Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheists try to ruin the religion forum

LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:28:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Eventually we atheists will organize a cull of all religious folk in the forum, and sell anyone who professes belief into slavery, and execute every second child they have to maintain an oppressive mental state.

Once that happens we will start our own religion and worship our secret God which is greater than any other God before her, because we only pretend not to believe in God to hide our ulterior, more sinister motives.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:29:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

I suppose that is true of some atheists, but certainly not all. Some are merely attracted by the argument, or by the fact that the religion forum is the most active on the site, along with other reasons. I might also add that there are some "believers" who seem to be as obnoxious as any atheist, although I agree that atheists tend to try setting themselves up as intellectually superior based simply on the fact that they are "too smart" to believe in God. I am neither religious nor atheist, but rather my notions lie somewhere in-between. I think this would be a rather boring forum without any atheists on it, though. Even though I dislike extremism, it takes two sides for a lively debate.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:33:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:28:59 PM, Envisage wrote:
Eventually we atheists will organize a cull of all religious folk in the forum, and sell anyone who professes belief into slavery, and execute every second child they have to maintain an oppressive mental state.

Once that happens we will start our own religion and worship our secret God which is greater than any other God before her, because we only pretend not to believe in God to hide our ulterior, more sinister motives.

Everyone who professes belief in what? In an Abrahamic-type God, or in anything other than a completely naturalistic view of existence?
jh1234lnew
Posts: 225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:34:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

You are correct in some ways: atheists sometimes use ad hominem arguments against theists.

However, the problem with people taking some Christians seriously is that they assert that God exists without evidence.

You see, assuming that God exists makes sense when making a sermon that is intended to be presented to people who are already Christians: everyone listening agrees that God exists, so proving that God exists is redundant for the specific conversation.

However, you should not assume that God exists when talking to people who do not believe in Him. This is because not everyone listening agrees that God exists, and if you say something that is a logical corollary or extension of the idea that "God exists", you will be asked to prove that God exists in order to prove that the statement's corollaries and derivatives are also true.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:34:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.barnesandnoble.com...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bulproof
Posts: 25,247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:35:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

Let me see, I have a functioning brain and you have ancient folk tales.
Yeah I win.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:38:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

You can't even get four words into a tirade before you make a factual error. Why would anyone take what you say seriously? You're a joke.
jh1234lnew
Posts: 225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:38:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:35:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

Let me see, I have a functioning brain and you have ancient folk tales.
Yeah I win.

You just proved LifeMeansGodIsGood's point: you implied that LifeMeansGodIsGood had a non-functioning brain, and that is attacking him as a person rather than his argument.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:43:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:34:14 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

You are correct in some ways: atheists sometimes use ad hominem arguments against theists.

However, the problem with people taking some Christians seriously is that they assert that God exists without evidence.

You see, assuming that God exists makes sense when making a sermon that is intended to be presented to people who are already Christians: everyone listening agrees that God exists, so proving that God exists is redundant for the specific conversation.

However, you should not assume that God exists when talking to people who do not believe in Him. This is because not everyone listening agrees that God exists, and if you say something that is a logical corollary or extension of the idea that "God exists", you will be asked to prove that God exists in order to prove that the statement's corollaries and derivatives are also true.

well maybe those people should not come to the religion forum. It osunds like you are one of those who only want to argue against God. It seems the relgion forum would be for talking about God. You are only making an argument saying somebody who believes in God must frist prove to you that He is real before you will shut up and let people talk about Him, as if you are the king of the religion forum, and God does not belong in the religion forum but you do. Thank you for making my point.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:46:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:28:59 PM, Envisage wrote:
Eventually we atheists will organize a cull of all religious folk in the forum, and sell anyone who professes belief into slavery, and execute every second child they have to maintain an oppressive mental state.

Once that happens we will start our own religion and worship our secret God which is greater than any other God before her, because we only pretend not to believe in God to hide our ulterior, more sinister motives.

Thank you for making my point. Ahteists try to ruin the religion forum.
jh1234lnew
Posts: 225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:48:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:43:02 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:34:14 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

You are correct in some ways: atheists sometimes use ad hominem arguments against theists.

However, the problem with people taking some Christians seriously is that they assert that God exists without evidence.

You see, assuming that God exists makes sense when making a sermon that is intended to be presented to people who are already Christians: everyone listening agrees that God exists, so proving that God exists is redundant for the specific conversation.

