Jump to topic:

Which Jesus?

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 3:15:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The gnostic Jesus, the ascetic Jesus, the warrior Jesus (of the Essenes), the pedophile Jesus (of the Carpocratians), or one of the many other Jesus portrayals eliminated by the 4th century council for you so that you didn't have the difficulty of picking your own?

The Jesus of the Bible is the one selected by men of the 4th century who never met him, had no idea which (if any) Jesus was real, and selected stories about him which didn't even exist until the 4th century (like the Pericope Adulteraea).

Did you think there was only one?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 4:14:51 AM
At 10/26/2014 3:15:54 AM, Beastt wrote:
The gnostic Jesus, the ascetic Jesus, the warrior Jesus (of the Essenes), the pedophile Jesus (of the Carpocratians), or one of the many other Jesus portrayals eliminated by the 4th century council for you so that you didn't have the difficulty of picking your own?

The Jesus of the Bible is the one selected by men of the 4th century who never met him, had no idea which (if any) Jesus was real, and selected stories about him which didn't even exist until the 4th century (like the Pericope Adulteraea).

You need another option.
None of the above.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 5:07:53 AM

Yes there was only one, just as there was only one "only begotten son of God" to occupy Jesus specially created body.

Ironically, though the Jesus of the bible is the one that was selected for us by Apostate Christian, he is not the one they teach.

They teach a Jesus who is part of a triune arrangement, whereas scripture reveals God's son to be the first, and only, solo act of creation by his Father, making them father and son in every sense of the phrase.

Satan has done a pretty good job of clouding the issue to prevent people from find the truth, but for all his efforts he has failed to hide it completely from those humble enough to seek God's help in finding it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 5:18:54 AM
At 10/26/2014 5:07:53 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Yes there was only one, just as there was only one "only begotten son of God" to occupy Jesus specially created body.

Specially created by your friendly ghost wacking his ghostly appendage into her underage cooze and pumping like a madman.

Oh very special.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 5:24:26 AM
Satan has done a pretty good job of clouding the issue to prevent people from find the truth, but for all his efforts he has failed to hide it completely from those humble enough to seek God's help in finding it.

Your Satan is a proven fantasy and we know this because, e.g. -

9 months and we are still waiting for you to demonstrate your Satan ideology using the YLT & Or the E.D. narrative produced by Botchtower publications

You remain a proven LIAR! and tread the Truth in the dirt beneath your sinful ideological trotters!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 6:08:40 AM
At 10/26/2014 5:18:54 AM, bulproof wrote:

Specially created by your friendly ghost wacking his ghostly appendage into her underage cooze and pumping like a madman.

Oh very special.

Not everyone is as potty minded as you I'm pleased to say.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 6:30:21 AM
At 10/26/2014 6:08:40 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Oh very special.

Oh! How do you suggest your ghost or god or angel impregnated a child?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 7:04:14 AM

Oh very special.

I'm more than a little concerned with anyone who automatically links anything sexual to "potty". That's just gross.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 7:10:38 AM
At 10/26/2014 7:04:14 AM, Beastt wrote:

Oh very special.

I'm more than a little concerned with anyone who automatically links anything sexual to "potty". That's just gross.
He has never graduated childhood. Sad isn't it?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 8:06:34 AM
At 10/26/2014 7:10:38 AM, bulproof wrote:

Oh very special.

Back in high school I had the coolest art teacher. He gave me some perspectives that I might never have had if not for him. I remember him talking about nuns and the way they reacted to sexual insinuations, "bad language", etc. He used to say they thought that kind of thing was "dirty" because they had dirty minds. And he was right. People who act offended, repulsed, and so ultra reserved about sexual references have simply never matured to a point where they can handle the basic reality of adult biology. It's very sad. And their chief ally is the being they believe designed the entire system in the first place.

So God created an entire universe with hundreds of billions of galaxies to attend to, so that in one of those galaxies, he could pick one moderate star, plant some planets around it, and then on one small planet, create a specific species over which he watches. And despite having the rest of the solar systems, and galaxies, across the mind-boggling expanse of the universe, he's mostly concerned with what we do... and mostly; he's concerned about what we do when we're naked. Because the people who created God, created him with the same immature, dirty little minds they had.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:03:45 AM

And your "evidence" in support of this is...?

