Jump to topic:

Death

LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 9:55:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm sure you've discussed this before, but I guess I haven't really ever thought about it until recently. Maybe there's a better forum for this also. I don't know.

What happens when you die? I just want to see what people from different belief systems think. Mainly those who don't believe in any sort of heaven or anything.

Sorry if this is just a stupid topic.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:02:29 PM
At 4/19/2010 9:59:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 4/19/2010 9:56:41 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Nothing

Well that's a morbid though. D:

How's that? No worries, no suffering.

Nothingness is pure bliss. Nothing morbid about it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:03:42 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:02:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Nothingness is pure bliss. Nothing morbid about it.

It's not pure bliss lol it's nothing.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:05:40 PM
At 4/19/2010 9:55:37 PM, LeafRod wrote:
I'm sure you've discussed this before, but I guess I haven't really ever thought about it until recently. Maybe there's a better forum for this also. I don't know.

What happens when you die? I just want to see what people from different belief systems think. Mainly those who don't believe in any sort of heaven or anything.

Sorry if this is just a stupid topic.

When you die, your body is either buried or cremated. Your body is decomposed or dissolves into the air in the form of smoke.

You may keep your consciousness after that, but even that will eventually fade into nothingness.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:07:26 PM
Consciousness; your state of living, being composed of the physical faculties within your brain, fail to function upon moment of death thus rendering yourself void of any further experience or sensation from thereafter said point of death.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:10:53 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:05:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

When you die, your body is either buried or cremated. Your body is decomposed or dissolves into the air in the form of smoke.

You may keep your consciousness after that, but even that will eventually fade into nothingness.

BS mysticism but by says who? No Budda Hindu stuff please.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:16:38 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:03:42 PM, theLwerd wrote:

It's not pure bliss lol it's nothing.

That's what I was thinking.

I personally believe that we remain part of the fabric of existence eternally.

When we achieve enlightenment, we all become Buddhas, or part of one Buddha, as drops within the eternal pool of being.

And our consciousness will be a product of how it continues to mold through its experiences during physical manifestation.

And Heaven and Earth will become one, and will expand forever as parts of God.

And we will become the dust from which we came, and remain a part of the world of which we were borne.

...for, matter is neither created, nor destroyed.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:17:42 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:02:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2010 9:59:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 4/19/2010 9:56:41 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Nothing

Well that's a morbid though. D:

How's that? No worries, no suffering.

Nothingness is pure bliss.

Why are you still alive then?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:26:10 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:22:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Geo, as a Buddhist, don't you believe in reincarnation?

Buddhists don't believe in reincarnation. They believe some next crap that is openly pseudoreligious but sound all magical and mystic so suckaz fall into it(unless your asian).
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:27:08 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:26:10 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Buddhists don't believe in reincarnation. They believe some next crap that is openly pseudoreligious but sound all magical and mystic so suckaz fall into it(unless your asian).

Not that I agree with this in any way, but that was effing hilarious.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:31:48 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:10:53 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

I would say that consciousness ends immediately at death but its hard for me to deny near death experiences. There's too much evidence for a surviving consciousness.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:39:01 PM

Buddhists don't believe in reincarnation.

Sort of. It's the cycle of death and rebirth, and can be interpreted differently but is thought of as a form of reincarnation.

They believe some next crap that is openly pseudoreligious

As if "religious" were a positive word to begin with. I'd probably prefer Buddhism to lose the stigma of a religion.

but sound all magical and mystic so suckaz fall into it(unless your asian).

There's nothing magical or mystical about it. Buddhism is against magic and mysticism.

You have absolutely no knowledge of Buddhism and thus can only resort to ad hominems that don't even apply.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:40:04 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:31:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2010 10:10:53 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

I would say that consciousness ends immediately at death but its hard for me to deny near death experiences. There's too much evidence for a surviving consciousness.

And you are not theist why? Of all people, your not? why? If anyone would believe in a-human-like-old-who-makes-things-and-cares-about-what-these-little-people-that-he-created-for-no-reason-do,-people-that-must-love-him-otherwise-he-burns-them-for-eva ita be you. I mean why not, Is as crazy as the other stuff you say.

I mean srsly. Lizard guys who build underwater settlements the panentheism. It not that far off.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:40:34 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:39:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Sort of. It's the cycle of death and rebirth, and can be interpreted differently but is thought of as a form of reincarnation.