However, you should not assume that God exists when talking to people who do not believe in Him. This is because not everyone listening agrees that God exists, and if you say something that is a logical corollary or extension of the idea that "God exists", you will be asked to prove that God exists in order to prove that the statement's corollaries and derivatives are also true.

well maybe those people should not come to the religion forum. It osunds like you are one of those who only want to argue against God. It seems the relgion forum would be for talking about God. You are only making an argument saying somebody who believes in God must frist prove to you that He is real before you will shut up and let people talk about Him, as if you are the king of the religion forum, and God does not belong in the religion forum but you do. Thank you for making my point.

No, what I'm saying is that if you say: "if you do not follow the word of God, you will be judged by him in the afterlife and you will go to Hell," as a sermon explaining the Bible, then there's nothing wrong.

However, if you say that to an atheist, they will just respond to you: "You have not proved that God exists in the first place, so how do you know that God will send me to Hell?"

To prove a logical extension of the statement "God is true", then the statement "God is true" has to be presented with convincing evidence in order for the logical extension of it to be convincing.

Basically, what I'm saying that because you have not convinced the atheist of God yet, they will not be convinced of anything that extends from the idea that God exists.
Karmanator
Posts: 142
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:52:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:46:07 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:28:59 PM, Envisage wrote:
Eventually we atheists will organize a cull of all religious folk in the forum, and sell anyone who professes belief into slavery, and execute every second child they have to maintain an oppressive mental state.

Once that happens we will start our own religion and worship our secret God which is greater than any other God before her, because we only pretend not to believe in God to hide our ulterior, more sinister motives.

Thank you for making my point. Ahteists try to ruin the religion forum.

I think its about being ok with asking questions. Any faith can stand up to anytbing but what I have seen and heard questions lead to a change in faith.

Besides that every faith has every other different faith as debate opponents including same faith across denominations.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:53:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:29:37 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

I suppose that is true of some atheists, but certainly not all. Some are merely attracted by the argument, or by the fact that the religion forum is the most active on the site, along with other reasons. I might also add that there are some "believers" who seem to be as obnoxious as any atheist, although I agree that atheists tend to try setting themselves up as intellectually superior based simply on the fact that they are "too smart" to believe in God. I am neither religious nor atheist, but rather my notions lie somewhere in-between. I think this would be a rather boring forum without any atheists on it, though. Even though I dislike extremism, it takes two sides for a lively debate.

It wouldn't be bad if atheists could say more then five consecutive words without insults. Most atheist only come to the religion forum to insult people who believe in God and try to make them shut up. Ahteists hate God and they don't want anybody reminding them that they are trying to deny He is there, so they hate people who believe in God and they try to dominate and ruin the religion forum as if God is not supposed to be mentioned in the religion forum. I have found maybe 2 out of 100 atheists who can carry on a conversation without feeling insulted and wihtout insulting. One of those was a 13 year old kid who acted much more mature than most of the atheists who come to harrass people who believe in God in the religion forum. You can read that kid in my most recent "God Loves You" debate.
bulproof
Posts: 25,247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:55:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:38:42 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:35:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

Let me see, I have a functioning brain and you have ancient folk tales.
Yeah I win.

You just proved LifeMeansGodIsGood's point: you implied that LifeMeansGodIsGood had a non-functioning brain, and that is attacking him as a person rather than his argument.

Proof that you don't know all, god. Your interpretation is interesting in an abstract sort of way. Keep trying though.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:57:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:35:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

Let me see, I have a functioning brain and you have ancient folk tales.
Yeah I win.

So you are only arguing against an Abrahamic-type God. I can't really fault you there, since I would find it hard to limit myself to a view of science based only on ideas leading -up to what was proposed by the ancient Greeks, even if modern science began with their attempts to describe the physical world. Of course those Greeks owned slaves, committed acts of atrocity and left their own babies with birth-defects to die alone in the wilderness of whichever depravity got to them first. Still, I don't think any of their behavior takes anything away from science itself.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:58:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:34:14 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

You are correct in some ways: atheists sometimes use ad hominem arguments against theists.

However, the problem with people taking some Christians seriously is that they assert that God exists without evidence.

You see, assuming that God exists makes sense when making a sermon that is intended to be presented to people who are already Christians: everyone listening agrees that God exists, so proving that God exists is redundant for the specific conversation.

However, you should not assume that God exists when talking to people who do not believe in Him. This is because not everyone listening agrees that God exists, and if you say something that is a logical corollary or extension of the idea that "God exists", you will be asked to prove that God exists in order to prove that the statement's corollaries and derivatives are also true.

The religion forum, it would seem, is for talkign about God and religion, not for talking about atheism. Atheists only come to the religion forum because the feel left out because believing in nothing leaves them nothign to talk about so they feel like they have nothing unless they can spread nothign around and try to dominate the religion forum by replacing God with themsevles.