Ironically, though the Jesus of the bible is the one that was selected for us by Apostate Christian, he is not the one they teach.

How, precisely, do you know that the apostate is not you?

They teach a Jesus who is part of a triune arrangement, whereas scripture reveals God's son to be the first, and only, solo act of creation by his Father, making them father and son in every sense of the phrase.

And yet not a shred of objective evidence exists for either one...

ANOTHER invention of humans for which there is ZERO evidence (HINT: the bible is not evidence of anything). Humility has nothing to do with a story that makes humans the CENTRAL FOCUS OF THIS ENTIRE UNIVERSE. Your bible makes it clear that believers have the expectation that humans are the sole focus of the creation of this entire universe, and that everything that has ever been created was created with humans and their struggle to reach "heaven" or "paradise" or whatever fate they are to receive, in keeping with the "rules."Continue to waste your life as you wish. Your deity does not exist.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:07:25 AM
At 10/26/2014 8:06:34 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/26/2014 7:10:38 AM, bulproof wrote:

Oh very special.

Back in high school I had the coolest art teacher. He gave me some perspectives that I might never have had if not for him. I remember him talking about nuns and the way they reacted to sexual insinuations, "bad language", etc. He used to say they thought that kind of thing was "dirty" because they had dirty minds. And he was right. People who act offended, repulsed, and so ultra reserved about sexual references have simply never matured to a point where they can handle the basic reality of adult biology. It's very sad. And their chief ally is the being they believe designed the entire system in the first place.

So God created an entire universe with hundreds of billions of galaxies to attend to, so that in one of those galaxies, he could pick one moderate star, plant some planets around it, and then on one small planet, create a specific species over which he watches. And despite having the rest of the solar systems, and galaxies, across the mind-boggling expanse of the universe, he's mostly concerned with what we do... and mostly; he's concerned about what we do when we're naked. Because the people who created God, created him with the same immature, dirty little minds they had.

+1
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:11:00 AM

Oh very special.

Another inheritance from the Roman degenerates in fancy embroidered dresses. Anything sexual is to be denigrated, despite their own repressed sexuality having induced an avalanche of pedophilia, rape, torture, murder, and horrors untold.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:16:44 AM

Every single Jesus lover has their own unique imaginary concept of who he might be and what he might have said. That all depends on what they heard from someone else, read in a book or watched in a movie. This means there has been billions of Jesus' in this world.
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:12:38 PM

If you want to find out if what Jesus of the Holy Bible says is true, all you have to do is do everything that he says, and then you will know.

See John 7:17.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:49:41 PM
At 10/26/2014 6:30:21 AM, bulproof wrote:

Oh very special.

Oh! How do you suggest your ghost or god or angel impregnated a child?

As far as I am aware he never has.. Mary wasn't a child, she was a woman engaged to marry, and did marry. An immature child would have been useless to God for the purpose she was needed for, which not only meant bringing Jesus to birth but training him for the role that lay in front of him 30 years down the line.

As to the how, that's very simple. He used the power of holy spirit to alter the DNA of one of Mary's eggs so that a male with all the properties that Adam threw away was born after the usual gestation period.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:57:42 PM
At 10/26/2014 9:03:45 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:

Scriptural, the most trustworthy evidence there is.

Simple. I follow scripture 100% in order to make sure I am not, and constantly check myself against scripture.

It's the only way there is.

Scripture is all the evidence anyone needs and there is al lot of evidence as to teh accuracy of scripture.

ANOTHER invention of humans for which there is ZERO evidence (HINT: the bible is not evidence of anything). Humility has nothing to do with a story that makes humans the CENTRAL FOCUS OF THIS ENTIRE UNIVERSE. Your bible makes it clear that believers have the expectation that humans are the sole focus of the creation of this entire universe, and that everything that has ever been created was created with humans and their struggle to reach "heaven" or "paradise" or whatever fate they are to receive, in keeping with the "rules."Continue to waste your life as you wish. Your deity does not exist.

Which statement is all the evidence anyone who knows how God and Satan work to show that Satan has done a very good job in your case.