As if "religious" were a positive word to begin with. I'd probably prefer Buddhism to lose the stigma of a religion.

There's nothing magical or mystical about it. Buddhism is against magic and mysticism.

You have absolutely no knowledge of Buddhism and thus can only resort to ad hominems that don't even apply.

Yea, I hardly consider Buddhism a religion, more a philosophy. I think alot of people consider it religion because of its origins in Hinduism.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:44:18 PM

Buddhists believe in reincarnation. Some Buddhist sects believe in "heaven" type realms to meditate with a Buddha at until they are ready to reincarnate and try again at Nirvana.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:46:43 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:39:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No we're all god, we become the "one who is whole but isn't god or a person" the panentheist entity.

P*ssies!

Right, because there is evidence for unknown occurrences incoherent with science but having nothing to do with god.

I'm joking, lol. I do I just wanted to try something out. My knowledge of Buddhism is fair I knew one for a while.

It's been fun.

I'll return to my normal self of now.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:49:46 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:40:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Yea, I hardly consider Buddhism a religion, more a philosophy.

Yeah, its a philosophy, but it has the devotional aspect and thus qualifies as a religion.

I think alot of people consider it religion because of its origins in Hinduism.

Well, it was a rejection of Hinduism, but yeah, it did originate from it.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:54:02 PM
What is the anthropological idea for the nature of Buddhism? It's not on the evolution of religion scale in which monotheism being the last. Even as a non religion it is a mystic so how and what?

Self help?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:55:04 PM

Geo, it is medical fact that brain activity continues for up to 5 minutes after a heart stops. This is what a near death experience is; a dream. True death isn't when your heart stops beating, it's when your brain ends in all function.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:57:49 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:54:02 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
What is the anthropological idea for the nature of Buddhism? It's not on the evolution of religion scale in which monotheism being the last. Even as a non religion it is a mystic so how and what?

Self help?

What? Buddhism claims no gods, so it's far out evolved monotheistic religions.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:57:50 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:49:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2010 10:40:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Yea, I hardly consider Buddhism a religion, more a philosophy.

Yeah, its a philosophy, but it has the devotional aspect and thus qualifies as a religion.

I think alot of people consider it religion because of its origins in Hinduism.

Well, it was a rejection of Hinduism, but yeah, it did originate from it.

Yea, we talked about that in my comparative civilizations class. Buddha was raised as a Hindu, but didn't like the caste system or something so rejected it for his own ideas. Fair enough though. The caste system is used as a form of oppression in India, lol.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:00:19 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:44:18 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Buddhists believe in reincarnation. Some Buddhist sects believe in "heaven" type realms

*Some* sects, yes. However, when people asked Buddha about the afterlife, he responded with silence.

to meditate with a Buddha at until they are ready to reincarnate and try again at Nirvana.

Well, Nirvana's not a place, nor is there anything after Nirvana.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:00:29 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:57:49 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 4/19/2010 10:54:02 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Self help?

What? Buddhism claims no gods, so it's far out evolved monotheistic religions.

But is has all the mystics of the Pre monotheist Hinduism.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:02:16 PM
At 4/19/2010 10:55:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Geo, it is medical fact that brain activity continues for up to 5 minutes after a heart stops. This is what a near death experience is; a dream. True death isn't when your heart stops beating, it's when your brain ends in all function.

What about near death experiences that lost for several hours while clinically dead?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:04:15 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:00:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2010 10:44:18 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Buddhists believe in reincarnation. Some Buddhist sects believe in "heaven" type realms

*Some* sects, yes. However, when people asked Buddha about the afterlife, he responded with silence.

Well, the sects that believe Buddah to be a god came after the original Buddhism that does not worship him as a god (he wouldn't he have wanted to be worshiped as a god). People just tend to ruin everything.

to meditate with a Buddha at until they are ready to reincarnate and try again at Nirvana.

Well, Nirvana's not a place, nor is there anything after Nirvana.

I never implied that Nirvana was a place. Have you never heard of the "Buddah Heavens" some Buddhists believe in? It's very much like Jainism (which originated after Buddhism). They are not the state that is Nirvana (or should I say non-state) - just a higher place than earth.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:04:17 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:02:16 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

What about near death experiences that lost for several hours while clinically dead?

Ah, the brain can do funny things. Try taking LSD sometime. I prefer shrooms (more intense lulz).
President of DDO