Total Posts:167|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why do atheists come to the religion forum?

LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:12:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why? Is God like the monster that was in their closet or under the bed when we were children, and we had to sleep wtih the light on or with the closet door open , or maybe our dad had to cut the legs off our bed to make is short so the monster could not hide under it? Just do whatever needs to be done to make sure the monster can't sneak up on us? After all, isn't God like the Flying SpaghettiMonster? What if the Flying Spaghetti Monster really is there in the religious forum. Can somebody make it go away please?
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:17:42 PM
I personally participate on religious forums to challenge my own ideas about religion. Also, I do it on the off chance that someone might actually provide a rational, evidenced argument for the existence of a god.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:28:25 PM
At 10/23/2014 11:12:41 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Why? Is God like the monster that was in their closet or under the bed when we were children, and we had to sleep wtih the light on or with the closet door open , or maybe our dad had to cut the legs off our bed to make is short so the monster could not hide under it? Just do whatever needs to be done to make sure the monster can't sneak up on us? After all, isn't God like the Flying SpaghettiMonster? What if the Flying Spaghetti Monster really is there in the religious forum. Can somebody make it go away please?

And here once again you fail miserably in your understanding of atheism. Your flavour of god is the one most talked about here because your religion is the one most talked about here.
Atheists don't believe in any gods, yours is only special in that most of the religious on here claim to believe in it.
If you wish to discuss your religion, which is your belief in a god, then people refuting you contentions regarding your religion will be refuting what you believe.
It's not rocket surgery.
Fallaciously claiming that atheists are in fear of your god is simply silly, we can't be scared of the non existent.
It's the christian who is ordered to FEAR your god.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:57:06 AM
At 10/23/2014 11:17:42 PM, Burzmali wrote:
I personally participate on religious forums to challenge my own ideas about religion. Also, I do it on the off chance that someone might actually provide a rational, evidenced argument for the existence of a god.

+1
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:19:36 AM

No. Because they love to get laughs from seeing people like you post the funniest stuff. Keep up the stand up routine.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:20:19 AM
Religious debate doesn't encompass only religions, but also the lack of religions. Atheists have as much to say about world views as do the religious and quite often, we can present evidence to support our ideas which tend to be consistent with our disbelief in any gods. A 2010 PEW poll revealed that atheists/agnostics tend to demonstrate a superior religious literacy to that of any theist group. Many of us are atheists because we haven't simply ignored religion but have spent considerable time, effort and research on religious ideas and claims.

As a former theist I found that atheism was far more capable of explaining the realities of the world than any religion of which I am familiar. I also find that many theists seem to know embarrassingly little about their own proclaimed beliefs. Few Christians seem to understand the process by which Christianity was forged, or the actual process by which the Bible canon was adopted. When confronted with this reality, many become instantly angry and defensive rather than curious and interested.

Atheists have at least as much to say about religions as do any of the religious, and no religious discussion is really complete without them.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:37:49 AM
At 10/24/2014 1:19:36 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

No. Because they love to get laughs from seeing people like you post the funniest stuff. Keep up the stand up routine.

+1
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:38:09 AM
I come because I love to destroy the claims of these self-proclaimed ' believers ' invariably using their own propaganda to successfully do so!
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 2:34:15 AM
At first I pondered this question myself and I have come to conclusion that they come here for the very same reasons most theists are here. To share their ideas about the subject of religion and to connect with like minded people. They have a right to be here and I find what they have to offer to the discussions interesting and sometimes enlightening.

I'm going to say it outright. For many people (theists too) it's all about affecting change in another person's belief system in this forum , conversion vs. de-conversion, and I find it fascinating to read the discussions. It makes me think. There are some brilliant people in this forum. Albeit genius and insanity often walk hand in hand.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 8:50:34 AM
At 10/24/2014 1:20:19 AM, Beastt wrote:
Religious debate doesn't encompass only religions, but also the lack of religions. Atheists have as much to say about world views as do the religious and quite often, we can present evidence to support our ideas which tend to be consistent with our disbelief in any gods. A 2010 PEW poll revealed that atheists/agnostics tend to demonstrate a superior religious literacy to that of any theist group. Many of us are atheists because we haven't simply ignored religion but have spent considerable time, effort and research on religious ideas and claims.

As a former theist I found that atheism was far more capable of explaining the realities of the world than any religion of which I am familiar. I also find that many theists seem to know embarrassingly little about their own proclaimed beliefs. Few Christians seem to understand the process by which Christianity was forged, or the actual process by which the Bible canon was adopted. When confronted with this reality, many become instantly angry and defensive rather than curious and interested.

