Jump to topic:

A political leader showing some principle

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 6:50:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Finally, here in Australia, we may have some progress on the long overdue change to marriage equality:

http://www.smh.com.au...

"So when I hear people invoking the scriptures to attack blended families. I cannot stay silent. I do not agree. When I see people hiding behind the bible to insult and demonise people based on their sexuality I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

"When I hear people allege that 'God tells them' that marriage equality is the first step on the road to polygamy and bigamy and bestiality, I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

The latter quote is in response to a conservative politician (Cory Bernadi) who actually made these absurd claims in federal parliament.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 7:07:33 PM
At 10/24/2014 6:50:26 PM, dee-em wrote:
Finally, here in Australia, we may have some progress on the long overdue change to marriage equality:

"So when I hear people invoking the scriptures to attack blended families. I cannot stay silent. I do not agree. When I see people hiding behind the bible to insult and demonise people based on their sexuality I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

"When I hear people allege that 'God tells them' that marriage equality is the first step on the road to polygamy and bigamy and bestiality, I cannot stay silent. I do not agree."

The latter quote is in response to a conservative politician (Cory Bernadi) who actually made these absurd claims in federal parliament.

We could use some of that here in the states.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:06:53 PM
At 10/24/2014 7:07:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/24/2014 6:50:26 PM, dee-em wrote:

We could use some of that here in the states.

I think you're way ahead of us. At least same sex marriage has been legalised in a majority of your states and is recognised by the federal government. We only had it in the ACT (a very small proto-state) before it was overturned by the High Court under challenge by the new conservative government. Now there's a lot of hand-sitting going on.