Total Posts:96|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheist forum

Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 4:09:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Yes I was thinking the same thing although I think the religion forum should be sufficient for Christians. But definitely there should be a place for Atheists to congregate.
This way the Atheists can talk about how ignorant Theists are compared to themselves and when they visit the religion forum all that is out of the way.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:04:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a bad idea. How about a forum for theists and atheists, then a middle ground forum for those who want to engage in conversations and debates
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:15:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 5:04:41 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a bad idea. How about a forum for theists and atheists, then a middle ground forum for those who want to engage in conversations and debates

Yes, exactly. I think it would be interesting to discuss some issues with only atheist participants, and imagine the theist would have the same desire.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:21:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 4:09:32 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Yes I was thinking the same thing although I think the religion forum should be sufficient for Christians. But definitely there should be a place for Atheists to congregate.
This way the Atheists can talk about how ignorant Theists are compared to themselves and when they visit the religion forum all that is out of the way.

Well, my desire is not to have a place to bad-mouth theists, but a place to develop ideas and discuss issues specific to participants who are atheists. Also, I would be an advocate for a theist room as well.

These are not to be locked private rooms, I am envisioning public rooms so everyone could still see the conversations, but only those meeting the prerequisite could participate.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:43:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 5:17:35 PM, Envisage wrote:
Meh. Kfc.

I assume you're not talking Kentucky Fried Chicken. :-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Geogeer
Posts: 4,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:50:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

My question is wouldn't those discussions fit into the various other forums on the site? Or do people sit around discussing what they are not?
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:07:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 5:50:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

My question is wouldn't those discussions fit into the various other forums on the site? Or do people sit around discussing what they are not?

No, they do not. For instance, there is not currently a forum where atheists can develop concepts and arguments such as the problem of evil or rebuttal to theists arguments such as the Kalam.

I'm sure theists would enjoy the same, and an exclusive room could be used for many purposes. For instance, theists could discuss which arguments to avoid, contrast views on the Bible, or discuss current events.

Silliness aside, I believe it could be an interesting experiment at the very least.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:07:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Meh. Seems like a stupid idea to me. I don't want to segregate anyone on here. And even if we did do this, how many people would just invade the other forum? Let's be honest here...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Geogeer
Posts: 4,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:16:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:07:16 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 5:50:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

My question is wouldn't those discussions fit into the various other forums on the site? Or do people sit around discussing what they are not?

No, they do not. For instance, there is not currently a forum where atheists can develop concepts and arguments such as the problem of evil or rebuttal to theists arguments such as the Kalam.

Philosophy and Science.

I'm sure theists would enjoy the same, and an exclusive room could be used for many purposes. For instance, theists could discuss which arguments to avoid, contrast views on the Bible, or discuss current events.

If I wanted a discussion between Catholics or Christians or Theists only I would specify that in the topic title and just ignore any atheists that chose to butt into a conversation they were not invited to.

Silliness aside, I believe it could be an interesting experiment at the very least.

I fail to see it happening. It would turn into an echo chamber of mocking and derision...
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:23:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't like it.

In addition to, and apart from stifling dissent..
one conversation can bleed into another, and not only can Religious people have interesting perspectives in what would be "Atheist-only" conversations, but they may have interesting perspectives on conversations which just came about separate to the topic at hand in the relevant Atheist only thread.

I'd say just try to ban the complete trolls who are nothing but annoying on both sides.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:23:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:16:33 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:07:16 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 5:50:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

My question is wouldn't those discussions fit into the various other forums on the site? Or do people sit around discussing what they are not?

No, they do not. For instance, there is not currently a forum where atheists can develop concepts and arguments such as the problem of evil or rebuttal to theists arguments such as the Kalam.

Philosophy and Science.

I'm sure theists would enjoy the same, and an exclusive room could be used for many purposes. For instance, theists could discuss which arguments to avoid, contrast views on the Bible, or discuss current events.

If I wanted a discussion between Catholics or Christians or Theists only I would specify that in the topic title and just ignore any atheists that chose to butt into a conversation they were not invited to.

Silliness aside, I believe it could be an interesting experiment at the very least.

I fail to see it happening. It would turn into an echo chamber of mocking and derision...

