Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 10:37:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/23/2014 10:31:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
What is the point of a deistic god?
Warm fuzzies?

Not "no god". How does atheism answer where the universe came from? Anything but god?
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 10:39:32 PM
At 10/23/2014 10:37:49 PM, Karmanator wrote:
Warm fuzzies?

Not "no god". How does atheism answer where the universe came from? Anything but god?

It doesnt. It merely states that there is no evidence to support the conclusion that god exists.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 10:47:01 PM
Warm fuzzies?

PBG answered your question, but your question would seem to imply that the purpose of a deistic god is to create the universe, is this an accurate interpretation?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 10:57:49 PM
I dont see why god should be the exception to possibilities, just as plausible as a mutiverse. Say it were a mutiverse, we are talking an environment just "bubbling" universes, iswhat, some universe factory? What should we label something like that?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:02:28 PM

What do you mean by "the point of"?

Warm fuzzies?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:03:02 PM
At 10/23/2014 10:47:01 PM, bulproof wrote:
Warm fuzzies?

PBG answered your question, but your question would seem to imply that the purpose of a deistic god is to create the universe, is this an accurate interpretation?

I couldn't really answer as to motives of a god if it isnt communicating. That is accurate enough as far as humans are concerned. Why would it, probably cause it can.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:05:08 PM
At 10/23/2014 10:57:49 PM, Karmanator wrote:
I dont see why god should be the exception to possibilities, just as plausible as a mutiverse. Say it were a mutiverse, we are talking an environment just "bubbling" universes, iswhat, some universe factory? What should we label something like that?

This seems well off topic.

The Op asks:

In my previous post I asked:
Is your answer to create the universe?
Is this what you mean?
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:12:43 PM
At 10/23/2014 11:05:08 PM, bulproof wrote:

The Op asks:

Is this what you mean?

I see, took "whats the point" too far.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:19:17 PM
At 10/23/2014 11:12:43 PM, Karmanator wrote:

The Op asks:

Is this what you mean?

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding this dialogue at all. Can you help?
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:39:56 PM
At 10/23/2014 11:19:17 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/23/2014 11:12:43 PM, Karmanator wrote:

The Op asks:

Is this what you mean?

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding this dialogue at all. Can you help?

Well the point is not about warm fuzzies.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:49:29 PM
At 10/23/2014 11:02:28 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Warm fuzzies?
From what I understand a deistic god is supposed to have created the universe and that's it. There are no rules supplied, no afterlife, no communication. The End.
Why would anyone feel a need or be comforted by a belief in such a deity?
I mean christians and muslims believe in their deities because it gets them an after life and allegedly rules to live by and communication.
I can't see any point in believing in a deistic god and was wondering if someone could tell me.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:03:27 AM
At 10/23/2014 11:49:29 PM, bulproof wrote:

Warm fuzzies?
From what I understand a deistic god is supposed to have created the universe and that's it. There are no rules supplied, no afterlife, no communication. The End.

A deistic god is a god that started the universe and does not interact with it, that is correct (some deists might be able to argue for a universal afterlife, but I haven't found any good arguments for such).

Not all theists are theists to be comforted. Some people think that their god is real, so they believe in that god. Deists also think their god is real (or at least has a higher probability of existing than not), and so they believe in a deistic god.

I mean christians and muslims believe in their deities because it gets them an after life and allegedly rules to live by and communication.
I can't see any point in believing in a deistic god and was wondering if someone could tell me.
#WarOnDDO
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:03:38 AM
At 10/23/2014 11:49:29 PM, bulproof wrote:

Warm fuzzies?

Religion varies with deism as does thoughts of afterlife.

Once things were set in motion it was for all time, there is no reason for intervention it is already within nature.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:49:57 AM
So I'll try again.
"Bob" wants to know who or what created the universe.
Instead of accepting that he doesn't know, he invents a god of no consequence.
So is it just because he wants an answer and the answer he comes up with is the least controversial? He doesn't really need to commit himself and it gives him the warm and fuzzies to have an answer.
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:37:10 AM
At 10/24/2014 12:49:57 AM, bulproof wrote:
So I'll try again.
So is it just because he wants an answer and the answer he comes up with is the least controversial? He doesn't really need to commit himself and it gives him the warm and fuzzies to have an answer.