Atheists have at least as much to say about religions as do any of the religious, and no religious discussion is really complete without them.

If religion encompasses the lack of religion, then I suppose religion is equipped to discuss the lack of religion and the philosophies of life which are spawned from the lack of religion......if the lack of religion gives rise to any philoophy in any individual or group of individuals. Some atheists make careers out of attempting to encompass religion with non-religion. I do not see how that is possible unless you can eradicate God the same way our parents got rid of the monsters which were hiding under or beds or in our closets at night when we were innocent little children.

I've heard what the atheists have to say abotut the world, about religion, about God, about life, and about just about everything else they claim to know or believe all of my life. I was an atheist for most of my life and had atheism taught to me through the public schools and the educational and entertainment media of television and other forms of mass media. I read all kinds of religious books and non-religious books, philoshopy and psychology books written by atheist and by people who believe in God.
I came to the point where I believe in God for good reasons. I was an atheist, but I was not closed minded because I never assumed I truly knew what eternity would be when the breath of life is gone from my body. I tried to believe I would cease to exist comepletey after my breath was taken away, but I could not stand on that position too long. I had this nagging feeling that I could be wrong and I wanted to have something I could hold onto for that moment when my time is finally counted down forever and my body returns to the dust it came from. I explored americanized Hindusim and deep meditations and "soul-travel". Catholicism was much too ritualistic for me to believe in, I never had confidence in anybody who could not convince me that I would be safe if I continue to exist after death. Islam seemed coercive even before I learned of it's animostiy and hatred agaisnt Jews and Christians taught in the Quran. The coerciveness of Islam which said I must address God as Allah and believe Muhammed is the final authority for revealing God to mankind never seemed to offer any good reason for me to trust Islam. Buddism was too much like Hinduism for me to bother exploring in depth. I now have learned that Buddism is an offshoot of Hinduism, from when Budda claimed to have a new and better revelation or explanation of being than Hinduism's much older teachigns.

You don't have to do a lot of research to know you have done wrong, and all wrongdoing is against God who desires all to do nothing wrong. Once we have done wrong, it's too late. We are wrongdoers by nature of what we are. History cannot be changed, the things we have said, done, thought, and imagined cannot be undone. Doing wrong leads to death, and death is forever.. We are all sinners and we all deserve to die. I know this is hard for many people to believe or admit, but if we do not deserve to die, if we really deserve to live, why do we not have the power to keep ourselves from dying? Are we really worthy of living? If we are worthy of living, why does a moment come when we are suddenly incapable of living? At that moment, can anybody really say they are worthy of living? Are we justified to live? If we are justifed to live, why are we deprived of our right to live in that moment when death cannot be denied? Who has the right to end our time? Nobody at all has the right to end our time or does God have the right to end our time?

So atheists think they know the answers to all quesions of personal existence beyond the final countdown of their time. I think they have jumped to wrong conclusion, even if ti took them a lifetime of study and research before they reached the conclusion and the leap of fatih they made was a life-long leap. The religion forum probably will always consist of more people who believe God is there than who do not believe God is there, and there will always be a group of people who do not feel sure of what they believe like me after I started questioning the wisdom of being an atheist while I was still an atheist.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 8:53:02 AM
At 10/23/2014 11:17:42 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Good for you! A closed mind is a mind that cannot know God loves you.

Thank you for your gentlemanly input.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:00:49 AM
At 10/23/2014 11:28:25 PM, bulproof wrote:

And here once again you fail miserably in your understanding of atheism. Your flavour of god is the one most talked about here because your religion is the one most talked about here.
Atheists don't believe in any gods, yours is only special in that most of the religious on here claim to believe in it.
If you wish to discuss your religion, which is your belief in a god, then people refuting you contentions regarding your religion will be refuting what you believe.
It's not rocket surgery.
Fallaciously claiming that atheists are in fear of your god is simply silly, we can't be scared of the non existent.
Well I'm sorry that Jesus Christ affected the world so much that our calender is based on the time of His arrival into this world as a man born of a woman and his departure from this world when He ascended to Heaven after many infallible proofs of His resurrection, being seen alive and having ate with His disciples who became His sent ones (apostles) to carry the good news of His resurrection throughout the world and they happily sacrificed their lives and all they had in this world to spread that message. He was seen alive of over 500 at one time before He commissioned his disciples to preach the gospel to every creature in all the world and they were hated for in so many ways turning the world upside down. Nobody is ordered to fear God by the Word of God. God does try to persuade people to fear Him who has the power to destroy both soul and body in Hell.