I said a room without theists. :-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:27:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:23:34 PM, mortsdor wrote:
I don't like it.

In addition to, and apart from stifling dissent..

I have no desire to abolish the main religion forum. This is where theists and atheist come to bear their honed arguments after discussion in the 'only' rooms.

one conversation can bleed into another, and not only can Religious people have interesting perspectives in what would be "Atheist-only" conversations, but they may have interesting perspectives on conversations which just came about separate to the topic at hand in the relevant Atheist only thread.

I'd say just try to ban the complete trolls who are nothing but annoying on both sides.

Yes.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:39:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:27:19 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:23:34 PM, mortsdor wrote:
I don't like it.

In addition to, and apart from stifling dissent..

I have no desire to abolish the main religion forum. This is where theists and atheist come to bear their honed arguments after discussion in the 'only' rooms.

one conversation can bleed into another, and not only can Religious people have interesting perspectives in what would be "Atheist-only" conversations, but they may have interesting perspectives on conversations which just came about separate to the topic at hand in the relevant Atheist only thread.

I'd say just try to ban the complete trolls who are nothing but annoying on both sides.

Yes.

I take it the yes is in reference to the banning of trolls... but what would you say to
one conversation can bleed into another, and not only can Religious people have interesting perspectives in what would be "Atheist-only" conversations, but they may have interesting perspectives on conversations which just came about separate to the topic at hand in the relevant Atheist only thread.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:52:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:39:05 PM, mortsdor wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:27:19 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:23:34 PM, mortsdor wrote:
I don't like it.

In addition to, and apart from stifling dissent..

I have no desire to abolish the main religion forum. This is where theists and atheist come to bear their honed arguments after discussion in the 'only' rooms.

one conversation can bleed into another, and not only can Religious people have interesting perspectives in what would be "Atheist-only" conversations, but they may have interesting perspectives on conversations which just came about separate to the topic at hand in the relevant Atheist only thread.

I'd say just try to ban the complete trolls who are nothing but annoying on both sides.

Yes.

I take it the yes is in reference to the banning of trolls... but what would you say to
one conversation can bleed into another, and not only can Religious people have interesting perspectives in what would be "Atheist-only" conversations, but they may have interesting perspectives on conversations which just came about separate to the topic at hand in the relevant Atheist only thread.

Sometimes, that can be interesting, but not always. The never ending tangents can leave the original topic inadequately explored. Presumably, this would still occur, I am not advocating abolishing the religion forum.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:53:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a great idea. All that does is allow them to hide in their ridiculously harmful beliefs, and never be challenged to provide them with any veracity. A number of sites have done this, simply because it affords the theists the kind of protection through which to hide their failed beliefs from the voice of reason.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:55:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:53:27 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a great idea. All that does is allow them to hide in their ridiculously harmful beliefs, and never be challenged to provide them with any veracity. A number of sites have done this, simply because it affords the theists the kind of protection through which to hide their failed beliefs from the voice of reason.

I suppose I was not clear. I propose atheist/theists only forums in addition to the religion forum.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 8:44:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:16:33 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:07:16 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 5:50:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

My question is wouldn't those discussions fit into the various other forums on the site? Or do people sit around discussing what they are not?

No, they do not. For instance, there is not currently a forum where atheists can develop concepts and arguments such as the problem of evil or rebuttal to theists arguments such as the Kalam.

Philosophy and Science.

I'm sure theists would enjoy the same, and an exclusive room could be used for many purposes. For instance, theists could discuss which arguments to avoid, contrast views on the Bible, or discuss current events.

If I wanted a discussion between Catholics or Christians or Theists only I would specify that in the topic title and just ignore any atheists that chose to butt into a conversation they were not invited to.

Silliness aside, I believe it could be an interesting experiment at the very least.

I fail to see it happening. It would turn into an echo chamber of mocking and derision...

Not really that much different than what the religion forum is now.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 8:46:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:53:27 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a great idea. All that does is allow them to hide in their ridiculously harmful beliefs, and never be challenged to provide them with any veracity. A number of sites have done this, simply because it affords the theists the kind of protection through which to hide their failed beliefs from the voice of reason.

