Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Evasive, Snarky, Beligerant and...respect me!

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 2:23:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This may be deemed inappropriate but since a particular problem seems to be escalating, perhaps it needs to be addressed. And PLEASE, I'm not talking about everyone.

But I do see a lot of members here who engage in a debate, and then start evading points, chanting like a Hari Krishna (no offense), plugging their ears, responding with "Blah, blah, blah..." and then suddenly...

... they're all hurt an offended because big, bad Mr Opposition in the debate wasn't nice to them. And I simply find this to be childish. Certainly, it can be said that we all owe each other a degree of social accord. But we should also remember that eventually, you're going to get what you give. Some might even say, "you'll reap what you sow". And when that happens, don't cry about it. Consider that you did everything you could to frustrate your opponent rather than being up-standing, rational and direct, and you succeeded. But this is not FRUSTRATE.ORG, this is DEBATE.ORG and the intent (it would appear) is to provide the free service of a place for mature (hopefully), rational (preferably), intellectual (where possible), human discourse.

Don't expect everyone to approach you with infinite patience. Attend to them as though you weren't trying to evade the debate in which you engaged, and when you find that they've placed you in a logical corner, don't just circle back around to where you started. Consider that they have given you something to think about. Perhaps even follow through with that. But don't blame someone when they've finally given you what you've been begging for.

Just another two cents toward the pot.

Comments, objections, additions...?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:06:42 AM
At 10/29/2014 2:23:08 AM, Beastt wrote:
This may be deemed inappropriate but since a particular problem seems to be escalating, perhaps it needs to be addressed. And PLEASE, I'm not talking about everyone.

But I do see a lot of members here who engage in a debate, and then start evading points, chanting like a Hari Krishna (no offense), plugging their ears, responding with "Blah, blah, blah..." and then suddenly...

... they're all hurt an offended because big, bad Mr Opposition in the debate wasn't nice to them. And I simply find this to be childish. Certainly, it can be said that we all owe each other a degree of social accord. But we should also remember that eventually, you're going to get what you give. Some might even say, "you'll reap what you sow". And when that happens, don't cry about it. Consider that you did everything you could to frustrate your opponent rather than being up-standing, rational and direct, and you succeeded. But this is not FRUSTRATE.ORG, this is DEBATE.ORG and the intent (it would appear) is to provide the free service of a place for mature (hopefully), rational (preferably), intellectual (where possible), human discourse.

Don't expect everyone to approach you with infinite patience. Attend to them as though you weren't trying to evade the debate in which you engaged, and when you find that they've placed you in a logical corner, don't just circle back around to where you started. Consider that they have given you something to think about. Perhaps even follow through with that. But don't blame someone when they've finally given you what you've been begging for.

Let's play "guess who is being referred to".

My first guess is BenShapiro. Hit or miss?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:11:29 AM
At 10/29/2014 4:06:42 AM, dee-em wrote:

Miss!

I wasn't really thinking about anyone specific; though I could name two or three. But that's not the point and I really don't want to point fingers. It's just a general observation and hopefully, some of those who might read it, will give it a moment's thought.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:52:57 AM
At 10/29/2014 4:11:29 AM, Beastt wrote:

Miss!

I wasn't really thinking about anyone specific; though I could name two or three. But that's not the point and I really don't want to point fingers. It's just a general observation and hopefully, some of those who might read it, will give it a moment's thought.

Actually I think I know at least one of the people you mean but I wanted to create a bit of suspense and have some fun. :-)

Seriously, I have the same problem. LMGIG accused me of abusing him when I was just pointing out the inanity of calling atheists fools. And he knows how to really dish it out!

The other issue I have is, when the going gets tough, some theists just abandon the thread and pop up somewhere else.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 5:01:09 AM
At 10/29/2014 4:52:57 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:11:29 AM, Beastt wrote:

Miss!