2 Corinthians 4:4-5
ASV(i) 4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them. 5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus sake.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 5:42:22 PM
At 10/26/2014 12:57:42 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Actually, it's the LEAST trustworthy, for the rational mind.

Simple. I follow scripture 100% in order to make sure I am not, and constantly check myself against scripture.

Scripture is completely useless. Apostasy is meaningless, to me. There is no way to be certain, however, who the apostate is, because their interpretation = your interpretation. There's no way for either of you to prove that their own interpretation is more accurate than the other's.

Too bad there's no way to verify it.

Scripture is all the evidence anyone needs and there is al lot of evidence as to teh accuracy of scripture.

Scripture is "evidence" as to the accuracy of scripture? Do you ever read what you post, before pulling the trigger on your posted words?

Which statement is all the evidence anyone who knows how God and Satan work to show that Satan has done a very good job in your case.

No one knows "how god and satan work." Since neither of them exists, no one can know "how they work." If you can't come up with a useful or meaningful argument, aside from the bible, please don't bother. Your bible is neither evidence, nor valid, in any sense of the word.

ASV(i) 4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them. 5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus sake.

Meaningless. Useless. Of zero value and of zero merit. Scripture is not proof of anything except that a bunch of ancient, ignorant people wrote down a bunch of words to justify their misogyny, violence, imperialism, blood lust, and power lust. They needed a way to justify all of the things in which they found meaning and fulfillment. What better way than to say, "God told us to?"
-----

-- Robert A Heinlein
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 6:35:14 PM
At 10/26/2014 5:42:22 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 10/26/2014 12:57:42 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Actually, it's the LEAST trustworthy, for the rational mind.

The exact opposite to that, the rational mind is the one that doesn't refuse to admit to evidence that it doesn't like. That is the mind that accepts the truths of the bible, comfortable or not.

Scripture is completely useless. Apostasy is meaningless, to me. There is no way to be certain, however, who the apostate is, because their interpretation = your interpretation. There's no way for either of you to prove that their own interpretation is more accurate than the other's.

Scripture is useless to you because you have no wish to accept it's obvious accuracy.

Too bad there's no way to verify it.

There is plenty of evidence, it's not the fault of the bible that you prefer to ignore or deny it.

Scripture is "evidence" as to the accuracy of scripture? Do you ever read what you post, before pulling the trigger on your posted words?

No, history, archaeology, and science are the evidence to teh accuracy of scripture, and that includes yesterdays history, since the bible is accurate right down to today and beyond.

Sorry I know you do not like it,and do not wish to accept it, but it is true, and the truly rational mind not only accepts that but cannot ignore it.

No one knows "how god and satan work." Since neither of them exists, no one can know "how they work." If you can't come up with a useful or meaningful argument, aside from the bible, please don't bother. Your bible is neither evidence, nor valid, in any sense of the word.

But you see that is precisely what scripture reveals to us, that and so much more. God wants us to know him, and to know how he works and thinks, as far as out limited brain power can achieve that anyway.

I can't help but wonder what is so scary about having a God and creator, but evidently to such as you it is.

Meaningless. Useless. Of zero value and of zero merit. Scripture is not proof of anything except that a bunch of ancient, ignorant people wrote down a bunch of words to justify their misogyny, violence, imperialism, blood lust, and power lust. They needed a way to justify all of the things in which they found meaning and fulfillment. What better way than to say, "God told us to?"

Neither meaningless, because it explains precisely why such as you are completely unable to see the truth, nor useless because to such as I it is a warning that "there but for the grace of God go I" if I don't safeguard against it.

Obviously it is useless to those who refuses to believe it, just as the warnings of impending war were useless to those who refused to believe them,or to accept the evidence which showed how inevitable it was. Just like every warning that has ever been ignored by those who chose not to listen.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 8:17:02 PM
At 10/26/2014 12:12:38 PM, Obed wrote:

If you want to find out if what Jesus of the Holy Bible says is true, all you have to do is do everything that he says, and then you will know.

Well, there are a few problems with that, starting with the obvious and demonstrable fact that it's not true. Let's take a look at the experiences of Pastor Ehrman, Pastor Barker and Priest Price, as examples. These men were all devout believers in Jesus and in the Bible, but - unlike most Christians - they had a hunger to learn more combined with a desire for truth.

