Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is this disheartening to religious people?

Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 3:28:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is it at all disheartening to religious people to know that the reason that they are faithful to their religion solely due to one persons decision? What I mean by this is that most people follow a religion because at one point in history a certain person, generally a ruler, decided that their people would follow one particular religion, often for political gain.

For example in Russia they are Orthodox Christians because King Vladimir the Great decided to convert his Slavic and Norse people so that he could unify them. Or the majority of Europe became Catholic when Emperor Constantine embraced Catholicism around 315 AD.

Note, I am not trying to bash people's religious views, I am just wondering what your opinions about this are.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:32:36 PM
At 11/2/2014 3:28:14 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
Is it at all disheartening to religious people to know that the reason that they are faithful to their religion solely due to one persons decision? What I mean by this is that most people follow a religion because at one point in history a certain person, generally a ruler, decided that their people would follow one particular religion, often for political gain.

For example in Russia they are Orthodox Christians because King Vladimir the Great decided to convert his Slavic and Norse people so that he could unify them. Or the majority of Europe became Catholic when Emperor Constantine embraced Catholicism around 315 AD.

Note, I am not trying to bash people's religious views, I am just wondering what your opinions about this are.

No.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:35:18 PM

Not really.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:39:27 PM
At 11/2/2014 4:32:36 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

No.

How come?
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:40:16 PM
At 11/2/2014 4:35:18 PM, annanicole wrote:

Not really.

Also, how come?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:42:30 PM
At 11/2/2014 4:40:16 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Not really.

Also, how come?

Because the fact that a ruler here and there embracing a certain religion, when then meant that their subjects embraced it, is irrelevant.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:50:09 PM
At 11/2/2014 4:42:30 PM, annanicole wrote:

Not really.

Also, how come?

Because the fact that a ruler here and there embracing a certain religion, when then meant that their subjects embraced it, is irrelevant.

So, according to you, nothing can ever change the course of history?

If the Greeks hadn't defeated the Persians the year after Thermopylae, and Greek civilization had never flowered, Europe would still have developed in exactly the same way. This is your contention?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:53:53 PM
Is it at all disheartening to religious people to know that the reason that they are faithful to their religion solely due to one persons decision?

What I mean by this is that most people follow a religion because at one point in history a certain person, generally a ruler, decided that their people would follow one particular religion, often for political gain.

Geography is one of the best indicators of religious belief.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 5:08:19 PM
At 11/2/2014 4:50:09 PM, dee-em wrote:

Not really.

Also, how come?

If the Greeks hadn't defeated the Persians the year after Thermopylae, and Greek civilization had never flowered, Europe would still have developed in exactly the same way. This is your contention?

I'll have to look back up there and see if I even intimated that "nothing can ever change the course of history." I said that the fact that this ruler or that ruler happened to embrace and encourage or mandate that particular religion has nothing to do with the accuracy/veracity/genuineness of that religion.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 5:12:56 PM
At 11/2/2014 4:53:53 PM, dee-em wrote:
Is it at all disheartening to religious people to know that the reason that they are faithful to their religion solely due to one persons decision?

What I mean by this is that most people follow a religion because at one point in history a certain person, generally a ruler, decided that their people would follow one particular religion, often for political gain.

Also of social, political, economical, and ethical beliefs...what follows from that?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 5:19:44 PM

That's an interesting point. I sometimes think from a sociological standpoint that religion is part of the the development of human kind. Like we're still in our childhood or at best preadolescence in our psychological development as a species. Or maybe not. It's just interesting to me. God or no God, most people are confused by emotional attachment to ideals. The human condition.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 8:56:02 PM
At 11/2/2014 5:19:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

That's an interesting point. I sometimes think from a sociological standpoint that religion is part of the the development of human kind. Like we're still in our childhood or at best preadolescence in our psychological development as a species. Or maybe not. It's just interesting to me. God or no God, most people are confused by emotional attachment to ideals. The human condition.

God's plan called the beast ( found in the books of Daniel and Revelation ) was used to teach His people how to build things. To begin the process of teaching His people how to build things ( false gods ), He chose certain leaders to look up into the stars after the flood revealed them and use imaginary lines to connect them into shapes. Shapes like triangles, squares, rectangles, intersections, etc. became building shapes to be used by these chosen leaders to construct their false gods ( buildings, characters for language purposes, etc. )

God had planned on using the latest technology in place today to use as analogies to teach me exactly how He created us as information first, then formed into illusions called flesh and other objects that we perceive in this make-believe world we're living in. He used the computer, cinema, microscopes, telescopes, photography and several computer programs to help me understand that He created us as characters in His spoken language of invisible vibrations, our true existence within Him. These vibrations are used to form illusions that we believed were real ever since man woke up in this universe ( make-believe world ).

God used buildings to teach His first saints how He would destroy this world at the end of this first age, which is going to happen very soon now. He had His prophets write about this age ending catastrophe called prophecies and used us saints to read them as He teaches us the knowledge to learn exactly how He planned on having the magma inside the earth blow through the crust and melt everything back into hot molten lava known as the lake of fire in Revelation.