Actually I think I know at least one of the people you mean but I wanted to create a bit of suspense and have some fun. :-)

Seriously, I have the same problem. LMGIG accused me of abusing him when I was just pointing out the inanity of calling atheists fools. And he knows how to really dish it out!

The other issue I have is, when the going gets tough, some theists just abandon the thread and pop up somewhere else.

I guess it's asking too much from some of them to expect them to stick around when they find that their most passionately held beliefs are indefensible and easily destroyed through critical analysis. But it does get a little tiresome to see the "provoke" "provoke" "evade" "trash talk" "insult" "name-call" "cry* and then play the victim. And unless I've just been very unlucky lately, it's becoming more wide-spread.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 5:33:40 AM
I agree beast. It annoys me especially when they go to rejectionist mode and start saying things like: mutations do not happen in the first place!!!!1!1 And I'm like wtf dude stop trolling.

So yeah, some people have the ability to put you on your nerves when debating, but I have yet not seen any great disrespect here in all honesty (well, maybe neutral comments about bulproof lol). In general, I would say people take it too personally, although it should be understood that in this forum there are adolescents (biological and mental ones), and most teens take EVERYTHING personally.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:36:22 AM

Why do you insist on parading your childish ego every single day on these boards? You are just another atheist troll no different in kind and behavior from thousands of your types running around like babies crying over their lack of spiritual milk. We theists can't help that you atheists are immature adults whose brains are not fully functioning as human brains are capable of doing, i.e. atheists are mentally disabled people who unfortunately do not know it because brain scans are not commonly available so they get away with hiding their disability from public scrutiny. But this won't last much longer as brain scans get more sophisticated.

Meanwhile, beastlike human being, try evolving mentally and catch up to bicamerally consciousness. Or ignore this advice and continue to show us how much your ego means to you instead of growing in wisdom and knowledge.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 8:40:15 AM
Atheists and atheism. As about as worthless an ideology to human moral progress as Muhammad's brainwashing excuse of a religion. Both waste human life by discounting its value whenever given political power over societies.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 9:30:01 AM
At 10/29/2014 8:40:15 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
Atheists and atheism. As about as worthless an ideology to human moral progress as Muhammad's brainwashing excuse of a religion. Both waste human life by discounting its value whenever given political power over societies.

I do not see how this is relevant to the OP. I also do not see how insulting people can make for that good of an argument.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:39:04 AM
At 10/29/2014 8:36:22 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

Why do you insist on parading your childish ego every single day on these boards? You are just another atheist troll no different in kind and behavior from thousands of your types running around like babies crying over their lack of spiritual milk. We theists can't help that you atheists are immature adults whose brains are not fully functioning as human brains are capable of doing, i.e. atheists are mentally disabled people who unfortunately do not know it because brain scans are not commonly available so they get away with hiding their disability from public scrutiny. But this won't last much longer as brain scans get more sophisticated.

Meanwhile, beastlike human being, try evolving mentally and catch up to bicamerally consciousness. Or ignore this advice and continue to show us how much your ego means to you instead of growing in wisdom and knowledge.

Lol
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 10:40:29 AM

Deem u r his victim...haleloya!
Never fart near dog
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:21:52 AM
At 10/29/2014 10:39:04 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 8:36:22 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

Lol

Well said
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:23:52 AM
At 10/29/2014 9:21:37 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Plank in your own eye and all that.

Cheap unsupported jabs are common. Or... you could try to support that.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:29:20 AM
At 10/29/2014 11:23:52 AM, Beastt wrote:

Try to support what? That you are the common denominator in these situations?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 11:46:42 AM

Quote The Enders Game:
"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it"s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them."

It is evident to me that most of the people here aren't interested in understanding other people's points of views and these are the ones you are complaining about. If understanding was present then there would be no argument or would there? Unless it is ones goal to destroy another's beliefs. In that case to understand your opponent is the obvious weapon of choice. The wounds it inflicts are of the most painful variety and it destroys beliefs. And even you are not immune to the harsh blows.