So I guess you come to the religion forum only to attack and insult Christians. Ok.
Thank you for your input.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:03:17 AM
I guess you are on a mission to seek out and destroy the Flying Spaghetti Monster and make sure everybody knows forever that they are safe from the Flying Spaghetti Monster. There is nothing wrong with trying to help people, and if you really think you are being helpful to people, keep up the good work.

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:08:42 AM
At 10/24/2014 9:03:17 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
I guess you are on a mission to seek out and destroy the Flying Spaghetti Monster and make sure everybody knows forever that they are safe from the Flying Spaghetti Monster. There is nothing wrong with trying to help people, and if you really think you are being helpful to people, keep up the good work.

You do realize atheists don't literally believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was a mockery invention to show religion can be about anything. You could worship an all powerful grilled cheesed sandwhich. However, they wanted to go with flying spaghetti monster instead.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:19:41 AM
At 10/24/2014 9:00:49 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 10/23/2014 11:28:25 PM, bulproof wrote:

It's not rocket surgery.
Well I'm sorry that Jesus Christ affected the world so much that our calender is based on the time of His arrival into this world as a man born of a woman
That is a determination of the Catholic church, just like the bible that you have no reason to believe is the word of god.
and his departure from this world when He ascended to Heaven after many infallible proofs of His resurrection, being seen alive and having ate with His disciples who became His sent ones (apostles) to carry the good news of His resurrection
Are there any eye witnesses to support these claims? I thought not.
throughout the world and they happily sacrificed their lives and all they had in this world to spread that message.
Do you have evidence that the apostles were killed for their beliefs?
He was seen alive of over 500 at one time
Do you have any eyewitness reports from those alleged 500? Or is it just like me saying that 100 people witnessed a Sasquatch running down my street while I wasn't there?
before He commissioned his disciples to preach the gospel to every creature in all the world and they were hated for in so many ways turning the world upside down.
Do you have any evidence to support this claim?
Nobody is ordered to fear God by the Word of God. God does try to persuade people to fear Him who has the power to destroy both soul and body in Hell.
Have you not read the book allegedly called the word of god. No-one has ever supported such a claim.
So I guess you come to the religion forum only to attack and insult Christians. Ok.
Questioning your unsupported claims, in regard to your religious beliefs, is not an attack or an insult.

Do you understand the concept of discussion?
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:23:58 AM
They come hear to either educate themselves and share knowledge and beliefs.......OR they come here to antagonize others......Both are easily identifiable....via their posts and questions.

Don't waste your time with the antagonists!
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 2:50:49 PM
At 10/24/2014 9:23:58 AM, biznis wrote:
They come hear to either educate themselves and share knowledge and beliefs.......OR they come here to antagonize others......Both are easily identifiable....via their posts and questions.

Don't waste your time with the antagonists!

What you can't seem to allow yourself to recognize is that we also come here to teach and to challenge your ideas, as well as our own. And our ideas are found not to be based on contradictions and beliefs unsupported by reality. Religions tend to be more attractive to the less intelligent, than to the more intelligent. This has been confirmed and re-confirmed through dozens of objective studies.

It's always easier to label someone an "antagonist", than to admit that they make stronger, more rational,, more logical and supported observations than the beliefs that you hold. Are you even familiar with the processes involved in the origin of the Bible? And if you are, then why do you believe the Bible is true, or that it has anything to do with God? It's origins are completely inconsistent with those claims.

Consider for a moment that you are human, and have likely adopted the religious which was first offered to you. As a human, you're fallible. So don't be so quick to label someone an "antagonist" simply because they have valid supportable reasons to advise you that your beliefs are not true.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 3:03:11 PM
beastt is always ready to sell that horse crap that it"s providing a free public service of agitating anyone who doesn"t believe what it does. If it"s claims for none belief where realistic, one might consider it"s postings but its obvious its working to get responses. And has nothing to do with making sense of things said or posted.
Karmanator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 3:05:08 PM
That flying spaghetti monster sneaks up in my families and friends heads and turns them in to big ole hypocrites with a capital H and superstitious hypocrites to boot. People call themselves conservative, LMAO! They are the first to lie cheat and steal, and they are the first ones to disown their own family.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:49:39 PM
Is God like the monster that was in their closet or under the bed when we were children,

Yes, except that everyone grew out of the baseless fear of the closet monster.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:17:01 PM
Why? Is God like the monster that was in their closet or under the bed when we were children, and we had to sleep wtih the light on or with the closet door open , or maybe our dad had to cut the legs off our bed to make is short so the monster could not hide under it?

Only the ones in "holy" books.

Just do whatever needs to be done to make sure the monster can't sneak up on us?

