/2014 4:17:17 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Dear God,

Are you policing the forums, good. Becuase if you are, I think you will find it hard not to notice that beast does his own fair share of insults usualy drawing first blood.

Two wrongs don't make a right. If someone has recently engaged in negative or insulting behavior, please link me to the post and I will be happy to review it and speak the member in question.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:28:14 AM
At 10/23/2014 8:30:05 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:17:17 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Dear God,

Two wrongs don't make a right. If someone has recently engaged in negative or insulting behavior, please link me to the post and I will be happy to review it and speak the member in question.

I Make you right, only I haven't been on in a while but I will gladly forward any future links of insults by members. Thanks
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:31:28 AM
At 10/23/2014 5:58:14 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/23/2014 4:28:14 AM, johnlubba wrote:
Dear God,

Who really killed JFK?

Thanks.

You're welcome

Dear God,

As you are infallible, I'll take the Euro millions instead so that your plans are fulfilled.
Awaiting the details from you with great excitement.

Thx.

Oh Humble one, the numbers for the draw are, 7 11 22 33 15 18.

Just remember to be extra generous to my medium Johnlubba.

Now go.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 1:58:14 PM

Let's see what happens.

Dear God,

Hi!

Envisage
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 5:41:09 PM
At 10/21/2014 11:48:49 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I would probably keep it simple. I can think of, atm, just three questions I'd want answered and one request I'd want fulfilled. Here's what I'd write:

Dear God,

1. Why does evil exists?
2. Does free will exist?
4. Could you please ensure that YYW and I get married and have live happy, long, fulfilling, and love-filled lives together?

Thanks,
Brian.

(Sure, the "Dear God" bit sounds like I'm five and writing to Santa...but it seems rude to leave it out...)

Since God has not answered you, let me try to help you out with the answers.

1.Evil exists because God created it.
Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

2. Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
Free will exists in some cases and not in others.

3. Apparently all things were created for Gods pleasure. Your purpose is to give God pleasure.
Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

4. No, if you want that to happen you need to make it happen but understand the consequences will not be desirable.
Lev 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
Lev 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 6:58:56 PM
At 10/23/2014 5:41:09 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:48:49 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Dear God,

1. Why does evil exists?
2. Does free will exist?

Thanks,
Brian.

Since God has not answered you, let me try to help you out with the answers.

1.Evil exists because God created it.
Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

That is taken well out of context.

God did not create evil. Evil is not a thing which can be created, it is an attitude of mind which Satan developed in himself and taught to others.

This is a translation which gives a much more accurate, and rteasonable, sense of what is meant:

Isaiah 45:7
7 I form light and create darkness,
I make peace and create calamity;
I, Jehovah, am doing all these things.

2. Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
Free will exists in some cases and not in others.

Free will exists in all humans. The fact that God directs us does not mean that we will follow. That is our choice.

3. Apparently all things were created for Gods pleasure. Your purpose is to give God pleasure.
Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Again not an entirely accurate translation because Colossians 1:12-18 tells us about God's son that everything was created through him, as God's co-worker, and also for him. However they were all created according to God's will:
ASV(i) 12 giving thanks unto the Father, who made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light; 13 who delivered us out of the power of darkness, and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of his love; 14 in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins: 15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and unto him; 17 and he is before all things, and in him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Are you, I wonder, working under the false impression that God and Christ are part of a triune arrangement? Because that is pagan belief brought into Christianity after the Apostasy set in.

4. No, if you want that to happen you need to make it happen but understand the consequences will not be desirable.
Lev 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
Lev 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

The impression I get is that you are very right about that one, God detests all fornication but especially homosexual practices since they go completely against his design and purposes.