Do not engage in intellectual and emotional combat unless you are willing to understand your enemy. There are three kinds of people in this place:
1. Those who refuse understanding and impose themselves on others with a dull weapon. They usually lose and fall back to regroup.
2. Those who understand and love too much to destroy another's most cherished beliefs. They are the careful ones and they rarely win.
3. And finally those who understand and destroy. These people leave a wake of destruction their paths because they are using the weapon of choice that will cut deep.

If you truly understand them and are prepared to destroy their beliefs then you are of the third type. And you must know that eventually your beliefs will be slain as well. It is just a matter of time. Beliefs, all of them can be dissected and destroyed. And that is what these religious debates are really about.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 12:19:58 PM

Me.

http://www.debate.org... #57.

After the original poster had spent a bunch of his post ranting instead of providing arguments I began my answer to the very last portion of my response with blah, blah, blah. Not the most intellectual response, but it was more respectful than the tone of the comment I was reply to. Additionally, it was at the end of a long post that I'd spent considerable time answering. It was in the wee hours of the morning with a newborn baby on my lap that I was getting back to sleep.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 12:53:11 PM
At 10/29/2014 11:46:42 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

Quote The Enders Game:
"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it"s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them."

It is evident to me that most of the people here aren't interested in understanding other people's points of views and these are the ones you are complaining about. If understanding was present then there would be no argument or would there? Unless it is ones goal to destroy another's beliefs. In that case to understand your opponent is the obvious weapon of choice. The wounds it inflicts are of the most painful variety and it destroys beliefs. And even you are not immune to the harsh blows.

Do not engage in intellectual and emotional combat unless you are willing to understand your enemy. There are three kinds of people in this place:
1. Those who refuse understanding and impose themselves on others with a dull weapon. They usually lose and fall back to regroup.
2. Those who understand and love too much to destroy another's most cherished beliefs. They are the careful ones and they rarely win.
3. And finally those who understand and destroy. These people leave a wake of destruction their paths because they are using the weapon of choice that will cut deep.

If you truly understand them and are prepared to destroy their beliefs then you are of the third type. And you must know that eventually your beliefs will be slain as well. It is just a matter of time. Beliefs, all of them can be dissected and destroyed. And that is what these religious debates are really about.

We have "destroyed" the beliefs of those who held their volcano god so deeply in their emotional being, that they willingly allowed their children to be cast into active craters. People in active craters rarely die quickly from the heat. They choke and gasp from the noxious gases expelled from fissures. Their skin blisters, and they die in slow agony. We've put an end to this by "destroying people's beliefs", and replacing them with an accurate understanding of vulcanology. This is not a bad thing.

For ages people believed that diseases were the result of possession by evil spirits. Even in the Bible we find Jesus curing leprosy by casting out evil spirits. People engaged in all kinds of rituals and procedures to try to cast these demons out. Many of them utilized a tactic of putting the body through intense pain in the hope that the spirit would also feel this pain and leave. Sometimes, people would have survived the disease itself, but were so stressed and weakened by the "treatment", that they succumbed. We've put an end to that (in most of the world), by destroying beliefs and replacing them with understanding of germ theory.

Last night we were discussing a victim of these types of enslaving beliefs. And still today you're concerned about "destroying" these beliefs.

The combatants in hundreds of wars have been propelled forth in the belief that their god is carrying them into battle, will fight on their side, and push them through to victory. Millions have died in these beliefs. We have not yet destroyed those beliefs, and observe their effects across the planet.

I glanced at a copy of "National Geographic" yesterday and noticed a quotation by Neil deGrasse Tyson. It wasn't terribly profound but it did make the statement that virtually everything in our lives today which makes our lives more enjoyable, longer, and more comfortable, are the result of observation to science methodology. And yet, science has faced a continual combatant in the beliefs of the religious. We're about 150-years into the ongoing battle between creationism and evolution. We've been using evolution in industry (primarily medical), for several decades, and still they cling to beliefs which deny the value of these fields of science. The only way we will ever advance our knowledge, is through the destruction of formerly held beliefs - some of them from science itself.

