I like DEBATE.org

biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 2:08:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What a great website.....

You get to potentially hear every possible side to every possible position there is .....on any given Topic you post a question on......I wouldn't want it any other way.....after further thought!

All opinions should always be allowed to be expressed......even responses with jumbled words....if they want to take the time to write a paragraph (or copy/paste)of jumbled words....then they should be allowed to respond to any topic with the jumbled words or whatever...they choose

There may be a few heckler's here and there...but they in turn help to make sure you ask better questions......

I don't mind sifting through a few heckler's to hear some really good and thoughtful replies.....

Unless a response is just jumbled words...you can learn something from it...

Sincerely,

the definition man
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 2:48:02 AM
That's actually quite refreshing. With all of the complaints, I guess it's the old standard - people are always looking to what they don't have, rather than what they do.

But I would add that it allows us to try to coax people into genuinely examining their beliefs, perhaps challenging them, and perhaps improve them. And then... some just come here to preach mindlessly, like a broken record, and are incapable of formulating any kind of defense for the claims they make.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
biznis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 4:02:21 AM
At 10/27/2014 2:48:02 AM, Beastt wrote:
That's actually quite refreshing. With all of the complaints, I guess it's the old standard - people are always looking to what they don't have, rather than what they do.

But I would add that it allows us to try to coax people into genuinely examining their beliefs, perhaps challenging them, and perhaps improve them. And then... some just come here to preach mindlessly, like a broken record, and are incapable of formulating any kind of defense for the claims they make.

I agree with all of what you said.....but even the broken records are a necessary ingredient for complete debate.....do you think?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 4:10:44 AM
At 10/27/2014 4:02:21 AM, biznis wrote:
At 10/27/2014 2:48:02 AM, Beastt wrote:

I agree with all of what you said.....but even the broken records are a necessary ingredient for complete debate.....do you think?

Not in the context I intended. I encountered a good example just hours ago. The other party just kept writing that if I wanted to know if the Bible was true, all I had to do is follow the teachings of Jesus. So I explained that we don't have any "teachings of Jesus", but that I already know the Bible isn't true. Then I provided him with 4 examples where the Bible is obviously not true.

He wouldn't address any of that. He just took an ad hominem pot-shot at me, and repeated his claim that if I follow the teachings of Jesus, I'll learn whether or not the Bible is true. So I approached from another angle, and received the same response. There is a frightening number of theists who simply don't seem to know anything more than one basic tenet of their belief. Since this was a Christian, all he seemed to know was something about Jesus, and some teachings attributed to him. And when confronted with anything outside of that very narrow region - a single preachy belch - his only response was to "loop the tape", and repeat his failed assertion.

Those people serve no purpose here. Rather than placing restrictions on the responses provided to such people, the restrictions should perhaps be against such people wasting the time and effort of people who have attempted to learn enough to actually debate and share information.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire