Christian Apologetic

biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 5:59:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello,

Can I get some questions answered from a Christian apologetic out there who is willing to field any valid question?

However, before I can ask my first question.....I need to see how the following terms are being defined by the person I will be asking the questions too. Words that are commonly used throughout Christianity and Judaism. Ten word or less definition's would be great!

1. Scripture

2. Word Of God

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

Thanks,

Tom
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 8:23:39 AM
At 10/24/2014 5:59:09 AM, biznis wrote:
Hello,

Can I get some questions answered from a Christian apologetic out there who is willing to field any valid question?

Well I'm no expert but I'd be more than willing to discuss this with you. One quick question, who decides what a "valid" question is? ;)

However, before I can ask my first question.....I need to see how the following terms are being defined by the person I will be asking the questions too. Words that are commonly used throughout Christianity and Judaism. Ten word or less definition's would be great!

1. Scripture

Any writings in the Bible.

2. Word Of God

Can be Scripture or this name has been attributed to Jesus Christ.

3. God-Breathed

A term used to describe Holy Scripture.

4. God-Inspired

Same as #3

Thanks,

Tom

Anytime
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 8:50:19 AM
Thanks for responding Jharry.

As far as who determines what is a valid question? When I say valid......
I mean non-inflammatory questions , or intelligible questions.
As long as they are sincere....they would be valid.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:04:47 AM
At 10/24/2014 8:50:19 AM, biznis wrote:
Thanks for responding Jharry.

As far as who determines what is a valid question? When I say valid......
I mean non-inflammatory questions , or intelligible questions.
As long as they are sincere....they would be valid.

Sounds good to me.
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:06:51 AM
At 10/24/2014 8:23:39 AM, jharry wrote:
Hello,

Well I'm no expert but I'd be more than willing to discuss this with you. One quick question, who decides what a "valid" question is? ;)

1. Scripture

2. Word Of God

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

Same as #3

Thanks,

Tom

Anytime

Sorry JHarry.....but I was looking for clearer definitions before I can proceed with my questions. I don't see how god-breathed and god-inspired could be exactly the same either. But again, thanks for responding!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:22:59 AM
At 10/24/2014 9:06:51 AM, biznis wrote:
At 10/24/2014 8:23:39 AM, jharry wrote:
Hello,

1. Scripture

2. Word Of God

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

Same as #3

Thanks,

Tom

Anytime

Sorry JHarry.....but I was looking for clearer definitions before I can proceed with my questions. I don't see how god-breathed and god-inspired could be exactly the same either. But again, thanks for responding!

No problem, I've seen both used to described the same thing in Holy Scripture.

I think 2 Tim 3:16 Is translated both ways, depending on the version you are using.

16 All Scripture is God-breathed

16 Every scripture inspired of God
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:43:37 AM
I would rather if quotes from the bible were not used as definitions to these words if possible. With a little thought, clear definitions' can be given to these words just like with any other words. Clear definitions that we can both agree upon.

This is what I have so far for definitions...I'll tackle what I think to be easier defined words first.

Scripture-Skip for now

God-Breathed- God spoken, Words directly from God, God Quote, Not paraphrased

Word Of God- Skip for now

God-Inspired- Inspired by God.... that's all I have

That's as much as I can fill-in so far for definitions......Are you OK with my definition of God-Breathed?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:04:50 AM
At 10/24/2014 9:43:37 AM, biznis wrote:
I would rather if quotes from the bible were not used as definitions to these words if possible. With a little thought, clear definitions' can be given to these words just like with any other words. Clear definitions that we can both agree upon.

Wouldn't it be difficult to define something without using Holy Scripture? If someone was referring to a different god like zeus any number of words could have different definitions or uses.......but than we would no longer be on topic with "Christian" apologetic.

This is what I have so far for definitions...I'll tackle what I think to be easier defined words first.

Scripture-Skip for now

If we are discussing Christianity I think it would be safe to assume we are talking about the Bible. Other religions also have scriptures as well.

That's as much as I can fill-in so far for definitions......Are you OK with my definition of God-Breathed?

That can be a use for that expression. I've also seen that term used for the Holy Spirit. And outside a term or definition it is also written that when Jesus breathed on the Apostles they recieved the Holy Spirit.
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 10:42:11 AM
At 10/24/2014 10:04:50 AM, jharry wrote:
At 10/24/2014 9:43:37 AM, biznis wrote:

Wouldn't it be difficult to define something without using Holy Scripture? If someone was referring to a different god like zeus any number of words could have different definitions or uses.......but than we would no longer be on topic with "Christian" apologetic.

Please look at my definition of God-breathed...and tell me where you disagree!
I will never be able to get to my questions...if we can't agree on a definition to these words.

This is the easy part too!

The questions are more difficult and require more thought and contemplation then these simple but complex definitions.

I would estimate it would take someone at least 30 minutes to contemplate the definition of the words I asked to have defined.