Belief is a judgement of truth. For an answer that can go either way a god is possible and is believed to be the truth. Like when you decide guilty or not guilty in a jury, we dont always know, but we always make a judgement. Besides that a benevolent god doesn't appear to be helping us out so it confirms the reality of the situation. To be honest that sort of god doesnt exactly give warm fuzzies.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:14:32 AM
At 10/24/2014 9:37:10 AM, Karmanator wrote:
So I'll try again.

Belief is a judgement of truth. For an answer that can go either way a god is possible and is believed to be the truth. Like when you decide guilty or not guilty in a jury, we dont always know, but we always make a judgement. Besides that a benevolent god doesn't appear to be helping us out so it confirms the reality of the situation. To be honest that sort of god doesnt exactly give warm fuzzies.

No but your deistic god does give you that, because it has no influence on your existence.
The deistic god is the same as no god at all.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:17:27 AM
So I'll try again.

Not exactly. Until Quantum Physics came along, causality was one of the most important aspects of discussing a god, where everything needed a cause. If everything needs a cause (which we now understand isn't the case), then what caused the universe? If it was something natural, what caused that? So on, and so forth. A deistic god could replace that, an uncaused cause.

Today, I see people believing in a deistic god because of a few reasons.
1) They think dualism is more likely than materialism.
2) They still follow the belief that everything needs a cause.
3) The teleological argument.

Those are just 3 reasons why some people believe in a deistic god. Not because it gives them "warm feels", but because they think one exists.
#WarOnDDO
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:23:42 AM
At 10/24/2014 10:14:32 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/24/2014 9:37:10 AM, Karmanator wrote:
So I'll try again.

No but your deistic god does give you that, because it has no influence on your existence.
The deistic god is the same as no god at all.

Well reality would appear the same for both perspectives of course.

For me god is in nature since the beginning of time, and everything happens all at once for a god. We are a part of the nature too. For monotheists to claim a god that needs to interfere isn't a perfect god that's an incompetent god that needs to fix things constantly.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:40:53 AM
Warm fuzzies?

What kind of nonsensical question is this?

What is the point of a planet?
What is the point of a star?
What is the point of a black hole?
What is the point of a non-existent God?

These questions are all meaningless, as they have built-in presuppositions (some imbued purpose).
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:44:29 AM
At 10/24/2014 10:40:53 AM, Envisage wrote:
Warm fuzzies?

These questions are all meaningless, as they have built-in presuppositions (some imbued purpose).

It is nonsensical, but I think that the point he is trying to make (without actually saying it) makes sense to both theists and atheists.

The theists want a "god" to exist because it resolve all the difficult questions regarding the existence of morality, creation etc. Yet it absolves them from actually having to conform themselves to a set morality because you cannot know the mind of God. Thus there is no authority to tell you what morality is. It steals the concept of an afterlife from theists without having to acknowledge what is necessary for an afterlife. Sure Joe cheated on his wife, but he was funny when we played card or golf. He must be on the great golf course in heaven...

Deism is a bit of a fence sitter on both sides, it is a smidge more towads theism than agnosticism without practically being much more.
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:05:57 PM
Warm fuzzies?

Any religion can be deist, it even makes more sense than the anthropomorphized god people wish exists. Deism is simply a theological stance and hardly says anything about their religion.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:23:32 PM
At 10/24/2014 11:44:29 AM, Geogeer wrote:
Warm fuzzies?

It is nonsensical, but I think that the point he is trying to make (without actually saying it) makes sense to both theists and atheists.

The theists want a "god" to exist because it resolve all the difficult questions regarding the existence of morality, creation etc. Yet it absolves them from actually having to conform themselves to a set morality because you cannot know the mind of God. Thus there is no authority to tell you what morality is. It steals the concept of an afterlife from theists without having to acknowledge what is necessary for an afterlife. Sure Joe cheated on his wife, but he was funny when we played card or golf. He must be on the great golf course in heaven...

Deism is a bit of a fence sitter on both sides, it is a smidge more towads theism than agnosticism without practically being much more.

I don't see how deism is at all a "Fence sitter" position, they positively claim a God exists, they just make fewer claims about the attributes of what their God is when compared with religious positions.

I was a deist for a while, but only because I had to trim my concept of God to keep him reconcilable. So maybe in practice it's a fence sitting position, but logically it's diametrically opposed to atheism.