When you "destroy" a belief, it creates a vacancy to be filled with a truth, yet you make this sound like a terrible, and destructive thing to do. Take a moment to sit back and scan the room around you. Obviously, you see a computer - a marvel of technology - without which, our lives would be dragged - kicking and screaming - to a time of far lesser convenience, more deaths and less accessibility to knowledge. But what else do you see? A comfortable chair under you - the product of modern mass-production techniques? An electric light? A television connected to a DVD player, a stereo, a satellite reception system, possibly even your phone? Is there a smartphone nearby - a portable computer with a radio transceiver incorporated, which slips into your purse, or onto a waste-band? Is there a faint - almost imperceptible - hum from a nearby refrigerator? How many tons of food are preserved world-wide, due to the advent of refrigeration? Is there a remote control nearby? Carpet under your feet?

Destroying beliefs is a good thing; especially when those beliefs are false, and prevent improvements to our interface with our environment. Is it a shameful destructive act to empty your garbage can? Or do we fill it with the things in our lives which might otherwise subject us to the rancid, the germ-infested, and the unnecessary? We're not being careless about the beliefs we hope to destroy, and we're not without beneficial replacements which demonstrate their accuracy. It's a simple; out with the old and false, and in with the new and true. It's education, and it's not a bad thing.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 12:58:09 PM
At 10/29/2014 12:19:58 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Me.

After the original poster had spent a bunch of his post ranting instead of providing arguments I began my answer to the very last portion of my response with blah, blah, blah. Not the most intellectual response, but it was more respectful than the tone of the comment I was reply to. Additionally, it was at the end of a long post that I'd spent considerable time answering. It was in the wee hours of the morning with a newborn baby on my lap that I was getting back to sleep.

A baby?? Whoooo! I love little babies. And cute little new borns too. Congrats my good man. From your measured posts here, I think lil' Geo is lucky to have a papa like you.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 1:03:27 PM
At 10/29/2014 12:58:09 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Me.

A baby?? Whoooo! I love little babies. And cute little new borns too. Congrats my good man. From your measured posts here, I think lil' Geo is lucky to have a papa like you.

Thank-you for your kind words and well wishes. I am the one who is lucky to be blessed in such a wonderful way, she's the one who has to put up with me. Maybe I'll have to nickname her "Little Gea."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 1:09:49 PM
At 10/29/2014 11:29:20 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

That's not even what you implied and you know that. Support your suggestion that I'm engaging in the very same practices which I've named as problems in the O.P. If someone continually challenges me to show them inaccuracies and false claims in the Bible, and I do so, they shouldn't jump to claims that I don't know what it says, even though I've shown them what it says. Yet this is common. People seem to believe that "Nuh huh" is a valid, intelligent response to points made in debate. It's not.

And yet, my objection is not to the childishness, the evasiveness or the circular nature of the arguments. It's that they willfully engage in such unsophisticated juvenile needling, and then demand that we respect them for it, and even report us for "harassing" or "bullying" them, when all we're doing is upholding our side of the debate with valid, supportable and evidenced assertions.

And when they turn to claims of pure (sorry - sake of accuracy) "stupidity", rather than concede, we're the "bad guys" for pointing out the absence of intellect in their responses.

Hold a mirror up to your suggestion regarding the "plank in my eye". What does it show you about that comment?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 1:11:22 PM

This is brilliant!!!!!! Fantastical!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!!!! Wonderful!!!!!! Genious!!!!!!!!

Five out of five stars!!!!!! More Power to the Beast!!!!!!!!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 2:55:20 PM
At 10/29/2014 1:09:49 PM, Beastt wrote:

That's not even what you implied and you know that.

You can read my mind now?

Support your suggestion that I'm engaging in the very same practices which I've named as problems in the O.P. If someone continually challenges me to show them inaccuracies and false claims in the Bible, and I do so, they shouldn't jump to claims that I don't know what it says, even though I've shown them what it says. Yet this is common. People seem to believe that "Nuh huh" is a valid, intelligent response to points made in debate. It's not.