You are helping to make the point that Atheists purposely try to ruin the religon forum.
bulproof
Posts: 25,247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:58:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:57:13 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:35:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

Let me see, I have a functioning brain and you have ancient folk tales.
Yeah I win.

So you are only arguing against an Abrahamic-type God. I can't really fault you there, since I would find it hard to limit myself to a view of science based only on ideas leading -up to what was proposed by the ancient Greeks, even if modern science began with their attempts to describe the physical world. Of course those Greeks owned slaves, committed acts of atrocity and left their own babies with birth-defects to die alone in the wilderness of whichever depravity got to them first. Still, I don't think any of their behavior takes anything away from science itself.

Which god was that?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 11:00:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:53:50 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:29:37 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

I suppose that is true of some atheists, but certainly not all. Some are merely attracted by the argument, or by the fact that the religion forum is the most active on the site, along with other reasons. I might also add that there are some "believers" who seem to be as obnoxious as any atheist, although I agree that atheists tend to try setting themselves up as intellectually superior based simply on the fact that they are "too smart" to believe in God. I am neither religious nor atheist, but rather my notions lie somewhere in-between. I think this would be a rather boring forum without any atheists on it, though. Even though I dislike extremism, it takes two sides for a lively debate.

It wouldn't be bad if atheists could say more then five consecutive words without insults. Most atheist only come to the religion forum to insult people who believe in God and try to make them shut up. Ahteists hate God and they don't want anybody reminding them that they are trying to deny He is there, so they hate people who believe in God and they try to dominate and ruin the religion forum as if God is not supposed to be mentioned in the religion forum. I have found maybe 2 out of 100 atheists who can carry on a conversation without feeling insulted and wihtout insulting. One of those was a 13 year old kid who acted much more mature than most of the atheists who come to harrass people who believe in God in the religion forum. You can read that kid in my most recent "God Loves You" debate.

The good thing about a written forum is that you get to pick and choose who to pay attention to or who to respond to. As Einstein said, only a fool tries to debate every question. I try to simply ignore those who are obviously only trying to bait me, since anything I say will be nothing more that fodder for their diatribes.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 11:02:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:58:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:57:13 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:35:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

Let me see, I have a functioning brain and you have ancient folk tales.
Yeah I win.

So you are only arguing against an Abrahamic-type God. I can't really fault you there, since I would find it hard to limit myself to a view of science based only on ideas leading -up to what was proposed by the ancient Greeks, even if modern science began with their attempts to describe the physical world. Of course those Greeks owned slaves, committed acts of atrocity and left their own babies with birth-defects to die alone in the wilderness of whichever depravity got to them first. Still, I don't think any of their behavior takes anything away from science itself.

Which god was that?

You tell me. I don't have any specific god in mind.
bulproof
Posts: 25,247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 11:04:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 11:02:15 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:58:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:57:13 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:35:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

Let me see, I have a functioning brain and you have ancient folk tales.
Yeah I win.

So you are only arguing against an Abrahamic-type God. I can't really fault you there, since I would find it hard to limit myself to a view of science based only on ideas leading -up to what was proposed by the ancient Greeks, even if modern science began with their attempts to describe the physical world. Of course those Greeks owned slaves, committed acts of atrocity and left their own babies with birth-defects to die alone in the wilderness of whichever depravity got to them first. Still, I don't think any of their behavior takes anything away from science itself.

Which god was that?

You tell me. I don't have any specific god in mind.
It's your belief, I have no gods to believe in.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 11:07:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:58:12 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:34:14 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

You are correct in some ways: atheists sometimes use ad hominem arguments against theists.

However, the problem with people taking some Christians seriously is that they assert that God exists without evidence.

You see, assuming that God exists makes sense when making a sermon that is intended to be presented to people who are already Christians: everyone listening agrees that God exists, so proving that God exists is redundant for the specific conversation.

However, you should not assume that God exists when talking to people who do not believe in Him. This is because not everyone listening agrees that God exists, and if you say something that is a logical corollary or extension of the idea that "God exists", you will be asked to prove that God exists in order to prove that the statement's corollaries and derivatives are also true.

The religion forum, it would seem, is for talkign about God and religion, not for talking about atheism. Atheists only come to the religion forum because the feel left out because believing in nothing leaves them nothign to talk about so they feel like they have nothing unless they can spread nothign around and try to dominate the religion forum by replacing God with themsevles.

You are helping to make the point that Atheists purposely try to ruin the religon forum.

Nah! There's nothing on the comedy channel as funny as the religion forum.
Just look at the loony toons it attracts.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 11:23:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What do you not get about the site's name?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 1:24:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

At 11/2/2014 1:26:20 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
I recommend at least using spell check if you want for people to think you are an authority on the matter.

