Jump to topic:

Gather "All" the Scripture.....

biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 11:20:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If a "Christian" gathered "All " writings considered to be Scripture.....what would "all" those writing be?

Merriam Webster defines: Scripture as "The sacred writings of the Old and New Testament or both put together" "A particular passage from the bible" "Collection of Sacred books given by Inspiration from God" (Merriam Webster")

I have heard others say there are additional books recognized by the Christian Community that are "not" in the Old or New Testament? Are these writing considered to be Scripture as well?.....Or are they just called writings?

Also, as a Christian what do we call other religions texts or religious writings?

They are not referred to as "Scripture" by Christian's are they? From the Christian point of view, do we refer to their writings as their "Scripture" for what they believe?......or do we say it's just writings?

Thanks for any feedback
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 7:57:29 AM
Not surprised there is no replies......An accurate answer is difficult......If I knew the answer here....I wouldn't be asking......so many things to take into consideration...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 4:40:10 PM
At 10/26/2014 11:20:06 PM, biznis wrote:

It is not difficult at all

If a "Christian" gathered "All " writings considered to be Scripture.....what would "all" those writing be?

The 73 books of the Bible.

Merriam Webster defines: Scripture as "The sacred writings of the Old and New Testament or both put together" "A particular passage from the bible" "Collection of Sacred books given by Inspiration from God" (Merriam Webster")

I have heard others say there are additional books recognized by the Christian Community that are "not" in the Old or New Testament? Are these writing considered to be Scripture as well?.....Or are they just called writings?

There are no other books that are scripture. Depends what these writings are. If you say something like the Didache you'd say that they are early Christian writings. If you say something like the Gospel of Thomas you'd say that it is heretical Gnostic texts.

Also, as a Christian what do we call other religions texts or religious writings?

The texts of that particular religion.

They are not referred to as "Scripture" by Christian's are they?

No they are not.

From the Christian point of view, do we refer to their writings as their "Scripture" for what they believe?......or do we say it's just writings?

They are not inspired texts and therefore may contain error thus we do not refer to them. They are just writings. Maybe with wisdom contained therein maybe not.

Thanks for any feedback

You're welcome.

PS I will reply fully to your other questions later.