Jump to topic:

A political leader showing some principle

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 6:50:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Finally, here in Australia, we may have some progress on the long overdue change to marriage equality:

http://www.smh.com.au...

"So when I hear people invoking the scriptures to attack blended families. I cannot stay silent. I do not agree. When I see people hiding behind the bible to insult and demonise people based on their sexuality I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

"When I hear people allege that 'God tells them' that marriage equality is the first step on the road to polygamy and bigamy and bestiality, I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

The latter quote is in response to a conservative politician (Cory Bernadi) who actually made these absurd claims in federal parliament.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:07:33 PM
At 10/24/2014 6:50:26 PM, dee-em wrote:
Finally, here in Australia, we may have some progress on the long overdue change to marriage equality:

"So when I hear people invoking the scriptures to attack blended families. I cannot stay silent. I do not agree. When I see people hiding behind the bible to insult and demonise people based on their sexuality I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

"When I hear people allege that 'God tells them' that marriage equality is the first step on the road to polygamy and bigamy and bestiality, I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

The latter quote is in response to a conservative politician (Cory Bernadi) who actually made these absurd claims in federal parliament.

We could use some of that here in the states.
If Gravity were true, and Darwinism true - both of which are taught as true to children, then we would evolve as pancake people. - Edlvsjd

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:06:53 PM
At 10/24/2014 7:07:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/24/2014 6:50:26 PM, dee-em wrote:

We could use some of that here in the states.

I think you're way ahead of us. At least same sex marriage has been legalised in a majority of your states and is recognised by the federal government. We only had it in the ACT (a very small proto-state) before it was overturned by the High Court under challenge by the new conservative government. Now there's a lot of hand-sitting going on.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.