You are constantly derisive, snarky, and belligerent. People are to you. Common denominator. Plank in eyes.

And yet, my objection is not to the childishness, the evasiveness or the circular nature of the arguments. It's that they willfully engage in such unsophisticated juvenile needling, and then demand that we respect them for it, and even report us for "harassing" or "bullying" them, when all we're doing is upholding our side of the debate with valid, supportable and evidenced assertions.

And when they turn to claims of pure (sorry - sake of accuracy) "stupidity", rather than concede, we're the "bad guys" for pointing out the absence of intellect in their responses.

Hold a mirror up to your suggestion regarding the "plank in my eye". What does it show you about that comment?

Nothing. Other than that I am merely reporting what I observe.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 3:43:17 PM
At 10/29/2014 8:40:15 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

Madea: Oh just shut up. Just shut the heck up!

You really do know how to make things awkward and it's rather annoying.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:03:21 PM

Me.

Yes, I know. I was just having a bit of fun.

That brings back memories. I didn't know any lullabies so I used to sing Beatles songs to mine. I found Yellow Submarine worked well (it drones along nicely) or sometimes Let It Be and Hey Jude.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:21:46 PM
At 10/29/2014 11:46:42 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

Beliefs, all of them can be dissected and destroyed. And that is what these religious debates are really about.

Until such time as Gabriel's trumpet blows, the 7 vials of plague are released, and 4 dudes on horses start to roam the world, I am confident the 'belief' of the atheist is safe.

Atheism doesn't need to adapt itself to fit whatever discovery has been found to make itself relevant. It doesn't require interpretations or allegory to make itself fit so as to not sound preposterous.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 4:50:33 PM
At 10/29/2014 4:03:21 PM, dee-em wrote:

Me.

Yes, I know. I was just having a bit of fun.

That brings back memories. I didn't know any lullabies so I used to sing Beatles songs to mine. I found Yellow Submarine worked well (it drones along nicely) or sometimes Let It Be and Hey Jude.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I sing Frere Jacques, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for a little while around midnight. Eventually I resort to explaining many good and logical reasons why she should just stay asleep for more than 30 seconds after I put her back in her crib at 2:30 AM. Finally I'm reduced to begging in a fetal position on the floor at 4AM for just 5 minutes of sleep...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 5:17:09 PM
At 10/29/2014 4:50:33 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I sing Frere Jacques, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for a little while around midnight. Eventually I resort to explaining many good and logical reasons why she should just stay asleep for more than 30 seconds after I put her back in her crib at 2:30 AM. Finally I'm reduced to begging in a fetal position on the floor at 4AM for just 5 minutes of sleep...

NSFW (F-word, not like boobs or anything):
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 5:30:17 PM
At 10/29/2014 5:17:09 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/29/2014 4:50:33 PM, Geogeer wrote:

NSFW (F-word, not like boobs or anything):

I figured that would pop up sooner or later...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2014 7:46:35 PM
At 10/29/2014 2:55:20 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/29/2014 1:09:49 PM, Beastt wrote:

That's not even what you implied and you know that.

You can read my mind now?
I can read your text.

Support your suggestion that I'm engaging in the very same practices which I've named as problems in the O.P. If someone continually challenges me to show them inaccuracies and false claims in the Bible, and I do so, they shouldn't jump to claims that I don't know what it says, even though I've shown them what it says. Yet this is common. People seem to believe that "Nuh huh" is a valid, intelligent response to points made in debate. It's not.

You are constantly derisive, snarky, and belligerent. People are to you. Common denominator. Plank in eyes.
I take an aggressive line to debate, but I don't play the silly games I've mentioned in the O.P.

Nothing. Other than that I am merely reporting what I observe.
Your powers of observation are both lacking, and distorted. You're not watching nearly as closely, or objectively, as you seem to think.