Scripture-Skip for now

If we are discussing Christianity I think it would be safe to assume we are talking about the Bible. Other religions also have scriptures as well.

That can be a use for that expression. I've also seen that term used for the Holy Spirit. And outside a term or definition it is also written that when Jesus breathed on the Apostles they recieved the Holy Spirit.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:27:19 AM
Hello,

1. Scripture

2. Word Of God

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

Thanks,

Tom

1. Scripture is sometimes considered the word of god in general, but most refer to the New Testament when saying scripture.

2. Word of God is basically any written document that is claiming to have holy authority. The bible isn't the only book for this. The Dead Sea Scrolls and Apocrypha is considered the Word of God.

Now 3 and 4 are tricky since these are words used from different translations in the bible.

3. God-Breathed is used in translations like the NIV version. This supposedly says that God whispered and wrote the scriptures himself or told one of his followers to write it for him.

4. God-Inspired makes more sense to me. It basically means the humans were inspired by God's works, actions or visions that they wrote down what they experienced and felt as they were writing the different books of the bible.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:32:48 AM
At 10/24/2014 10:42:11 AM, biznis wrote:

I will never be able to get to my questions...if we can't agree on a definition to these words.

This is the easy part too!

The questions are more difficult and require more thought and contemplation then these simple but complex definitions.

I would estimate it would take someone at least 30 minutes to contemplate the definition of the words I asked to have defined.

As I have said, God breathed can mean words spoken by God. I was just throwing in some other accounts of this phrase being used. :)
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:53:37 AM
At 10/24/2014 11:27:19 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thanks for the response Christian!

Hello,

1. Scripture

2. Word Of God

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

Thanks,

Tom

1. Scripture is sometimes considered the word of god in general, but most refer to the New Testament when saying scripture.

2. Word of God is basically any written document that is claiming to have holy authority. {I like your definition of word of God}The bible isn't the only book for this. The Dead Sea Scrolls and Apocrypha is considered the Word of God.

Now 3 and 4 are tricky since these are words used from different translations in the bible.

3. God-Breathed; God whispered and wrote the scriptures himself or told one of his followers to write it for him.

I see God-breathed to be defined as something like this.....you tell me where you disagree :

God breathed: A quote from God, Not paraphrased; God Spoken, Words directly from God; whisper from God

4. God-Inspired :humans were inspired by God's works, actions or visions that they wrote down what they experienced and felt as they were writing (I like you definition here too)
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:57:23 AM
At 10/24/2014 11:53:37 AM, biznis wrote:
At 10/24/2014 11:27:19 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Thanks for the response Christian!

Hello,

1. Scripture

2. Word Of God

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

Thanks,

Tom

2. Word of God is basically any written document that is claiming to have holy authority. {I like your definition of word of God}The bible isn't the only book for this. The Dead Sea Scrolls and Apocrypha is considered the Word of God.

3. God-Breathed; God whispered and wrote the scriptures himself or told one of his followers to write it for him.

I see God-breathed to be defined as something like this.....you tell me where you disagree :

God breathed: A quote from God, Not paraphrased; God Spoken, Words directly from God; whisper from God

4. God-Inspired :humans were inspired by God's works, actions or visions that they wrote down what they experienced and felt as they were writing (I like you definition here too)

Yup. That would be it. God-breathed is pretty much spoken out like that. However, I find God-Inspired to be more reasonable for this usage in 2 Timothy 3:16. Because if we say God spoke to them and told them what to do, then this gives justification for several people who contradict each other, but say God told them to kill people or save people.
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:01:21 PM
At 10/24/2014 11:32:48 AM, jharry wrote:

As I have said, God breathed can mean words spoken by God. I was just throwing in some other accounts of this phrase being used. :)

So does that mean that you are okay with definition I wrote for god-breathed? Is it acceptable?

If so, we can move onto the defining the next?

If you have no interest in doing so please let me know?
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:23:53 PM
Hello,

1. Scripture

2. Word Of God

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

Thanks,

Tom

In the case of the bible, Torah, and other generally accepted Hebrew documents, it"s a documentation of a people and their relationship with the Lord their God who is Creator and Judge.

All things that are not God, are made through the Word of God (Gen:1) made flesh (Jn:1) in the Son of man of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, also known as the Son of God.

Two cases that I am aware of scripturally when God breathed into the nostrils of Adam and Adam became a living soul. And when Jesus breathed on His disciples in Jn:20:22 that they would receive the Holy Ghost. In this Jesus demonstrates that He has restored them to the life Adam and Eve had before they died from that life and was kept to the life of the flesh, dust to dust ashes to ashes.

Inspire or other combinations of the word isn"t found in the KJV of OT or NT. "God inspired or Spirit inspired and the like are over used in the Christian community. God speaks to those who listen, therefore inspired is mainly an individual"s perception of being inspired, but not true of text like the bible. The bible is a documentation, again, of a people and there relationship with their God, and that relationship is with those that are trusted and entrusted by the Lord God.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:58:05 PM
At 10/24/2014 12:01:21 PM, biznis wrote:
At 10/24/2014 11:32:48 AM, jharry wrote:

So does that mean that you are okay with definition I wrote for god-breathed? Is it acceptable?