Right, but this is a debate site. We have a debate section for challenging views and beliefs, while the forum can be a hangout for the people in the community of their theist or atheist side.
Thanksfornotraping
Posts: 238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 8:52:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Then what's the point of this site "Debatedotorg"?
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 9:15:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 6:55:18 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:53:27 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a great idea. All that does is allow them to hide in their ridiculously harmful beliefs, and never be challenged to provide them with any veracity. A number of sites have done this, simply because it affords the theists the kind of protection through which to hide their failed beliefs from the voice of reason.

I suppose I was not clear. I propose atheist/theists only forums in addition to the religion forum.

Yes, I understood you. And then the theists can all cluster in the Theist Forum, and get upset if an atheist tries to discuss their beliefs with them. It's what most Christians want - to conceal their beliefs behind an impenetrable shield so that they're never challenged and they never have to try to support them. Meanwhile, they continue to use their majority numbers in the populations to drive their beliefs into legislation.

What you're proposing is the Internet version of the Catholic church wanting to prevent public access to Bibles. Only when theists have to support their beliefs, can they see how fully unsupportable their beliefs are. And I'll not hesitate here to point out that this is a DEBATE website, for the purpose of debate. So do me this little favor. Do some quick searches of the professional debates on YouTube. Get a rough objective idea of how many are theist/theist debates, compared to theist/atheist debates. Usually in a debate, there is more to be discussed if the two sides aren't both of the very same beliefs.

Right?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 9:30:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 8:46:20 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Right, but this is a debate site.
Indeed

We have a debate section for challenging views and beliefs,
Yeah...

while the forum can be a hangout for the people in the community of their theist or atheist side.

mmm... but as you said, this is a debate site...

I know, how bout
the forums can be a section for discussing and debating views and beliefs
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 9:30:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 8:46:20 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:53:27 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a great idea. All that does is allow them to hide in their ridiculously harmful beliefs, and never be challenged to provide them with any veracity. A number of sites have done this, simply because it affords the theists the kind of protection through which to hide their failed beliefs from the voice of reason.

Right, but this is a debate site. We have a debate section for challenging views and beliefs, while the forum can be a hangout for the people in the community of their theist or atheist side.

The SITE is a debate oriented site... the whole thing. The forums are a section of the DEBATE SITE. That's likely why it's called "DEBATE" dot ORG - because it's about debate. There is a section specifically for formal debates, but formal debates tend to be somewhat neutered by the formal framework. Debates can be more open, and engage more minds when they take place in the "forum" section, of the DEBATE website - where "informal debates" occur - debates unconstrained by the formalities of the formal debate section. But the whole site is about debate... including the forums.

There are already tons of different sites for atheists to "fellowship" with atheists, and almost countless religious sites specifically for theists to "fellowship" with theists. If that's what someone wants, then they should leave here, and go there. Trying to make this the same thing as all of those plebeian brain-blocker sites, is - in my opinion - just an awful idea. Why make this the same kind of site as dozens of others?

If you separate the theist forum from the atheist forum, then the atheist forum because nothing more than the ThinkAtheist site, which - in my opinion - is pretty boring. It's....

USER 1: "I don't believe any gods exist."

USER 2: "Me neither."

...Log Off

Meanwhile the Theist-only forum becomes nothing more than the dozens of Christian fellowship sites already on the web. That's fine if that's what people want. But there are already dozens and dozens of Christian-only and theist-only sites. What's wrong with having one where people challenge beliefs, and defend beliefs?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 9:42:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 9:30:22 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 8:46:20 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:53:27 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a great idea. All that does is allow them to hide in their ridiculously harmful beliefs, and never be challenged to provide them with any veracity. A number of sites have done this, simply because it affords the theists the kind of protection through which to hide their failed beliefs from the voice of reason.

Right, but this is a debate site. We have a debate section for challenging views and beliefs, while the forum can be a hangout for the people in the community of their theist or atheist side.

The SITE is a debate oriented site... the whole thing. The forums are a section of the DEBATE SITE. That's likely why it's called "DEBATE" dot ORG - because it's about debate. There is a section specifically for formal debates, but formal debates tend to be somewhat neutered by the formal framework. Debates can be more open, and engage more minds when they take place in the "forum" section, of the DEBATE website - where "informal debates" occur - debates unconstrained by the formalities of the formal debate section. But the whole site is about debate... including the forums.