2 Peter 3
10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

Revelation 21
1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
8: But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."

Revelation 19
17: Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly in midheaven, "Come, gather for the great supper of God,
18: to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great."
19: And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who sits upon the horse and against his army.
20: And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had worked the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.

Sulfur is a key word to let us saints know that God's fire is hot molten lava that contains lots of sulfur.

I have the knowledge of God so if you have any questions, be free to ask. Like He said, "Ask and you shall receive".
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 8:58:32 PM
At 11/2/2014 5:08:19 PM, annanicole wrote:

Not really.

Also, how come?

I'll have to look back up there and see if I even intimated that "nothing can ever change the course of history." I said that the fact that this ruler or that ruler happened to embrace and encourage or mandate that particular religion has nothing to do with the accuracy/veracity/genuineness of that religion.

No, that's what you are saying now. I was responding to:

"Because the fact that a ruler here and there embracing a certain religion, when then meant that their subjects embraced it, is irrelevant."

The context in which you said it was irrelevant is in the OP:

"Is it at all disheartening to religious people to know that the reason that they are faithful to their religion solely due to one persons decision? What I mean by this is that most people follow a religion because at one point in history a certain person, generally a ruler, decided that their people would follow one particular religion, often for political gain."

Nowhere in any of that is the "accuracy/veracity/genuineness of that religion". It's about a decision happening and the course of history being changed. See my bold.

So, please, stop the pretense.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:04:28 PM
At 11/2/2014 8:56:02 PM, bornofgod wrote:

God's plan called the beast ( found in the books of Daniel and Revelation ) was used to teach His people how to build things. To begin the process of teaching His people how to build things ( false gods ), He chose certain leaders to look up into the stars after the flood revealed them and use imaginary lines to connect them into shapes. Shapes like triangles, squares, rectangles, intersections, etc. became building shapes to be used by these chosen leaders to construct their false gods ( buildings, characters for language purposes, etc. )

God had planned on using the latest technology in place today to use as analogies to teach me exactly how He created us as information first, then formed into illusions called flesh and other objects that we perceive in this make-believe world we're living in. He used the computer, cinema, microscopes, telescopes, photography and several computer programs to help me understand that He created us as characters in His spoken language of invisible vibrations, our true existence within Him. These vibrations are used to form illusions that we believed were real ever since man woke up in this universe ( make-believe world ).

God used buildings to teach His first saints how He would destroy this world at the end of this first age, which is going to happen very soon now. He had His prophets write about this age ending catastrophe called prophecies and used us saints to read them as He teaches us the knowledge to learn exactly how He planned on having the magma inside the earth blow through the crust and melt everything back into hot molten lava known as the lake of fire in Revelation.

2 Peter 3
10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

Revelation 21
1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
8: But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."

Revelation 19
17: Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly in midheaven, "Come, gather for the great supper of God,
18: to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great."
19: And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who sits upon the horse and against his army.
20: And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had worked the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.

Sulfur is a key word to let us saints know that God's fire is hot molten lava that contains lots of sulfur.

I have the knowledge of God so if you have any questions, be free to ask. Like He said, "Ask and you shall receive".

And this is supposed to happen in January? Why would we even need to know it's all an illusion if it's all going to end just like that?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:05:24 PM
At 11/2/2014 5:12:56 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Also of social, political, economical, and ethical beliefs...what follows from that?

That there is no inherent truth or validity to any of these things. If you are born in Iran you will be a Muslim. If you are born in the Bible belt of America you will almost certainly be a Christian. Similar statements can be made for the other beliefs you have listed.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:09:07 PM

That's why no contact from ET yet. We haven't grown out of adolescence. :-)
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:15:41 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:04:28 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

2 Peter 3

Revelation 21

Revelation 19

And this is supposed to happen in January? Why would we even need to know it's all an illusion if it's all going to end just like that?

I will be killed in January after 42 months of testifying to the invisible Word of God where we exist as God's characters. Sometime after I'm killed, the earth will begin shaking violently and everything on this earth will be destroyed within one hour. It won't make any difference to man what happens after the last man dies in this destruction because no one will be around to witness the melting of the earth's crust.

Only God's chosen believers and saints learn about this age ending illusion which won't matter to any of us when we awaken in new bodies in the next dream ( New Heaven and Earth.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Since you were chosen to be one of His believers, you will know the Truth before your body dies in this make-believe world. This is nothing to brag about anyway because we won't remember having this conversation or anything that happened to us in this first age.

I Corinthians 1:
25: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26: For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth;
27: but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong,
28: God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,
29: so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:57:09 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:15:41 PM, bornofgod wrote:

2 Peter 3

Revelation 21

Revelation 19

I will be killed in January after 42 months of testifying to the invisible Word of God where we exist as God's characters. Sometime after I'm killed, the earth will begin shaking violently and everything on this earth will be destroyed within one hour. It won't make any difference to man what happens after the last man dies in this destruction because no one will be around to witness the melting of the earth's crust.