You behave like you think that these atheists are the evil antagonists in some kind of spiritual warfare.

They aren't involved in spiritual warfare because they don't believe in it. They are just debating. The end.
Yes thank you jodybirdy!

LMgIG is just angry that he & his (ahem) god(s) are outclassed by many of us here at DDO & elsewhere!

Cheers!
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 1:26:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

I recommend at least using spell check if you want for people to think you are an authority on the matter.

You behave like you think that these atheists are the evil antagonists in some kind of spiritual warfare.

They aren't involved in spiritual warfare because they don't believe in it. They are just debating. The end.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
debateuser
Posts: 1,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 1:34:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

There is a reason why atheists are against religion. Religion spreads hatred and division in the world. Atheists are not against God believers. Just ideology of god believers. Everybody knows only God believers kill each other because of hatred. Atheist don't kill anybody due to religious hatred.
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 1:38:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
"The religion forum, it would seem, is for talking about God and religion, not for talking about atheism. Atheists only come to the religion forum because the feel left out because believing in nothing leaves them nothing to talk about so they feel like they have nothing unless they can spread nothing around and try to dominate the religion forum by replacing God with themselves.

You are helping to make the point that Atheists purposely try to ruin the religion forum."

Forgive me for correcting your spelling mistakes - it is the OCD in me that compels. Listen, I think you misunderstand the larger picture. We "Atheists" do no "hate" an entity we do not believe is real - so the statement that "atheists hate god" is just not applicable.
Second, any and forums, wether religious, scientific, sociologic should always allow for counter arguments in order to strengthen or abolish certain ideology. In regards to religion, the proposed claims that a supernatural being created and controls the universe bares a very large burden of proof for which there is none. These conversations are important so that we can continue to grow as a species. Being locked into Bronze and Iron age dogma that restricts us culturally and spiritually is the antitheses of moving forward.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 2:51:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/2/2014 1:24:09 AM, Composer wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:19:34 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheists are against God so they tend to be obsessed with attacking anybody who believes in God. They have to feel like they are more powerful than God, so they stroke their egos by acting like they are more powerful than people who believe in God. The way they do this in the religion forum is by being as obnoxious as possible as they try to dscourage any constructive conversation. They can't win agaisnt God, but somehow the feel like they win as long as they keep fighting, so they make themsevles into the southbound ends of northbound cows as much as possible in order to try to dominate anything that might honor God.

At 11/2/2014 1:26:20 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
I recommend at least using spell check if you want for people to think you are an authority on the matter.

You behave like you think that these atheists are the evil antagonists in some kind of spiritual warfare.

They aren't involved in spiritual warfare because they don't believe in it. They are just debating. The end.
Yes thank you jodybirdy!

LMgIG is just angry that he & his (ahem) god(s) are outclassed by many of us here at DDO & elsewhere!

Cheers!


Whoa, what just happened? You've quoted jodybirdy before she posted.

I believe, I believe!
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 3:03:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:28:59 PM, Envisage wrote:
Eventually we atheists will organize a cull of all religious folk in the forum, and sell anyone who professes belief into slavery, and execute every second child they have to maintain an oppressive mental state.

Once that happens we will start our own religion and worship our secret God which is greater than any other God before her, because we only pretend not to believe in God to hide our ulterior, more sinister motives.

No, you will simply start a 'Revolution' and drag all the religious people into a murderous purge and then institute an anti-religious government where only the 'enlightened' willing to murder those with different opinions will be allowed to govern.

http://southpark.cc.com...

At some point, beavers will get involved.

Envy, as one of the more productive atheist members of the forum, these threads really are opportunities for you. You could easily contrast yourself with the mindless nihilists who spew little more than animosity. You could actually say something intelligent, like, "I understand that there are members of our faith (whatever you guys call it these days), that do not behave well. However, most of us simply disagree."

You might then ask the clearly offended poster what actions he finds so offensive, and, shockingly, if the actions really are bad ... agree that they are bad.

Or I suppose you can go militant and pretend that Christians enslaved people but not atheists.

"Aristotle raises the question of whether slavery is natural or conventional. He asserts that the former is the case. So, Aristotle's theory of slavery holds that some people are naturally slaves and others are naturally masters."

http://oregonstate.edu...

Its quite interesting that ancient philosophers are quoted by atheists to bash religion, but when it comes to slavery ... suddenly its not relevant. Social Darwinism is not a religious belief too boot.

I believe Jesus said it best, "Let he who is without Sin caste the first stone." We are then warned heartily to avoid hypocritical judgement of others.

Judgement?

Atheists have as many problems as religious people because you all are human too.