There are already tons of different sites for atheists to "fellowship" with atheists, and almost countless religious sites specifically for theists to "fellowship" with theists. If that's what someone wants, then they should leave here, and go there. Trying to make this the same thing as all of those plebeian brain-blocker sites, is - in my opinion - just an awful idea. Why make this the same kind of site as dozens of others?

If you separate the theist forum from the atheist forum, then the atheist forum because nothing more than the ThinkAtheist site, which - in my opinion - is pretty boring. It's....

USER 1: "I don't believe any gods exist."

USER 2: "Me neither."

...Log Off

Meanwhile the Theist-only forum becomes nothing more than the dozens of Christian fellowship sites already on the web. That's fine if that's what people want. But there are already dozens and dozens of Christian-only and theist-only sites. What's wrong with having one where people challenge beliefs, and defend beliefs?

It doesn't just need to be about not believing in God. Why not talk about subjects like how Ken Ham is now in danger with his water park Ark project because of the requirements in the job applications.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 9:46:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 9:42:35 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/28/2014 9:30:22 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 8:46:20 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:53:27 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

Not a great idea. All that does is allow them to hide in their ridiculously harmful beliefs, and never be challenged to provide them with any veracity. A number of sites have done this, simply because it affords the theists the kind of protection through which to hide their failed beliefs from the voice of reason.

Right, but this is a debate site. We have a debate section for challenging views and beliefs, while the forum can be a hangout for the people in the community of their theist or atheist side.

The SITE is a debate oriented site... the whole thing. The forums are a section of the DEBATE SITE. That's likely why it's called "DEBATE" dot ORG - because it's about debate. There is a section specifically for formal debates, but formal debates tend to be somewhat neutered by the formal framework. Debates can be more open, and engage more minds when they take place in the "forum" section, of the DEBATE website - where "informal debates" occur - debates unconstrained by the formalities of the formal debate section. But the whole site is about debate... including the forums.

There are already tons of different sites for atheists to "fellowship" with atheists, and almost countless religious sites specifically for theists to "fellowship" with theists. If that's what someone wants, then they should leave here, and go there. Trying to make this the same thing as all of those plebeian brain-blocker sites, is - in my opinion - just an awful idea. Why make this the same kind of site as dozens of others?

If you separate the theist forum from the atheist forum, then the atheist forum because nothing more than the ThinkAtheist site, which - in my opinion - is pretty boring. It's....

USER 1: "I don't believe any gods exist."

USER 2: "Me neither."

...Log Off

Meanwhile the Theist-only forum becomes nothing more than the dozens of Christian fellowship sites already on the web. That's fine if that's what people want. But there are already dozens and dozens of Christian-only and theist-only sites. What's wrong with having one where people challenge beliefs, and defend beliefs?

It doesn't just need to be about not believing in God. Why not talk about subjects like how Ken Ham is now in danger with his water park Ark project because of the requirements in the job applications.

Perhaps I need to simplify my point. Take a look at this list.

American Atheists
American Humanist Association
Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
Atheist Alliance America
Atheist Alliance International
Atheist Nexus
Ayaan Hirsi Ali - AHA foundation
Beltway Atheists
Black Atheists of America
Black Nonbelievers of Atlanta
Brights, The
Center For Inquiry, The
Centre For Naturalism
Church of Reality
Clergy Project, The
Committee for Skeptical Inquiry(CFI Affiliate)
First Church of Atheism
Council For Secular Humanism(CFI Affiliate)
Foundation Beyond Belief
Freedom From Religion Foundation, The
Freethought Society, The
Humanist Chaplaincy, The
Humanist Institute
Institute for Humanist Studies
International Humanist and Ethical Union
Internet Infidels
James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) An educational resource on the paranormal, pseudoscientific, and the supernatural
Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers (MAAF)
Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF)
National Ethical Service An affiliate of the American Ethical Union
Naturalism.org A project created by the Center For Naturalism
Non-Theist Friends A site created by Quakers who don't believe in a literal God or the supernatural
North Texas Church of Freethought
Rationalist International
Rational Thoughts
Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
Secular Coalition for America
Secular Coalition for Alabama
Secular Student Alliance, The
Society for Humanistic Judaism
The Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic
Triangle Freethought Society
Unitarian Universalist Infidels
United Coalition of Reason
Universal Pantheist Society
World Pantheist Movement
World Union of Deists

If you want an atheist-only site... Pick One!
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Geogeer
Posts: 4,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 10:05:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 8:44:12 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:16:33 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:07:16 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 5:50:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

My question is wouldn't those discussions fit into the various other forums on the site? Or do people sit around discussing what they are not?

