Jump to topic:

No love for defining words....

biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 1:31:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
During the brief time I have been on this site....I have found that people in general don't like to even attempt to define words......it's ok...this isn't a dictionary website.....my fault mainly......as I am asking for the definitions.....

Ironically , One of the words I was asking to have defined is "Scripture(s"), which I overlooked that word when I was researching beforehand........Turns out it is in the Webster Dictionary.....I thought someone else might have pointed it out.....so Scripture, isn't as difficult to define......since it has already been defined...naturally

Again no love for defining words.......Some on here think I am trying to "trap" them, others wonder if I am trying to "start a new religion" or make a new dictionary ...etc.....etc.

So I may lax for a bit on my request for definitions.....

I think I need to change my approach......

We will see if this route has any better luck.....
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 2:39:37 AM
At 10/26/2014 1:31:18 AM, biznis wrote:
Turns out it is in the Webster Dictionary.....I thought someone else might have pointed it out.....so Scripture, isn't as difficult to define......since it has already been defined...naturally

I think you'll find that to be the case with the vast majority of words. It's pretty standard practice to have definitions for words.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 2:47:13 AM
During the brief time I have been on this site....I have found that people in general don't like to even attempt to define words......it's ok...this isn't a dictionary website.....my fault mainly......as I am asking for the definitions.....

Ironically , One of the words I was asking to have defined is "Scripture(s"), which I overlooked that word when I was researching beforehand........Turns out it is in the Webster Dictionary.....I thought someone else might have pointed it out.....so Scripture, isn't as difficult to define......since it has already been defined...naturally

Again no love for defining words.......Some on here think I am trying to "trap" them, others wonder if I am trying to "start a new religion" or make a new dictionary ...etc.....etc.

Oh but be careful. The people here are crafty. Most words have multiple meaning depending on context and they will twist the meanings all over the place. They're all English majors you know.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 2:50:19 AM
At 10/26/2014 2:47:13 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

Oh but be careful. The people here are crafty. Most words have multiple meaning depending on context and they will twist the meanings all over the place. They're all English majors you know.

No. But many of them should be... or maybe just "Introduction to English".
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 2:52:13 AM

Go and ask the madman for definitions of words. One would be soon, but there are thousands of others.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 2:52:44 AM

Go and ask the madman for definitions of words. One would be soon, but there are thousands of others.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 2:54:03 AM
At 10/26/2014 2:52:44 AM, bulproof wrote:

"The" madman?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 3:15:27 AM
At 10/26/2014 2:54:03 AM, Beastt wrote:

"The" madman?

Of the Cornish persuasion?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 3:17:16 AM
At 10/26/2014 3:15:27 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

"The" madman?

I'm not sure. There is a relatively broad selection from which to choose.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 3:18:24 AM
At 10/26/2014 3:15:27 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

"The" madman?

It's what he calls himself.
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:01:27 PM
At 10/26/2014 2:39:37 AM, Beastt wrote:
Turns out it is in the Webster Dictionary.....I thought someone else might have pointed it out.....so Scripture, isn't as difficult to define......since it has already been defined...naturally

I think you'll find that to be the case with the vast majority of words. It's pretty standard practice to have definitions for words.

If there were clean and concise definitions to all words ever spoke.....I wouldn't have asked to have a few words defined that were not in the dictionary....

Word of God

God-Breathed

God-Inspired

Scripture......Overlooked before...is in dictionary

I couldn't' find a clear and concise definition for the above terms(minus scripture)...couldn't find them in the dictionary

When discussing a topic and words are not clearly defined...it's difficult to have an intelligible conversation or ask meaningful questions
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:42:57 PM
At 10/26/2014 12:01:27 PM, biznis wrote:
At 10/26/2014 2:39:37 AM, Beastt wrote:

If there were clean and concise definitions to all words ever spoke.....I wouldn't have asked to have a few words defined that were not in the dictionary....

Word of God
That's a "phrase" not "a word".

God-Breathed

God-Inspired

Scripture......Overlooked before...is in dictionary
That's a word and words without definitions would be nothing more than meaningless arrangements of letters. It becomes a word when it is assigned meaning. If you look up "gruppleflock" you will not find a definition because it is only an arrangement of letters, not a word with meaning.

I couldn't' find a clear and concise definition for the above terms(minus scripture)...couldn't find them in the dictionary
Dictionaries tend to focus on words, rather than phrases, though many do contain some common phrases.

When discussing a topic and words are not clearly defined...it's difficult to have an intelligible conversation or ask meaningful questions
And this is compounded by the fact that words often have multiple meanings or meanings which are fluid within a concept.