Ehrman wasn't satisfied to take some highly modified, doctored, edited, translated and whitewashed version of the "teachings of Jesus", as being authoritative. So he enrolled in classes on ancient Greek and ancient Greek dialects and he began studying photocopies of the ancient Greek documents themselves. One of the first things he discovered was that his quest to have the actual words in the most original form possible, simply wasn't possible. There are hundreds of copies of many of these ancient Greek biblical texts. But what you read depends on which copy you're using. With more than 5,700 archived copies of ancient New Testament manuscripts in Greek, to represent the 27-books of the New Testament, no two of them are the same. Indeed, they're mostly the same. But the manuscripts were altered, literally each and every time they were copied. And we have no originals. So there isn't any way to know what the originals said.

So Pastor Ehrman is not just "Doctor Ehrman". He no longer identifies as a Christian because he's interested in the truth.
Priest Price is no longer a Christian. He's an outspoken atheist author with two doctorates in theism.
Pastor Barker has also left Christianity. He simply found that Christianity is untenable. If you seek knowledge honestly, you find that christianity is a lie.
The same thing happened to Matt Dillahunty as he was studying to enter the seminary. He's now the lead host for "The Atheist Experience" and is featured on debates across the country.

Your Bible contains not a single word which can honestly be attributed to Jesus. In fact, what we know about Jesus leaves us unable to confirm that any such person ever existed. The evidence strongly suggests that Jesus is simply a literalized myth, derived from the mixing of many older pagan myths, along with a few newer ideas.

So you have no words of Jesus. It's simply not possible.
The texts of the New Testament are mostly fiction.
And believing that you've received what the character of Jesus was said to have promised, doesn't mean that you have.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 9:42:12 PM

Even with the "convenient" narrative of Christ that the Nicene council chose, I have found that there are several views of Jesus which are in the eye of the beholder. He is:

A pacifist to the peaceful
A warrior to the warlike
A capitalist to the wealthy
A socialist to the poor
A hippie to the hippies
A conservative to the Republicans
A liberal to the Democrats
A feminist to women
Perfect in judgment to the judgmental
Nonjudgmental to the nonjudgmental

And one gets the picture...

We are not made in God's image. We make Him in OUR image.

"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:03:05 PM

Same thing you asked two months ago. SSDD.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:24:28 PM
At 10/26/2014 8:17:02 PM, Beastt wrote:

Well, there are a few problems with that, starting with the obvious and demonstrable fact that it's not true. Let's take a look at the experiences of Pastor Ehrman, Pastor Barker and Priest Price, as examples. These men were all devout believers in Jesus and in the Bible, but - unlike most Christians - they had a hunger to learn more combined with a desire for truth.

Ehrman wasn't satisfied to take some highly modified, doctored, edited, translated and whitewashed version of the "teachings of Jesus", as being authoritative. So he enrolled in classes on ancient Greek and ancient Greek dialects and he began studying photocopies of the ancient Greek documents themselves. One of the first things he discovered was that his quest to have the actual words in the most original form possible, simply wasn't possible. There are hundreds of copies of many of these ancient Greek biblical texts. But what you read depends on which copy you're using. With more than 5,700 archived copies of ancient New Testament manuscripts in Greek, to represent the 27-books of the New Testament, no two of them are the same. Indeed, they're mostly the same. But the manuscripts were altered, literally each and every time they were copied. And we have no originals. So there isn't any way to know what the originals said.

So Pastor Ehrman is not just "Doctor Ehrman". He no longer identifies as a Christian because he's interested in the truth.
Priest Price is no longer a Christian. He's an outspoken atheist author with two doctorates in theism.
Pastor Barker has also left Christianity. He simply found that Christianity is untenable. If you seek knowledge honestly, you find that christianity is a lie.
The same thing happened to Matt Dillahunty as he was studying to enter the seminary. He's now the lead host for "The Atheist Experience" and is featured on debates across the country.

Your Bible contains not a single word which can honestly be attributed to Jesus. In fact, what we know about Jesus leaves us unable to confirm that any such person ever existed. The evidence strongly suggests that Jesus is simply a literalized myth, derived from the mixing of many older pagan myths, along with a few newer ideas.

And believing that you've received what the character of Jesus was said to have promised, doesn't mean that you have.