No, they do not. For instance, there is not currently a forum where atheists can develop concepts and arguments such as the problem of evil or rebuttal to theists arguments such as the Kalam.

Philosophy and Science.

I'm sure theists would enjoy the same, and an exclusive room could be used for many purposes. For instance, theists could discuss which arguments to avoid, contrast views on the Bible, or discuss current events.

If I wanted a discussion between Catholics or Christians or Theists only I would specify that in the topic title and just ignore any atheists that chose to butt into a conversation they were not invited to.

Silliness aside, I believe it could be an interesting experiment at the very least.

I fail to see it happening. It would turn into an echo chamber of mocking and derision...

Not really that much different than what the religion forum is now.

True. However it would never get used. People like Bulproof and Beast are only here for the fight to mock. They wouldn't ever enter an atheist only room. Their egos wouldn't be fed that way.
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 10:14:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 10:05:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:
True. However it would never get used. People like Bulproof and Beast are only here for the fight to mock. They wouldn't ever enter an atheist only room. Their egos wouldn't be fed that way.

You must admit to the fact that in the world generally questioning Religion is kind of a no-no. (family, politics, etc.)

Are you surprised that people turn to the internet with their pent up frustrations?

Also, to the point, there's not too much to debate amongst atheists that regards anything that could plausibly be "atheist only" lol

except perhaps the Extent to which theism should be denied... Agnosticism/weak atheism vs strong atheism... which isn't all that engaging a topic.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 10:19:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 10:05:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 8:44:12 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:16:33 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 6:07:16 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 10/28/2014 5:50:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/28/2014 3:36:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy talking with you guys, but I have a suggestion.

I was visiting another website, and they had an 'atheist' forum (atheists only). They also had a 'Christians only' forum, but a 'theists only' forum may serve better here. Perhaps we could make something like that happens here?

My question is wouldn't those discussions fit into the various other forums on the site? Or do people sit around discussing what they are not?

No, they do not. For instance, there is not currently a forum where atheists can develop concepts and arguments such as the problem of evil or rebuttal to theists arguments such as the Kalam.

Philosophy and Science.

I'm sure theists would enjoy the same, and an exclusive room could be used for many purposes. For instance, theists could discuss which arguments to avoid, contrast views on the Bible, or discuss current events.

If I wanted a discussion between Catholics or Christians or Theists only I would specify that in the topic title and just ignore any atheists that chose to butt into a conversation they were not invited to.

Silliness aside, I believe it could be an interesting experiment at the very least.

I fail to see it happening. It would turn into an echo chamber of mocking and derision...

Not really that much different than what the religion forum is now.

True. However it would never get used. People like Bulproof and Beast are only here for the fight to mock. They wouldn't ever enter an atheist only room. Their egos wouldn't be fed that way.

Ever notice how when you engage in debate you're "Defending the faith!"

And when we (people like bulproof and myself), do it, we're "Feeding our egos"?

Have a peek at your mirror.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 10:27:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
if someone makes a thread explicitly asking for a christian interpretation of particular christian ritual, or asking for and internal christian debate on specific dogma...

People should respect the topic of the thread, and it's presumptions, as far as that goes.

That is so long as the posts in the thread argue within the assumed framework, it would be improper to question the framework which the question assumes.

For example , if the topic is "What is the proper interpretation of Surah xyz in the Quran" no atheist should show up unprovoked to say "The Quran is nonsense why do you believe in it."
However, there's no reason Atheists can't also make arguments as to why it should be interpreted a certain why.

Additionally, though people should Initially try to respect the OP's questions and supposed purpose of the thread, Additional topics can legitimately/naturally be brought up in the course of the discussion, and these should be allowed to play out within reason.