You mean "...like a thief in the night...?"

After all, isn't God like the Flying SpaghettiMonster?

Um, no.

What if the Flying Spaghetti Monster really is there in the religious forum. Can somebody make it go away please?

You can try.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 6:36:40 AM

The logical fallacy you're employing is Begging the Question, in that you are automatically asserting, based on your belief system, that God exists, which is understandable from your perspective, but it isn't the perspective of others who have no reason to believe your God or any other god exists.

Hence, we don't consider monsters under our beds in the same way you don't consider monsters under your bed; ie. other gods that you don't accept as existing. For example, would you consider Thor or Zeus a monster under your bed?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 7:49:37 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:38:09 AM, Composer wrote:
I come because I love to destroy the claims of these self-proclaimed ' believers ' invariably using their own propaganda to successfully do so!

you are only destoying yourself.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 7:51:34 PM
At 10/25/2014 6:36:40 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

The logical fallacy you're employing is Begging the Question, in that you are automatically asserting, based on your belief system, that God exists, which is understandable from your perspective, but it isn't the perspective of others who have no reason to believe your God or any other god exists.

Hence, we don't consider monsters under our beds in the same way you don't consider monsters under your bed; ie. other gods that you don't accept as existing. For example, would you consider Thor or Zeus a monster under your bed?

ok, so you are here to attack the idea that there could be a monster under your bed, and you are here to try to get others to realize there is no monster under their bed. Thank you for your efforts, keep up the good work.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 7:54:41 PM
At 10/24/2014 12:57:06 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Ok, good. There is still hope for you to be saved from Hell.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 8:01:45 PM

We are all like each other in that we are all sinners worthy of death. We are all unique individuals. There is only one me and nobody like me except in that we are all sinners who deserve to die and burn in Hell. I don't know why you find this funny, and I don't know why anybody would get laughs from this, but you and they are allowed to do that while you are here.

Thank you for your input, Punk, but I think your answer is dumb and far from explainging for all the atheists why they come here. Many of them have already given serious answers which make your answer out to be a lie. You sound like a punk. I guess that's why you call yourself Punk. I hope you are proud of yourself, Punk.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 8:04:39 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:20:19 AM, Beastt wrote:

I could happily have a never ending discussion with Jesus and no atheists. Jesus Christ is not a religion, He is a person, He is God. This is where atheists miss the boat.

Thank you for your input just the same. God loves you. I hope you get saved from Hell and live forever in heaven.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 8:06:56 PM
At 10/25/2014 8:01:45 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

We are all like each other in that we are all sinners worthy of death. We are all unique individuals. There is only one me and nobody like me except in that we are all sinners who deserve to die and burn in Hell. I don't know why you find this funny, and I don't know why anybody would get laughs from this, but you and they are allowed to do that while you are here.

Thank you for your input, Punk, but I think your answer is dumb and far from explainging for all the atheists why they come here. Many of them have already given serious answers which make your answer out to be a lie. You sound like a punk. I guess that's why you call yourself Punk. I hope you are proud of yourself, Punk.

I am never proud of myself. To be proud of anything in my view, is a sin. I keep feeling like you don't even know what a punk is and that you use it as an insult.

My answer is my own opinion on how you try to degrade atheists while asking questions.

And like you and the atheists, I will see you in heaven when I die. :)

God Bless Ya.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 8:07:16 PM
At 10/24/2014 2:34:15 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At first I pondered this question myself and I have come to conclusion that they come here for the very same reasons most theists are here. To share their ideas about the subject of religion and to connect with like minded people. They have a right to be here and I find what they have to offer to the discussions interesting and sometimes enlightening.

I'm going to say it outright. For many people (theists too) it's all about affecting change in another person's belief system in this forum , conversion vs. de-conversion, and I find it fascinating to read the discussions. It makes me think. There are some brilliant people in this forum. Albeit genius and insanity often walk hand in hand.

So is the effect you hope to have on the beliefs of others beneficial to them, and how is it beneficial? Of course you mean well in your attempts to influence the beliefs of others......at least I assume that much. I am correct, right? You mean well in your attempts to inflence the beliefs of others?

LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 8:09:45 PM
At 10/24/2014 9:08:42 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/24/2014 9:03:17 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

You do realize atheists don't literally believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was a mockery invention to show religion can be about anything. You could worship an all powerful grilled cheesed sandwhich. However, they wanted to go with flying spaghetti monster instead.

Ok. That works for me. So the atheists come here to prove God is the same as the Flying Spaghetting Monster. I thought we were past that. I hope you are enjoying the comedy.