If you want to speak from personal knowledge and experience, you are going to have to get Jesus' teachings from an English translation Bible and do what Jesus says.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:35:34 PM
At 10/26/2014 10:24:28 PM, Obed wrote:

If you want to speak from personal knowledge and experience, you are going to have to get Jesus' teachings from an English translation Bible and do what Jesus says.

No Bible contains any of "Jesus teachings". If you cared about reality rather than emotional self-pacification, you'd be willing to do the research which demonstrates that point to be true. There are no "teachings of Jesus", in any Bible, or anyplace else of which we know. In FACT, no one can even demonstrate that Jesus ever really existed. And if we had his teachings, it would be confirmation that he did exist. And that's confirmation which we do not have. So swallow the difficult reality, and stop asserting what you want to believe, instead of what is demonstrably true.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:37:36 PM
At 10/26/2014 9:42:12 PM, Fly wrote:

Even with the "convenient" narrative of Christ that the Nicene council chose, I have found that there are several views of Jesus which are in the eye of the beholder. He is:

A pacifist to the peaceful
A warrior to the warlike
A capitalist to the wealthy
A socialist to the poor
A hippie to the hippies
A conservative to the Republicans
A liberal to the Democrats
A feminist to women
Perfect in judgment to the judgmental
Nonjudgmental to the nonjudgmental

And one gets the picture...

We are not made in God's image. We make Him in OUR image.

EXACTLY! He is the costume through which each person attempts to turn his own beliefs, thoughts, actions and ideals, into God.
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:38:44 PM
At 10/26/2014 10:35:34 PM, Beastt wrote:

No Bible contains any of "Jesus teachings". If you cared about reality rather than emotional self-pacification, you'd be willing to do the research which demonstrates that point to be true. There are no "teachings of Jesus", in any Bible, or anyplace else of which we know. In FACT, no one can even demonstrate that Jesus ever really existed. And if we had his teachings, it would be confirmation that he did exist. And that's confirmation which we do not have. So swallow the difficult reality, and stop asserting what you want to believe, instead of what is demonstrably true.

Again, if you want to find out if the Bible is true, do what the New Testament says to do.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:50:57 PM
At 10/26/2014 10:38:44 PM, Obed wrote:

Again, if you want to find out if the Bible is true, do what the New Testament says to do.

Stop ignoring demonstrable reality and repeating the same falsified claim. Millions of former Christians who had become convinced that the Bible was true, have since realized that it is not true. Scholars and theologians have realized that the Bible is not true. Former ministers, pastors and priests have realized that the Bible is not true and I'm telling you various ways to confirm that the Bible isn't true.

Could loaves of bread exist before the things from which bread is made, existed?
Can you retain steam in an open bowl?
Can you pour ice from a bottle without melting it?
Can you raise a garden in absolute darkness and in temperatures cold enough to freeze trees almost instantly?

If you said "no" to any of those things, then the Bible is NOT true! (Genesis 1:1-17)
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 11:01:19 PM
At 10/26/2014 10:50:57 PM, Beastt wrote:

Stop ignoring demonstrable reality and repeating the same falsified claim. Millions of former Christians who had become convinced that the Bible was true, have since realized that it is not true. Scholars and theologians have realized that the Bible is not true. Former ministers, pastors and priests have realized that the Bible is not true and I'm telling you various ways to confirm that the Bible isn't true.

Could loaves of bread exist before the things from which bread is made, existed?
Can you raise a garden in absolute darkness and in temperatures cold enough to freeze trees almost instantly?

If you said "no" to any of those things, then the Bible is NOT true! (Genesis 1:1-17)

You are doing exactly what you are accusing me of doing.

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 11:03:55 PM
At 10/26/2014 11:01:19 PM, Obed wrote:

I'm explaining (in some detail), why your claims are wrong. And you're just repeating the same false superstitious claims. That's not really the same thing.
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 11:08:21 PM
At 10/26/2014 11:03:55 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/26/2014 11:01:19 PM, Obed wrote:

I'm explaining (in some detail), why your claims are wrong. And you're just repeating the same false superstitious claims. That's not really the same thing.

Get yourself some knowledge and experience. Start obeying what the New Testament says.