Jump to topic:

End of the world ?

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:23:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This thread is to learn about different perceptions regarding how people interpret the biblical concept of the "end of the world"
The first place in the NT the phrase is found, is Matthew 13. So let's use that as a starting point.

The words have also been translated in some versions as "the end of the age"

The word "world" could be referring to planet Earth but could also be referring to only the inhabitants of the planet and not the planet itself at all. It could also be referring to our inner world of our own conscience and the way we perceive the world around us from the "world" within us.

The phrase "end of the world" can also be referring to Earths extremities and not to some literal final day of Earth existence or to some final day of an end of the universe.

Anyway, how do you perceive and interpret the phrase and concept in your own mind and why?

Do you think the planet Earth will literally come to an end and there will be a time when our planet no longer exists?
If you do please explain the logic behind your reasoning.
To claim the bible said so and you just believe it is not logic or reasoning.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 11:00:13 PM
At 10/26/2014 10:23:06 PM, Skyangel wrote:
This thread is to learn about different perceptions regarding how people interpret the biblical concept of the "end of the world"
The first place in the NT the phrase is found, is Matthew 13. So let's use that as a starting point.

The word "world" could be referring to planet Earth but could also be referring to only the inhabitants of the planet and not the planet itself at all. It could also be referring to our inner world of our own conscience and the way we perceive the world around us from the "world" within us.

The phrase "end of the world" can also be referring to Earths extremities and not to some literal final day of Earth existence or to some final day of an end of the universe.

Anyway, how do you perceive and interpret the phrase and concept in your own mind and why?

Do you think the planet Earth will literally come to an end and there will be a time when our planet no longer exists?

The "world will end" when the sun swells at the end of its life. My "world will end" when my physical body is so beaten and battered it can no longer repair itself and I will physically cease to exist.

Do you really want the Biblical perspective? From our conversations before, I thought you had pretty much consigned the Bible to a fairly non literal, vague representation of god (and everything else in it by extension).
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 12:25:51 AM
At 10/26/2014 11:00:13 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/26/2014 10:23:06 PM, Skyangel wrote:

The "world will end" when the sun swells at the end of its life. My "world will end" when my physical body is so beaten and battered it can no longer repair itself and I will physically cease to exist.

Do you really want the Biblical perspective? From our conversations before, I thought you had pretty much consigned the Bible to a fairly non literal, vague representation of god (and everything else in it by extension).

There is no such thing as a biblical perspective. Perspective is subject to humans and the way they personally interpret what they see and hear through their own rose colored glasses.
It is true that I personally do not take the bible literally. I do not believe in any literal end of the planet Earth.
I also do not believe the concept of the sun swelling and ending its life to be true. It is nothing but speculation. However all people are free to believe their own perceptions regardless of whether they are religious or otherwise. Some are lost in religious fiction and others are lost in science fiction. Delusions and illusions exist in all areas of life.

I agree with you that anyones personal world physically ends on the day they die. That is the truth without a doubt. The dead eventually end up becoming the Earth in the form of surface dust. Their bodies become fertilizer and food for other living things on the Earth.