If so, we can move onto the defining the next?

If you have no interest in doing so please let me know?

Yep I can see that.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:28:11 PM
Hey Tom, I'm good with speeding this up if you are. I can't see any definition for Scripture or Word of God that I can't accept unless it is just way out there in left field. So feel free to fill in the other two and we can get ths show on the road. :)

Scripture-

God-Breathed- God spoken, Words directly from God, God Quote, Not paraphrased. Accepted-jharry

Word Of God-

God-Inspired- Inspired by God.... that's all I have. Accepted-jharry
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:37:21 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:28:11 PM, jharry wrote:
Hey Tom, I'm good with speeding this up if you are. I can't see any definition for Scripture or Word of God that I can't accept unless it is just way out there in left field. So feel free to fill in the other two and we can get ths show on the road. :)

Scripture-

God-Breathed- God spoken, Words directly from God, God Quote, Not paraphrased. Accepted-jharry

Word Of God-

Please stop trying to create a trap and just move on.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:54:33 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:37:21 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Scripture-

Word Of God-

Was that directed to me?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:56:55 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:54:33 PM, jharry wrote:

Scripture-

Word Of God-

Was that directed to me?

Yup. You are trying to create a trap instead of just making your point and letting the conversation develop. God-breathed and inspired are the same as I noted in the other thread. You are trying to make some distinction for some "gotcha" purpose.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 2:33:27 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:56:55 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Scripture-

Word Of God-

Was that directed to me?

Yup. You are trying to create a trap instead of just making your point and letting the conversation develop. God-breathed and inspired are the same as I noted in the other thread. You are trying to make some distinction for some "gotcha" purpose.

You might be a bit confused here, go back and read the posts. I'm trying to find the definition the OP wants so we can move aling here. Im not the OP, just a guy walking in the trap lol
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 3:08:33 PM
At 10/24/2014 2:33:27 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/24/2014 1:56:55 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Scripture-

Word Of God-

Was that directed to me?

You might be a bit confused here, go back and read the posts. I'm trying to find the definition the OP wants so we can move aling here. Im not the OP, just a guy walking in the trap lol

Apologies.
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 8:34:58 AM
Sorry Harry I didn't respond sooner.....I was looking for your response but missed it amongst the others...

Thanks for cooperating. I am not trying to trap anyone. In having any discussion I think it's good to have key terms identified and agreed upon......There is arguably no more of an important subject.....so why not spend a little more time defining what we say we believe.

Defining the word Scripture(s) is going to be easier than I thought.....as I believe The Merriam Webster Dictionary definition can be used: "The sacred writings of the Old and New Testament or both put together"

Could you please check out my latest post on the board as well about God/Jesus quotes... I would love to hear your response to that question....

Thanks again for the feedback

Tom

Scripture-

Word Of God-

Was that directed to me?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:31:49 PM
Hello,

Let's start fresh.

However, before I can ask my first question.....I need to see how the following terms are being defined by the person I will be asking the questions too.

The answers will be longer than 10 words because I want to make sure that I fully capture the relevant points.

1. Scripture

God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

"For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and have been handed on as such to the Church herself."

In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way. To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words.

In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression."

But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less important principle of correct interpretation, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. "Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."

2. Word Of God

Christ is the unique word of sacred scripture.

Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely.

3. God-Breathed

4. God-Inspired

As others have noted these are the same thing. Adam gained life when God Breathed life into him. Jesus breathed on the apostles to give them the the Holy Spirit and new life. God is the creator and his breath is fruitful.

The word inspiration comes by way of Vulgate Latin and the King James English translations of the Greek word theopneustos, literally, "God-breathed" found in 2 Timothy 3:16"3:17.

http://www.vatican.va...
http://en.wikipedia.org...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 4:16:21 PM
Hello,

It takes more than ten words to define these following terms so here it goes.

: 1. Scripture

If you're referring to the Bible, it is a mixture of information inspired directly from our Creator and written down by His prophets and saints or it comes from His plan called the beast and written by religious people called antichrists, which most of the new testament is written by.

: 2. Word Of God

The Word of God is the "consciousness" that quantum physicists have been talking about, which is where ALL God's creation exists. It's known as the mind of Christ or mind of God. You can say it's the voice of the Lord, too, or the Kingdom of God.

: 3. God-Breathed

Everything that exists was God-breathed. This means He created everything and formed illusions from His created thoughts that give us a make-believe world to live in.

: 4. God-Inspired

This refers to the original writings of God's prophets and us saints. God puts words from our earthly languages into His mind for us to write down. From these writings, we learn about the past, present, future and how we were created in Him.

God bless you,
Saint Brad ( alias bornofgod )