Only God's chosen believers and saints learn about this age ending illusion which won't matter to any of us when we awaken in new bodies in the next dream ( New Heaven and Earth.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Since you were chosen to be one of His believers, you will know the Truth before your body dies in this make-believe world. This is nothing to brag about anyway because we won't remember having this conversation or anything that happened to us in this first age.

I Corinthians 1:
25: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26: For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth;
27: but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong,
28: God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,

I would appreciate it if you could take your preaching somewhere else. It has no relation to the question at hand.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:06:47 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:57:09 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:
At 11/2/2014 9:15:41 PM, bornofgod wrote:

2 Peter 3

Revelation 21

Revelation 19

Isaiah 65

I Corinthians 1:

I would appreciate it if you could take your preaching somewhere else. It has no relation to the question at hand.

My post wasn't meant for you. It was meant for the person I replied to. Besides, I'm not preaching to find a believer. I've already found one of My believers and now I am teaching that person.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:09:36 PM

Are you disheartened that the only reason you exist is because of two people's decision?
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:12:22 PM
At 11/2/2014 10:09:36 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:

Are you disheartened that the only reason you exist is because of two people's decision?

That is a separate conversation entirely. Their "decision" as you put it did not shape my beliefs and interests.However my good friend Vlad converted to Orthodox shaped the lives of millions of Russians today.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:18:18 PM
At 11/2/2014 8:58:32 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 11/2/2014 5:08:19 PM, annanicole wrote:

Not really.

Also, how come?

No, that's what you are saying now. I was responding to:

"Because the fact that a ruler here and there embracing a certain religion, when then meant that their subjects embraced it, is irrelevant."

The context in which you said it was irrelevant is in the OP:

"Is it at all disheartening to religious people to know that the reason that they are faithful to their religion solely due to one persons decision? What I mean by this is that most people follow a religion because at one point in history a certain person, generally a ruler, decided that their people would follow one particular religion, often for political gain."

That's his assumption. Not mine.

Nowhere in any of that is the "accuracy/veracity/genuineness of that religion". It's about a decision happening and the course of history being changed. See my bold.

So, please, stop the pretense.

No pretense. He said,

"Is it at all disheartening to religious people to know that the reason that they are faithful to their religion solely due to one persons decision"

Then he wants to know if his wild assumption makes a lick of difference to me.

The answer is, "No."
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:22:13 PM
At 11/2/2014 10:12:22 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

That is a separate conversation entirely. Their "decision" as you put it did not shape my beliefs and interests.However my good friend Vlad converted to Orthodox shaped the lives of millions of Russians today.

Fair enough. I didn't really put much thought into that analogy before posting XD

I'm not actually a theist, so I wouldn't know. But there are a lot of things in modern society that are the result of a few people's actions, so I don't imagine that such an observation relating to religion it would or should have a big impact on theists.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:38:36 PM

Not any more than a Russian or Chinese atheist would be disheartened that they probably acquired their views from the anti-religious government.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 10:46:04 PM
At 11/2/2014 10:38:36 PM, TN05 wrote:

Not any more than a Russian or Chinese atheist would be disheartened that they probably acquired their views from the anti-religious government.

True, but I wouldn't say that those governments enforce atheism as the governments in the Middle Ages enforced Christianity, Islam, etc.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 11:00:37 PM
At 11/2/2014 10:22:13 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 11/2/2014 10:12:22 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

Fair enough. I didn't really put much thought into that analogy before posting XD

I'm not actually a theist, so I wouldn't know. But there are a lot of things in modern society that are the result of a few people's actions, so I don't imagine that such an observation relating to religion it would or should have a big impact on theists.

I agree. This premise does not solely relate to religion, however since I knew it would create the most controversy, I decided to put it here :)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 11:17:49 PM
At 11/2/2014 9:05:24 PM, dee-em wrote:

That there is no inherent truth or validity to any of these things. If you are born in Iran you will be a Muslim. If you are born in the Bible belt of America you will almost certainly be a Christian. Similar statements can be made for the other beliefs you have listed.

So you've invalidated ALL beliefs?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 11:46:13 PM

Well, Atheist, I think you raise up a great point. How Mithraism won out instead of Christianity, chances are the majority of us would be followers of Mithraism (which no doubt would have splintered into numerous denominations at this point).

It shows you how much humans are at the mercy of history and controlled by circumstances.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2014 3:29:58 AM
At 11/2/2014 11:17:49 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/2/2014 9:05:24 PM, dee-em wrote:

So you've invalidated ALL beliefs?

Hmmm ... let me backtrack a little. You said 'beliefs' but those things you listed don't fall into the same category as religion. Religious belief is based on faith only. Systems in society, politics, and the economy can be tested and evaluated to see how well they work in practice. Individual cases could be made that some systems function better than others and are more successful.

Therefore, I will retract what I said earlier. My comments about no inherent truth apply to religion only where no empirical evidence exists.